/pcbg/ - PC Building General - RX500 Will Be a Stupid Refresh Edition

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC, BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List which GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for highly single threaded tasks. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. No exceptions. Drop down to G4560 or up to i7
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 7.
>R7 or Xeon for compute & multitask workstations

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>1060GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an 1060 3GB, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity

>Ryzen 7 is the only good part of Ryzen. Anything is a horrible attempt to compete with Pentium/i3/i5.

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0098Y77OG/ref=twister_B00OVTKU92?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=26
topachat.com/pages/configomatic.php?c=AdPvBudNRgZLRqqXlf6QWAG6Dc7HiAmj8E0Y/SSoKjI=
pcpartpicker.com/list/fYGPNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/PDgBJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/GX89pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/tzQPNN
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3470/3892vs2771
pcpartpicker.com/list/pg28vV
pcpartpicker.com/list/GL6DFd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who should i buy a 1070 from? EVGA or Gigabyte?
>including thermals, customer service, etc.

I bought a cheeky meme g4560 rig for my first ever build.

How should I into wifi on a b250 mATX mobo? Is USB wifi adequate?

Unless you have optic fiber high-speed and low latency internet, get a usb card, if you want performance, buy a dedicated pci wifi card

Hope you have a free pci slot

never had a problem with EVGA personally, although I've found that their bigass 3-fan coolers are a bit louder than Gigabyte's at full tilt

Gigabyte Xtreme has pretty awesome cooling so go for it.

USB wifi? What in the hell is that? I think you should either get a pcie dedicated wifi card or a motherboard that has onboard wifi
Noise is no bother to me. The only problem im concerned are thermals, if it even works in the first place, and that if i have to RMA it, i dont have to be worried about not getting a reply.

Which B250 mobo should I get, Asus Strix or Asrock Fatality?

Whats the best monitor for under or around 120$?
Will use it to play AAA games on a budget pc.

>wifi in the current year
Powerline.

For intel, never go Assrock. The strix is a breddy gud lineup.

never had a reason to RMA an EVGA card so I can't really help you there, but I can tell you that the cooling works pretty well
my 970 stays at about 50C with ~70% fan speed in TW3
definitely the loudest component in my rig, but I don't really care that much either, it's under my desk and my speakers easily drown it out

Think mITX will be a bust for ryzen? I'm thinking it might be smarter to go for mATX at the moment.

Though the only case that really stands out to me is the TJ08-E, which is pretty compact as far as mATX goes

>never go Assrock
Why?

amazon.com/dp/B0098Y77OG/ref=twister_B00OVTKU92?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

> I can't decide for a good mini-ATX MoBo to pair with my 1070 Strix

EVGA skimped on thermal pads for the VRMs on their 1070s and 1080s, causing some serious issues. Supposedly they fixed it with their new cooler and they tried to remedy it by offering to send free thermal pads to customers, but I'd still avoid them this generation. Fuck them for even making that mistake.

mITX is a meme unless you need ultra portability, and even then, how fucking portable is a PC anyway? MicroATX is where the value is at and that has been true for years.

There is no such thing as mini-ATX. There's Mini-ITX and Micro-ATX, so your question is confusing.

raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=26

This is a fairly nice looking case, anyone use one?

So apparently I've been putting thermal paste on wrong this whole time. What's the Sup Forums approved way of doing it? Big drop in the middle and push the cooler down on it?

I saw some videos where they cleaned the top of the processor off with some isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Is that more for when you're removing old paste and putting some new stuff on, or is that a good idea even for NIB processors?

>Advice goes from "Wait for R5s!" to "LOL ERRYTHING BUT R7 IS SHIT"
Well, that was a wasted couple of weeks. Should have just pulled the trigger on the intel build I'd been planning and called it good.

r8

Anyone know of any top mounted PSU full ATX cases?

Have you checked back in the 1990s mate? I'm sure you'll find plenty there.

>Memer 212 Evo
Don't do it. If you want a cheap aftermarket cooler for the locked i7 get a Cryorig M9i. Better than the Evo in literally every way and the same price.

Whoever said R5's are shit is a fucking retard. From a value standpoint, the 6c/12t Ryzen is going to be a fucking home run.

Opinions?
topachat.com/pages/configomatic.php?c=AdPvBudNRgZLRqqXlf6QWAG6Dc7HiAmj8E0Y/SSoKjI=

It's 1700 eurobongs after reduction.
Not sure which 1080 I should get and I still vacillate between the 7700k and a 1700 desu.
Pls send help.

>Cryorig M9i
No available for me. Why not H212 though? Anything wrong with it?

Has anyone done and overclock test with r7 1700 and different coolers? how big is the gap between air and water if any?

The OP post was clearly written by a paste sniffer
>Don't buy anything between a Pentium and an i7 xD
>Recommending the 1060 over the 480 in 2017

It honestly is. The idea of a 6-core, 12-thread CPU at $249 is absolutely amazing, but with the way AMD have been executing it, Ryzen 5, and Ryzen as a whole, will be shit. It has lower IPC even though same TDP and less cores, and has same RAM problem. You'd be better off buying a 1700.
Nice GET. Your build is a big meme. Instead of Hyper 212 Evo, get the Cryorig C7. It has better thermals. Instead of a corsair PSU, get a Seasonic one. Instead of BeQuiet fans, get Corsair fans and just use their low noise adapter. Instead of Samsung SSD, get a Sandisk 120 GB SSD and then get a large hard drive. Your assrock motherboard is ass. Consider one from gigabyte or asus. If you can afford a 3200MHz RAM kit, you will se noticeable differences.

an* why the fuck do I keep adding a d accidentally.

(You)

See the first part of my post

All these retards keeps changing their opinions every day. I stopped listening to them and I'm now living a much more fulfilling life

What's wrong with Asrock?

i don't know if I should spend 1,200 on this build. That seems like a lot of money

>Instead of Samsung SSD, get a Sandisk 120 GB SSD and then get a large hard drive.
Yeah man, that's some muy bueno advice. The one thing I always hear people who've just built a gaming rig saying is "I sure wish I'd got a smaller, slower SSD!"

Why is God's name would it have lower IPC? RAM issues are being fixed. Go home shilly shill.

>AssRock

not him, but I'm doing "ok" with only a 128gib ssd. you really don't need more than your OS, some programs, and maybe your favorite game or two.

This whole thread seems to have turned in to bad advice general and I suspect it's largely the shitter of an OP working his magic. People are right about that 212 Evo though. That's a meme that needs to die.

Nah. The 212 Evo is fine, it's just a bit older now than some of the other budget coolers that have come out in the past year or two that are just a touch better for about the same price, but if it's not available to you then it's a moot point. It's honestly not going to make a difference especially because you're running a locked CPU anyway. It'll be a huge upgrade over any kind of stock CPU cooler, that's basically what it's entire purpose is, so if you can get it for about $20 then just pull the trigger and be done with it.

Yeah I was just responding to it and I think you're overreacting. Worse IPC was basically a given for the past 3 years ever since we heard "Zen" was going to land us somewhere between Ivy and Haswell IPC, which honestly still would have been "alright" by AMD's standards. They actually exceeded that by quite a bit.

I agree about the RAM issue but I expect that to get ironed out pretty soon as mobo manufacturers get some more time to get a few BIOS revisions out. An $80 difference in MSRP between the 1700 and the 1600x isn't really that small when you consider the overall "budget" demographic of AMD CPUs but I see where you're coming from.

>everyone here is the same person
Plebbit might be more your speed.

He just means Ryzen in general has slower IPC than Kaby, which is true. RAM issues getting fixed will help but it'll never magically have faster IPC than Kaby.

It just works, bro.

Shilly shill? I just said its a great idea, but its being executed poorly. It has the exact same and lower IPC as all of Ryzen 7, unless they updated the specs in the last few weeks. It just doesnt compare to R7.

No, really. Why are you guys against this mobo? It looks pretty solid, has nice audio and network adapter. Why shouldn't I get it?

It was expected for the R5s and R3s to have the same IPC as the R7s, as they aren't clocked higher. You haven't explained why they would have *less* IPC than their 8 core siblings when they are very similar in nearly every respect.

The R5s are for people who don't need all of R7's cores but still want more than 4 cores without having to sell an arm and a leg.

Not that guy, but there really is no one motherboard brand that is head and shoulders above any of the others. Each board has to be evaluated on a case by case basis, and you need to check out individual reviews from both customers and any tech sites you can find info on them before making your decision.

If it has good reviews, a good warranty, the specs you want, you can return/RMA it fairly easily if needed, and you can get it at a good price, then go for it.

>posting with an avatar
Overclockers.net might be more your speed, user

>assrock

Monitors, Sup Forums

what's good in the hood lately

Korean if you're strapped for cash, just make sure you get one with HDMI or DP

144hz if you've got money to burn

Thinking around $350 or so, paired with a gtx970

Current monitor is old and having problems powering on.

What's a good website to review monitors?

idk, i just look at the specs

tftcentral does good reviews

Is the 7600K really that bad an idea purely for muh gayming? Because benchmark-wise it sure doesn't look like it from here. Certainly looks to outperform the equivalently priced 1600's simulated results.

I feel like I'm being pushed toward gimping myself now in order to future proof for a sudden push toward heavily threaded stuff that I just don't see happening in earnest between now and my next upgrade. Enlighten me.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fYGPNN

How did we do

pcpartpicker.com/list/PDgBJV

With this setup, would I need to add a graphics card to play "Cities: Skylines" at the recommended settings?

you forgot the pop tarts

Just ask yourself what will be the more likely scenario in the next 3-5 years, assuming that's your expected lifetime for this new PC you're going to put together.

Will it be more likely that the IPC of the CPU becomes too weak for it to run any modern games on, or will it be more likely that it starts to get choked by lack of cores and threads?

The answer is obvious because we've already see it play out in real world scenarios and we can just look back to the Haswell era to confirm it. Unlocked dual core G3258's could be pushed to about 4.5 GHz on air but, even at the time, were niche for modern games due to lack of threads. Sure, they'd be suitable for older games and a few modern ones that weren't too taxing, but they would be completely useless in others despite the higher IPC and overclocking results. The same kind of thing happened a bit later with i3's, even the higher clocked ones, basically being horrible buys for dedicated gaming builds as the hyperthreading on them could only help so much. Great IPC, sure, but not enough cores and threads to sustain thread hungry games. Even now, a heavily OC'd 7600K loses handily to a stock 7700 in most multithreaded situations, so unless you absolutely need that single threaded IPC, I'd invest elsewhere.

What did he mean by this

Cleaning with alcohol is for replacing the thermal paste, so you don't need to do it on a new one.

>injecting shit into your powerlines

>not doing it anyway
It's almost as if 99% isopropyl alcohol is cheap as fuck

There is no single way to apply thermal paste. The dot method would see to extreme failure given a server chip with 22 cores. It all depends on the shape of the die. The dot method works on consumer chips where the die only takes up a third of the chip at most, but enterprise chips with shitloads of cores can take up the entire IHS, which means you need a different method to ensure full coverage.

sorry. didn't mean to quote anyone. just wanted the quick reply window up

True, I just said you don't NEED to. Might as well for good measure.

You'd need to add a motherboard of course, and a graphics card for ideal settings

Skylines isn't that hard to run but it gets laggy if you have a lot of addons

Means you're a filthy newfag.

So what are some other methods you would recommend in general?

nah that's just a waste of time on a new processor

I guess if you're super autistic you can tho, it won't hurt anything if you do it right. Might as well just boot it up and check your temps tho first

>pcpartpicker.com/list/fYGPNN
Ok, and? I need suggestions. Not autism

Didn't notice it flagged the motherboard I selected as incompatible.
How's this now?
pcpartpicker.com/list/GX89pb

I would go with a full ATX motherboard, since your case supports a full size one

and I'd stay away from assrock. Try to find something by Asus or Gigabyte

I was trying to keep this build budgeted under $400 until I looked at the recommended settings using a core i5 CPU instead of the G4560 I had selected before. Kind of an oh shit moment and looking for the cheapest compatible i5 cpu. shit shit shit.
Would this be able to run the game without a graphics card until I could get one later on?
pcpartpicker.com/list/tzQPNN

It has zero effect on the function of your electrical wiring.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3470/3892vs2771

Here's the CPU that C:SL recommends vs the g4560. You're gonna need a GPU because on the system recs it says "(Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Cards) "

You'd save by getting the $60 CPU and spending what you would spend on an i5 on a used gpu. I'm sure it wont take a beast of a graphics card to run it since those games are mostly CPU driven anyway

Alright, so it would eun ith the original cheap CPU I chose, if slightly slower, but would need a GPU. That's a huge relief. I chose the cheapest GeForce 1050 card.
pcpartpicker.com/list/pg28vV

How does this look now?

The ROG Strix 470 is a good card, right?

For 1080p budget gaming, yeah sure.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/pg28vV

Looks fucking great, however I did a similar build recently and I managed to find a 470 for around $90. I'd be vigilant for better deals as the 1050 is kinda baseline. The TI version is better.

Also get one stick of 8GB ram rather than 2 4GB. It will save you a slot you could later use to upgrade to 16GB

Cool thanks, just realized there are five in my local Microcenter for $120 after rebate.

>tfw I spent 180+tax for my 470 at Best Goy™

Yeah that's a great deal. You'll have to turn down a setting or two on some new games to guarantee 60fps but that's a really good bang for the buck right now.

which is better, air cooling or all in one liquid cooling. For the one you pick, can you name me a good version of the product. Example: Hyper Evo 212, corsair h100i

is g-sync a meme

does it even matter if u have a 980

Just finished buildingn doing my boot and went to bios. The whole thing is in chinese though? What do I do after turning on, try to change to english? Put in the gpu driver disk? Install OS?

Mobo is a Gigabyte B250M-DS3H with an i3 -7100

>he doesn't know that best buy pricematches newegg now

Air cooling is just about as good as AIO water cooling and is much less prone to failure. Generally even quieter than water cooling AIOs.

Adaptive sync (freesync/g-sync) isn't necessarily a meme but it's really not worth paying a huge premium for. It's not like some kind of transformative viewing experience that you've never seen before. If you want to get an idea for what g-sync/freesync looks like just play a game with vsync on and see how it looks. You'll deal with some input lag but at least you'll see what it looks like. I've honestly never been the type to be bothered by screen tearing though so what do I know.

Hahaha what. Yeah, you'll have to figure out how to change it to English first so you can tell it to boot from whatever disk you're trying to install your OS from.

>Put in the gpu driver disk?
kek. No, you don't do that until your OS is installed.
>i3 -7100
What are you doing.

>he's trying to build his own PC even though he's not fluent in chinese

They make pre-builts for a reason, 鬼佬.

currently have a gtx 650 with 2gb of vram
about to get memed into ghost recon wildlands

should i upgrade my card?

Went with what logical increments said, still learning. I've got no idea about this chinese thing.

Alright, can anyone recommend some good air cooling options? I have the lg 1150 socket and i7-4790k. I plan on overclocking the cpu, so can i get a model that is preferably quiet and can overclock. however, if i had to take priority, i would say one that is quiet more than overclock potential.

Just asking if a b350m Mortar is good, and if pairing it with a 1600 is worth it:

Currently stuck with an A8-7600 with an RX460 and would like to upgrade into AM4

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Think I can go back and get my extra shekels back?

pcpartpicker.com/list/GL6DFd

Give it to me straight doc

How long ago did you buy it?

Hey /pcbg/ I need some help with choosing a CPU cooler. I got an R7 1700x, which was a very short-sighted choice when I thought of how I'm building a gaming PC on a budget. For starters, I live in Brazil, so PC parts are usually 170% of their original price in dollars.

What are some good budget coolers that won't let me down? The most I could spend on one would probably be $100 at most. I'm not picky about water cooling, and I probably won't do things that justify overclocking, if that's worth noting.

I'm also open for PSU suggestions. pcpartpicker is predicting my build to draw 40W short of 400W.

Gtx 1060 3gb mini for $155 or rx 480 4gb for $164, which is a better deal?

RX 480 100% it has the same performance as the 8gb.

The CRYORIG M9i is the go-to cooler now.

2 or 3 weeks ago, and thru further research I paid about what my particular card goes for on Amazon and Newegg.
>XFX RX 470 RS with aesthetic white LEDs

The strix 470 has an rgb logo and sells for $60 less