Why the fuck do enterprises only want Java developers?

Why the fuck do enterprises only want Java developers?

They dont.

playing it safe, current agile best practices include the interchangeable mediocre fulldevops

you spelled c# wrong

and the reason is legacy code... and Java "Just werks(tm)" (in the case of C# - many are indoctrinated by le ASP and ASP.net meme *granted it's like way better now*)

Easy to use and can grow old without being obsolete.
Just a seriously fucking bitch to maintain...

They don't. But there's a fairly high turnover of them, so you see a disproportionate number of postings for those jobs.

disclaimer: I don't really like Java but,
* it's effective at large scales (hadoop uses JVM)
* it's taught in schools
* it has a ton of libraries for various things
* it's one of the oldest 'portable' languages
* it's relatively secure (vm'd)
* lots of older bigger companies have tons of java dependencies for legacy infrastructure.

this, it is great at solving problems otherwise would not arise using a proper stack

Why do you want to work for big enterprises so badly?

six figure salary, health insurance, 401(k), applicable experience? idk. to name a few offhand.

I remember when Java™ was the new thing, now Java™ is around for legacy support.

Fuck I'm old.

Honestly I don't get it, Java is not efficient.

I felt the same way for a while, it's still used in really big systems. One of the clients I worked for was a forklift manufacturer their entire hardware reporting microservice infrastructure is on a java stack

>not learning FORTRAN for that long-term viability

this was just a jumble of HR manager buzzwords

English, please, HRNigger.

>that long-term viability

this year i had the experience of a developer who used many kinds of platforms for making simulations and what not but didn't know what a makefile is or what revision control is.

and then he tells you "I copied the test fortran files from your project and ran make but it did nothing".

I get it, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You must chose between enjoying your work, or having all that money. What is more important? If it's the money, then you better start studying for those Java certificates..

Because Java just werks™
I've seen a few companies that are getting Scala developers, since Scala is the new hip thing and it integrates seamlessly with existing infrastructure.

But 9/10, if you're hired as a Java developer, you will exist almost exclusively to maintain legacy applications.

portability.

This guy is largely correct but forgot the most important reason: java code can be churned out and maintained by an endless supply of cheap pajeet indentured servants.

>you can hire dumbasses to code in it
>stuff will work so poorly that you can sell support contracts to maintain it

>Java is not efficient
bullshit

Java is designed so a crew of a hundred dipshits will still be able to cobble together something that works.

That's why they want Java developers.

It's cheap to hire thousands of low-pay java code monkeys.
Source: Im a java code monkey at an enterprise company

They want you to maintain software that is already written in Java. Which is a lot of software. This also has the side-effect of more software being written in Java, which perpetuates the cycle. Small startups have the luxury of breaking this cycle.

because java is for professional object oriented programming developers

POOP is the java paradigm

Because all of the enterprise's code is in Java. Nothing to do with the language itself.

my work is alright, i don't write java I just support java sometimes. contrary to popular belief having all this cash makes life pretty sweet.

yeah you guys are right those are two huge points I left out rofl

it just werks

it's really simple. no autistic symbols and shit, no autistic compiling, no autistic pointers and you can get almost the same speed as c with jni and unsafe.

It's the only language besides javascript that Pajeets know.

You can break into that salary range (barely) doing python at small shops. Small shops doesn't have 401k usually, but they will pay in that range. A young stud doing python with

I know, I work at a small shop--use mostly Python and Scala. I just do consulting for big companies.

... besides PHP, JS & Python

>Scala is the new hip thing
No that was some years ago.
Now we have kotlin.

Startup time is what kills java. For long enough running jobs, it becomes irrelevant. A TON of work had been put into making the java compiler great at optimizing, and a ton of work has gone into the JVM. One the startup time is over, no interpreted language gets close for runtime efficiency, and only the best supported compiled langues can compete.

less working hours of engineers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>minuscule performance differences between languages
all the retards talking about pajeets, etc. are retards.

>agile
>interchangeable
>devops
wew

Because java is good you wank stain. You kids get memed on so often. They teach java in school and it is the most used language with the most jobs for a reason

I am making 82k right now with a 401k and benifits after 2 years out of college writing java. I before too long but i will likely have to find another job to do that.

because java is unironically really good

no its slow as fuck you sick fuck! poop nose!

neet pls

6 figure salary?
>H1-B VISA
>Poo in loo accepts a modest 60k

The JVM is still faster than .NET Framework. Especially when doing JVM on Linux versus .NET on Windows Server

How is Scala in a real work environment? I'm working in a python shop now, and other than the usual python annoyances, it's not bad. Pip is a bastard, and out all uses more memory than it really should.

@59819093
java is dumb poop nose

Make the move soon. The morons I have coming in for interviews couldn't fizzbuzz to save their life, or ssh into a box and display their path. When that happens, the market is hot. Probably overly hot. Sucks for employers, but it means it's the right time to get the biggest salary you can command.

Hoopla

As much as I hate .Net, really? The reason it was faster than java in the early 2000s, is that the bytecode was designed to directly converted to native x86 instructions. I know Java had made great strides in the past decade, but it's still surprising if it's that much better now.

Because if you learn java, you basically know everything else. Java = python + Javascript + php + xml

most poo in the loos cant do what I do

Its nice, I use it with Spark on top of Hadoop and Mesos. It has a lot of really convenient functions for putting things in serial and parallel. plays nice w/ Java things. Seems performant on the proper hardware.

What does your small shop do?

My job is fucjing comfy though. 10 - 15 minute communite and you can work whatever hours you want

we have people in automation and development. I mostly work with people to set up resources for whatever analytics they're trying to do. Usually simulations or long-term streaming processes.

Why are you comparing virtual machines on different operating systems? Why not JVM on Windows versus CLR on Windows, or JVM on Linux vs CLR on Linux?

So data science? Figured it would be something like that if you are using python.

People who go with using the JVM will typically use it under a Linux/Solaris operating system.

I also smoke a ton of weed.

why are you pricks so obsessed with working for shlomo and chad?

We all do