/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Installation
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for anime

second for void

is it possible to make one keybind start urxvt in tiling mode and a different keybind start urxvt in floating mode in i3?

Lisp is kinda cool I guess

I tried
bindsym $mod+c exec urxvtc; floating toggle

but that just spawns urxvtc in tiling mode and when I press it again it spawns another one in tiling mode and floats the one before

When will devuan be out of beta?

when its ready

When? It's showed to be released Q1 2017. If it's not ready by may the project is dead.

@1.0

Should I even use a DE if all the ones I've used so far have given me tons of problems with screen tearing? Practically all I use my computer for is the file manager, a video player, a music player, an image viewer, a torrent client, and the web browser. I'm sort of a noob but the majority of my time using Linux over the last two or so years has been with Openbox in Crunchbang so using a WM solely isn't really new to me.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Did you try compton?

Yes, it did nothing even though there was no existing compositor even running. I would try some more but I already reformatted the drive in frustration. What I'm debating on now is installing Arch with just a WM or installing KDE on it and then removing it if it causes problems.

you could try things with a live usb before installing to save some time

Live sessions tend to be misleading in my experience, I used one of Antergos the other day and my video playback immediately out of the box was pretty much identical to my MPC-HC setup on W7, with no screen-tearing or stuttering, but when I actually installed it it was shit.

Then again, that might have been because I made the mistake of using xfce because the place it worked best was in whatever version of GNOME that live usb ships with.

Top lel

Aye, in my experience Gnome's compositor is pretty good with most hardware. It makes sense as they have the most devs and big backing from Red Hat etc. Xfce has one of the shittiest compositors (although it was improved in the very latest version, don't know if it's hit the distros yet). Actually, I think the Xfce compositor is even disabled by default. Compton is hit-or-miss and requires config file tweaking on many systems

Where the hell does socklog puts logs, and how can I see them?

Stop making threads this early bitch

Nevermind, found it. /var/log/socklog/. Gonna need a decent way to wander through them though

I made it at ~320 posts, bitch.

It just now hit 300 bitch quit lyin

It is.

How do people get those borders in i3? Recently compiled i3 gaps and the fact the text in my terminals just starts on the top right of a black window with little padding is kinda making my autism flare up.

In your config file
gaps inner x
gaps outer x
smart_gaps on/off

>she

what's smart gaps?

Makes gaps work only if there is more than one window. If you don't want it simply don't put it in.

nice

Where on gnu.org do I get the latest GPL in text (monospace) format?

Thanks user.

So what's the best linux distro to use these days?

GNU/Linux*

GOO/Loonix

Source Mage GNU/Linux

I'm liking void. Nix's good also.

Debian GNU/Linux

arch or die

Gentoo
t. Sup Forumsentooman

see

Thanks. I think i'll just try Hannah Montana GNU/Linux for now.

This is the correct answer

Me again. I installed Debian a second time, only this time with GNOME and KDE. Exact same shit. KDE was worse than GNOME, unresponsive as hell and just as much screen tearing as xfce. I'm assuming it's a driver problem, but I really don't want to spend hours searching for bug fixes and ways to even install drivers. I honestly think just following a guide on how to install Arch would give me a better system. I didn't think I was asking so much out of an OS. I'm not even a gaymur.

Before I wipe the drive again, can someone just tell me how to get sources.list out of read-only mode so I can try to install the radeon driver and see if that helps?

Slackware

What's really wrong with systemd?

Not this shit again. Look it up yourself.

>friendly thread

>he wasn't here a few days ago

not everyone browses Sup Forums 24/7

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

myth

face it, the only reason to use kde is the filepicker, and you pay it with a fat de

KDE users can uninstall bloat, but you can't install thumbnail preview.

The file isn't in read-only mode, like, ever. If you need to edit it, you need to invoke super-user privilieges. sudo or su first.

I don't know what GPU you're using, but if it's compatible with AMDGPU then installing the relevant packages and setting up your xorg.conf appropriately with something like
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMDGPU"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

should be enough to give you a tearfree experience.

desktop*

This has nothing to do with Sup Forums or /fglt/
The systemd debate is very widespread. Have you tried googling it?

At least 50% of the "What's the deal with systemd?" comments we get in here are from trolls, because they know once /fglt/ starts down the systemd path it pretty much consumes the rest of the thread.

It's been discussed ad nauseum here, and elsewhere. The only reason to still be asking /fglt/ what they think about it in general is if you are only interested in being spoonfed, or are trolling.

Linux ganbatte!

Non of these are "oses".

>Others such as Linux
Linux is a kernel, which is used in many different Operating Systems (such as GNU/Linux)
>Apple Macintosh
The Mac is a device wich can run different Operating Systems (such as macOS)
>Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Windows is Malware (Malware means software designed to function in ways that mistreat or harm the user)
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

I found out how to change the sources list, and installed the driver before rebooting. It's better, but I'm not sure if it's gone completely. I would need to have my W7 install running side by side with this one to see what the actual problem is. The tearing is gone, but it still looks choppy. I can't figure out how to use mpv, so my only testing option is VLC.
I'm not finding any xorg.conf in the .config directory but here are my specs, I've done nothing so far except follow this wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo#Installation and try to set up mpv.

(You)'d

>Source: Some arbitrary made up naming convention that we try to pretend is "the one and only way" to name an operating system
Keep fighting the good fight user

I want to hug him so much.

Probably you're looking for
/usr/share/X11/xorg.config.d/

The xorg.conf file is located /etc/X11/ folder. You need super-user privileges to edit it, and in a default configuration, you won't actually find a file by that name in the folder, because the system uses some sane defaults.

Invoke super user privileges to edit a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf and put the code mentioned here into it. What the system does it'll load any files located in the xorg.conf.d folder if they apply to your system and apply them. If you then restart the X server, you can do
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep AMDGPU in a terminal and see if amdgpu and TearFree activated properly.

Also, do glxinfo | grep 'OpenGL renderer' to see if you have working 3D acceleration. If it says llvmpipe something's wrong with your setup.

systemd is alright for daily use

Does anyone know any good open source programs that will let me store my passwords in the cloud so I can access them from my iphone? I want to start using open source OSes like Linux.

How can I run a script in hardware events like plugging in headphones or a zip disquette?

Come on man don't be like that, I just want to get into this open source jazz everyone keeps honking on about.

>""open source""
>password management software
>""""""the cloud""""""
>iphone
>open source OSes like Linux
>OSes like Linux
>Linux

I cant for the life of me make alsamixer stop unmuting the sound in system after rebooting.(Ubuntu 16.04LTS).

Ive tried:
sudo apt-get --purge remove pulseaudio

Manually disabling the "automute" option on alsamixer in terminal

Manually changing alsamixer headphone value(master is always at 80% and headphone always at 0, causing to mute) and typing as sudo
alsactl store 0

Ive tried changing the contents of rc.local file. I added

alsamixer set 'Headphone' 80

To the end of the file but even this does not work.

Help

Oh actually not this, my bad. I mean the actual borders people have around their windows. Like their setup will have a color scheme and each window has a color border around it. Those commands are just gaps between windows.
Unless I'm doing this wrong in my config.

I'd honestly beat the shit out you if you said that near me irl

Plaintext is the best format to store them in since any device will be able to read it, and there's no need to install insecure software that will likely just compromise your passwords

this
did you try alsactl store?

I know this is bait, but it actually triggered me
7/10

Um. In order to make i3-gaps work you need to remove window names. So you can customize window borders, but only focused or unfocused ones, like
# class border backgr. text indicator child_border
client.focused #4c7899 #285577 #ffffff #2e9ef4 #285577
client.focused_inactive #333333 #5f676a #ffffff #484e50 #5f676a
client.unfocused #333333 #222222 #888888 #292d2e #222222
client.urgent #2f343a #900000 #ffffff #900000 #900000
client.placeholder #000000 #0c0c0c #ffffff #000000 #0c0c0c
That's from the i3 guide. Probably openbox et similia might give you more options if you're interested in floating windows more than tiling.

s/open source/free/g
s/Linux/GNU\/Linux/g

Does amixer set Master toggle work for you guys? It mutes here on the testing machine, but doesn't unmute.

works for me

No I actually mean open source, I've been using Windows 10 for a couple years now which was free and I don't like it anymore.

Looks like you're using pulse so define the device: amixer -D pulse set Master toggle

please stop

I'm trying to but if nobody can recommend me good open source apps I guess I need to stick with windows or maybe buy a mac since those come with OSX for free.

ty

open source is botnet, get osx instead

install gentoo

Yes, I did.

I just let out a really smelly fart
what do you think about that?

redpill me on systemd

what's all the fuzz about?
keep reading things about the nsa, are people trolling or is it really a botnet?

I know you have to take care of title bars, I'm just talking borders around windows. Honestly I'd probably use just windowmaker or awesome but I'm trying to get maximum power from this machine. If I had a screenshot of some ricer I'd show you what I'm talking about but that seems like what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

it just works and is easy to use

I got to that directory but it's blank and says [ New File ] above all the shortcuts, when I copy-paste that text in and try to save it says there's an error writing it because there's no such file or directory, and it won't let me exit without destroying the changes.