Opinion on bitcoin?

Hey Sup Forums, what's your opinion on bitcoin? Do you use it?

BTC is just internet currency
But mining died looong ago
So did mining anything else!

Take your shitcoins to .

STFU. MAGA.

inherently, your currency loses all value when a more encrypted, anonymous coin hits the market considering everyone who uses bitcoin is a paranoid drug user and/or schizophrenic afraid of jews. so listen here goyim, u own nothing now get your head out your ass and invest in USD.

Yes I have some Bitcoin, but I think Ethereum has more long term potential.

>loses all value when a more encrypted, anonymous coin hits thhe market
There are already multiple of those. The most popular of which is Monero. There is no way Monero is going to kill Bitcoin. The target demographic is too small compared to the total pool of cryptocurrency investors.
>everyone who uses bitcoin is a paranoid drug user and/or schizophrenic
That is not true. Nearly every investor with a diverse portfolio has at least a little bit in cryptocurrency, most likely including Bitcoin.

>I think Ethereum has more long term potential.
Why? Isn't it unsuitable for a currency?

Why do you think this?

It allows you to run code on it (i'm not an expert and don't know much more) and that means that it's impossible to guarantee that somebody won't stall it with a loop, plus the whole idea of allowing free code execution leaves it vulnerable to exploits. That's very bad for a currency, you wouldn't want the slightest risk of that happening when it's easily preventable by just not allowing free execution

It'd have already been stalled by now if that were the case. The way they get around this is you have to supply each script with a certain amount of "gas" which costs ETH. Each operation costs a certain amount of gas and once you run out, your script stops, even if you're in an infinite loop.

So it's not truly free execution.

How and where do I buy bitcoins?
I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Also how often does it change its value? I feel like the second I buy it the value will go down.

i only ever used it to buy drugs years ago

worked pretty well for that purpose at least

It has been stalled (or broken?) before. Don't remember the name of the case. I think this just shows that the chance of something always going wrong is there. It was broken before, and it may still be broken again, even though we think it's unbreakable, even though it SHOULD be unbreakable. The (even if theoretical) possibility of an exploit like that existing is a serious issue for a global currency. Currency isn't even eth's focus.

Bitfinex and btc-e personally, whichever is cheaper. And yes, the price is prolly gonna be unstable in a bad way in the near future

I'd love to be proven wrong, but btc just seems like the better alternative for a plain currency, even if it's suffering from technical problems now

Are you thinking of the whole DAO thing?

That was a case where an app built on top of Ethereum had a huge bug. The problem was that the app held millions of ETH and they were able to drain the money by exploiting the bug. The problem was that they rushed too quickly and didn't notice the bug until it was too late.

Ethereum, as a platform should still be good though. The currency-sending part is solid, at least.

Interesting

Speculation coin that exists to remind the world why the Gold Standard ended long ago.

I think Bitcoin is slowly circling the drain. With the huge community problems, they're gonna take themselves apart from the inside-out any moment now.

When it does, I'm not sure what its replacement will be. A lot of coins have that potential but I think Ethereum is in a good position.

thank mr buterin

Tesla is gonna go under, any minute now
Uber is so dead, everyone knows they're sexist
AirBnb has an insane valuation, they are gonna tank any minute now and bring SV with them
etc etc

The moral of the story is shut the fuck up, you don't know a thing.

Bitcoin is a scam

Basically this
The elites purposely screw with the market as well since they don't want it to succeed. Even the guy who made bitcoin didn't intend for bitcoin itself to be the revolution, just to prove something like it was possible. Maybe one day.

I try to use it for daily transactions but where I live it's hard to find places that accept it.

>have a stash of various cryptocurrencies
ama reddit :^^^)

coinbase shoahed my account because I run a site with boobs on it

Bitcoin is great and I have sold it for profit, bought goods with it and held on to it for its value.

companies that try to make money off it usually suck like cb.

Been in it for a few years now. Mycelium is a great wallet app and I use a keep key for cold storage.

You are thinking of the DAO hack. That only occurred because the initial investors decided to use a smart contract as a sort of bank for theif funds, but the smart contract itself had a bug in it that they didn't notice until someone had exploited it. This is not in any way a flaw with the platform itself and it cannot affect you unless you put yourself in a similar position. Simply owning ETH will not put you in that position.

>storing cryptocurrency on computing devices
>not storing it in a paper wallet