Retro Apple discussion

Let's talk about everything Apple before the year 2000. OSXfags go home.
>First OS? Favorite OS?
>Any fond memories?
>Hardware discussion
>General nostalgia

Pic related. Dad had one. Spent endless hours with Mac OS 8 and ClarisWorks. Emulators of choice: iNES and SNES9X 1.39b

Used to have a Macintosh Plus long before it, then an LC and finally a G3. Bought a PowerBook G3 sometime in the 90s.

I remember when this site ran applefags off. Now you want to praise this trash?

Apple Inc. is trash, but things were quite different back when it was Apple Computer Inc.

They were worse.

I grew up on a Quadra 610, MacOS 7.5.2 and later upgraded to 7.6. I had that machine for years. Later on my dad passed down his Powermac 8500/150, MacOS 8.6That machine had A/V inputs so I could connect my SNES to it and play games in my own room instead of the living room. I did also run snes9x or some other SNES emulator on that thing though.

After that a bondi blue iMac G3 (MacOS 9.2.2 / OSX 10.3), which was replaced with a b/w G3 tower. I later upgraded from that to an early G4 because they were practically throwing them out at work, I mostly ran OSX/Linux on that though.

A few years after that I finally said fuck it and bought an x86 laptop because macs didn't feel the same anymore after the move away from PPC.

I never stopped having Macs though. I managed to save a Mac 512k from the trash at some point, and a friend gave me his old DP G5, which I still have.

Couple years ago I wanted to play with classic MacOS again so I picked up a Performa 6320 (MacOS 7.6) for about 20 euro, which is also the only money I ever spent on a mac. Two years later someone sent me an LCIII (no OS atm) and a very beat up beige G3 tower (MacOS 9.2.2).

tl;dr I've owned a couple classic macs over the years.

>before the year 2000
>OSXfags go home.
So no AU/X and NeXTSTEP talk?

What's up with all those old Apple shit thread? You guys aren't interested in retro, you just like it because it's "in" and "cool" flavor of the month.

are you twelve

No, are you? Apple were clearly worse back then.
You sound like a barely adult hipster that wants to enjoy things before his time like Vinyls, VHS tapes retro gaming consoles and CRT televisions.

itt: retard getting baited by "le iToddlers xD" neckbeard

There's nothing "in" about old shit from the '90s you can't even post to Facebook from. This place has always had PPCtards, it's the cheapest and most plentiful non-Wintel shit you can get your hands on.

To be fair, Apple's OSes pre-X were pretty horrible reliability wise.

>it's the cheapest and most plentiful non-Wintel shit you can get your hands on.

>what are smartphones

OS8 to OS9 were much more stable than OSX up until 10.3.9 though.

Pretty sure hipsters approve of such shit, it's pretty much "in" as a display piece, the opinion of actual retro enthusiasts does not making something "in" because they are considered weird

I remember not too long after getting my first PC, I really wanted to get an iBook. Something about the interface just looked ridiculously good for me, and I wanted my PC to at least have the OS.

Then I lost interest, Apple went Intel, I met a few people online who were massive macfags but I really wanted my fucking videogames.

And now I'm using fucking hackintosh, and have been for almost a whole year. Who'd have thunk.

I can't remember having as much trouble with any of the early releases of OSX, but rather the low quality software that was written for it.
That transition phase where people were porting old crap to OSX was pretty rough.
Microsoft Office X strikes me as a piece of software that I had particular trouble with.

That being said, late panther was fucking bulletproof.

I'm not. You clearly are. Or some blatent mac fanboy.

>A few years after that I finally said fuck it and bought an x86 laptop because macs didn't feel the same anymore after the move away from PPC.
this. i had a 2009 mbp after years of using a powermac g4 and a powerbook g4, but it never was the same again.

>being so blatantly disingenuous in $(date +"%Y")
You'd be hard pressed to find an actually usable one for under $10 anyways with an application ecosystem built on shitty web front-ends and toy interfaces.

Hipsters are normalfags, they generally don't give a shit about electronics besides audio equipment and retrogaming and they follow trends, not just things that are different. Even if there are those that are into these kinds of things, also being interested in them doesn't necessarily make you one of them.

In other words; stop projecting.

>also being interested in them doesn't necessarily make you one of them.
Not him but I'm really tired of seeing this failed logic.
When the majority of people in the hobby are there because it's "In" at the moment then it's a safe bet to assume you're a hipster and not an actual enthusiast.

ESPECIALLY, when talking about shit like Apple.

>In other words; stop projecting.
Wut, I'm not a hipster or retrofag, you're new to Sup Forums, aren't you?
There are hipster threads all the time with only 3-4 people actually knowing their shit, others just do it because it's the cool thing.

>There's nothing "in" about old shit from the '90s you can't even post to Facebook from.
except all those threads with Macintoshes, Apple II's and Amigas what pop up all the time
also this, most people do it for the internet points

I'm sick and tired of autists in my country peddling old Apple hardware to other autists like it's worth it's weight in salt.

I just want a CRT iMac like OP's pic for comfy retro computing. Or a broken one for an aquarium or cat bed.

I'm really tired of faggots who do nothing but repeat the same weak-ass shit point over and over again hoping the other side will get tired of constantly rebuking it and just accept it.

>but didn't you know Sup Forums is full of retards?
Who's new again?

There's like one out of 150 threads every other day, on a board specifically dedicated to technology discussion. If that's what "in" is to you then you should really get your head checked

You literally can't even give them away where I'm at because nobody wants to deal with CRT disposal anymore.

craigslist, ebay?

CL's the only good place anymore it seems, yeah. That shit's way too heavy for eBay though.

>I'm not a hipster, honest!

>I remember when this site ran applefags off.

No you don't. You've been here for no more than 2 years.

>I'm not just a projecting faggot incapable of comprehending the idea of doing something for reasons other than validation, honest!
lmao

No
>Everyone else does X for validation but me!

Non-sequitirs already, huh? Last word's all yours, I was expecting something entertaining.

I have no clue what the fuck you are talking about

>this shit is trash
>most people who talk about this shit just do it because it makes them different or cool
>nobody gives a fuck about your luddite old hardware

that's my statement and I have no fucking idea how it's projecting if it's not even a hobby I'm interested in, you are the one who seems like a hipster trying to redeem yourself for liking this old shit, I have respect for people who actually know their things but you are the opposite

>Non-sequitirs
You're saying Apple fanboys aren't mostly hipsters that only care about Apple because of Ipods/Iphones?

You don't get around much, do you? Old Apple shit is the de facto standard for hipster points.

Not him but, Apple isn't some niche shit anymore. I understand that being 650 lbs means you haven't left your home since 2007 but, Apple products are the norm if you live in a normal, developed western country. You literally don't know what's happening in the world and you're stuck in some decade old mind bubble. Hipsters now use Linux and Chrome OS. iPhones are the most popular smartphone in the western world. You're by definition a hipster if you use anything else.

>projecting this hard
nah, hipster is appletards

not all appletards are hipsters
but all hipsters are appletards

>I understand that being 650 lbs
>I'm not really a hipster you're just old!
Jesus Christ, kid.

But they are, we have our own little circlejerk from time to time and always some faggots try to come and "fit in" because it seems cool.
But we actually have no life and do it as a hobby, while they are just posers. geeee.

You need to look up the definition of 'projecting', sounds like you just came across this word for the first time last week.

>people who use the most popular and ubiquitous phone brand are hipsters
>not me with my obscure ZUK-Mi-Pro 6 running a custom Pajeet ROM

You're a hipster.

My family's been enabling their habits in the antique business for 40 years, they don't give a shit about '90s normie trash, they're into actual hip shit like mid century decor. If we're just talking tech hipsters, that's the domain of shit like ThinkPads and riced GNU/Linux, not the closest thing there is to the face of normalfaggotry in computing.

>NO U!!@!@@!!
Getting sad, kid.

He's right though, the lengths at which you're going to bitch and moan about "hipsters" really makes it sound like you yourself are projecting your insecurities on others, presumably because you only come here for (You)s and validation. Why else would you shit up an otherwise irrelevant thread that would have probably been archived within an hour with your childish whining? You just want attention from us, you live to be shit on for being the emotionally starved retard you are.

>You need to look up the definition of 'projecting', sounds like you just came across this word for the first time last week.
Fatass detected

What is with you and projecting? Is that hip new buzzword for you?

It couldn't possibly be I just hate hipsters? Naw I'm projecting.

Why so defensive? Actual retro enthusiasts don't give a fuck what others think, hipsters will get mad, but you go batshit crazy.

Because it's fun to make fun of hipsters? I visit retro threads often and I can tell when the OP is a retard or actually interested.

>If we're just talking tech hipsters, that's the domain of shit like ThinkPads and riced GNU/Linux
Tech hipsters are normies who like shit because it's hip, social faggots.
ThinkPad fags and GNU/Linux fags are just autistic fucks who usually don't even have a social life.

Get your shit straight faggot.

Why else would you "hate" hipsters? For something to work you into such a crybaby lather it must hit a nerve.
I'm bored.
They're children jumping onto a trend to fit in with what they believe to be the wider board culture.

Had:
Centris 650 with OS7
Power Mac 8100 (first time I had the internet) with OS8
Power Mac G3 aqua colored with OS9

I mostly remember playing the classic mac shareware games with these. Good times.

Ive still got one of those. Good times running descent, monkey island, and a million others on OS 9.2

I still have a Centris 650! I like 68k Macintoshes much more, than PPC ones of which I also own several

>that wallpaper
Anyone who has ever reproduced this in Blender or whatever? I would love to be able to render this to my own monitor resolutions.

>Why else would you "hate" hipsters?

There's a myriad of reasons. Devaluing a hobby's merit while also bringing in the wrong kind of "fans". Also tends to drive prices up if you're talking about old tech.

My school had a whole computer lab of these (and older macs, come to think of it), but it wasn't exactly some rich school. Did apple subsidize these for educational use or something?

>Did apple subsidize these for educational use or something?
I'm pretty sure they did at one point.

IIRC at least Apple II's being widespread in the US had something to do with that, so they may as well have with macs later on.

yeah, event loops are great for stability