Unity 3D

Does this game engine suck? Why does it suck?

>Takes polymorphism to a new level of autism
>Relatively slow
>Developers can't access source code

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=java&lang2=csharpcore
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mobile trash. Keep that shit away from PC

>Takes polymorphism to a new level of autism
C# is not a proper language for complex real time applications like games.
>Relatively slow
I don't know about this, but every Unity game I've played performs worse than other games with similar visuals on other engines. Could be the devs fault or Unity's performance loss due to some massive layers of abstraction... or both.
>Developers can't access source code
This is just plain retarded.

Also Unity UI is just slow, shit af, and just generally bad
Use unreal

>shitty pajeets complain that the engine is "shit" because they are unable to optimize their code
>muh low FPS, muh laggyness

Writing efficient code is not for everyone

This

Great for prototyping and mobile games. Walking simulator maximum.

But for bigger project, Unreal is much better for sure.

Samefag

Please stick to html pajeets, optimizing draw calls is not for your shit stained hainds

>efficient code
>C#

Pick 1

better than Java

Unity is abandonned, back to Gnome guys.

0/10

Java runs circles around C#, which is quite sad since Java itself is already considered too slow for games

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=java&lang2=csharpcore

Now when you compare C# to C++, you see just what an awful choice C# is for real time applications. Its a meme language that's only used by low tier programmers that were tricked by Microsoft's marketing.

Great for mobile, ok for non visually intensive stuff.

If you need "MUH GRAFFIX", Unreal is your shit.

Unity is a engine for little dev team, quick prototyping or mobile games. The engine must be fast, the development must be quick. C++ for scripting is overkill. If you want performance, Unreal is better.

Minecraft is written in Java.

And it's a pile of steaming shit.

Aaand it's shitty and unstable
Smell the bait so here's your (you)

"games" made on Unity are rarely anything other than glorified mods, that would have been free 15 years ago.

Pros:
made building games more accessible for creative types.
Cons:
Often end up with extremely poorly optimized garbage, like 2D games running at 15 FPS on a modern gaming PC.

Is it true that it's better to (more profitable) develop games for mobile market? will this be true for, let's say 2 years in the future? I've been thinking lately about making some games and mobile games seem very simplistic and easy to grasp for a beginner like me.

Subnautica uses Unity
>slow as shit
>World takes 60-120 seconds to load
>40FPS on best available hardware
>windows & mac only in spite of Unity's claim to be universal
>slow as shit updates too - must be hard to work with
Yeah, I'll stick with Unreal or ID6.

>not coding your own engine using sfml + opengl3 + nim programming language
L O L

still has no support for linux and builds for linux as just wrappers

Reinventing the wheel is not the unix way, user.

Have you seen the results of a riced minecraft with shaders and texture packs ? Seriously, it's more beautiful than a lot of current gen games. Plus it runs flawlessly on a shitton of platforms. Java can do games, that's a fact.

Minecraft was literally a project for notch to learn OpenGL. He had a limited plot of what the gave would be. The come is shit shocked on shit. Like any programming language shit come makes shit software.
t. developer for one of the biggest minecraft servers

this

unfortunately we aren't at the point where we can have canned game engines that do all we need, unity and unreal are really only appropriate for a certain class of games, if you want to do anything else you're stuck making your own engine

it's just a cheap clone of unreal engine, they aren't interested in making a quality product, all they're interested in is taking away unreal's customers

.NET Framework on Windows outperforms java and is close to C++ in terms of performance

it is true that .NET Core is still pretty shitty tho

It is when the wheels are all broken.

It's community is litterally just a bunch of 12 year olds.

there are hundreds of other game engines and libraries, world doesn't end on unity and unreal

Unity is inefficiency made flesh.

>unix way
aka. parsing humongous text files using 10 pipes is some "better" than quick-and-dirty data structure. because text files are somehow "universal"

unixfags are really fucking delusional

>>Sup Forums
>>/underage/

yup, that's the unix way

>People complaining about C# and .NET performance as a counter to Unity
You guys know that they're compiling C# straight to native code, right? There's no embedded JIT or anything.

>Does this game engine suck?
Yes.
>Why does it suck?
Unity.

are you trying to state a fact ?

yup, that's a fact that has been stated

[Citation seriously fucking needed]

Um...

>not writing your own engine in assembly

fucking pleb

Meme game engine

It's not bad for a starting point in the 3D realm of things but don't expect people to take your game seriously when they hear it's made in Unity.

>what is the difference betweeen .NET Framework and .NET Core

I honestly don't know. I just never seen benchmarks where c# is as fast as c++.

For edgy zombie games made by 12 year olds, it's top of the line.

That's because there are none. You've just encountered a Microsoft shill in action

Is there any game engine that can do wind simulation on grass usine a sine wave or similar and also support collision detection and physics on said grass at the same time? Never mind the performance hit, that's irellevant. I can get collision detection working in ue4 but no way to add realistic wind. I want wind that move in "gusts". I've been toying with the idea of animating a mesh the way wind behaves and have it be invisible. Then haveing it collide with the grass as it moves around. Doable?

To clarify, I want the grass and foliafe to be affected by strong wind and the player character at the same time.

Foliage*

On mobile, sorry for the spelling

i didn't say c# is as fast as c++, i only said it's closer than java when using standard .Net Framwork on Windows

C# has some stuff that would make it definetly faster when used properly (structs, unsafe blocks with pointers etc), but if you target anything else than Windows and care for performance that much it's probably better to stay with java (or better c++)

It's shit, easily beaten by unreal engine.
It's terrible on mobile, what are you talking about? Literally every mobile game made in unity overheats most phones (most popular example is Pokemon GO). It's opposite of light and it's developers are terrible at optimization. The only properly optimised game on unity seems to be hearthstone and it's made by jews.
Agreed. As stated by the other user, Minecraft is written in java. And Microsoft made a C++ version which is significantly lighter on resources and faster and is a fair comparison of C++ vs Java. Java is a terrible language for anything requiring over 100MB RAM, which means it's shit for games. Java also executes slower than C++ in all gaming scenarios. Since java is comparable to C# neither of those are good for game development.

qfusion, ioquake, irrlicht
bitch nigger

Any game engine is good, you just need to know how to do your stuff.

Since Unity is considered good for beginners, it will usually result in trash games. Look for cities skyline, the game is great and it was made with Unity.

Layers of Fear was quite good and it was made with Unity

I wont believe it until I see benchmarks

post some learning channels/videos guise

>polymorphism
I'm not really that knowledgeable on Unity, but I thought it was following component based design, which shouldn't require polymorphism.

they managed to fuck it up and also use polymorphism

java isn't rendering the game retard

Slenderman

And Minecraft is a slow inefficient piece of fucking shit.
Your point?

It wasn't created with making games in mind
Compare it to UE4, which was created by first creating a fully functional game