Ultrawide Thread

Looking to pick up my first ultrawide and had a couple of questions. How does 4:3 and 16:9 content look on one? Does it automatically get boxed or am I going to have to fiddle with settings to fix image stretching issues? Any monitors you all recommend? Post setups?

>How does 4:3 and 16:9 content look on one
Black bars on the sides to effectively make the monitor 16:9 or 4:3. It doesn't stretch or anything. One thing to note though is that Netflix is retarded and will have black bars on top and to the sides of all their 21:9 content. Also if this is for vidya a lot of semi older games will not support 21:9 but many new(er) games will.

>Any monitors you all recommend?
LG makes some pretty good ones. I'm currently using their 29UM57 one. One major thing is that you should not get anything under 29" (maybe even 30") as there will be no vertical room.

>Post setups?
My desk is a mess so I'll just post a speccy.

Ultrawide is shit unless you go with the 1440px vertical (generally 34" and up).

If you're going with the 2440x1080 or whatever, that's complete retardation.

2560x1080 is a perfectly fine resolution.

Ultrawide is a meme

t. poorfag who will never know the glory of ultrawides

Keep your chin up, all new tech comes with tradeoffs. UW still commands an obscene price premium and there isn't a single one of them that supports >120Hz Gsync/Freesync at a proper 3440x1440 or higher resolution yet.

This holiday season is going to be fucking nuts, though. Prepare your wallet now.

Nah it's shit. I'd much rather have 2560x1440. 2560x1080 is a downgrade from two shitty 1080p screens, even taking the bezel into account.

>Dells ultrawide IPS panel is curved

why not a curve?

Kinda pointless for for an IPS panel with good viewing angles

this don't bother going for an ultrawide unless its 3440x1440

Even when you have dual IPS monitors you don't put them side by side, they're at a slight angle.

I lmao at kids who buy ultrawides

LOLOLOL

how dumb can you honestly be to fall for the ultra wide meme

I can't wait to get one, going to be much cheaper than buying two high res 5:4 monitors and I won't have any bezels between them since it's just one display. Laugh all you want, I'll be doing the same at your 16:9 monitors.

I'm happy with my 30" 2560x1600 16:10 unit. Wide enough for me.

Pic related.
16:9 content pillar boxes (such as overwatch)
Netflix 21:9 content has bars on every side cuz Netflix is stupid as shit.
Most games fill it beautifully, atleast what I've played. (WoW, Rise of the Tomb Raider)
I like the LG ones. They work great. Mine is 29" 1080p. It's good!

Bought my Acer Predator X34 about a year ago. Just upgraded to 1080 Ti so I can enjoy higher visual quality for muh gaymin. The 3440x1440 gaymer life is not for those on a budget, though. I don't recommend it unless you have disposable income (around $2500+ for the pc and monitor)

For older games which don't support UW, there's an app that patches them to work. google Flawless Widescreen.

Curve makes more sense for monitors, since you sit much closer to them than a curved tv, which sitting far back negates the need for a curve.

>comparing prices to a legacy tech that hasn't been built in mass quantities since the 2000s.

5:4 monitors are still very much a thing, they're expensive as fuck too.

Yeah they're a niche thing with low production rates.

And your point is?

Consider usable space OP.
pic related shows 30" at 16:10, 27" at 16:9, and the ultrawide 29 and 34

Point is you're comparing the price of a stupid configuration that no one in their right mind would buy and claiming your idea is good since it compares so well! Classic strawman, if I remember my fallacies.

It's not a strawman. My choice is between two high res 5:4 monitors, which I would have to pay out the ass for, or a 21:9 monitor, which is much more affordable and is essentially two 5:4 monitors plus a little extra horizontal space. 21:9 wins.

If you can't interpret the chart, just take away that a 30" at 16:10 has only slightly less actual area than 34" ultrawide, and a 27" WQHD has actually MORE area than a 29" ultrawide.