/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC, BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List which GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for single threaded tasks. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5/7
>R7 for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>RX500 comes April 18th. Vega in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/bhjBJV
pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/tFW8dC
pcpartpicker.com/list/pd2WCy
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144029&cm_re=pc_mate_b350-_-13-144-029-_-Product)
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/m7yHKZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Time to buy a xeon

How worth it is a 1500X over a 1400?

pcpartpicker.com/list/bhjBJV

this is my build . thoughts? (i have an ssd)
aiming for 1080p 60hz gaming

Double the L3 cache. 1400 is a good option if you're in a tight budget and it's the best you can afford. Otherwise the 1500X is a nice upgrade for very little extra money. It's not just a case like the 1600->1600X where you can just OC the former.

Get an aftermarket GPU and faster RAM but it looks good other than that

Looks good, but I'd try to squeeze at least 2400 RAM and an Hitachi/HGST hard drive (or skip it altogether and live off the SSD for a while) as the WD ones, especially from that era and storage size, are not the most reliable.

>his motherboard isn't rotated by 90 degrees
lmao

Very worth it, IMO. The 1400 is lackluster.

1600 seems to be best overall choice though for a mix of gayman and productivity, but might be outside of tight budgets.

The 1400 seems the most meh one. I wouldn't get it.
They should have just disabled SMT on them, priced them lower, clocked them higher. I literally don't see the point in them except to get people to spend $20 more for the 1500X.

1500X, 1600, 1600X all seem like good options, though. Just depends on needs and budget.
-1500X is nice if you can't afford the 7700 but don't want games hitching so much from not having enough threads or from other applications running in the background since it's going to have more CPU utilization free than a 4c/4t. Even one at much higher clocks.
-1600 is a nice cheap 6 core with a cooler that games will likely utilize better in the future. And even if they don't, it's like a 4c/8t with an i3 to spare for your other shit to not interrupt gaming. Good for dual monitors, letting Steam download and update while you play without slowing shit down, etc.
-1600X is not quite as good price-performance as an overclocked 1600, but it's still a better binned chip and not too expensive. And if you planned on getting a better cooler anyway, you may as well be getting this.

>They should have just disabled SMT on them, priced them lower, clocked them higher.
That's supposedly what the R3 line is going to be

pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/tFW8dC
Anyone want to make any improvements to my build? I have a max budget of $1500. The things that I want to stay the same are the GPU, the CPU, the mobo, and the PSU.

I'd try to get at least a 250GB SSD and downsize the HDD to 2TB to make up for it. 120GB is too tight nowadays for Windows + games and/or dual booting (been there, done that), take into account some behemoths like Doom or WoW are around 50GB a pop and WoW for example is one of those games you absolutely want to be running on the SSD if you don't want minute-long loading screens.

I know.
I'm saying they should have just binned those 1400s down to R3s. They seem pretty garbage.
Or they should have just been cheaper. If they were $150 or less, that might make sense.
Sure you can overclock them to 3.8ghz to generally beat the i5-7400 with CPU utilization left over... but that's not exactly a high bar.

T W O C O O L

Are you aware of the problems that Nvidia GPUs are having on Ryzen right now? It's pretty fucked, and on tons of games.
If I were in your position, I'd just get that RX480 that's on sale for $190 right now and spend that savings on getting a 1TB SSD. You'd probably be thankful for doing that later down the line since upgrading GPU is more painless than upgrading SSD.
And 1080p? Meh.
Otherwise the other shit looks good.

Is there any reason to buy 1600x over 1600 ?

Alright, ill see what I can do. But from what Ive seen, this hard drive is enterprise grade, and is amazing. Plus if it fails, i will get full warranty.
No i was not aware of those compatibility problems. Can you give me a source?Yes. Its binned better, and has higher IPC

So, if I only gaym? 1500x is the best for me? or 1600x ??

Maybe 3.5-6% better overclock.
Or better stock clocks if you didn't want to overclock.

It should generally be 1800X performance in games, but half the price.
It's just up to you, man.

Check Anandtech's Ryzen review. They tested with the RX480 and R9 Fury in addition to Nvidia cards. You can see cases where an 1800X+1060 is HALF the fps as a 7400+1060, but put them with an RX480 and it becomes GPU limited like you'd expect.

1500x, 1600, or 1600x are all good. It just depends on your budget and what kinds of gaymes youll be playing

He's another example.
GTX Titan only at 52% load because the driver won't keep the GPU working.

It's obviously not CPU bottlenecked. No thread is at 100% load. It's the Nvidia driver fucking up.

One interesting thing I am noticing from the reviews is that Ryzen chips seem to perform disproportionately better for gaming when combined with fast ram AND and an AMD RX video card.

See pic related.

>GPU from 2014
>Beats Nvidia's best $1200 card from by almost 25%
NVIDIA DRIVERS ARE THE BEST

Fugg i dont want to wait for coffeelake 6-core, but i dont want Radeon graphics.
Its a new CPU retard. Plus both Nvidia and AMD are having a stalemate.

Yeeeep.

Ryzen + Vega is going to be greatest of all time.

Lucky i have rx480 then :^)

Yep, that's why we're recommending either holding onto your current GPU until 5xx/Vega releases or go for a 470/80 for a Ryzen build, at least until Nvidia sorts their shit out. Even though they are competing with AMD in the GPU department, they most likely don't want to be meme'd as the manufacturer to immediately dismiss if you're going to use an AMD CPU, especially if Ryzen gets legs and starts munching marketshare from Intel.

Lmao.

1% minimums on the RX480 are better than for the GTX1080 on all CPUs, not just Ryzen.

>Fugg i dont want to wait for coffeelake 6-core, but i dont want Radeon graphics.
Don't worry. As you can see, things are shit on Intel CPUs as well in many cases.
AMD performance is much more consistently where you'd expect it to be.

But seriously though, why?
Look how many people you see on Sup Forums still using a 7970, 280X, 290X, 390X. Old ass GPUs who don't feel the need to upgrade at all.
People with 290X back from 2013 can still game 1440p @ 60fps+ on almost any game.
People with Nvidia GPUs usually feel they have to upgrade every year and shit because they age like milk.

Will Nvidia ever sort their shit out?
These aren't just problems on Ryzen. Many of these problems are with Intel CPUs too. An RX480 should not outperform the 1080 in any metric, yet it does.

Rate hate and comments please
pcpartpicker.com/list/pd2WCy

Has anyone had any experience with this mobo? Looking to get it in an R5 1500X build.

(newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144029&cm_re=pc_mate_b350-_-13-144-029-_-Product)

It's probably shit.
Cheap MSIs are always shit. So are cheap ASUS. May as well get Biostar.

>cheap
isn't $100 standard for a b350 mobo though?

yeah it is but idk. Like it's not the Tomahawk or Mortar.
People are having troubles with Tomahawks sometimes, too.

Why not just get the ASRock Pro4, or Gigabyte Gaming 3 or 5?

It does LOOK nice. I do like how it has the x1 slot above the x16 but eh. Some others have that too.

Well, as I said it's in their best interest to improve. They've had some trouble with card-bricking, housefires and performance-tanking drivers in the last 6 months while AMD has done nothing but improve since they started with the Crimson drivers and added DVR and streaming options. A couple more mistakes on their end and all their customers left will be the ratty middle schoolers listening to YouTube shills.

>can't find anywhere selling r5 1600 for less than 250 euro that ships to/is in Ireland
man I hate not being American

Have it. Its fantastic. Dint be cucked into soending more than necessary like this faggot

Thanks senpai I'll get it for my new build

Looks good man. Be careful what m.2 cover you get tho. Those things always run red hot as it is

>1600(X) at 3.9 really does perform on par with a 4.8ghz clocked 7600K in games. Literally destroys it in everything else
>Do it while streaming with zero performance loss
>tfw waitfagging actually paid off
Shit. Is. Getting. Interesting.

I'm sorry I doubted you, Sup Forumsentoomen. Thank you for convincing me not to pull the trigger on muh meme i5 build. Particular thanks to the guy that talked me out of a 7700 non-k.

How am I looking:
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/m7yHKZ

Is the general consensus to go with the non-X and overclock?

Yup, pretty much since you can also use the stock cooler and wait until there are more AM4-ready coolers that don't need you ordering separate mounting brackets.

I'm looking into a Ryzen R5 1600 or 1600X build but i'm still undecided on the mobo.
On the one hand I kinda want to buy the Asus Prime X370, but apart from better sound, VRM and Intel LAN it doesn't offer really anything i need for about 40 bucks more.
On the other hand the Asus B350 Prime, MSI Tomahawk or whatever other mobo is good offers everything i want, apart from better sound, VRM and better Intel LAN, imho Realtek is meh.
So, my question is, should i spent the 40-50bucks more on the better mobo or simply stick with a cheaper B350 (if so, which one do you recommend) and call it a day.
To give an idea, budget 1k without GPU, i'll stick with my RX470 until something better comes around, then i'll upgrade to 1440p, too.

Why not just spend an extra 70 for 7700k if youre worried about gaming

>Is the general consensus to go with the non-X and overclock?

Yes, although most places seem to indicate that X chips are better binned and therefore more likely to hit high OC. Realistically though if you're satisfied with anywhere around 3.7-4.0 you should have no issues with the 1600, and you can even use the stock cooler.

Build looks good to me, but you may want to consider getting an AMD video card, for the issues previously mentioned in this thread - eg. see the RX480 getting better performance than the 1080. Unknown when/if Nvidia will provide a driver fix.

It's not just "an extra $70". You'll need a much pricier mobo to OC, and a 3rd party cooler becomes mandatory. Those $70 can quickly ramp up to $200 extra against a B350+1600 build.

>70 extra
Except it's £85 more. Then £40+ for a decent cooler. And £20+ more for a Z270 board.

Nah mate. Nah.

>Corelets trying this hard.
It's over.

>intel announced yet another chipset
>the release CPU for said chipset has 72 cores
>running at 1.5GHz

Do ryzens not need coolers for overclocking? I just use my z170 mobo. Works fine after bios update

>mfw a single Skylake-E core at 1.5GHz is worth a Zen core at 2.35GHz
>mfw Opteron Zen will top out at 32 cores
maximum kek

Honestly if I use my computer for gaming and the usual light usage (music, browsing, etc) should I get a 7600K or spend the extra money on a 7700K?

May hang back a little while longer and get some more insight in to the binning. And since I'm now considering the rx480 that'll give the rx580 time to show up too.

Damn. This time last year I wouldn't have guessed I'd ever be seriously considering an all-pajeet build. This comeback can only be good for everybody in the long run, even the biggest Intel shill.

>that don't need you ordering separate mounting brackets
Many manufacturers will send you a free mounting-kit anyways and many are already compatible.

Most of them come with coolers that are good enough to OC with.

R5 or 7700K depending on your budget. The i5 is officially dead as of today.

r5 1600

Didnt know people actually used the stock coolers for OC. Guess that makes imthe 7700 about $100 more

I want to be able to play games but also do some game dev with Unreal Engine 4. Would I be gimping myself with a 1600 or should I get the 1700? Is the jump from 6 to 8 cores really worth it for what I'm doing? Honestly if games run just as well with the 1600 as the 1700 then I don't care about the performance in UE4.

If you don't want to read all that: is the difference between a 1600 and 1700 worth it for just gaming?

Depends on how much $100 really means to you

>245 W
FIRE FIRE FIRE

Historically no one did - but the new Ryzen chips are efficient enough and the boxed coolers good enough that it is actually feasible.

Of course it's not going to be good for extreme-end OC, but there is quite a bit of headroom regardless.

more like
>2 gpus from 2013

>not wanting something thats better
?

Its why the 1700x and 1800x comes without coolers - the wraith spire wouldn't really be much use on them (it would keep them below meltdown but only just) but on the 65w parts it gives enough headroom for some moderate overclocking.

As per The Stilt's analysis you really don't want to push ryzen (especially ryzen 7) to 3.7-3.8ghz without proper cooling due to slamming into a voltage wall.

Pic is my overclocked 1700 that has a cooler rated to handle nearly 300w bolted to it (it was previously used to cool a 7.7ghz 8 core vishera chip). If it try and squeeze 4ghz (which I don't think my chip will hold) I need obscene voltage and temps rocket.

Nobody really does but that doesnt really win internet arguments

Do I pull the trigger on this? The R5 1500X is already a few bucks over budget in my third world shithole, but I suppose I can try getting a 1600 if it would make a significant difference.
I won't need a cooler, right?

Bump. Pulling the trigger on a build tonight

Where are you buying a z270 board for 20 pounds?? If you meant 200 there are much cheaper options

Why do you have 2 AIOs and why do you not have a D15, R1 ultimate or other such cooler?

>shit mouse
>buying windows
>6 fucking fans
>M.2 as a boot drive

>7.7ghz 8 core vishera chip

Why the hell did you even upgrade?

£20+ more than a B350 board, chum.

Whats wrong with m.2 as a boot drive?

Im 100% sure you can find a comparable mobo. If you like amd just say so dont reach

>$120 for RBG meme fans

Whatever, just do it, you obviously aren't concerned about value.

Lol woops typo. I meant 4.7ghz. 7.7ghz is not a realistic number.

Besides even if I did have such a chip it would be pulling so much juice I doubt many psus could keep up. Note I never said I kept my vishera cool, noly that I kept it stable and below thermal shutdown (only just).

One for my cpu one for my gpu. I dont like big fans i think theyre ugly.
>shit mouse
Programmable really good reviews. Im open to suggestions
>buying windows
Kinguin has windows for 20$
>6 fans
2 in the case 2 in each aio
>m.2 as boot drive
Dont see the problem? Great read times and size/no wires keep it discrete

I think they look cool. So i guess theres no problem with the hardware?

>coming here for hardware advice
Look at the lost little faggot. Thats not what this board is for m8

I use m.2 to boot. Wicked fast brotha

Ya im starting to see that :( I just wanted to make sure I didnt have some major flaw as this is my first build. I guess if there was one somebody would have
>pointed it out

How do you plan to actually mount one AIO on your gpu? How are you going to cool the memory and vrms?

Why are you using SP120's? There are better fans (especially PWM) than that. I just don't think you have thought this through.

Its the write speeds that make M.2 worth it over sata, something a boot drive doesn't give a fuck about.

>If you like amd just say so dont reach
Oh right. You're an intel shill. And here I was taking you seriously.

Even if the motherboards were identically priced, which they're not, I'd still be looking at a big hike in budget for pretty questionable returns for my needs. Not interested, famburger. 1600 does literally everything I want from it for significantly less money and doesn't tie me to a dead socket.

$120 isnt that much money to people over the age of 22. Thats only about the cost of a nice dinner

>Paying $120 for a box of shit
>"W-w-what's the matter, can't afford it?"

Also:
>Over 22
>Buying LED fans and a side-windowed case.
kystbhfam

Nzxt sells a mounting bracket for gpus. Id be open to fan suggestions tho. I just wanted them all to match with pretty lights. I come here for suggestions all the time and all people ever do is tell me to buy ryzen 1600 or that im wasting money

They are literally identically priced. I think theres like one shot b350 for $10 cheaper but thats splitting hairs. I said comparable and they are

Im over 22 and i have a windowed case. You sound salty

EK Vardar. Or if you are insane get some 38mm thick server fans and tame them with a custom fan curve (watch out for that power draw though).

Shame you don't have 140mm mounting as that opens up options for some monstrously powerful fans.

Here's what I'm working with so far.

Could use some advice on a few things though:

Case: NZXT H440 vs Thermaltake F51; I like the NZXT's appearance more, but the F51 still looks nice and is almost half the price, is there much difference in features?
CPU Cooler: Which coolers can handle a 1600x overclocked to 4.0 - 4.2 Ghz? It's hard to find any info on what kind of TDP a CPU cooler is meant for.
Motherboards: Which of the B350's can handle overclocking a 1600x to 4.0 - 4.2 Ghz?
PSU: Should I even bother with anything other than the 620W 80+ Bronze Seasonic?

The "reasonable build" in the image is what I'm aiming for. I'm trying to keep the price under $1400 so that I've got ~$600 to spend on Vega.

Open to suggestions beyond the parts I've got listed.

Also I'm building two of these computers - same parts in each, so if there's anywhere I can look for bundles that would lower the price a bit, it'd help.

>tfw you nearly followed logical increments' advice and bought an i5 7500
Fucking hell. That was a close one.

Thanks man ill look into those. You are the forst person to ever give me any useful feedback. Its appreciated

>$1700
>Not even a GPU

Don't thank me yet. What you need to think about is what you prioritise - cooling performance or silence? Slapping a 3900rpm delta fan onto your radiator could let it cool hundreds of watts of heat but it would sound like Heathrow Airport in the process. For the longest time the Gentle Typhoon was THE fan every watercooler craved for and iirc they are back in production.

That's because the GPU's I want aren't out yet.

Are all mATX Ryzen motherboards already released? Can't find the ASrock AB350M Pro 4 being sold anywhere, or a release date for it if it hasn't been. There's no pricing history or out of stock indicator on pcpartpicker.

That's not the point.

>ASSrock

I need 4 140 mm fans. What are your suggestions?

It's a 7700k/1080, it's obviously going to be fine, even if you are blowing money on meme fans. They have no impact on performance over non-meme fans, they are just more expensive.

Sure, it's subjective, but when you come to Sup Forums with meme fans that don't do anything for your performance and ask for feedback, you should expect to get raked over the coals.

It's not meant to be reasonable, it's meant to be "throw money at a 6-core", hence the fucking name "Splurge Build"

Jesus fuck how do retards like you exist?

I want to play overwatch 1080p @ 144hz

is rx 470 4gb enough? I was going for 1060 6gb but it seems overkill

If so, which rx 470 should I get? XFX's 4GB is $169 fucking cheap