Why do people always have to be on their phones like cattle...

Why do people always have to be on their phones like cattle? Especially when they're all hunched over with the way they're looking down. It can't be comfortable or good for their neck and spine.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbsnews.com/news/brain-hacking-tech-insiders-60-minutes/
youtube.com/watch?v=5gGDIxeKgdU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thats why I hold my phone up high. I look like a stalker, but any girl who accosts me wouldn't sleep with me anyway so Im looking out for my own neck.

Whoa man you're so right like wake up sheeple!
We gotta just live life without phones in nature
--sent from my iPhone--

Because it a fucking computer on your pocket and since normies aren't used to such wonders they're hypnotized by them

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's not what I said at all, user.

Cattle that uses phones? Those must be some smart cows

Because they need validation from people they barely know on social media. They know that their lives are otherwise meaningless and so they turn to the internet for artificial interaction. It's human contact without the possibility of any kind of physical harm, completely devoid of any personal commitment. It's one giant hugbox for normies. This is why I never use mainstream social media, only a few image boards an IRC channels.

>you have to be smart to use phones
Retard detected.

Cellphone is a collar for goyim.

Creepy waifu src

Who are you quoting?

WHOOO HOOOO NIGGER CATTLE NIGGER CATTLE

MILLENIALS BTFO

No one.

humans who aren't constantly connected to interfaces aren't learning and thus will fall behind

thale

That's funny considering how most people these days lack critical thinking skills and are so disconnected from reality that we now have things like 3rd wave feminism and Donald Trump in office. I think you're wrong.

do you have more rare green anons?

Sorry user, those are from a land before time. We're obligated not to share those.

Sure.

Fuck you, nigger.

neat

Save them my friend. They're all yours.

thanks user

Smart phones are really useful...essential, even. At this point in history, the question you are asking is as silly as "why do people drive automobiles." Technology is a distinctly human thing. We love technology and are inseparable from it.

>this means nothing to newfigs
Fuck I'm old

>Donald Trump in office.
Shut it Shillary voter

>posts on the smartphone section of an anime website all day
>heh... those others normies are just sheeple...!

No problem.

I got here in 08. It was all fun and games until we were on the news for the racist pool signs.

That doesn't seem creepy, you just need to hold your phone so its clear that your hand is over the camera.

I was gonna call you a newfag until I realized that 2008 was 9 fucking years ago. I've wasted my whole life browsing this autism fest

wow... really made me think

Because the outside world fucking sucks. A phone is a means of taking attention away from your shitty surroundings and placing it somewhere interesting.

I still feel like I'm living in 2010. Tech hasn't changed that much. Makes me a little sad.

Literally kill yourself.

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

Anyone want more of these?

Apparently for a lot of people that IS thier entire window to the internet.

Only grandpa's have desktops, and that's only because they haven't thrown it out yet. If you have a laptop you are student, nobody else has a computer anymore.

This would explain why conversation has devolved too now that I think about it. Can't really articulate your thoughts in any depth on a touchscreen between shits.

I do, thank you based oldfag.

They're literally addicted to the dopamine rushes. Same with all addictions really.

cbsnews.com/news/brain-hacking-tech-insiders-60-minutes/

>The computer code he creates finds the best moment to give you one of those rewards, which have no actual value, but Brown says trigger your brain to make you want more. For example, on Instagram, he told us sometimes those likes come in a sudden rush.

>Ramsay Brown: They’re holding some of them back for you to let you know later in a big burst. Like, hey, here’s the 30 likes we didn’t mention from a little while ago. Why that moment--

>Anderson Cooper: So all of a sudden you get a big burst of likes?

>Ramsay Brown: Yeah, but why that moment? There’s some algorithm somewhere that predicted, hey, for this user right now who is experimental subject 79B3 in experiment 231, we think we can see an improvement in his behavior if you give it to him in this burst instead of that burst.

>When Brown says “experiments,” he’s talking generally about the millions of computer calculations being used every moment by his company and others use to constantly tweak your online experience and make you come back for more.

I've never seen a cow use a phone op, what the fuck are you talking about

Are you me? I need to quit this shitty place, and never look back, but every time I leave I find myself coming back!

You may also like: youtube.com/watch?v=5gGDIxeKgdU

You can't leave. Did you forget that you're here forever?

Man, I know I'm romanticizing the past, but 2008-2010 Sup Forums was the bomb, there was maybe 15% of the amount of people back then and memes were only on the internet, now they're in commercials and on the news.

Or maybe I just grew up, who knows.

You definitely grew up and you started wearing nostalgia goggles: even back in the day our memes constantly ended up being mainstream, and the userbase wasn't much better. Sup Forums was never good, after all.

It was boards like Sup Forums that were good. They weren't full of idiot gamer kids and macfags like we have now.

In all honesty, you haven't grown up if you still browse this site.

Sup Forums back then was actually random. There are no more gentlemen, caturday, or other fun threads. It's all pics you shouldn't share and men dressed as women. It's like they don't know that hardcore and adult gif exist. They're even using discord now because newfags are too dumb for IRC.

Idk, I agree with in that Sup Forums had real content and even /r9k/ was great for stories and things, now it's just depressing.

>In all honesty, you haven't grown up if you still browse this site.
Got me there, this is the first time in many months I've been on for more than 10 minutes though

I miss moot. He was such a fruity little cunt but at least he interacted with users on all boards pretty much. Now chink moot is isolated from his people. This site is sad, really. The internet just isn't fun anymore since corporatism and normies carved it up and ruined it. At least I can still grow a beard and work on Kolibri OS using ASM wizardry.
>you realize that nothing will be as comfy as it was ever again

What else am I supposed to do online? Forums are dead and I don't really use social media.

Stop using the internet outside of peer to peer file sharing and looking up useful information. Social media at all is a waste of time. This is a waste of time.

I'm glad he left when he did, for his sake. It seemed to really stress him out and all the election drama would've been a lot.

Try forums on private trackers, it's a moderated community and people are generally mature and civil

>tfw there is nowhere for us to go anymore on the Internet
I feel you

B B S
B
S

Come home white man.

In all serious though the web itself is gone. This isn't a case of outgrowing it, it's just exceptionally lousy and the bar is falling ever lower in what passes for discourse. I think I noticed this first when news articles started getting very short paragraphs and I realized that they were writing a news report like it was a tweet. Add into this the sheer speed at which it functions and you have a recipe for wasting huge amounts of time on absolutely nothing, but so many little nothings that you barely even notice the time go.

I would've loved to see it. Do you think he still visits us?

BBS might actually make a comeback. We need something that scares off the Chads and Stacys so that they don't shit it up.

Facebook and Google (not their companies specifically but rather the effect they had) are the worst things that happened to the internet, add into that how most fandoms congregate around tumblr tags rather than sites and how wikis erased all fan speculation and lore diving. I have a shit load of writings of people from the late 90s arguing over FF7 (among lots of others, literally an entire stack of CDs of text files I've collected that don't appear online anywhere form what I can tell) and it occurs to me how what they're arguing about could all be solved by a single wiki page.

I think that's the real reason people say that the web just isn't the same now. It has nothing to do with nostalgia or changing tastes, but a few platforms that got so gigantic that they are the ones that dictate the taste.

This isn't even mentioning the tremendous amount of bloat and cruft online.

That most of them purposely limit themselves to 9600 baud (about 1KB/s, which is less of an issue in pure text) would keep away those who are made impatient by the web that is coming about through apps highlighted by

God I hate cloud shit so much. Not only does it take away your privacy and control, it also forces you to be constantly connected and force fed all kinds of garbage. This is why I store my data locally. Cloud storage and computing is cancer.

I just want to go back to how it was.

BBSs have a lot of features necessitated by their time that are actually really cool and helpful today. One really cool one is that you can log-on, download all your messages in QWK format and then read them all off-line.

Yeah I've actually used BBS' before but I never made an account I posted with. (There were a few times I'd post in the guestbook but desu there's nothing really interesting to talk about there.) Almost all of the time I login as guest.

I only started using the internet around late 2004 when I was a kid, so I don't remember using the BBS too much. I just want the internet to be simple and not a giant mess like it is now.

It's not safe either. Saw one guy walk across the street against a red light while staring on his phone. When he noticed the car and then the stop light, he barely reacted and continued walking as if everything's ago.

I got onto the web back in ... I think 2002. I'm just experimenting with them now because I'm getting sick of how fat and heavy the web is getting. They actually have a lot of pretty cool features.

And I agree about the web getting too complex. I just feel like so many resources and so much manpower is going into problems we never used to have that were made by just not leaving shit alone.

Same guy. You know what, I think I will make an account on my most-used BBS. I just needed this thread as inspiration.

Technology has long since stopped being a benefit for anyone partaking in it. Not saying this as a neo-luddite or a "back in my day..." because what I'm talking about is well before "my day", but the amount of money and time spent on an endless march and trying to deal with the consequences of this endless march (some data centers are the size of foundries and chemical processing plants for crying out loud) just can't keep going on like this. There's got to be a point where it all gets too much, surely?

>some data centers are the size of foundries and chemical processing plants for crying out loud
Why is this really a bad thing? And it's going to be even less of a problem now that amazon and azure exist. People don't have to maintain their own server farm, just let amazon do it. Data centers have been huge for years.

Even being a leftist, uber obviously makes users' lives easier, hence it's a benefit. I'm not really sure what you mean or if you're just trying to be contrarian.

You're not looking at the big picture.

09 here

Started out browsing Sup Forums /k/ Sup Forums now I don't touch Sup Forums rarely look at /k/ and find myself on Sup Forums Sup Forums and /ck/ now.

1. Environmental costs of such large complexes
2. Environmental costs of powering such large complexes (the Internet and associated technologies accounts for between 15 and 25% of the world's resources)
3. Why are they so trustworthy to have all that data?
4. While they don't have to manage their own farm, the farms still exist.
5. More effort is put into preserving this data than actual paper historical archives
6. Digital is inherently a temporary medium, making its longevity dubious
7. Putting them in control of the data and the data stream makes them the gatekeepers of the data and data stream

etc. etc.

I'm also pretty young in internet years. Didn't get a computer until the middle of 2001 because "y2k is going to kill them all anyway why waste the money".

I just miss websites standing alone I guess. Now everything has ads that follow you across pages and everything wants to synch to your dropbox and your facebook or whatever. Sure we had ads back in they day but they were honestly less intrusive. You might have a pop up, a banner or two, but it was nothing like this bloated mess of shit.

Aside from that, and I guess it was inevitable, "The Internet™" and real life and now intertwined. I don't like it. Obviously I had a professional and personal email before this, but that was it. Don't ever give your out real name online? Anyone remember that shit?

I was applying for a job last year (back on my feet now so its not an issue) and they asked me to provide my "social media profiles" and left 3 spaces. One for Facebook, one for Twitter, and one for Other. I left them blank of course, but how is this acceptable?

>but how is this acceptable

It's so they can check up on you. It's total bullshit. This is what I meant when I said that technology has stopped being a benefit comparable to the work being put into it along with the intrusion into our lives. Imagine at any time in history before computers being told to bring, to an interview, your family photo album, diary, and address book. No one would stand for that shit.

>Technology has long since stopped being a benefit for anyone partaking in it.

There's actually a real issue now with children not learning to speak properly because they're watching television rather than hearing adults speak and mimicking them. Not to mention all the other motor and social skills that are being stunted by involvement in technology like tablets and smart phones.

So what's the answer for this? Clearly we need technology to teach kids how to do what they used to do just fine for millions of generations.

Just fucking trash it all and start again.

Not to mention that because of user interfaces being made overly simplified for the illiterate, their brain doesn't need to evolve, connect new synapses and develop in general, a simple fucking browser or OS change freaks them out.

I got disgusted when I bought my first iPhone because I didn't need to learn anything. I set everything up correctly despite it was my first time with an iOS device.

Neil Postman was talking in the 80s about the difference in retaining information when reading a broadsheet newspaper and watching a news report.

Oh c'mon kids having been addicted to tv for decades.

Nope, last I spoke with him he said he doesn't go to Sup Forums properly anymore. this was a couple years ago though so maybe things have changed but I doubt it.

The best option I've seen to make that happen is something like IPFS. It's just slow/unwieldy to btfo normies.

IPFS? You mean NNTP 2.0?

The best option I've seen to make that happen is something like IPFS. It's just slow/unwieldy enough to btfo normies.

Another big issue is that algorithms are sorting things. Instead of digging through a forum thread to find things, you just go to the top of the reddit/stack overflow comments.

The difference is the age and the time. It used to be that children didn't start watching hours of screens until a few years old, now it's down to a few months.

The algorithms aren't all they're cracked up to be. Besides, they're only needed because of the fractured mess that the web is.

Seriously, how did this piece of trash protocol and markup system get so popular?

Nobody under the age of 35 watches fucking TV, gramps.

So why are there children's channels?

I like how we're at the point now where people can't actually argue against the effects of these technologies, and so just argue in defense of them.

There were other options for republican candidates than Trump.

Faith restored

tfw to intelligent

I've been going through this conundrum for a few years now

Interesting interview.
Thank you.