/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for single threaded. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5/7
>R7 for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>RX500 comes April 18th. Vega in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JypkqwpOtNI
pcpartpicker.com/list/GB2zRG
youtu.be/NdCI9xNd0Fc
pcpartpicker.com/list/jswCkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/kg2zRG
hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/RTXh8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Ryzen 5 is good

youtube.com/watch?v=JypkqwpOtNI

>twice the CPU utilization
>+/- 10% the framerates
And that's stock clocks on the 1600.
There really is actually no point in getting the 4c/4t. Especially when the 1600 is $180 at Jet.

Is it viable to have a non-metal chassis or does the psu need to bond to a metal frame?

where do I buy power9 processors?
are they available yet? need to up my HPC soon

>16mb of cache
this thing is insane

lmao what?
Of course non-metal is fine. Grounds go through the wires, not the chassis.

call IBM

>Is it viable to have a non-metal chassis or does the psu need to bond to a metal frame?
The PSU will work fine in any case or without a case for that matter. I wouldn't put it in a case made of wood if you leave your computer on unattended, though. Metal doesn't.. burn.

>jet only ships to US
>Have to pay 245€ for a chip US residents can have for 190$

Some motherboards use the IO plate to ground ports into the chassis. Also the grounded metal frame helps discharging static electricity from your hands. But yeah, it's not mandatory since most components use the wires for grounding.

1600 or 1600x? I'm mostly waiting for the x300 boards to drop since i'd like to go ITX, but i am concerned that most coolers for slim tower style ITX systems won't handle any overclocks well.

To be fair, it should be listed as 2x8MB.
Still significant, if utilized properly. Still better than 1 6MB.

american
micro
devices

Ehh the 1600 is the way better value, especially if you can get it on sale when the 1600X aren't discounted anywhere.
But I'm sill going for the 1600X myself. Kinda waiting if I can get it on sale too since, same, motherboards I'd like aren't available anyway. Got all my other stuff.

R5 1600 vs used 4790k for the same price? I happen to have a decent Z97 motherboard with g3258 and want to upgrade or replace it.

Anyone has the Ryzen motherboard tier list that was posted a few days ago? Not the brand list but one that compared power channels etc.
Other than moar ports is there any benefit from X370 chipset with R5 1600 or would B350 be enough?

Also can I put laptop wifi in m.2 port?

Do you mean same TOTAL system cost? Obviously 1600. It has newer features like USB 3.1, much lower input latency, lower power consumption, better upgradability with a socket that's being supported for 4+ years, and so on.

But since you have the motherboard, (fast?) ddr3, unlocked motherboard, I'd just get the 4790k I think.

>Other than moar ports is there any benefit from X370 chipset with R5 1600 or would B350 be enough
It's like 24 vs 22 pcie lanes on the X370 vs B350. It seems like more X370 boards have 2 full speed x4 m.2 lanes which is a big deal for professionals.
B350 is enough for 99.99% of people. Many of them have good VRMs and overclock well.

static was my concern

I have a solution for heat :)

Any brands I should be wary of for the GPU or is it safe to just sort by price?

>this product is out of stock
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey guys, I'm at a loss here. I was playing a game when the system crashed, the screen filled with artifacts, the usual repeating sound played like before BSOD, but there was no BSOD. I booted into safe mode suspecting driver failure, but noticed that there were visual artifacts everywhere. I sweeped my drivers and reinstalled, but windows won't boot into normal mode anymore. It just displays a blank black screen after the "starting windows" screen has disappeared. What makes this worse is that I can't run diagnostics like Memtest for my GPU from safe mode.

Did my GPU fail or could it be something else like faulty PCI-e or PSU?

Friend wants to build a PC pretty low - medium budget

He's obsessed with Heroes of the Storm though.

As stupid as it sounds, whats a good card to run that on ultra and then maybe some other better games on medium to high at least?

I'm just getting him 8Gb of RAM, 650W PSU gold cert, 2TB HDD and an SDD and some basic standard mobo so far.

Never used Jet before. It says 15% off first three orders, is there a wait time between orders?

oh an the cpu is i5-7500 if that's worth mentioning

Screen artifacts even on safe mode -> fried GPU 99% of the times. I'd try to swap in any disposable old GPU to make sure.

G4560 + 1050ti, you don't need any more to play HOTS.

Drop the PSU to 550W, we're no longer in the 220W+ CPU and housefire GPU era.

Also, the i5 line is kill, get him an R5 1500X. Couple it with a Radeon 470 or 480 8GB depending on how much you can stretch your budget and you have a winner system.

Okay, thanks. That's what I suspected, but didn't want to necessarily admit it to myself. If I simply remove the card and see if onboard GPU on the mobo works, would that be a confirmation too?

I'm pretty sure even an RX460 or 1050 will run HotS on ultra, but I'd recommend neither.

Did you bother googling "heroes of the storm benchmarks" to find the appropriate GPU?
Just get a 1500X or 1600 and RX470 if his budget allows. If not, a 1050 or 460 whichever is cheaper they're the same thing.
Those sorts of games are so low requirements.

the iGPU on the g4560 alone should be good for HotS. Not maxed, but still.
Don't recommend 1050Ti for non-ITX builds. The performance/$ on it is awful.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GB2zRG

This is overkill for HOTS but it'll serve him for other games too. Anything lower than an RX 470 don't bother. Just get the G4600 for the better integrated graphics and use that instead.

Yep, make sure to activate it again in the BIOS and connect your monitor directly to the mobo.

Will that CPU be enough for when he wants to branch out into bigger games like Skyrim or Witcher?

Also PSU is something I don't like to skimp out on. Plus the one I'm looking at on PCpicker is fully modular so thats a bonus.

get DDR4 2400 and a seasonic PSU.

The cheapshit Corsairs PSUs are garbage now days since they changed manufacturers.
That's the shit these jews pull. They make a new PSU model with Seasonic making them, get good reviews on them, then change manufacturers to rip people off.

>Will that CPU be enough for when he wants to branch out into bigger games like Skyrim or Witcher?
No. Get a 1500X or 1600 minimum there.

But if all you play is Dota2, LoL, HotS, CSGO, and shit like that, a G4560 is fine. Those games are highly optimized for potato PCs. Skyrim too since it's so old.
Witcher 3, especially with mods, will take a huge dump on the G4560.

youtu.be/NdCI9xNd0Fc

It'll be fine.

Also you can get a lower wattage power supply and still get one that's modular. What we're saying is that PCs don't require as much power now. Get a high quality 450w power supply and save the money, high wattage PSUs are a jew trick these days.

1400 is worth getting if you can find those sales where they're $20 off, so $150.
Otherwise, the extra $20 for the 1500X is well worth it.

People are hitting 3200mhz memory on the 1500X way easier than the 1400. Twice the cache. Better overclocks. Way better stock clocks.

scraping the barrel to get good parts
>6700,480,256ssd $932
pcpartpicker.com/list/jswCkT
z mobo for coffee lake k later on.
>R5 1600, 580, 512/2tb $996 or less
pcpartpicker.com/list/kg2zRG

>z mobo for coffee lake k later on.
Coffee lake is most likely coming on a new socket. If you want a future-proof mobo go for the AMD build

Any recommendation for a middle of the pack card?

>dropping below 60fps
>ever
Depends on your standards.
Yeah the value combination of the g4560+rx470 is massive if you can tolerate dropping below 60fps at times.

The twice as large SSD is going to be way longer in the long run.
You'll likely keep your SSD for 10 years unless it fails. You won't keep your CPU that long.

It seems likely that zen2 or zen3 will have something like a 10% IPC increase and 10% higher clock speeds which will be easier to upgrade than the hassle of upgrading SSD.
And while the 1600 is going to be lower FPS on average, it'll have more CPU to spare.

I also wouldn't recommend the locked 6700 over the 7700 if you do go that route because you can't change the stock clocks and the 7700 stock clocks are so, so much better.
Good builds, besides that one detail.

RX470 4GB or RX480 8GB. Don't bother with the 480 with only 4GB or the 1060, mid-range nvidia ages like milk.

Most games now have negligible differences between medium-high-ultra so I don't mind dropping settings to maintain 60fps+ especially with retarded shit like tessellation where they make some signpost incredibly complex when it doesn't need to be. But that's just me.

Witcher is a prime example of lower settings having very little difference to ultra although modded Witcher is a different story.

Okay, I think I'll pick up RX 480 today since the store near me has that on stock. Thanks mate

While I would normally agree that mid-range Nvidia ages like milk. Like from the 560, 660, 760, 960, they're all pretty garbage after just a year, it does look like the 1060 is going to age better than usual.
Still, the RX470 and RX480 are better buys without any argument most of the time. The one argument is if someone only plays a handful of games that are massively Nvidia favored with a 144hz monitor.

>Most games now have negligible differences between medium-high-ultra so I don't mind dropping settings to maintain 60fps+
I agree, except lowering settings rarely affects CPU usage. It affects GPU usage mainly.
The G4560 will still drop under 60fps on low settings with a 1080Ti in many of those games there.

i need a bedside laptop under $600 for netflix/reading the news when i wake up. can somebody recommend something? would be great if it doesn't get hot as fuck when it's on your lap.

Ryzen time, bitches!
Just don't know whether to buy 1600 or 1600X and which mobo.
I want to keep this PC at least 5+ years before the next big upgrade, so long term reliability and some OC potential is mandatory.
Unfortunately B350 boards have generally not so good VRM, but 24/7 stable 3.8 or 3.9 should be doable while maintaining reasonable temps.
FYI the VRM data i found: hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
The other thing important to me beside decent VRM and long term reliability is sound, my old PC doesn't have the best and my laptop has static, fuck this.

So.. i was looking at the Asus Prime B350-Plus which has good VRM and Asus is generally a good mobo brand, but sound on it sucks ass;
the MSI Tomahawk, imho MSI is a sketchy brand, but sound is good, VRM shouldn't be an issue and the POST/boot problems seem to be fixed;
the Gigabyte (((GAMING))) 3, which has the best sound in class, decent VRM but idk about Gigabyte anymore in 2017, seems they care more about muh gaymen snakeoil and LEDs than actual quality;
and last but not least the ASRock Pro4 (or whatever it's called), looks decent but other options seem more appealing.

Which one would you choose? Also, would you get the 1600 or the 1600X?

Wait for Raven Ridge, man. Those are going to be godly for laptops.

The reason Ryzen is slightly disappointing for desktops is because they chose to stick with one manufacturing process that's ideal for servers and laptops. Extremely good performance/watt but at bit lower clock speeds.
It's clearly going to be a huge leap forward in laptop performance and battery life. But they aren't coming until Q3 or Q4.

Thanks for the tips My gut said wait for the 580 benches and get a 1600+ I want a stick of gum drive.
I'm not a high refresh guy anyways.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RTXh8K

For shits I knocked the i7 down to the lowest acceptable spec, some decent prices. Ram was the cheapest.

Ask thinkpad general.

I don't think anyone would regret either getting the 1600 or 1600X.

The 1600 is significantly cheaper. The 1600X is still cheap, but will overclock (or underclock at lower voltages) like 3-7% better.
Just flip a coin if you have to. idk.

>hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html
Nice link. But seems inaccurate? I keep hearing the Taichi has 16 phase VRMs and the Prime is 10. This certainly doesn't match up.

>so long term reliability and some OC potential is mandatory.
No Ryzen OC amazingly. But they're cheap to overclock. The big benefit is just the platform, AM4, that'll make upgrading easier than needing a new motherboard after 2 years like with Intel.

The 7nm Ryzen on IBM's process are expected to hit at least 10% higher clock speeds which is a bigger deal than any OC you can attempt.

>but sound on it sucks ass;
Get a USB DAC. Onboard can never compare. Too much noise in a case.

> ASRock Pro4
I'm probably getting the mATX version of this if it's ever in stock. I like how the x1 PCI is above the GPU so you can actually use them together with a 2 or 3 slot card. And ASRock seems to be so solid now days.
I'd prefer the ASRock Extreme 4 if they ever make it for Ryzen soon enough, though...

The 6700 is so gimped by all that other shit, then.
For Intel value, best to go cheap $90 Z270 + 3000-3200 RAM + locked 7700. I don't think that cooler is much better than stock if at all.

This is PC build general, not normie Facebook machine general.

Future proofing isn't real mongoloid

Will locked i7-7700 be better for gaming at 1080p@144Hz than R5-1600 if I want to buy gtx1070?

By the way here's a reference picture of the artifacts when viewing a film. The system works when there's no drivers installed.

will the modular 520W Seasonic PSU be enough for a R5 1600/RX 480 build? pcpartpicker says the consumption should be ~312W

>What is getting a mid-range CPU now and pop in whatever high end stuff releases in 2019-2020 when the socket is still relevant
>What is having to throw absolutely everything to the garbage bin when you want to upgrade in 2-3 years because you bought into a dead platform.

I have 4170 & 285. Would i benefit more from cpu or gpu upgrade?

Oh wow it didn't reproduce the artifacts from a print screen. Just imagine that there's red and green coloured lines going across the horizontal axis of the pic.

Should be okay for stock settings. Consider 650w for overclocking.

I'm sure it is, 3770k and 390 on a SS 550

a chromebook wouldnt be too bad

Is a FX-8350 good for a budget CPU?

Get a R5 1400 or wait for the R3 line. Maybe the Bentium if you're on a poorfag-tier budget.

Maybe if you can get it for $70? The multi-threaded performance is still pretty decent. But Ryzen has made Bulldozer almost completely pointless. AM3+ is pretty much nearing its "end of life." No reason buying an AM3+ mobo at this point.

>The 1600 is significantly cheaper. The 1600X is still cheap, but will overclock (or underclock at lower voltages) like 3-7% better.
Did you already count in the probably better silicon lottery ticket you buy with the X version?
I think i get the X version for better lottery ticket and i'll probably go with an aftermarket cooler anyways since it tends to get oven hot in summer here.

>I keep hearing the Taichi has 16 phase VRMs and the Prime is 10. This certainly doesn't match up.
Yes, seems to be off on the ASRock mobos, they use a different layout, as always, but the rest seems fairly accurate, at least from what i know.

>No Ryzen OC amazingly. But they're cheap to overclock. The big benefit is just the platform, AM4, that'll make upgrading easier than needing a new motherboard after 2 years like with Intel.
>The 7nm Ryzen on IBM's process are expected to hit at least 10% higher clock speeds which is a bigger deal than any OC you can attempt.
I know Ryzen hits a brick wall at 4.1GHz unless you want to go LN2 for your 5 minute fame time. My target is stable 24/7 3.8 or 3.9 as i said, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Say i get the MSI Tomahawk, pair it with Trident Z b-die and a Thermalright TRUE 140 or Noctua NH-U14S, imho i should be able to achieve my 3.9 with 3200 memory.
About the 7nm Ryzen, when is it expected? After 2020 on the next platform, or still on AM4?

>Get a USB DAC. Onboard can never compare. Too much noise in a case.
Don't feel like spending 200 bucks for an O2, i can live with "just good" sound, it doesn't have to be perfect, it's just that my current onboard isn't that good.

Need advice on a cheap psu, I can get a CX 450-M or Integra M 550w for the same price.
Which one is better?

msi b350 tomahawk, r7 1700 + thermalright macho rev. b owner here

I bought a-data xpg z1 16gb (2x8) rated at 3000mhz and overclocked it to 3200mhz, stable

Nice, i'm looking at a similar setup.
I also looked into the Macho Rev. B, but seemingly it gets beaten by the TRUE 140 in most tests???? Kinda confusing since its much bigger and doesn't lack heatpipes.
For RAM, i'll probably get Corsair LPX or G.Skill Ripjaws V or Trident Z, hopefully i get a Samsung b-die kit for not stupid prices, i 100% want to reach 3000/3200 on RAM.
What are your idle and load temps btw?

idle is around 30-35c, load (cinebench) just barely reaches 60c, never gets to 65c+

keep in mind the cpu is at 3.9ghz @ 1.325v

Both are pretty similar in mediocrity. Between these, go for the one with the higher wattage. At least they aren't no-name psus.

Temps are reasonable for 3.9GHz @1.325V. Man... eastern comes one week early, there's no way they'll ship it until thursday evening unless i pay good goy taxes. Really looking forward to upgrade my 7 year old Nehalem.

cool

I also managed to oc it to 3.8ghz @ 1.3 with the stock cooler, never went above 85c under load

>Between these, go for the one with the higher wattage
Alright. Thanks!

Budget: $4-600
Purpose: I'm looking to upgrade my PC, primarily the PSU, fan, SSD and GPU. Possibly the CPU.
Specs: x2 GTX 760 in SLI, Corsair Builder Series ATX/EPS 80 PLUS CX600, Intel i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz, 465GB Samsung SSD 840 Series ATA Device. I don't remember what my fan is.

What should I get? I don't know at what point would I be better off replacing my two graphic cards with a single higher-end one.

>never went above 85c under load
That's way to hot for me. I want a silent case that probably will increase temps by a few degrees anyways, i live under the roof (= feels like oven) and therefore need some custom cooler.
But honestly, that's a good result for a stock cooler, Intels stock cooler would have melted.

>replacing my two graphic cards with a single higher-end one.
Yep, that's your highest priority. Everything else can hold for a while longer.

yeah, it was hot, but it definitely held it's ground, which can't be said about intel stock coolers

replace gpus, oc 4670, I wouldn't have switched to the r7 1700 from my 4670 if I hadn't gotten jewed by the non-K (no overclocking) variant

Not sure if anyone from the old post is still here... But I did some research/lurking and made some changes to my first plan.

I'm building a casual gaming unit so I dont need insane specs, but I do want to experiment with overclocking etc. I think I'm happy with everything but the motherboard, I'm not really sure what to go with or even if what I've picked is compatible (pc-specs.com wont tell me what r5 is compatible with). I picked the RX460 over a 1060, mostly because its 100 bucks cheaper and seems to better in general.

SSD is coming later, as is optical drive. Building in Australia, would like to keep the price around where it is now if not cheaper.

Thoughts?

make sure your memory is on the motherboard supported list

wait what the fuck, why do you have a Z270 motherboard for an AMD cpu?

Z270 is for intel CPUs

Ok, let's go one by one
- You don't need 750W, scale down to 500-550W
- Get at least an RX 470
- Consider an SSD for the OS
- Look for a motherboard with B350 chipset, those are the ones compatible with Ryzen.
- lurk moar

>140 dollar 750 PSU.

You need 550W at most, and you can spend a lot less. Your RAM is overpriced too.

RX 460 is trash, get an RX 470 instead which is twice as fast for only a few bucks more.

THAT MOTHERBOARD DOESN'T EVEN GO WITH AMD CPU'S LMAO.

If this isn't a troll post, get a prebuilt system, you have absolutely ZERO idea of what you're doing.

was going z270 with original build. Knew I needed to change it, I just dont know what to haha..
Thankyou (always lurk moar)

I'm looking at something like this for 1080/60 but I would like to upgrade beyond that in about a year.
pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
I'm not sure about the mobo and the power supply.

I have a mATX gigabyte gaming-3. There should be no problem with having a gpu and a pie card, right? They design them so all ports are usable?

You're right, I am totally new to this. Just trying to learn and it's working.

i5 7600k & GTX 1060 6gb, purpose: vidya.

Obviously not. You just threw some random parts together in hope they'd work, which they cleaely don't.
Either you fuck off and do some research on this topic or pay the good goy taxes for a prebuilt.
This general is not your personal tech support and you should not expect anyone here to spoon feed you if you lack any interest in the topic whatsoever.

>i5 5% better in games
>r5 ~35% better in everything else
>1060 will bottleneck anyways
>b-but muh games!

I wouldn't care about you screwing yourself over, if it wasn't for you screwing everyone over by supporting a monopoly.

>gets one component wrong
>is throwing spaghetti on the wall
ok

Read the OP cuck

Sup Forums I need help trying to figure this out.

If I am a retarded gayming cuckshitter and absolutely want 144hz gayming, are there any alternatives to 7700k ?

I fucking hate intel, but I want to feel that 144hz gayming mayne...

Lads i'm upgrading my rig(pic related). I already bought rx 480(i had r9 280x). Thinking about buying r5 1600. So question is what should i buy for motherboard? Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3, ASRock AB350 Pro4 or Tomahawk? Also can you suggest compatible 3000 or 3200Mhz ram? And can my current Zalman ZM600-LE Psu handle overclocked gpu and cpu?

The point of 144Hz is not topping that framerate, it's usually to pair your build with a Free/G-Sync monitor and try not to have your minimum framerate in the shitter or all over the place for which Ryzen is as good as intel, if not better in some titles.

Read the rest of the thread.

It was resolved and already discussed.

so ryzen 1700 OC + freesync monitor for that sweet butter smoothness ?

What's XMP and what does it do? Do I need to enable it for gaming?

It would be a good option, yes. I'm building my new Ryzen exactly for that scenario this afternoon and will report results later. My 3570K was not a very good overclocker (anything above 4.2 isn't stable without crazy voltages and temps) and honestly already felt like a stuttery mess when trying to push more intensive games beyond 80-90 FPS. The average framerate was there but the smoothness was not, and the fact that I use discord and other garbage in the background was discouraging me to "upgrade" to 4c/8t on intel for a premium price.

didn't know if this belonged in the stupid questions general or not, but do I have to/is it recommended to get 2x8 with RAM if I'm looking at an 8gb GPU, or does it not matter?
budget is currently a concern so I was thinking of getting 2x4 since the most strenuous activities for the machine will just be gaymen and I only really need 8, but I've been told dual channel is better for performance and I'll probably wind up buying one 8gb stick and another later if the answer to my question above is yes

What ryzen mobo should i pick up? what brand?

word around the Sup Forumsuild says that asus is trash, asrock is okay, and MSI boards catch fire.

what about gigabyte? Biostar? help