/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

Ask you small and stupid questions in this thread. Redirect any retard requesting help, asking for buying advices or whatever to this thread.
Be sure to check other general threads for specific help
Friendly reminder to google your question before posting

Other urls found in this thread:

mxtoolbox.com/domain/cloudflare.com/
theguardian.com/uk-news
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If i smoke a lot of weed is it common for chest congestion

>copied from previous
I have an atx tower with 8 hard drive slots and various components. I want to use it as Nas. Should I go with Nas hdds (like wd red) or is anything fine? Does it matter of the mobo has 8 sata slots or should I get a cheaper board and just use PCI expanders? I'm thinking of using Freenas with zfs, will this cause any issues on Windows 7 as a network drive? Is it worth it getting a mobo with dual gigabit? Can you truncate it with Freenas and will it even make a difference if the router doesn't support truncation?

I have a 16gb ram piece and another that is 8gb and want to use them to dual channel, they have the same exact specs (same speed, manufacturer etc.)

will this create any problems whatsoever? I mean they are identical aside from one having double the kapacity of the other

Is there a good extension in firefox to force videos to load on youtube ?

i doubt trunking will give you anything unless you are serving a lot of clients.

My PC died and I'm building a new one. However I've been out of sync with hardware developmets for 6+ years now, so I'm likely to purchase mismatched components or overspend on stupid shit.

Browsing logicalincrements I've put together that list:
>GPU
GTX1060-6GB - 275€
>CPU
i5 7600K - 270€
>Cooler
NH-U14S - 70€
>Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI - 160€
>RAM
Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 16GB - 110€
>HDD
Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB, ST2000DM006 - 80€
>SSD
Crucial MX300 525GB - 145€
>Power Supply
EVGA 650W SuperNOVA 650 GS Modular - 110€

What I do plan playing on it:
Modded Crusader Kings 2 (modder went overboard with details, needs a good CPU and SSD to not run at a snails pace)
Witcher 3 (doesn't need to be on very high/ultra, although if it's possible to achieve that without too much extra cost, that would be nice)
Rainbow Six Siege
Total War: Warhammer
Various other games games that run on toasters.

I also need a bunch of other stuff (another monitor for dual screen and other peripherals), but those can come later.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I can probably tone down on the power supply, as I've piced it when I had more powerful components, which I then replaced with cheaper ones.

Is it just me or does Firefox on Android not like subdomains with their own certificates (even if it's from a CA)?

How will Cloudflare ever recover?
mxtoolbox.com/domain/cloudflare.com/

How can I get a list of available gateways on a network I am connected to on windows?

>people say that arch best distro because rolling release
>os may broke sometimes because of the updates

Please explain.

It's not an atual question, I just don't want to make a post about it.

Can we connect mechanical keyboard switches to pcbs such as brook fightboard pcb or any cheap controller pcbs? Without any external tool? I can solder, but buying something more is a little you know.
And also is there a good website that sells mechanical keyboard keycaps but not in sets, just single keycaps or in pack of 10 like switches?

it's a meme

Retard here.
Why do some computers have the option to hibernate and others don't? How can I enable this option on computers that don't have it?

Go to control pannel and select power options and enable hibernate from there

Well shit, there is an own general for this.
Sorry guys.

it's /sqt/, as long as you don't make your own thread it's okay I guess.

>1060
the RX 480 is better for DX12 and vulkan.
If you can wait, AMD is going to release a new GPU that should perform a bit better while costing the same or cheaper. It should come this month.

>i5 7600k
AMD ryzen 5 is coming tomorrow iirc, maybe it will perform like shit, maybe it will be good, it can be a good thing to wait a see what's happening, but the 7600k is okay (non k if you don't care of OC)

>cooler
nothing wrong with it, but if you want to save money you can find good one for 30- 35€ (212 evo, be quieck rock...)

a 550W PSU should be enough, but nothing wrong going with a 650W

it doesn't break because of updates.
I've been using it for a year now and I never had a problem.

I've had my computer for some time now but am not informed on hardware.
Will this be good for some time, is anything bad, do i need to upgrade anything?

What happened to Router general

I want to move Windows to an SSD since my current HDD is running out of space. I have a second, empty HDD as well.

How should I go about doing this? Most guides try to jew you by selling a program that does it for you.

im on windows 8.1 and planning to buy i5-7400, will it work ? i dont wanna upgrade to windows 10

Are there any good videos or books that have good examples of solutions in Python? Or even just heuristics?

What's a decent mono typeface? I have trouble discerning Ms, Ns, and Is in Consolas.

Should I be using Homebrew to install everything on my mac? I'm not sure when to use Homebrew and when to use the website to download packages...

Just backup and reinstall on the ssd. Afaik, there's no way to do this on windows

My sister and her son bricked their PC again. Allegedly it died during playing a game. Old piece of shit turns on with no video and keeps beeping irregularly in both number of beeps and pauses between them. Hardware seems to be seated/plugged in properly, I tried to unplug every peripheral device before turning it on, but to no avail. Any advice?

if removing ram and gpu did not work try the cmos battery

I got an external male molex port.
How do I connect an internal sata HDD to it? Does it provide enough power for a 3.5 desktop hdd ? Also all sata2molex cables on chink websites are 20cm thats too short I need around 35cm.

count the beeps and look up what the code means, probrably overheated and fried gpu

Could somebody please explain what kind of relationship would exist in UML between say, a certain brand/kind of drink and a catalogue of drink brands/kinds? I'm not sure if it's association since IIRC the catalogue would have to store an actual bottle of the drink itself and not just a reference to the drink.

Will a higher watt PSU draw more power from the wall than one that is lower and does it draw its full wattage from the socket all the time?

Now that Transmission for Windows has ben abandoned, what torrent client would you recommend?
Halite, deluge? I really enjoyed the simplicity of Trransmission

So uh, do I need to get any other antivirus or is Windows Defender on Win10 good enough?

It will draw as much power as it needs, so it is the same as a lower wattage PSU.

Format and reinstall. There's a good guide on ocn

How can I set up Thunderbird to show Microsoft email folders in my language?
I cant rename it

Gmail just works™

>If you can wait, AMD is going to release a new GPU that should perform a bit better while costing the same or cheaper. It should come this month.
Being without a proper PC is a pain in the ass, but I guess I could if it's not too long.
That said I hoped to run an Nvidia GPU this time, as I've run into a bunch of problems with my AMD GPU occasionally (glitches and underperformance since devs usually focus on Nvidia first and AMD second) and I just wanted to have smooth sailing straight out the box.
>AMD ryzen 5 is coming tomorrow iirc, maybe it will perform like shit, maybe it will be good, it can be a good thing to wait a see what's happening, but the 7600k is okay
Thanks. I mean I wanted to order a new one as fast as possible ut I guess I could wait for a day.

/pcbg/ is currently ignoring my post. No idea if I did anything wrong (so they're overlooking it on purpose).

What is better, 2x8GB RAM, or 4x4GB? And why?

QBittorrent

>That said I hoped to run an Nvidia GPU this time, as I've run into a bunch of problems with my AMD GPU occasionally (glitches and underperformance since devs usually focus on Nvidia first and AMD second) and I just wanted to have smooth sailing straight out the box.
Do as you want. If you had issues with AMD and want to switch to another brand it's your choice, I just told you the current state of the GPUs.

>I guess I could wait for a day.
be careful cause even if they release it tomorrow, according your country and the store they might not have them available day one and might take some day to ship it.

>/pcbg/ is currently ignoring my post
general are cancers. Only /sqt/, /dpt/ and /fglt/ can be nice

Is there any way to change what f1 does on windows? I hate how it opens my web browser every time I accidentally hit the stupid key

technically if you take a 700W PSU when you only need a 500W won't be a problem, but it might be not efficient and heat more.

>Do as you want. If you had issues with AMD and want to switch to another brand it's your choice, I just told you the current state of the GPUs.
Well it wasn't TOO bad, just minor inconveniences. It's just that I need one right now since it has broken down, so waiting isn't much of an option.

I always hear about how much SSD are great and how much I should do the switch. I don't really feel I need it and when people tell me it improve a lot the responsiveness of their computer, they are running windows.

For a linux user, how much useful a SSD would be ?
Currently it boot in 20s, xfce loads in 3 seconds and it might take another 5-10 seconds to be browsing Sup Forums and having im program launched.

Once my programs have started, I don't see what and SSD can improve. I don't copy/paste a lot of files, I don't do anything that heavily write on disk. I just browse internet, listen to music and play some games.

Since I'm gonna buy a new computer soon, should I consider a SSD ?

I got a 6 year old hp pavillion dv6 with a second gen i7, radeon 6770 and 8 gb of ram
its slow as shit though literally takes more than 5 mins to start and gets stuck for no reason on simple tasks
should I just replace the hdd with a ssd would that fix it or is there no fixing it and buy some other Sup Forums approved laptop like a thinkpad
I already got a desktop thinking to make the laptop my first linux and experiment random shit

Please resbond

Is there a program that will let me download all of the webms in a Sup Forums thread at once?

I have a program that lets me download all of the image files in a gallery/forum/webpage/etc., including Sup Forums, but it doesn't work for webms.

Any permissively licensed sound and music playing library? I read OpenAL no longer is BSD/GPL.

Hi /sqt/, my friend's computer isn't turning on at all and I'm going to his place tonight to find what is failing.
Nothing happens when he uses the power button. There's some light on his GPU (pic related) but that's all.

What's the best way to troubleshoot the problem ?

Linux

Where do i torrent movies and tv-shows now?

Depends on your needs. It should be good for most games until the end of the current console gen but there might be a few releases that'll make it cry for death. Get an SSD.

where u always should
qbittorrent search bar

2*8, so you can add more later.

Thanks, got any recommendations?

I need a Cisco IOS Gateway to replace my CheckPoint 1000N + study for CCENT/CCNA

Suggestions?
Thanks

Check logicalincrements. Intel, Samsung and Sandisk are good brands

Thanks.

Take the source code of this program and modify it so it include .webm in the files downloaded.

Best music widget?

What's the best android app for 8ch.
I can't use dashchan cause I always get 403:Forbidden no matter what network I'm on. And updating it hasn't fixed it.

Lol, besides that though, is one inherently faster than the other?

There are plenty, I use chanthreadwatch personally.

My packardbell laptop's touchpad goes to shit if I keep only hibernating it and tapping on the pad will result to a constant press. Wtf is wrong?

i had issues with an usb drive after formatting, the partition was unusable and only the MBR was accesible, however it still seemed to work fine under linux (although the partition and the mbr appeared as seperate devices)
i somehow managed to fix it with a combination of gparted and testdisk
the problem is it only works under windows, linux ignores it's existence and i can only format it to exfat or ntfs
before i fuck it up any further: any idea how to fix it?

how can I make my windows desktop double as a home server? Any good resources/guides on this?

so what are the chances of a graphics card going bad straight out of the box?

Same as any electronic product,
if no visible damage + just bought it, return it fast

appwiz.cpl
add windows features -> Hyper-V
enjoy

How would I go about fixing a kernel panic'ed imac g5 by Target dick mode?

Once in a while, my computer seems to freeze and the monitor display turns into either a solid red or blue screen, sometimes with darker horizontal lines on it and I have to do a hard restart. What might be causing this?

eventvwr.msc
might be GPU driver crashing or ur GPU just failing

could also be as simple as a bad cable between the gpu and the screen, replace it first, unless the PC freezes when the screen does, in which case it cannot be the cable.

I'm having trouble trying to locate my touchpad anywhere on my computer.

I've downgraded my Asus laptop to 7 from my previous dual-boot setup of 8.1/Mint (originally it's a newer-made laptop built around 10 with a lack of drivers for any previous OS). The same problem happened when I used 8.1 (I installed a whole bunch of touchpad drivers, nothing showed up anywhere or it refused to install, nothing on Device Manager), but out of the blue one day it just worked.

(I assume it was after I tried out Optimized Defaults when messing around the BIOS one day.)

In addition, the touchpad worked perfectly whenever I used Linux, but would stop working if I went onto Linux, restarted, and booted into 8.1. However, it would somehow restore itself if I let the laptop go into sleep mode/hibernate on 8.1 and woke it up.

So. Now that I'm on 7, like before, I've been downloading various touchpad drivers with no degree of success (or it says it got installed, but I find nothing in programs/device manager that says it actually did so), trying to load Optimized Defaults on the BIOS does nothing, and I still can't find any mention of a touchpad anywhere on here.

Thoughts? (Using a USB mouse for now.)

I see, thanks. I am guessing the PC freezes, too, because if I have music playing from my headphones, it also stops.

Yesterday Google said there was unusual traffic from my computer network (it lasted maybe a couple of minutes). Am I already part of the botnet?

Actual speed vs cache

I want to do a SFF build, and the case I'm looking at can only accomodate 2 x 2.5" drives. Assuming I use an M.2 drive for the OS, would using a 5TB hard drive and SSD with Intel Rapid Response be fast enough for overall productivity and gaming?

I'm trying to make a persistent SD drive with Linux Mint, and everything works fine up to a point. I can install mint onto the drive, boot into it, and then complete the actual Mint install, including setting a memory partition for it, but once I reboot I get a kernel panic every single time. I can't seem to figure this out, any ideas?

So are the EVGA 1070s and 1080s safe to buy nowadays?

I would just avoid them in general--eVGA cards have consistently had problems to the extent where you would just wholly avoid them.

Just stick with Gigabyte or MSI. I still have a sour taste in my mouth with ASUS, and Zotac have come out with their odd cards that are decently rated.

These are brands that Micro Center carry--there are shitton more brands if you use the interwebs.

I'm currently using Manjaro on a 1024x600 display, which is indeed a shitty resolution, sometimes I can't see the whole window, I was wondering if it's possible to "force" the 1024x720? I was able to do it in Windows 7 fucking around with the registry but I don't know how to do it here

Thanks in advance guys

Suppose I have a laptop with mid/low-tier specs, but i want to run heavy-ish programs and games. Is it somehow possible to offload the computations to my more powerful desktop PC (say, via wi-fi), but still interact with the program in real time from my laptop?

Interesting. I actually never owned an nvidia card so that's new territory for me.

I just thought of Evga because they have a 50€ cashback right now. But yeah the whole thing is a bit spooky. I don't know what part of it is real and what part of it is FUD since the whole story seems to originate from wccftech....

But my MSI mainboard has been doing great for 6 years or so now, so maybe I'll buy one of their graphics cards. Gigabyte might also be an option but the Aorus looks kinda retarded and the Windforce seems to be outdated...

requesting for programming project recommendations to improve my programming skills. (No UI please I hate that stuff with a passion)

You could setup a VPS with whatever spec you want and RDP/SSH into it from your laptop

Thanks, at least now I know what to google.

>"deactivated" facebook account a couple years ago
>find out recently it's still there showing the same old info to anyone who's logged into facebook
>there are friends on the friends list that I know I haven't added myself (not strangers though)
>also find out there is an instagram account in my name, following some random brazilian kid
>want to log in to see if account was actually lowkey hijacked by some bot to follow random brazilian kid or if I just accidentally clicked on something that made it happen
>locked out (indefinitely) for security reasons and the recovery methods can't be used for me (obsolete phone number etc)

i am livid
- if account was hijacked: how does it reactivate itself on its own, add people without the owner doing anything and also make an instagram account using the generic facebook info
- if not hijacked: how can the actual owner of the account be locked out HARD and yet some random bot/hacker can log in?

i meant if not hijacked on first point and hijacked on 2nd point

>I put all my info on some jew data mining website
>Now I lost access to all my shit, but my info is still there

What exactly were you expecting?

I would like to learn about local descriptor tables and global descriptor tables as well as x86. IDT. Wikipedia was not clear please help.

Any way to get past oracle's login bullshit so I can download an older version of Java?

I want to try a different ROM, so I'm making a backup first.

What are nowadays the best ways of backing up app data (e.g. my score in a game)? I know Titanium was considered best for this, but I don't see much mention of it any more.

Is there any way to hide the status bar in android apps universally?

I'm sending a URL over to a website through the url like website.co.uk/index.php/url/theguardian.com/uk-news

How can I assign that to a variable in javascript?

Bumping my question.
How to diagnose a computer when it's not even starting up ?

Open it up and see if there's any loose connectors.

Read out and scan harddisk on 2nd PC. Also measure if power supply is still working. (in my experience a broken PSU is most common)

What's a good browser based video library tagger/manager?

Already what I was planning to do. Thank you anyway, good thing I have a spare PSU I guess..

Right now i can only afford a GTX 1050. Is it ok for 1080p gaming or should i save money for a better GPU?