/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux
packages.gentoo.org/
archlinux.org/packages/
guitarix.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for systemd

first for Soure Mage GNU/Linux

Trying to get arch working and going through the setup everything was fine but once I reboot into my new system I can't find my wireless network when I scan for it and just trying to join it doesn't work either. When I boot back to the live usb it appears and I can connect to it just fine, what do?

>tux
>linux
>open source
>angry b/c preinstalled windows costs money

You have to reconfigure it after you leave live-cd. Did you ask this earlier or is it a different guy?

Same guy, I have reconfigured it, several other networks show up but not my one

If it works with the Live USB it generally works so you still must be doing something wrong.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong but I've followed every instruction to a T, can you think of any particular reason why a certain router wouldn't show up while others do? or any other kind of diagnostics I could run?

Should I just [spoiler]install gentoo?[/spoiler]

That certian router uses a different kind of network?

$ sudo pacman -S wpa_supplicant wireless_tools network-manager network-manager-applet wpa_actiond dialog

#do that on live cd is you cant get internet to download then swap back over

$cp /etc/netctl/examples/wireless-wpa /etc/netctl/anyname123

$ip-a
get your adaptor name is the enp3s0 equvelent for the wireless adaptor

nano /etc/netctl/anyname123
#fill in the relevent fields, like ssid, password, security(wpa most likley)
save and exit

$netctl start anyname123

Try that and tell me if it works.

networkmanager***

It did not, journalctl says WPA association/authentication failed for interface 'wlp6s0', I'd assume because it's unable to find the network. Any other suggestions or should I just give up?

I installed debian with windows a few months ago, now I want to switch to ubuntu, how should I go about uninstalling debian? I'm afraid I won't be able to boot into windows if I just delete the partition

So what? Unless you wanted to install Ubuntu from a running installation there's not much difference if the partition you want to install it to is empty or not.

Which order did you install debian and windows? If windows first then debian you will probably still have the Windows boot manager so deleting the debian partition will be fine.

To be safe make sure you get the windows product key wrote down before deleting the partition, speccy wil give it you.

idk how grub works, one time I couldn't get back on windows after installing/uninstalling suse
Yeah I installed windows first. So it's safe to just delete the partition? I don't need to do anything extra?

It should be fine yes, if you are completly paranoid make a windows usb with the iso file, that will allow you to recover your windows even if you delete the boot loader.

Grub is a boot loader, it is loaded by your bios and points to the operating system. Windows has it's own version of grub called Windows Boot Manager.

I'm a long time Debian user now trying Manjaro on my new laptop

The installation was not 100% foolproof just works, I had to manually install xorg-synaptics for touchpad customization and install kernel version 4.10.8 for optimus to work.

Grub wasn't correctly install on UEFI, but that's probably because I booted from manjaro live iso image in usb drive

Other than that it's all great, much easier than debian unstable/experimental, still not used to pacman and not much update-* tool like in debian, but I'll give it a try.

I convert my old debian installation to bootable external SSD in case something wrong and need to get back quickly though

>Manjaro
Friendly reminder that the Manjaro devs forgot to update their site's certs TWICE and that they have a terrible track record when it comes to releasing security patches to their packages.
If you want Arch but don't want to bother with the install process then just use one of the many arch installers available to you.

Thanks for the reminder! I already forgot about it!

don't let fool you by underaged archkids, manjaro is fine

What's a good KDE Arch installer ?
tried Kaos before manjaro, but the available packages are too few

Why not just install arch then install the packages, it's really not that difficult and you will learn alot more about the system.

How do I spawn an empty window in i3? I can't remember the keybind/command for it for the life of me.

Don't fall for this guy .

Because no one with a life wants to spend hours installing an OS, when any GUI installer only takes a few minutes.

What exactly is wrong with what I said?

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

A N T E R G O S

>xorg-synaptics
It's deprecated, switch to the X libinput driver.

you didn't ask if he had crippling autism before suggesting him Arch

>all my knowledge about things stems from memes
I doubt you'll ever be able to talk about things with actual, self researched and thought out comments so just go ahead and kill yourself, you myth spreader.
Your next comment will be "lol butthurt archfags", because you are so predictable. See again my advice from above, kill yourself. You and everyone else who only parrots memes while thinking he's hot shit for knowing some "Linux stuff".

Then don't use arch, it's not difficult. Manjaro doesn't make sense as a distro, just install ubuntu is you don't want to mess with the configuration.

On here people who use manjaro call arch users autists, while at the same time posing their pedo riced dekstops at every opportunity.

>you don't want to mess with the configuration.
You can configure the software the same on every distribution. It's the same software.

customizing after the fact is not the same as spending 2 hours or more installing.

fuck off

Yes but with Manjaro you can get a fully functioning arch disto, but don't know how any of it's working. The first time something breaks you don't know where to begin. The average Manjaro user probable doesn't even know what Xorg is.

It takes 20 minutes to install arch if you know what you are doing.

>It takes 20 minutes to install arch if you know what you are doing.

That's not a point in its favor.

I was telling him why it's wrong not a selling point. Into the filter you go.

GNU/Linux*

Don't reply to me. I don't want to catch whatever it is you have.

what is the best distro for gaming?

Windows 10.

kys

libinput is ok for browsing facebook. It's missing serious features though just like most freedesktop/Red Hat/Gnome software nowadays

It moves the cursor. It has a built in and way better "disable touchpad while typing" feature. Those two things are enough for normal people.

>serious features
>touchpad
Kill yourself you pretentious idiot. If you want to pull your elitist card at least think about it a bit before spouting your retardation around here.

Why aren't you guys using the most patrician window manager, Window Maker?

SteamOS

but i am using the most patrician window manager, TheOneIUse.

I am running ubuntu mate and I have a radeon r9 380x graphics card. Ubuntu mate tells me that graphics card drivers for my card are no longer available so it is using open source drivers. amd tells me they do have drivers for this version of ubuntu for my card. how do I uninstall the open source driver so I can install the amd drivers.

fuck me, I'm retarded

>installed zsh yesterday to check it out
>did chsh -s /usr/bin/zsh
>ended up not liking it, so I uninstalled it
>didn't chsh back to my old shell
>today I rebooted
>couldn't log in, because zsh was still my shell, but it wasn't there

at least I leaned how to chroot from a live usb

install gentoo

Didn't have root access?

no root user
made a second user that can use sudo, just in case I fuck anything up again

>no root user
is that even possible? or did it just have no password?

or, I should say, I don't know the root user's pasword

Why delete the partition first? Why not just have the Ubuntu installer reformat and install over that partition?

Ubuntu will install its own GRUB onto the hard drive so things should behave exactly the same as when you had Debian's GRUB.

I wan't to say but "I can't watch cat videos while installing" then I saw wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux
Installed Manjaro last night because I need something working by Monday, will try vanilla Arch in a spare external HDD when I have the time
Elantech1200 touchpad still needs synaptics for full functionality like edge scrolling
>default to GNOME
other distros that default to GNOME has given subpar KDE experience so far, including kwin crashes in Debian

what distro should I use? I want something that's:
>minimal installation. preferably not much bloat, no DE installed by default and no unnecessary packages (like Arch)
>no systemd, or at least an officially supported option for something else. IMO runit>openrc>systemd>sysv.
>a decent number of packages. I'd use void, but it apparently has very few packages.
>need a small amount of proprietary software like nvidia, steam and libspotify.
I wouldn't mind trying a compiling distro like gentoo. How many packages does gentoo have compared to Arch and the AUR?

You can do "sudo passwd" to gain access to root if you want. Are you on Ubuntu by chance? I know that it disables root by default.

ubantu

>I know that it disables root by default
yes
I'm fine now though, the second user will do if I fuck anything up again. And if that's not enough I know how to chroot now from a LiveUSB

Arch gets bloated pretty fast, it very rarely splits packages and if I recall its kernels are built with all modules.

Every distribution has a minimal installer.
You don't even know what systemd is, you idiot.
Every distribution has approximately the same amount of packages, that's not a reason to use a distribution. Maybe for retards like you.
You can install proprietary software on any distribution.

Just stick to Windows you pretentious idiot. You are not impressing anyone by dropping big words and phrases like "I don't want systemd" or "Void".
There isn't a distribution for every niche case. If you actually needed such a distribution, you'd know where to find it (hint: advanced people realize that there are only a handful of distributions worth using and they use one of those for warranted reasons).
Kill yourself.

Unironically Gentoo
>minimal installation. preferably not much bloat, no DE installed by default and no unnecessary packages (like Arch)
Check. Since you compile most of the programs you use, you can even debloat things on a per-package basis
>no systemd, or at least an officially supported option for something else. IMO runit>openrc>systemd>sysv.
Check
>a decent number of packages. I'd use void, but it apparently has very few packages.
packages.gentoo.org/ vs archlinux.org/packages/ seems like pretty similar numbers
>need a small amount of proprietary software like nvidia, steam and libspotify.
Check.

i installed kde and it sucks. What gui is like windows?

XFCE & Cinnamon

Are you the same faggot that tells people to kill themselves when they say anything even slightly critical of systemd, or asks what distro to use? You always word it in a similar way. Kill yourself.

Windows babby here, what's the best linux for a newbie

fuck it I'm trying Gentoo
Any tips for a new user? How long is compiling going to take on a i7-7700HQ (quad core) compared to a i7-7500u (hyperthreaded 4 thread dual core with same clock)? Not sure which to get in a new laptop for gentoo.

I'm not him, but what distro should I use? I'm pretty experienced with Linux.

GNU/Linux*

Debian, Mint or Ubuntu. Mint is a crude hack, and has security problems. Ubuntu is run by a business (canonical) and is easy to start with, slightly easier than Debian, but canonical has done shady stuff in the past. Debian is great. The other two are based on it. It's incredibly stable with slightly out of date software, so it won't work on very new hardware. It's easy to install software and use for noobs without any canonical bullshit. Just read the wiki for whatever you want to do.

Most likely, but my point isn't really related to systemd. It's about people adopting superficial opinions they deem bold and edgy just to appear knowledgeable and smart. It happens a lot in Linux related topics.

>canonical bullshit
?
I don't see how Ubuntu being run by a company impacts a new user in any way. When they had ads in Ubuntu it was a bit shady but you could still turn that off.

As far as a new user is concerned, Ubuntu is better than Debian because 90% of all forum posts you find about problem X the user will be on Ubuntu so it makes sense to give the new user the distro that everyone else is using.

i installed cinnamon but i have no terminal
whats the default terminal for cinnamon?

GNOME terminal

Just that using genkernel instead of configuring your own kernel can significantly reduce the amount of time it takes you to install gentoo.
Of course, I'd still say definitely configure your own if you have the time for it. But starting with genkernel is fine because it can significantly lower the entry barrier (especially if you're autistic and can't handle configuring the kernel without going through every single fucking option 1-by-1 like I did) and you can always go back and configure your own later if you want.

As for the compile times, it's not that bad. For most of the little packages you'd barely even notice a difference between installing the binary and compiling. There's really only like a handful of packages (like firefox, libreoffice, gcc, or wine) that'll take up to maybe 30min to an hour.

To minimize compile times make sure you set the right parallel jobs value in makeopts. Just get the value with
>cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor
and take the number of processors reported + 1. So for an i7 you'll probably see 8 cores reported meaning you'll probably want to set the value
>MAKEOPTS="-j9"
in your /etc/portage/make.conf

>Manjaro doesn't make sense as a distro
>ubuntu does
They are the same concept applied to two different distributions. Kill yourself meme spouting faggot.

>you pretentious idiot.
Oh hey look it's that guy who always calls people 'pretentious' while he chokes on a million dicks. Eat shit homedawg.

You're projecting again pretentious-chan

>(hint: advanced people realize that there are only a handful of distributions worth using and they use one of those for warranted reasons)
see

With gentoo, the wiki says my makeopts should have j2 for single core, j3 for dual core etc. If it's dual core but 4 threads do I put 5 or 3?

I'm installing a new *nix system on an old computer, which I'm not planning in using a lot but need for certain simple operations.
I don't want Arch or Gentoo, which I normally use, in it, because I'm not going to be able to monitor this system constantly and don't want it going to shit.
So I need some gay, friendly, at least somewhat stable distro. But with enough flexibility that I can change some stuff if they turn out unbearable to me.

Because of all the memesters I tried installing Debian stable but it gave me a stupid problem that Debian wouldn't even let me figure out what it was, so I gave up on it. Because it's gay.

So I talked with some people on a previous thread and they convinced me to give a try to OpenSUSE, which I'm reading about, and preparing to install now.

If someone wants me to convince me otherwise and recommend something else for this particular case, please speak up.
Anything but Ubuntu.

Just run
>cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor
and take the number of lines + 1.
If you see 4 lines (processor 0 through 3) then you'd use -j5. If you see 1 line then you'd use -j2, etc..

maybe manjaro? I've never used it though. But that's probably what I'd go with if I wanted an easy upkeep machine without too much bloat. It's a newer distro though so who knows how it runs on older machines.

I didn't think of an Arch based distro to begin with, because I know Arch pretty well and thought this could be an interesting opportunity to learn something new. But that's just a detail.

Are there any obvious advantages for Manjaro over SUSE, besides possibly less bloat?

Every distribution has to be "monitored constantly" the same amount of time. You use the same software on every distribution.

I have no experience with either, only some minor research on manjaro, and I don't really know anything about opensuse.

Also the thread is just going really slow, so I thought I'd just throw a suggestion out there for the distro I have in mind if I ever wanted to quickly set up a machine without a lot of hassle.

what is a distro that looks great out of the box? preferably kde or xfce but gnome is tolerable

The software is pretty much the same between distro, the differences are package managers, release type and so on. Out of the box, *buntu, or arch/its derivates.

>The software is pretty much the same between distro

Anyone here with experience with both Arch and Gentoo. After the initial setup and configuration which one is the biggest timesink?

Stop trolling, nigger. Arch doesn't look like anything out of the box, it doesn't even have X11 if you don't install it.

Distros don't look this or that way, DE's are responsible for that (in the sense you seem to want). Most friendly distros will alow you to choose which DE to use as you install it, or when you download the .iso. Just look for some that have options in that sense, and it will look like the DE you chose.

Anyone here play guitar? Any good effects processor on GNU+Linux?

I don't play it, but use guitar effects on electronic production. There's loads of stuff out there, and ultimately it's just about personal preference.

A very good and flexible one to start with is:
guitarix.org/