Biostar shows off the X370GTN Mini-ITX AM4 motherboard

Should I settle for the Biostar 370x converted into an mITX board, or wait for other brands to produce an mITX board?

Otherwise, what are people's opinions about mini ITX PCs?

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/reviews/7594/biostar-racing-z170gt7-intel-z170-motherboard-review/index11.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138439
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>biostar
The fuck is wrong with you?

Wait, for the love of stallman

What's wrong with biostar ?

>Biostar

It's all made in the same chink factory, but come on you can do better.

This is a comparison of two AM4 Biostar boards coming out for different chipsets, both SFF. Seems like the only difference is a slower M.2. speed, and a slight difference of the USB 3.0 (4/2 vs, 2/4) which I don't even understand.

Nothing really. This board is just full of brand whores. Anything that's not Asus/Gigabyte/MSI is immediately trash, despite it all being the same chink shit made by slave labour.

What's the difference between brands though? Durability?

As far as I'm aware, putting the 370x chipset on an mITX board wasn't exactly a forethought. So it's unique?

biostar gained a bad reputation because in ye olden times many prebuilts came with shitty bottom of the barrel biostar mobos with liquid electrolyte capacitors.
my first PC had a biostar mobo and after a while I got the blue cloud of death. pretty exciting.

Another Mini-ITX motherboard without Wi-Fi and DisplayPort/HDMI 2.0. I could understand if they were leaving them off the A300/A320 boards, but top chipset boards?

There's little difference between comparably-priced boards from any brand. People just pay for the logo on the box. It sure ain't for support, because Asus are the most popular motherboard brand and have the shittiest support around. Meanwhile nobody even considers EVGA boards, despite their amazing customer service.

>bcod

So it was a chemical weapon?

>DVI
why?

The deep flaw with AM4 ITX is the mounting bracket is so huge they can't fit any additional hardware such as wifi or bluetooth onto the board, let alone anything like M.2

If you want Ryzen the smallest form factor you can reasonably get is microatx

Yeah I was kind of disgruntled about that.

>dvi
>2017
>futureproof

it has m.2 though, on the backside.

>reasonably get

You don't think there's going to be anything much better coming as far as mITX? Are MicroITX reasonably small?

Sorry for the questions, I haven't built a computer since 2006

When was the last time Biostar won any overclocking awards?

rely meks u fink

Damn, the OP is FUCKED. His plans to use LN2 to go for world records overclocks are RUINED.

oh nothing, if you want to crash and burn spectacularly.

be sure to get it on tape, though.

maybe if their shit didn't catch fire on base frequencies, someone might try overclocking on biostar

OC capability is directly proportional to the quality of components used.

There's a reason nobody uses biostar boards professionally, they are built by the lowest bidder.

I assume 4/2 means 4 board ports, 2 motherboard headers, and vice-versa for the lower-end part

Yeah I have near zero interest in overclocking. Then again I haven't used a desktop PC in about a year, and my 2006 desktop lasted me 10 years, so.

Yeah, or it could be because all the "professional overclockers" have sponsorship deals with much bigger companies like Asus and MSI.

like I said, good luck running solid on BASE clocks, nevermind overclocking.

Maybe I should wait for a different Mini board then. But then again I'm rethinking Mini all together because of the lack of available features.

tweaktown.com/reviews/7594/biostar-racing-z170gt7-intel-z170-motherboard-review/index11.html

Take your FUD elsewhere, Pajeet. Biostar's newer gaming boards are just fine.

Wait for an A series board then. Ryzen is still getting its performance tweaked, I wouldn't bet on biostar updating their bios after a year,

That's exactly what it is, who needs world records when you are sponsored :^)

Waiting is getting pretty annoyin desu. I was originally waiting for the R7 chips to come out and I was going to buy one. Then I decided an R5 was more my speed right now. Now that R5 is about to release, I can't find a motherboard to use it with. No amount of extra money will get me a computer sooner.

The biostar itx isn't even out yet, you're waiting regardless.

Do yourself a favour, spend an extra £10 on a more reputable brand, do a little overclocking both on chip and memory and you're sorted.

Also consider MATX.

Money isn't a problem. I guess my tiny gaming PC fantasy won't be a reality this time around.

>still no decent µATX board let alone even a single Mini-ITX on the market

GG AMD

Only Supermicro is acceptable tier
The rest are shit tier

I'm waiting for Computex to see what the best ITX board will be. Biostar released the first x370 board a month before the other manufacturers came to market, so I assume we'll start hearing more about the x300 chipset in a few weeks.

As for that specific board, I'd say it's worth it to wait. It doesn't have integrated wifi or bluetooth, and without seeing what the other venfors bring to the table/reviews of this specific configuration, we don't know if the VRMs are capable of sustaining high clocks.

I already bought a 1700 (had to burn a 10% off amazon coupon before they started charging sales tax in my state) and it's painful not having to put it into. But I'm also waiting to see if there's gonna be a pared-down version of Vega that'll work in a SFF system, or if I should just upgrade to a 1070. So I don't mind waiting on mobos, since I'm guessing things are gonna start filtering out between the R5 series releasing this week, and the regular slew of Computex leaks to look forward to.

thank fuck they couldn't fit a checkered flag on it

do you think the r5/r7 will sell out? I might just wait on buying anything at all. I'm looking to buy a temp GPU when I build the PC and then get Vega once it comes out.

I think the R7s are in safe supply. They've been out for a month, and I think there was only a brief shortage for one of the SKUs.

I can't speak for the R5s. They're gonna see increased demand simply because they're more affordable. And if they offer the same gaming performance as the R7s, then a lot of people who have been on the fence about Ryzen are gonna gravitate toward the hexcores, especially with the R3 and APU models at least 3 months away.

I've got an old card to hold me over if a good mobo comes out sooner rather than later, but I'm fine with waiting until the 4th of July weekend to put everything together. Vega/1070 are gonna last me at least 2 years, and this rig has been good to me since 2013, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get everything put together.

Except MSI is lower tier too. Reliability is good but wierd board layouts, lower tier caps and not as mature bios.

I'd say best manufacturer currently is Asrock. Standard chipset feautures ie. Intel NICs/ports with the most versatile OC / Bios options.
Out of the box official ECC / rdimm support too.

Just slightly below Asus/Gigabyte on overclocking tough.

>6 audio outlets
I'm sold.

I've never had a bad experience with ASRock until recently. I bought a J4205-ITX and set it up as a headless server running Gentoo. First off the Realtek firmware was causing issues with the current version of the Linux kernel and would sometimes go into an errored state and never recover if it received a lot of traffic (but that's not really ASRock's fault). I fixed it by installing Realtek's proprietary firmware.

The second issue is that I was getting continuous lockups that spawned mce logs that pointed to the onboard CPU. I sent it in for RMA two weeks ago and have not gotten any update back yet.

AsRock managed to do it with Narrow ILM 2011v3 which is even bigger. Just wait for the people that know what they're doing.

>biostar

Just light your PC on fire now and save the disappoinment later

ASRock is only a single step above biostar

Please, years ago that may have been the case but now they're easily as good as Gigabyte. Asus is now complete trash with BIOS that's bricking board. MSI is selling shit tier caps on boards that are $300 and they've never been great. EVGA has been a complete joke since the people that knew what they were doing left for Asus.

>As good as gigabyte

No far from it it goes Asus then gigabyte and then pretty much everything else is shit tier with biostar and ASRock at the bottom MSI just a bit above them and evga nearly non existent I will die before I EVER consider asrock

You've been living in the past if you still think Asus is good. They've gone way downhill. I say this as someone that has owned their boards since 2008.

The board I just bought from them is excellent every GPU I have ever bought from then has been stellar what do you see that they are doing wrong?

Just look at the Ryzen launch. Crosshair had major bricking issues. AsRock is beating them with mem compatibility with a far cheaper board with better VRM and kit.

They completely fucked up with the 290x just using the cooler from the 780 Ti and had sub-par performance.

I had nothing but issues with the Crosshair ITX Z97 board I had from them that I've needed to RMA 3 times already. Their CS is below average and I've actually had better CS with AsRock fixing a mistake that isn't even their fault but Intel's with the C2000 Atom line.

yeah, I have Asus monitor, mobo, gpu, and laptop. laptop still going strong after 5 years, and everything else is good but newer, mobo auto OC's my 6600k to 4.2 Ghz. whats the issue with them?

So all of the issues are from their AMD line? I guess it's a good thing I don't do AMD anymore

Auto OC is a gimmick and will give you worse voltage than doing it manually.

Was recently looking at their flagship monitors. Acer of all brands is a better choice with better Freesync range. Their GPUs are fine for the most part but are no longer the clear leading choice like they used to be. Already mentioned the 290x that they were lazy as fuck on.

Did you even read? I have a Z97 board from them. Worst motherboard purchase I've ever made.

>Reliability is good
>every MSI 939 mobo ate its bios
EVERY.
SINGLE.
ONE.

Next you're going to tell me it's worth paying money for Sapphire and g.skill.

that heatsink by the cpu mount is a bit small to me

I WILL NEVER OWN ANYTHING FROM EITHER ASUS OR GIGABYTE EVERYTHING ELSE IS SHIT PERIOD I WONT EVEN GIVE THEM A SHOT

so what your saying, is if I'm a poor poojeet, i should go for something other than asus

Overpaying for a worse product is what poor people do to make themselves feel richer. So yeah, go ahead and buy Anus.

Biostar was a bad brand because of prebuilts, just as foxconn has been always and during a time was DFI (yes that DFI)

I had a few Biostar mobos years ago (am2, 471, 775) and never had a problem, the 471 had shitty caps tho. And the AM2 (hammer chipset with GeForce 8100 chipset) was flashed with a wrong model bios and worked fine but fucked the integrated video bios.

The worst brands i ever tried have beem ECS-PcChips (had an e2160 clocked @3.4 with a p49g tho) but always have fucked up bios and drivers.

Asus resells the same fucking board with other names as evo or pro or plus and doesnt release drivers for the same old models (i have a m5a97 with the drivers from a m5a97 pro+ or some shit like that)

Gigabyte has always been rock solid for me, but the last one i used was a an early EFI bios with a white shitty interface that i hated. I never had tried asrock.

Im thinking about bulding an am4 machine with an 1600 but im considering waiting till the am4+ with the apus based on Zen+ and maybe...just maybe DDR5 support and a proper memory controller (yeah i know, shitty ilusions) my 8320 is doing fine with the vms i run and i do very little gayming.

>nobody even considers EVGA boards
>go to their site
>only intel motherboards

I wonder

>DDR5

DDR5 isn't coming to consumers until 2020. By then we'll already have AM5

>this is what anusfags actually belive

I know there are other boards with m.2 on the back side, but isn't overheating a concern? M.2 SSDs get pretty hot and depriving it of circulating air seems like a bad idea.

So waht's an unofficial rank/tier of motherboard brands?

>trying to rank brands
Stop that. Rank individual models instead.

I really dont understand a lot of the hate for biostar, just because theyre not a top tier brand doesnt mean theyre bad.
Yeah back in the day they made some shit OEM hardware comparable to foxconn today, but their modern stuff is just fine.

Ive been using one of these 30$ lga 1150 boards for a while now and its just fine

and more on this, after the more enthusiast/pc builder crowd was steered away from them due to that shitty reputation, they put quite a lot of effort into making their high end stuff really nice

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138439

For Ryzen it's

AsRock - best X370
Gigabyte - best B350
Asus - overpriced
BIOSTAR - cheap
MSI - low tier caps/mosfets on $300 board (fuck off MSI)

I'm buttmad it's still the only mitx to be seen.

>AsRock - best
We've come a long way

Asus got too greedy on their brand recognition. AsRock offers everything the Crosshair VI does plus some for close to the price of the Prime. Asus doesn't even include a WiFi card on the VI, their fucking flagship. How jewish can you get? Not to mention how much smoother AsRock's launch was with BIOS updates.

>DisplayPort/HDMI 2.0
pointless until the APUs are released, by which time there should be a range of itx boards to choose from

my am3+ biostar ran perfect for 5 years until I upgraded, can't say the same for the two MSI boards previous to it

The only thing missing on the ASRock boards is dual uefi.

My miTX has a M2 slot, but fuck it's expensive and the overheating issue. I want the latest hotness, wat do?

>dubs confirm biostar is good quality
>posting from my biostar hi-fi a70u3p
>a10-7860k underclocked & underwatted (3.6ghz @ 45w)
>cozy a f senpai

Posting from a Biostar X370GT7. I have my 1700x OCd to 4 Ghz at stock voltage. ram is at 2933 CAS14. Only thing missing from bios is BCLCK adjustments, otherwise it's AOK.

this is why i got a z270i Strix, though it doesnt seem to have made much difference.

That shit looks so cramped. How is the temps?
I don't understand how people can enjoy running this CPU as it outputs so much heat and was marketed to be "power efficient"

>outputs so much heat

No thats kaby lake.

(different user btw)

Ryzen runs cool for 8c/16t and is very power efficient. The 1700x and 1800x reports temps 20 degrees higher for whatever dumb as shit reason so many still think these chips run hot.

The offset is so when xfr kicks in your cooling ramps up accordingly. It is just a way to ensure thermal headroom.

I guess since that one literal housefire board AsRock got way better at qc, I have two of their FM2 ITX boards with 8 SATA (perfect for cheap Node 304 server builds) and sold three more boxes with same board and a dozen of other systems, both Intel and AMD, and never encountered any issues or complaints from my clients.
Asus on the other hand has been going downhill since around 2010 with shit bios, shit integrated extras, shit qc and shit service. Out of 15 Asus boards I've worked with recently 10 had some minor or major issues.

What cooler?

It can be, if you go with Intel instead of AMD

>I'd say best manufacturer currently is Asrock.
Budget Asus is better than Asus? How?

>what are people's opinions about mini ITX PCs?
Pretty pointless. Looks kinda cool but that's about it. Unless you live in some kind of micro apartment or like a camper, it's not practical.

You're paying more to have less expansion.

if people wanted expansion, laptops wouldn't sell as well as they do

No, you should always never buy ASUS, all of their motherboards are garbage these days, from top to bottom m

Laptops sell as well because normies want them cheap and portable (and they don't care that if monitor or keyboard dies, they pretty much have to buy one all over again). ITX boards are pretty much neither.

what? laptops = mobility, that's why they sell so well in this mobile world of ours lad :^)

can confirm, something as simple as supporting all the memory slots being filled is buggy as fuck on more recent asus motherboards (this is not tied to a single model btw)

Biostar is a solid cheap board, I got 10 years experience with them, use all 65 of them for my LAN center.
Make me wonder why Sup Forums thinks Biostar is a bad mobo.

>ass pained morons getting over rused over a brand name
>no proof at all.

Ugggh this is what they said about asrock too and now look at them.

Oh just go and stay go.
t.gigbyte owner

No enough idiotic trumped up features intended for 'enthusiasts' aka fedora tippers who only care about gamer aesthetics, you know, the usual.

and mobility = your mom shoving it around her desk when it annoys her or she's cleaning