This weekend, I upgraded my OS from Mint "Petra" to Ubuntu "Xenial Xerus" and I have to say, this is great...

This weekend, I upgraded my OS from Mint "Petra" to Ubuntu "Xenial Xerus" and I have to say, this is great. If shit heads stopped recommending buggy, hacky distros that required hours of tweaking just to be barely usable, Linux might actually be taken seriously.

>15 minutes to install
>literally all my hardware including my graphics drivers worked right out of the gate, no third party fuckery or adding dodgy repos
>took 10 seconds to remove the Amazon spyware
>banged my head against the wall for 10 minutes because Unity was different, then figured it out and made a few adjustments
>surprise, it's better than Cinnamon, Mate, Gnome, KDE, or any of the other fucked up "kind of works" desktops

Explain to me why you guys hate this distro so much? Is it because it actually fucking works and isn't a timesink designed to give you an excuse for why you never go outside?

Pic related, he used to think... but now he thinks ....

>he chose Ubuntu over Mint
Kill yourself already.

>took 15 mins to install
your hardware is slow
>amazed that drivers are available from the get-go
welcome to modern linux
>unity was different
only as different as using any other OS, but I applaud OP for powering through
>took 10 seconds to remove Amazon spyware
the rest of us require 0 seconds. also something something "dodgy repos"...
>its better than ...
depends on what you're looking for in an interface

*sips tea

>having drivers
>having bleeding edge fast modern hardware
Pick one

Ubuntu desktop was better than any other OS ten years ago and still is. Ubuntu Server is also an amazing platform. Shuttleworth gambled like an alpha, which could have paid off big but he's smart enough to know when to fold. Ubuntu will live on.

Is Manjaro cheating then?

>TFW 1070
>Nouveau shits itsself and can't even deal
>No live cd will boot cause no nvidia drivers

My choices are basically ubuntu minimal and arch I pick arch cause it's less of a pain than minimal

I run ubuntu with i3 myself, easy setup and I can load whatever configs I need for any machine I happen to have on me

I3 is garbage not good enough to game with but overkill for office work

>Unity
>it's better than Cinnamon, Mate, Gnome, KDE

it would be a shame if something were to happen to it

Go away, Red Hat.

I switched from Xubuntu to Ubuntu MATE. Pretty comfy.

it blows my mind when I read posts like this. these are the people who post on Sup Forums.

yeah why would a community made fork that outperforms ubuntu, has a better DE, and is 100 percent compatible with ubuntu ever be suggested over the corporate backed, amazon spyware having, NSA and microsoft cooperating Ubuntu by Canonical

Do you really think ppl who browse Sup Forums really know any shit about linux or tech ? they are just bunch of fuckin weebos who jerk off anime all day long.

heh. nothing personnel, kid.

>bonita entrata

>Instead it gets Mint spyware
>poster is an idiot

He's talking about the tiling wm not the cpu.

>community made fork that outperforms ubuntu

It's ubuntu with a different DE by default

>and is 100 percent compatible with ubuntu

It IS ubuntu

>over the corporate backed, amazon spyware having, NSA and microsoft cooperating Ubuntu by Canonical

How quickly we forget how Mint was served malware ridden ISO's just early last year

Why are you so retarded?

kek

the only thing funnier than Canonical throwing away millions of dollars on a fail DE like Unity is them throwing away hundreds of dollars on jewish shills. Also, the fact that you guys are losing money for doing 99 percent of the work while Clem and company are making a... "Mint"... for just repackaging it with the best DE around, Cinnamon

Install Lubuntu 17.04 tomorrow when it'll be released

>abandoning unity
>abandoning tablets
>abandoning phones
will systemd be next?

>them throwing away hundreds of dollars on jewish shills

>Implying I use Mint/Ubuntu

Who is "you"?

I use Windows on a MacBook Pro. Fight me.

Because it's Debian with proprietary crap I don't need thrown on top of it.

And KDE 4 is as easy as Windows 7.

>wahhh factual statements! Let me just call him a shill, that'll show'em!

Insufferable

only factual statement either one of you made was the corrupted iso's, but that was their website getting hacked

calling you jewish shills was a joke, but both of you guys are spreading FUD about Mint

>cue the screenshot of the guy talking about renamed packages

>cue the 'update manager calls kernel upgrades risky and that's bad' argument

>better than Cinnamon, Mate, Gnome, KDE
kill yourself motherfucker

>better than Cinnamon
easy
>Mate
hell no

>Gnome
ayy

>KDE
you take that back

Is the renamed packages thing not an actual problem? The hacked ISO episode is understandable at least, but shady package management stuff does raise my eyebrow.

Anyone have an unbiased opinion?

it would be a problem if you wanted to install the old version of one of those programs, I've had same install of mint since 17 upgraded to 18.1 currently and have legitimately never had a problem with any updates and certainly haven't had any issue trying to install old versions of things because I generally don't go out of my way to install old versions of things

>Clem
>Mint
Enjoy your MOSSAD botnet.

My Canon film/slide scanner that wasn't detected in OSX, Arch or Mint was automatically detected on Ubuntu.

Thanks Ubuntu.

Reasons I love Ubuntu:

1. Its secure and stable and updates are pretty scheduled.
2. Its very easy to use once you get hands on
3. It comes with most things ready to use out of box
4. It has the largest community and excellent, friendly support unlike most distros
5. Don't need to RTFM everytime.

>MOSSAD

This is not the place to talk about this but I am deeply touched by what is happening over there. I feel disgust and guilt with us passively witnessing it and our money and weapons supporting it. I don’t want to use my name or this project to push my own ideas about this but I spend a lot of time working and giving away, sharing and receiving to and from a lot of people.

I’m only going to ask for one thing here. If you do not agree I kindly ask you not to use Linux Mint and not to donate money to it.

I hope for these people to be able to live decently in the future and for me not to have anything to do with the misery they’re in at the moment.

I promise not to talk about this anymore. I don’t want any money or help coming from Israel or people who support the action of their current government.

Thank you for your understanding. This is very important to me.

-Clem

you aren't redpilled if your computer isn't greenpilled. Install Mint

Ubuntu is one of the most stable Linux distributions available. Its long-term support (LTS) releases are especially stable. This makes LTS releases suitable for use on servers. CentOS and Debian are the other contenders for the title of the most stable distributions available and whom gets this title is merely a matter of opinion.

Ubuntu is designed to be beginner-friendly.

It is easier to install most pieces of proprietary software that have Linux support on Ubuntu than on many other Linux distributions. This is because of Ubuntu’s popularity. Most producers of proprietary software, only have the resources and inclination to provide one package format for Linux, as it is a minority operating system

Ubuntu has the best officially-supported and pre-installed graphical tools for system management.

Its free support is second to none. Ask Ubuntu is the best and fastest free online support resource I have ever found for an operating system. For most basic questions you can expect a solution within four hours of asking your question.

Ubuntu’s default command-line package managers, APT and dpkg, are amongst the fastest package managers available for Linux.

>Explain to me why you guys hate this distro so much?

Sup Forums = edgy teenagers and mentally unstanle animu retards

Unity = god tier Linux DE

Ubuntu = god tier Linux

Because it's actual botnet.

Chrome is also the best browser. Doesn't mean shit.

Ive been using i5 OC for office work at home and sum "office" i3 at work work. Shits so different I would never settle up with i3 anymore. even g3258 OC'd runs better.

is that the current release version of unity? if so i might try it. what i hated most about unity were the ugly glare effects behind the dock icons and the oversized hud, this looks nice

Ubuntu was god tier durring the days when gnome 2 reigned.

adopting pulseaudio and ext4 too early says otherwise

>now that unity is dead I'm gonna pretend I love it
oh it's one of those guys

Ok now stop pls. Mint is unsecure and outdated. It was developed by NSA/Mossad. It got shilled everywhere and then yall retards downloaded the virusses from their official repos. Hahaha. A shill calling other shills. Where have we seen that before?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Fuckoff ganoo

I've been saying this for fucking years now

All the shit the Sup Forums recommends is just buggy hacky shit based off of real distros. The real distros are:

>Ubuntu
>Debian
>Fedora
>Arch

I'd put Gentoo on the list too, because it's an original distro that actually works well if you know what you're doing, but there's so much time involved in getting it working that I won't bother. I'd also put Slackware, but no one actually uses that anymore.

Literally every other distro that Sup Forums recommends is shit that's based off of one of the above distros. And 9 times out of 10, it looks nice and you post about how comfy it is, but then after about a week the cracks start to show and you're shitposting about how Linux is garbage because you installed a half-finished meme distro from lazy devs.

All of them are disgusting bloat. Install Alpine.

>Arch is bloat
this is bait right?

>Alpine

Are you fucking memeing me right now because this looks like another fucking meme

Linux is not POSIX certified

Arch has a lot of gnu bloat. also 500 mbytes wtf? and systemd? alpine is 30mbytes. it uses just 40 mbytes of ram for a graphical environment with a terminal emulator, dock, icons, windows and more.
alpine is not a meme

Nah fuck Unity

It's Unity 8, they are shipping it as an experimental Option, but they will stop supporting it with the 18.04 Release

kinda ridiculous that they're discontinuing it right when it starts to look finished

wish they'd drop mobile, tablet and mir but keep up the launcher instead

gnome 3 is cancer