Where is the tearing noticeable in xfce the most? Video games and youtube videos...

Where is the tearing noticeable in xfce the most? Video games and youtube videos? Will i notice it if iam not playing video games at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Tear-free_video
launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/ archive/ubuntu/ppa
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The tearing is fucking E V E R Y W H E R E. Scrolling webpages was a nightmare. Just use Compton, you don't have much choice.

It's one of the many reasons why I went back to Windows.

shit mate, you think it will work on laptop with cancer nvidia optimus technology, fucking shit

>just installed xfce today
>didn't really notice this until now b/c haven't used much video, I did notice a little bit of it when scrolling web pages using mouse wheel

So I launched a chinese cartoon of mine and WHAT THE FUCK, this is unwatchable. I'd rather have a heavy-ass GNOME than this shit, I'll try compton I suppose tho

Please do and report did compton work for you. I am interested

mpv shouldn't have tearing anywhere, otherwise use MATE instead of XFCE

Hmm, then I'll need to investigate further. I mean, I did use mpv.

Everywhere. Just disable the composition from the settings menu and then install compton, add it to start up programs and you'll be fine

>xfce + compton, custom xorg.conf
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Tear-free_video
No screen tearing at all.
Works flawlessly with debian and void. Dunno about other distros.

No vsync, at least not by default. It's one of the main reasons I moved to KDE. If your hardware isn't absolute shit, it's actually lighter than people make it out to be.

What are you running? Thinkpad X230 with Core i5 3320/Intel HD 4000 and 8GB DDR3 1600 here, and the only problem I have with KDE is that it takes a long time to load from my slowass hard drive when I boot.

Where did this "tearing" meme start?

I used Linux from 2004-2011 and there was no tearing at that time.

Granted it was on a notebook screen with integrated graphics. Does tearing happen at larger resolutions? On certain models of graphics card? Because recently everybody talks about it like it's a given.

>use xfce
>no tearing
>anons always crying about tearing while using smooth scrolling or watching autistic cartoons
>realize I don't use smooth scrolling or watch autistic cartoons
Feels good to be human.

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Tear-free_video
That helped. Thanks for letting me not google it!

Seems like mine was Intel's fault, too.

Not him, but I have an issue on my T420 running KDE where if the screen is turned off when I put it on standby it makes the thing lock up most of the time when I resume the system again. It's easy enough to work around but it's still annoying as shit. If I find a way to fix it then it would be perfect for me.

That's what you get for using the retarded X11 protocol which dates back to literally 1987.

OP here
I have laptop with nvidia+intel gpu optimus shit
will it work for me too?

what distro do you recommend to go with xfce? I was thinking Manjaro because I was using Manjaro KDE for over a year

kms drivers. Also we don't use crts anymore.

install gentoo. No really.

The alternative is to install a working desktop environment where you don't have to fix stuff yourself just to make it usable.

Install Cinnamon.

Does cinnamon has global search from main menu?

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "Intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "Pageflip" "true"
Option "ExaNoComposite" "false"
Option "Tiling" "true"
EndSection

This will fix screen tearing with intel gpu
Save it as 20-intel.conf and put it in your xorg.conf.d

I'm running it on Fedora. Works pretty ok. Distro should not matter too much. Pick something easy to install (ie *buntu, Mint, Fedora, even Debian, some more obscure easy distros) if you're a n00b.

I only added TearFree and seemed to fix it. I'll see if some others make sense too.

SNA was causing graphical glitches for me lat time I tried it on Intel.

The most thing i miss on xfce is Dolphin. Can dolphin work the same on xfce? Are there any better alternatives to shitty thunar?

pcmanfm

Then just fucking install it.

xfce is made for cpus which were made before 2005.

What distro are you on?

Why don't they preload this on their isos?

Probably.
Xubuntu has a bug that sometimes makes the screen blank on lid close. I didn't experience it on debian and fedora.
Use this config for compton:
backend = "glx";
paint-on-overlay = true;
glx-no-stencil = true;
glx-no-rebind-pixmap = true;
vsync = "opengl-swc";
shadow = false;

Back then people only used kde and gnome with the meme compositor, compiz.
Since Gnome and Kde went shit more people are trying xfce and lxde, that do not use a hardware accelerated compositor by default.

Because the safer (standard) settings are more safe and obviously work on more systems. Depending on your gpu model you may not experience any tear tearing at all. You have to adjust the settings on all recent intel gpus though.

>hardware accelerated compositor by default.
so thats the reason why kde is heavier on resources? it runs on gpu at all times instead of just cpu?

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }" if you're using an Nvidia card and enjoy the absence of tearing even without a compositor

No. The homosexual visual effects and poor design choices are the main reasons.

Oh yeah that too. But I cant say that Breeze dark is so good on my shit eyes. Dark Dolphin with blue folders , just beautiful. Fuck

The fuck is wrong with compiz?

meant to say that I cant say anything against Breeze dark

>be me 1 month ago
>enable this meme
>no tearing anymore
>now scroll at 3 fps
fuck linux
>i'd like to interjec...
fuck off shill

what is tearing?

From a technical standpoint not much. But it's fucking heavy on resources.
I called it "meme compositor" because the only reason people used it so much was the cube-desktop/jelly-windows/other-retarded-effects

Kubuntu 16.10, my T420 doesn't have the NVidia GPU either so it's not Optimus being a shit.

It's like when you're scrolling down a webpage and you can see the screen sorta split into two halves, usually on a horizontal or diagonal axis. It typically happens when your system tries to update the screen faster than the screen itself can handle. Vsync locks things to the refresh rate of your monitor, which in most cases is 60hz so 60fps. This prevents this "splitting" from happening.

>But it's fucking heavy on resources.
It's not, unless you're talking about the new C++ compiz. Hell, I've used it on my netbook.
>I called it "meme compositor" because the only reason people used it so much was the cube-desktop/jelly-windows/other-retarded-effects
KWIN and Mutter also have such animations.

>kubuntu
Try KDE Neon instead.

It's a problem I used to have with Xubuntu, so maybe Kubuntu is configured similarly. I'm on Antergos so odds are I'm running newer graphics drivers than you.

Anyway, I opened System Settings, then went to the Display and Monitor settings, and the Compositor section under that. The setting my mouse cursor is pointing at is the one you need to change.

>Back then people only used kde and gnome with the meme compositor, compiz.
The meme gnome ran fine on my atom netbook. Mine was dual core, so one of the better ones with half-decent intel graphix, but still.

I'm kinda surprised at how heavy DE:s nowadays are desu. Or maybe my expectations have grown, I dunno. But like 6 years ago I was using shit hardware and didn't really need to worry about lightweight - I mostly had Atoms and Pentium M:s. Now I'm using slightly newer shit hardware - C2D and pretty low voltage i3 - but Gnome 3 really made me look into these light alternatives.

>It's not, unless you're talking about the new C++ compiz. Hell, I've used it on my netbook.
It is. Do you know what a X compositor is supposed to do? They don't need more than 15 mb.

>KWIN and Mutter also have such animations.
Idk about that. But I didn't say they didn't.
I only said people used it solely for the visual effects.

Reading comprehension, retard.

Compiz is not a compositor, it's a compositing WM, it does other things besides compositing.

>screen tearing is a toggleable option in the driver config and it's turned on by default

You don't need to load both if you are not going to use it.
A window manager is minimal. It should use less resources than a compositor.

Heh so your attention span is not enough for running a superior os like linux on a thinkpad.

The option apparently runs "another compositor" in a way so its heavier if you turn it on. Along with the normal compositor, I mean.

So turning it on by default wouldn't be nice for the folks who don't need it.

Still makes me giggle a bit whenever the solution to a GNU/Linux problem is the equivalent of writing "just make it work please" in a config file.

Sorry noob here
Using KDE(manjaro), can I just go with pacman -S xfce4 and later after reboot i will be asked to choose DE for the session or do I need to configure something else?

It should end up in your display manager as an option.

I switched to lightdm.

Apparently not. Never tried it. That kinda sucks.

I have no screen tearing while scrolling, playing vidya or watching weebtoons. Using Debian.

When I used Xubuntu in the past I did have those problems, but I figured they fixed them already.

If you're on a nvidia card, just turn on FullCompositionPipeline. I've never had tearing in Xfce, only learned it was actually a thing because other people complain about it.

Nope, still fucks up with those settings. I remember playing around with everything in here and not having much luck. KWin does manage to restart itself in most cases, but sometimes that can take a long ass time.

Maybe try installing a newer display driver from the xorg-edgers PPA. It's been a while since I've used Ubuntu, but I think that's how you get them.

Read this before you try it:
launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/ archive/ubuntu/ppa

Who says so? The resource usage should be adequate to the features offered.

This might've done the job actually, cheers for that. Can't say for sure if it's worked or not but it's come out of standby a few times without blowing up in my face at least.

Nevermind it just locked up again. Might just say fuck it and try a different distro at this rate.

nice shilling.samefag