/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.
>Ryzen 5 launch edition

State the PURPOSE of your PC, BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List which GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for single threaded tasks. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5/7
>R7 for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>RX500 comes April 18th. Vega in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.de/SK-Hynix-Canvas-SSD-Festplatte-5-Zoll-Laufwerk/dp/B01H5KW8VG/
amazon.de/PNY-CS1311-Interner-Flash-Speicher-240GB/dp/B019H3B3OW/
amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-Express-PCIe-480GB/dp/B01MDRUXNZ/
purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_amd_ryzen_5_1400_konkurent_intel_core_i5_7400
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Ripjaws-DDR4-2400-SO-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit_1033470.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130993
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374202
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks for no shill OP but 470 isn't that great if you live in the U.S. really. Price/performance for 480 is just too much better for the extra money.

>tfw poorfag

What are AMD alternatives to 1050Ti with passive cooling to replace 750Ti?

Yeah but like 50% of posters are from the U.S.
At least make a note about it.

>poorfag
>wont buy used parts
>Sup Forums loonixtime filename

There isn't really one if you want to pray gayms. What's wrong with the 1050ti?

Reposting from last thread.
As for the GPU I was thinking about GTX1060-6GB / RX480 8GB. Which of those 2 would you recommend?

>waiting
>IT'S LITERALLY RELEASED TODAY
Not im my country sadly. Have to wait at least a month, probably longer.
>Major problems are that I don't think those particular SSDs are reliable
I guess the pirce was a little too good for 525 GB to not hae some problems.
I could go with a smaller capacity one like
amazon.de/SK-Hynix-Canvas-SSD-Festplatte-5-Zoll-Laufwerk/dp/B01H5KW8VG/
amazon.de/PNY-CS1311-Interner-Flash-Speicher-240GB/dp/B019H3B3OW/
Or pick a more expensive high capacity one like
amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-Express-PCIe-480GB/dp/B01MDRUXNZ/
Mostly plan on having just my OS and maybe a couple of games on it, so 250GB should be fine I guess.
>and that shit 2133mhz RAM.
What would you recommend? The 3000mhz ones would be quite a bit more expensive. And I lack the experience to say if it's worth it/necessary.
>Did you forget the cooler, too?
A bunch of people in the last thread kept saying that the i7 stock cooler is pretty decent so you could save some money by forgoing one. Is that not the case?

Nothing, but i thought that since AMD suppose to compete on GPU market they should've offered something similar.

The RAM is shit yeah but I don't really know the situation in Euro and cbf checking. No 2400 stuff?
i7 stock cooler is fine for nominal use but why get the K version if you don't want to overclock?
MX300 isn't that bad an SSD really if it's considerably cheaper than alternative.
Seagate HDDs have a considerably higher failure rate on average than WD and shouldn't be that much cheaper.
Most importantly, why are you spending so much on a CPU and motherboard to get a pretty shit graphics card like a 1060 or 480?

>R5 not selling anywhere

Not in all areas obviously. For a long time the 7850 was the best low profile card available with no real competitor from nVidea, obviously not the case now. It's always varying for niche stuff.

It's difficult because it depends on sales.

Sometimes the cheapest RX470 is $120 when the cheapest RX480 is $170.
It's 90% the performance, so being 65% the price is good value.

But when there's an RX480 for $150 and the cheapest RX470 is $140, then okay obviously the RX480.

RX570 should be capable of passive cooling. It looks like it's on an updated process and more power efficient.
Have you considered a cooler with a single 120mm or 140mm that can run nearly completely silently, though?

>spending $100 on a 1050
>when an RX470 is literally TWICE as fast and not much more money.
idk man it's not worth it.
Hell you can buy a used 7970 or 280X for under $85 that's still 50% better than that shit.

7970 is GOAT poorfag video card.

>Still rocking a 290x

Oh my fucking god I'm a month away from getting an 1080ti

AYYAMMMDEEE VEGAA WHENNN

>RX570 should be capable of passive cooling
t. serial arsonist

Take it to /guts/ swag boy.

nVidia is offering For Honor or Ghost Recon Wildlands for those who purchased a 10 series GPU (1060 and above I think). Does it have to be an online purchase? If not then how do you get the free game.

Where's your fucking PSU?

I don't see it on any website dearest user. Then again the business day hasn't really started in American yet.

i want to use an old ps3 fat as a case. the issue of course is even with a mitx board a gpu and cpu cooler dont fit properly. so the gpu solution is a pcie extension cable right? then what about the cpu cooler? also i want to use the ps3s power and eject button so how do i convert the ribbon cable to something a mobo can read?

purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_amd_ryzen_5_1400_konkurent_intel_core_i5_7400
rip
probably has a small paper with the codes written on it inside the box

I have a 7970 and I still don't feel rushed to get a new card. But I'll probably get Vega if it's good anyway just because it seems like the logical upgrade from this card that's lasted me forever and been able to play anything.

I see but what if it doesn't even though it was recently bought?

Who knows. Look up the terms and conditions. Usually with these promos you have to go to a site and enter your serial number. You get a redeem key if it's within the right manufacturing period. It's also often manufacturer specific but I don't know.

file a complaint to nvidia
they'll ask you for your GPU id number or some shit
you reply with it
???
get a free game

I see. Thank you

If you don't know the solution to the using the buttons, you probably don't know enough to do this right.

At the back. It's a pretty big case.

>The RAM is shit yeah but I don't really know the situation in Euro and cbf checking.
Disregard what I said, I suck cocks.
Apparently you can get Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB at 3000mhz at a similar price point. I don't know whit about brands, but I remember those being around for a while, so it should ge good, right?
>i7 stock cooler is fine for nominal use
Nevermind, apparently that one doesn't even include a stock cooler according to pcpartpicker. Would something simple like a 212 Evo be sufficient?
>but why get the K version if you don't want to overclock?
I've never done overclocking before, but I'll look into it this time around. Well, K does offer a higher tact frequency out of the box, does it not?
>Seagate HDDs have a considerably higher failure rate on average than WD and shouldn't be that much cheaper.
It's 45€ more expensive. Not sure if it's worth it. My last Seagate has held 6+ years.
>Most importantly, why are you spending so much on a CPU and motherboard to get a pretty shit graphics card like a 1060 or 480?
Becase everybody is telling me not to bother with i5s (I planned to take one at the beginning) and Ryzen 5 won't be out for at least a month (likely more) in my country. Also some of the games I play on playing are more CPU (modded CK2, which causes a lot of slowdown on anything that isn't a high-tier CPU).

Then again I'm unfamilar with current hardware, so I have a hard time matching them properly.

G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400 is pretty cheap. Found it for 119€ here: mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Ripjaws-DDR4-2400-SO-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit_1033470.html

What about Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB at 3000mhz?

>I need page for every single little test
>44 pages long
Why didn't we let the Germans finish off Poland?

These numbers don't look right at all, either
>i5-6400 better than i7-3770k in BF1.
>DX12 benchmarks with an nvidia GPU
>overclocks in some gaming benchmarks, but not others.

I think they literally made up most of these "results".

Nothing wrong with buying the i7 now. I just think you'd be better off getting the locked version and a cheaper motherboard and spending the saved money on at least a 1070. CPU specific games or not it's still a stupid performance gap if you get a 1060 or 480.

I'd agree with this.
Though the 1070 isn't very good performance/$ either.
But that in general, what you spend to significantly overclock a 7700k simply isn't worth it. A 7700 is good stock with a cheaper motherboard and the stock or a cheaper cooler.

1. i7 benchmark isn't that surprising at stock clock. BF1 is a buggy POS.
2. I don't get it?
3. Little weird but eh.

Yeah I said at least because it seems they're on a strict budget and Euro prices are pretty bad.

What is the cheapest i7 build one can get? I need a backup plan if ryzen 5 flops.

Whatever build you're planning on getting.
But with a locked i7.

What does locked mean? You cant overclock?

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really lost here.
What cheaper motherboard would you recommend?

yes

Yes. Intel processors suffixed with a "K" are unlocked, meaning the multiplier cannot be changed and they're priced higher. You can also save motherboard by getting a chipset that is "locked", but with essentially the same features as the more expensive gayming ones.

Hi, im total noob when comes to build pc. All the time i had laptop. Can someone answer me to this question please?
I know there are some kind cases, but im looking to build a compact pc, (size of a laptop, mb bigger than console) which should i choose? Anyone have like pic/photo to compare sizes?

Thank you!

multiplier CAN be changed*

depends on your needs.
There is a fuckload of boards.
B250 will be cheaper, but Z270 will allow for faster RAM.

to be clear, you need BOTH the "k" on the CPU, and a Z270 board to overclock.

But... the cheap like $85-$120 Z270 boards are generally not good for overclocking, and really you need a $140+ one.
But they can be good at least support faster memory for not much more which can really give a bigger benefit than overclocking for cheaper.

It's fucking weird. Jews made things confusing to swindle people out of money.

Get a B250 chipset and avoid MSI. Whatever you like babe.

mini itx is the smallest formfactor. but if you have never build a pc before you should probatly stay away from that

full towers are for lots of hard drives
mini itx is for puzzle builders
literally anything else you will be able to work with as a noob

my friend which working as IT will help me, im going to read some shit etc. so yea. still its far from doing that but im doing small steps.

Worst post ever desu~

You won't be able to build one smaller than a console without a bit of effort. The main issue is the cooler for the CPU and video card usually needs to be quite large. You can buy "low profile" cases, about as large as the original PS3 or current PS4 Pro, but you would need to buy a low profile CPU cooler and video card to match.

its obviously a conversion adapter or a rewire, just dont know the adaptor name.

>B250 will be cheaper, but Z270 will allow for faster RAM.
And another choice I'm clueless about.
Well it's been pointed out what I was using slow 2133mhz Ram, so I picked a 3000 one.
I guess I could go a middleground with a GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H and some 2400mhz RAM.

No, you just don't know what you're talking about.
>conversion adapter
>adaptor
Ha ha you got me 3/10 bait my dude.

B250 and 2400 RAM is the best option in my opinion, but it won't run memory faster than that. Compatible, but it will just slow it down to 2400.

Isn't it common practice though to buy a slightly better motherboard though?
Otherwise you might have to upgrade your motherboard together with the first part you upgrade.

you will have to do that anyway since there are no better CPUs comming out for socket 1151

Why would you have to do that? For what component?

I see you are talking about motherboards here. Let me ask you a question. What budget MoBo do I need for G4560+RX470 but with option to put better components later? Currently looking at GIGABYTE B250.

2400 is max on B250, but sometimes deals come up for a $85 Z270.
Those $85 Z270 aren't good for overclocking, but at that price could be worth it just so you could run 3200mhz RAM for that 5-10% performance improvement in gaymes.

But it depends on whether or not that cheap Z270 actually has the features you want.

Like you can currently get newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130993 to run up to 3800mhz RAM.
Spending an extra $30 for a motherboard and $20-$30 on RAM for a 5-10% performance improvement might be worth it.

But spending $80 more on a motherboard, $20-$30 more on ram, $90-$150 more on a cooler, and $40 more on an unlocked CPU for a 7-25% improvement makes less sense.

None, upgrading on Intel platforms is useless since they change the socket at least every two years.

You're probably looking for miniITX size, but save yourself the trouble and get microATX instead

but i'm updating only once in 8 years

Just some cheapass $60-$70 B250 and DDR4 2400 RAM.

You are never going to use all those PCI lanes that motherboards have. 99.99% people only use the single x16 slot for a GPU and that's it.

As far as upgradability.. well you don't have a huge upgrade path with any LGA1151. It's an EoL socket. There is not a better CPU coming out for them.
You can add in a locked 7700, which is over twice as good and very big upgrade. But you aren't going to be able to add a 6 core.

Would adding RGB lights to the case make the PC overall hoter?

What is wrong with msi mobos?

>7970 or 280X
>8+6pin housefires
>vs no PCI power needed

Yeah no.

Thanks.

Only if they're red LEDs.

Would Vega be bottlenecked by my system?
Should I just Delid it and push it to [email protected]?
Would upgrading to DDR3 2400 make a worthwhile difference?

Other stats
>750W PSU
>Freesync Monitor

What about blue?

Then get something good now and something new in 8 years. Pentium wont get you that far unless everything you do is jewbook, jewtube and mails.

OK.

Objectively wrong. Here's a basic Sup Forumsestalt.

find a used 960 then

no you will kill you cpu, ivy bridge an previous intel cpus are still solderd. delidding is only a thing for haswell and newer

>Would Vega be bottlenecked by my 4c/4t
Yes
>Should I just Delid it and push it to [email protected]?
Won't matter. 5ghz overclocked 7600k still drops under 60fps and locks up in tons of newer games.

So even with the twice as expensive 270 one you wouldn't be spared?

Well you are already at you upper limit as far as RAM is concerned (speed wise), so I'd assume it would be the same for other components as well.

Thanks man, you've been very helpful so far.
Already at nearly 1530€ as far as parts go and I still need to get another monitor, printer, mouse/keyboard, soundcard/networkcard and all that jazz. I've been picking parts from one shop so far, so I'll guess I'll cross check in the evening and see how much I can save buying from different shops. Might have to cut down on some components too, but I'll do that once I have every component listed.

Ivy bridge are deffo not soldered.
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=374202

What if I dropped in a used 3770K?

>Pentium wont get you that far unless everything you do is jewbook, jewtube and mails.
Not him, but joke's on you.
My Pc was 6+ years old with only minor upgrades (GPU died a couple of years ago, upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM) and could run Rainbow Six Siege and Total Warhammer (at low settings, but good FPS).

>So even with the twice as expensive 270 one you wouldn't be spared?
exactly
also check geizhals.at

Anyone else hype for r5 reviews today? Interested to see how the cheapest 4c8t does and the 6c chips too.

>also check geizhals.at
That's what I planned to do.
Guess I'll don't be a fauler sack and build that PC myself with parts from all over.

>at low settings

Still not Jewtube/Facebook and mails :^)

I gues i'm more interestet which jewtuber is shilling the most on this on lol

>What if I dropped in a used 3770K?
Yeah, that'd be a good upgrade.
Older CPUs hyperthreading isn't nearly as good as it is now days, but still much better.

I'm hoping we can see ones actually on new BIOS instead of shill reviewers dusting off the old BIOS versions and putting them with 2133mhz memory against Intel on 3800mhz.

Close enough, have fun with your old shitpile while i enjoy new technology and excellent fps with max settings.

nice op what case is that

Joke's still on you, I'm working on building a new PC right now.
Although everybody can play the best game (Dominions 4) at excellent FPS and max settings.

You guys seem to hate MSI motherboards is there any reason to that?

Good deal of shitty models. But their actual high end models are fine.

Contrast to ASRock, who doesn't make a single awful board.

Jonsbo VR2.

I see. Thank you

Asus STRIX-RX470-4G-GAMING, RX 470 Gaming, 4GB GDDR5, 256 bit, PCI-E 3.0, 2x DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort
or
Ati Asus STRIX-RX470-O8G-GAMING, RX 470 OC, 8GB GDDR5, 256 bit, PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2x DVI, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort

I am asking because the 8gb is actually cheaper than the 4gb

then get the cheaper one

The 8gb card is probably less overclocked than the 4gb card.
>Gaming
>OC
Sacrificing 4gb of gpu memory isn't worth the 100 mhz of overclocking or whatever the difference is. But that's just my opinion.

8gb on a 470 is a meme anyway
just manualy oc it

MSI and EVGA really should be the only mobos to consider these days. ASUS if you want reddit tier bullshit like RGB and what not.

If you're looking at budget mobos it doesn't matter.

How about asrock? I don't want a 4 sata meme mobo.