Linux SUCKS. Why? Because:

Linux SUCKS. Why? Because:

1) Command lines/Lack of GUI's

Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.

2)Root/sudo is stupid.

Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?

3)Apt-get

Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?

4)Compiling

Again, stupid. Just give me a fvcking installer program. None of this compiling sh1t.

Come on Linux. The rest of the world has moved beyond 1990. It's time for you to do so also. I'm giving up and installing windows.

Not your blog, faggot.

So sorry guys, I left my computer on and my autistic 12 yo brother wrote the post (OP) above.
Told mum about it, and we'll make sure he'll be getting no pocket money in the next two weeks. That'll teach him not to post stupid shit on 4chin.
Again, sorry for wasting your time.

Damn, I feel kind of bad now for calling your autistic brother a ``faggot''. If it does come up, tell him it was a joke, okay?

OP here, this is fake news

>muh guis
There are frontends for common shit.
>Root/sudo is stupid.
>privilege separation is stupid
Enjoy your malware.
>Why is it so damn hard to install anything
Ubuntu has a software center if typing "apt install foo" is to hard for you and synaptic also exists.
>Compiling
>implying you have to compile anything
Stop rambling about stuff you have no idea about

Faggoty blog who care about your life
You sucks go play your Xbox

Last time I checked, you can't write scripts in a GUI.

/thread

Too long didn't read

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

Also "visually" constructing scripts is absolute trash. Fuck you fucking Schlumberger and your stupid fucking Petrel trash.

So fucking true. I will always buy Microsoft Windows™ because the future starts now™. Microsoft also pioneers innovative new technologies like DirectX™, Office™, and the highest quality operating system to ever grace computers.
When I boot up with a brand new computer running Microsoft Windows™ with the latest Z chipset powered by Intel™ and latest Nvidia™ graphics, I can enjoy the games the way they where meant to be played™. Microsoft™ also pioneers in the gaming field with its latest Xbox™ console to allow gamers to play on their big screens with family and friends.
Microsoft Windows™ is also very secure. It's the most secure operating system on the planet. It's harden against NSA probes, tested by highly trained and experienced programming engineers to have ever graced this planet. With such innovative security technologies like UAC, Defender, Security Essentials, BitLocker, and Windows™ Firewall you can ensure all your sensitive data is secured and you're safe on the internet. Microsoft™ most advanced, and dare say, the most advance web browser on the market, Edge™, has decoupled addon support, like flash, to ensure maximum user safety when browsing the web. You can ensure Microsoft™ keeps you safe from the NSA.
At this point in time there's really no reasons to consider Linux. I tried once. It caused my Nvidia™ graphics to overheat so much due to its poor quality, novice programmed, open source drivers that it exploded and nearly burnt down my house.

I feel like OP is someone who just moved over to Linux and hasn't gained the experience needed when coming to a new system. In time OP using Linux will be like breathing and you will understand all the time you wasted fiddling with GUI and reformatting your pc becuse malware. For now just stop posting and lurk more.

>complains about having to use a command line instead of a gui
>proceeds to type out a novel about his complaints instead of just summing it up with a picture
Cmon faggot practice what you preach.

You may be trolling, but all of this is accurate.

Up voted

downvoted

>implying you have to compile anything

not him, but I'm a linux noob, used Mint for less than a year and I have had to compile a few things

i just followed guides on the internet but yeah, it's pretty fucking stupid to have to do that

>1) Command lines/Lack of GUI's
Command line is faster, more efficient and easier to automate than some shitty GUI. That said, if you actually want to use a GUI, just install Ubuntu. You'll be able to do 99% of everything via GUI, just like in windows.

>2)Root/sudo is stupid.
No, running everything as an admin is FUCKING RETARDED. Sudo is a great thing if you care at all about your data security and not getting ransomware up your ass.

>3)Apt-get
Just use synaptic or ubuntu software centre if you need a GUI for everything, faggot.

>4)Compiling
Literally two commands you just need to copy-paste on bash. And you probably don't even need any program you'd need to compile.

>I'm giving up and installing windows.
I'll never get why anyone would prefer literal malware like Windows 10 to having an actual operating system.

>you probably don't even need any program you'd need to compile

what about eDuke32?

Linux sux for desktop, but your arguments are mostly things I like about it and people who are good with computers would like them even more. Are you sure you are computer literate?

>complains that writing text is stupid by writing text
>denounces admin accounts because they want admin accounts
>complains that programs install without having to press forward several times
>complains about compiling in a packaging system that doesn't do compiling

Obvious bait is obvious. But just in case you are not baiting:

1) You don't have to use command line in Linux. There are GUI configuration tools for pretty much everything.
>GUIs don't require me to learn commands
You still have to learn how to use the program. Any sufficiently complex software requires reading of a manual and learning how to use it. Even if it's GUI.

2) You are doing it wrong. You shouldn't run programs as root unless you have a very specific requirement to do so (servers listening on ports below 1024, system management software, ...).
>What ever happened to good old admin accounts?
root == "admin account"

3) Package managers are faster than GUIs for installing applications. To install a program with package manager you just have to open terminal and type in sudo apt-get install , enter password and wait for package manager to do the work. With setup based installers you firstly need to open web browser, navigate to web page, download software, check if hashes match, scan it for viruses, run it, click next, pay attention to hidden check boxes to avoid installing malware, wait for installer to do it's thing and then if you are lucky you won't have to restart your PC. Now you tell me which process described takes longer and requires more user intervention.

4) You don't have to compile anything, use binary based distributions. Nice people have already compiled software for you.

In reality it's windows that is stuck in 1990. Windows didn't even have virtual desktops until Windows 10. When Vista introduced Aero, on Linux there was already compiz doing 3D cube rotating virtual desktops with wobbly windows. Windows doesn't even let you use your PC half of the time, you need to specify your "active hours" and reserves 12h for installing updates. Don't forget about file systems. Windows STILL uses NTFS (1993 - there are your 90's).

Damn, I haven't reformatted a PC for malware in 15 years. Imagine all those 0 hours I could have saved.

>tfw can't use eduke32 to sell my indie gayme
>tfw forced to settle for shitzdoom
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It's quite clear that and are Linux shills trying to convince you to settle on something less than the optimal experience with Windows™. Windows™ is the only real way to play games or do anything productive. We've seen that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Visual Studio and Microsoft C++ Compiler. He is probably too poor to afford the Microsoft Windows™ experience and can not afford to play any games.
Don't be a poor gamer with bad security and no drivers. The Future Starts Now™ with Microsoft Windows™

I still have no sound.

Damn your computer probably has more viruses then your mom at this point then.

>Why the fvck would I want to use a command line?

Because it is convenient and very easy to use. If you are too dumb to be able to type sudo apt-get firefox I can't help you.

1) GUI is just a bunch of lies that deprives you of power. If you want to utilize a full power of an os, use CLI. That is especially true on servers.

2)No, it's genius. It prevents you and other potentially unwanted stuff to happen without your permission. Makes you more aware.

3)Package managers are much more powerful and useful then installing stuff manually. Try different one's other from apt and you will understand.

4)You don't have to compile stuff on most distros.

>1) GUI is just a bunch of lies that deprives you of power. If you want to utilize a full power of an os, use CLI. That is especially true on servers.

CLI is fine for some things, but having to memorize what essentially is a language just to issue common commands is tedious.

Learning to use Linux is a lot like learning Shyriiwook; it impresses other nerds, but it's not at all useful in the real world.

>GUI is just a bunch of lies that deprives you of power

I can really imagine doing video or photo editing from the CLI, so much more fucking powerful right

all OS's have you jumping through hoops to get shit done right, windows included. linux has a few more hoops, but that's the prize you pay for using a free, open and very flexible OS.

>very flexible
>only useful for servers

kek

>Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.
You can't script a GUI. Interop between programs is nonexistent.
If you can it's laughably shit.

>Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?
Having a root user is more secure for system files. Let's say some flash exploit works its way into your PC through firefox. If ran as root it would have FULL access to all system files.

>Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?
You can acquire all the software you want in a one liner with your eyes closed. It's pretty fuckin' cool. It makes fresh installs a breeze and if you write a script even breezier.
You can use the GUI installs to save some time if you just need one thing.

>Again, stupid. Just give me a fvcking installer program. None of this compiling sh1t.
You always have a choice. Binary or compile. Nothing is forcing you but if you compile but you'd have many more options and optimizations for your system.

Both fake. Real OP here. I just reinstalled Windoes, its way better rhan Lincux.

>but it's not at all useful in the real world.

Have you ever managed servers? Developed any piece of software and deployed it on your server?
Automated tasks?

Scripting and CLI are a must for these things. And yes, this is the real world and the most common usage of Linux.

Almost forgot about this pasta

Again, this is fake. I've lost my Windows install CD and I'm still looking how to burn an iso from Linux. I might be doomed to stay on Linux forever if I can't figure it out.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait

Yes, like I said, CLI is useful for some things. Just like Shyriiwook would be useful for speaking with Wookies.

Of course, when I say real world, I mean common usage aka the DE. In the same way that real world usage of an automobile would be on streets, highways and freeways and not in a closed circuit race track.

There are actually situations in which you would want to do exactly that.

>situations

That's all Linux is, a bunch of situations.

That's so deep

>Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.
Linux has GUIs though.

>Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?
Even Windows does that now though. Persistent root is stupid, because it makes it way too easy to exploit.

>Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?
You can use regular installers on Linux, but package managers are just easier. Literally you just type "sudo apt-get [package]\n[password]" and then let it run. Whereas Windows style you have to constantly keep clicking through and reading stuff.

>People responding to this low quality of bait
tsk tsk

Is that not life?

Last week I wasted a whole day running virus scans because I copied some Javascript into a text editor. Such is life as a Windows user.

You're probably better off without it.

CLI is often more consistent than GUIs though.

>You can use regular installers on Linux, but package managers are just easier. Literally you just type "sudo apt-get [package]\n[password]" and then let it run.
It's only easy if you know exactly what you have to type in. If you don't know the name of the package - tough shit.

>Whereas Windows style you have to constantly keep clicking through and reading stuff.
Many Windows installers have quick/express installation modes, or even batch/silent install modes in some cases. Still, it's good to at least review the installation settings rather than accept defaults blindly.

I was 12 when I began using a computer. This was a time before Windows, when the pc world was embroiled in DOS wars. Not all DOS were made equal. Some had more commands, some had more useful commands with lots of modifiers. DOS made the keyboard feel like a powerful instrument through which the user became the master of the circuitry. I remember when Windows alpha starting floating around the pirating BBS sites. I remember quite well that most DOS usersrejected Windows and felt that Windows was a dumbing down of the pc experience, much like most Windows users feel that consoles are a dumbing down of the Windows pc gaming experience. I loathe Microsoft because of what it has become, just as I loathe all the big tech giants Apple, Intel, Google, Facebook, Amazon, and HP. Those companies have become shameless purveyors of fascism, actively colluding with big government to destroy the freedom, liberty, and right to privacy of all humanity. I cannot begin to tell you how absolutely thrilled I am to know that a new generation is embracing a free and open-source pc experience again.

i'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're just shitposting with copypasta and are not in fact retarded

>2017
>almost WWIII
>using your mouse
>using ubuntu
>not emacs master
Kys.

>Bumping your own thread
You're a fucking joke, gtfo

> Why the fsck do I want to use a command line?
You don't need to. Mainstream distros are find the way they are, until you want to fine-tune them.

> Root/sudo is stupid.
If you got an admin account and you leave for a couple minutes, anybody can not only impersonate you, but do Very Bad Things™. Unlike Windows, *nix actually cares for your security.

> Can't get programs to run
> Whatever happened to good old admin accounts?
If a desktop launcher has any sense, admin programs will follow a "gksu" command which shows a graphic password prompt. If not, then my heart bleeds for you.

> apt-get
Ubuntu Software Center
"Distro-brand Software Center"
Synaptic
There's literally no excuse for this.

> Compiling
If you're sick of compiling then stop using Gentoo.

> The rest of the world has moved beyond 1990.
And yet Windows Admin accounts are still insecure enough that admins have the sense to have an admin and an "everything else" account.

> I'm giving up and installing windows

If CLI is so great, why do DEs exist?

>2
because letting anything you run run as root default is very smart

>If you got an admin account and you leave for a couple minutes

I live alone, so when I walk from my study to the kitchen what's going to happen?

Okay, next scenario:
> Working on computer
> Accidentally click command that breaks your computer (remove the wrong file, directory etc)
> A wild `gksu` prompt pops up
> praise the sun
> click cancel
> accidentally clicked ok
> that's all right because I didn't type my password, so it wasn't accepted
> click cancel

Let's do that in Windows
> Accidentally perform command that does something Very Bad™
> o shit
> suddenly a wild yes/no prompt pops up
> praise the sun
> accidentally click ok
> shitshitshitshitshit

>accidentally click ok

in the 18 years of using windows this has never happened to me. I accidentally click the thing that brings up the admin prompt but always click no, also:

>Linux babysits you so you can make mistakes all day long

Do you really want to advocate that?

btw how delusional are you? Do you really think that windows users are bricking their computers regularly because the admin prompt doesn't require a password? How would you even go about defending that observably wrong assumption?

> locks door when away
> "how delusional are you> Do you really think that robbers always try to go through your door just because it doesn't look locked?

It's simply a just-in-case scenario. Again, *nix is built with security in mind.

you've barely used it and called it shit because surprise surprise, its different from windows so you just call it shit. all of you points can be boiled down to it not being like windows, if you had been using linux for your entire life and then switched to windows you'd hate it for being different as well; go empty out your drool bucket chump.

OP you might not realize now but you think you're so smart by saying those shits, but I seriously hope you will one day look back and realize how stupid you are for trying to appear so smart.

wow Sup Forums falls easy for low-effort trolling huh

It's probably more likely that he doesn't want to use Linux because the DEs are trash and Linux lacks software support compared to Windows.

What you're saying is like lambasting an FPS player for using a mouse instead of a controller. We all know how a controller works, but a mouse is a better tool for the job. Your baby duck syndrome is meme-tier cope for your ego. People will naturally migrate to something unfamiliar if there are clear benefits.

It's been the year of the Linux desktop for how many years, now?

>replying to a pasta

>pacman -Ss
>apt search or some shit.

>It's only easy if you know exactly what you have to type in. If you don't know the name of the package - tough shit.
The same problem exists on Windows though, you can't download something without knowing where to find it, not to mention that idiots are likely to come across a fake download full of viruses.

Why does Windows 10 exist? Why does PHP exist?

sudo dnf provides ...
for redhat

sudo apt search ...
for debian simple shit

for gentoo it is more complex
arch is a peice of shit
temple os is the only true os it has gui INSIDE command prompt the best of both worlds

Indeed my friend, we have to take care of our kids.

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called " xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install " lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

>Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.
But isn't it just zeroes and ones? Why couldn't you take the disk out, slave it to another computer, set the NX bit and overwrite it with zeroes so you can reinstall Windows?

linux cuckolds will defend this

>CLI is faster

It is, though.

You can have faster binaries if you compile with -march native.

wtf i hate linux now

>he doesnt compile everything with march=native

Many Linux users are programmers, and most of our tools are primarily available via the command line. It's also really useful for automation.

>And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.
Pretty much everything that you need and/or are likely to use as a normie does have a GUI. You can even run a package manager via the GUI. That said, between learning a complex user interface and learning some commands, I'd prefer the latter. The command line is really, REALLY simple.

>Root/sudo is stupid.
What Linux calls "root" is literally just the system administrator account. The sudo command is used to run a program as the admin account. Programs won't automatically ask you to do that on their own.

>apt-get
Just so you know, there is a graphical interface to the package manager. Most people prefer to use the command line for these tasks because it is faster. Installers aren't used because package managers are just plain better. While you can technically get a dpkg file that sort of acts like an installer, it is much easier to let your computer do all of the searching for the file for you.

>Compiling
Very few programs are only available from source.

>implying an anime poster knows what that does

>I have had to compile a few things
Like what? I've used mint, ubuntu, debian and arch(was curious whether the it just breaks meme was right or not) and the only time I "had" to compile anything was when I tried compiling a kernel out of curiosity.

>The same problem exists on Windows though, you can't download something without knowing where to find it
That's kind of my point. It comes down to familiarity with the environment, not the system itself.

eduke32, the newer version of Ardour that isn't in repos, ungoogled chromium are the 3 i can think of right now

Thanks user, i'm sorry for your autistic bro.