/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fiFRcUAtODc
behavioraleconomics.com/mini-encyclopedia-of-be/sunk-cost-fallacy/
rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=19245
fhs.swiss/eng/swissmade.html
hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for PHISTING

Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=fiFRcUAtODc

FUCK ARCHIE LUXURY

HE'S A LOSER POORFAG WATCHED BY OTHER LOSER POORFAGS

Post your watch collection.

torille

Is $400 too much for a minty seiko 5740?

If it's the one pictured, then yes. That one is not minty ENOUGH to be worth $400. If it's a linen dialed 5740C and even the hands are in great shape, then yes, $400 is reasonable, but it has to be in A++ condition.

Here's my $298 Explorer rep. Even the most experienced Rolex fans can't find a flaw.

epic trolling

Nah, it's not the one in that pic. But it is a linen dial 5740C. Pics are small because >yahoo auctions but it seems in pretty good shape.

I've seen these before, I bet it has almost no lume.

Lume is bright

>Lume is bright

>Even the most experienced Rolex fans can't find a flaw.

>Open case
>Not a Rolex movement

>open case

Do you let everyone you meet in the street do that? How about opening your laptop or phone while you're at it?

alternatively
>look at seconds hand
>look at seconds hand 24h later

>Look at second hand
>6 beats per second not 8

Good luck getting that shit serviced if it ever breaks.
Should have bought a Seiko.

Yeah. Right after you get into watches, Patek seems to be the gold standard. But just a few months in, you start looking down on them.

>buying reps
>ever
why?

This, also:
>wind crown
>that nasty, raspy Miyota/ETA feel when not having a proper click and/or having a shitty ratchet wheel with tiny teeth

Continuing from What's the opinion on the poljot 3133 movement? I want a Strela and the movement seems to have a lot of history (movement used by cosmonaut watches).

But I look at it inside cases and there just seems to be a lot of wasted space because it's not so flat. Strela cases are 1.5 cm and that's still not automatic...

What kind of nato strap would go with this watch? What colours or patterns should I get? Should I get black PVD or gold plated or polished or brushed buckles?

Dumb batterynigger opinion: I'd trust a movement more that has a lot of space for endshake and other play than a cramped, ultra tin one where the gears are less than a hair from each other.

You can't imagine the frustration when you realize the reason you're getting shit rates in one position is because the balance wheel is scraping against something.

Is a reliable ultra-thin just not possible for mechanical? There are a lot of NOMOS shills.

Same as the Seagull ST19. Both originate from the same Swiss movement.

>Good luck getting that shit serviced if it ever breaks.

My local watchmaker services all my reps. He's a pretty cool guy.

Grey nato

Good that you have a guy; for the price it might not even be worth servicing ever anyway, though.

>paying more than $10 for a fake
Lmao'ing at your life brah just end it man your dad is already disappointed in you

I want a steel, pre-ceramic, no holes case, no date Submariner

tfw

Reliable workhorse movement that's been used in countless watches over the years.
No hacking kind of sucks.

One matching the dial, bezel, black or if you're pretending to be effay, white. Brushed steel buckles to match the case is the only option that makes any sense out of that. Unless you want it in a few days, just buy one of each from china for a few dollars.

And I want a 5517

Wait I think I am thinking of a different movement.

Apparently the 3133 is based on a Valjoux movement, not a Venus movement like the ST19

>What's the opinion on the poljot 3133 movement?

Slavshit isn't worth the 600 euros they're charging I know that.

i want a milsub

I wouldn't pay that much for a 5740C on Y! JP. You should be able to get one in similar condition for closer to $200 USD than $400 if you have some patience.

>those crazy eyes

Hot, right?

How come JLC clocks are $500 but their watches are $5,000

Enjoy your 112 degrees amplitude +65 SPD (look those terms up, pleb) timebomb movement.

Also enjoy knowing deep inside that you are such a status seeking whore that you buy fakes to try and pretend to entirely imagined social status, and actually have no genuine interest in watches or horology whatsoever.

Waiting for the birth of my wife's son

It's totally possible just like 18000bph chronometers are possible.

Also they're perfectly reliable out of the factory, I just don't trust them to last as long (forty, fifty, seventy years or more) as a normal thickness mechanical. Where there's wear and tear, past shocks or even sloppy service a normal thickness mechanical will run not so good, where a thin one might not run at all.

>wearing a HOMOS

sounds about right

>Mom says younger brother has got into watches since getting his first job
>Am interested to see what he got
>Visit home
>Armani Exchange

NASTY!

His retarded sandals make it 10/10

user you have to talk some sense into the punter.

Mad """""SWISS""""" industry shills

Enjoy your overpriced shitters made from Chinese parts assembled in Switzerland.

90% OF WATCH PARTS USED IN SWISS WATCHES ARE MADE IN CHINA

pic related

Someone is selling a SARB015 in mint condition for 330USD.

Should I? Its kinda rare right?

How are you celebrating the first space flight?

Nice Poljot MAN IN FUCKING SPACE.

Reminder

>triggered the chinks again
top lel

You mean 90% of watch parts used in "affordable luxury" 50.01% Swiss shitters marketed to plebs like you are made in China.

Rolex doesn't make any parts in China. Neither do the Swiss haute horlogerie brands. Neither does Nomos. Not Grand Seiko. It's the modern marketing driven brand whoring "PRESTIGE" driven brands that outsource as much as legally allowed because they don't give a fuck about watchmaking, they see the physical goods merely as a totem to carry the marketing messages.

Why do poor people waste their money on jewelry?

Just buy newly released watches and ignore old shit.

damn, i knwo you guys will hate me but ill ask this.
Are those Filipo Loreti watches a scam or are they really worth the money?
I am not that much into watches, just want a nice simple one.

behavioraleconomics.com/mini-encyclopedia-of-be/sunk-cost-fallacy/

:)

Horse shit

They're a scam, classic example of this shit

imgur.com/a/6CNO8

AVOID at all costs.

>Rolex doesn't make any parts in China. Neither do the Swiss haute horlogerie brands. Neither does Nomos. Not Grand Seiko.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW FAGGOT? YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT THEIR MANUFACTURING OTHER THAN WHAT THEIR MARKETING TELLS YOU.

>tfw Daniel Klein fashion dogshit are selling way more in our store than proper Casio or even steel-case Lorus
The commoners have legit shit taste.

Miniaturisation is expensive.
Also, they're not $500

Pretty cool since it doesn't have the retarded hands of the green meme

The only thing that doesn't come from Rolex's own factories is the hands, and those are made in Switzerland too

Find 1 one (uno) piece of evidence to suggest that Rolex, Grand Seiko, or even Nomos outsource ANY of their production outside of their respective home countries.

I'll wait.

>bergman and stein

Meh, it's alright, but I wouldn't go for it over other SARB models unless you are particularly taken with its looks.

Just got a beater shitter through the post.

Paid £26 on ebay.

It's solar powered, but apparently still has a battery that needs replacing.

The solar energy has to be stored somewhere, it doesn't just zap into useable energy

you'd think it would have a capacitor to store power that wouldn't need replacing.

The same reason rich people waste their money on jewelry.

>using a capacitor for long term energy storage
>in a wearable device no less
Please educate yourself before posting. Especially on the technology board.

>Find 1 one (uno) piece of evidence to suggest that Rolex

As we have seen, to be Swiss, a watch must use a Swiss movement. According to Section 2 OSM, a movement is considered to be Swiss if:

it has been assembled in Switzerland;
it has been inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland; and
the components of Swiss manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking into account the cost of assembly.
If the movement fulfills these conditions, but the watch is not assembled in Switzerland, the "Swiss" indication may be affixed to one of the components of the movement. On the outside of the watch, may then only appear the "mouvement suisse" or "Swiss movement" indication. Section 3 § 3 OSM requires that the word "movement" appear in full, and be written in the same type-face, of identical size and colour, as the word "Swiss".

rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=19245

fhs.swiss/eng/swissmade.html

Changes to Swiss laws which were lobbied for by the hucksters at the Swatch Group are not evidence of what Rolex does or does not do in their manufacturing process.

Again, find me a SINGLE piece of direct evidence that Rolex outsources the production of any parts used in their watches outside of Switzerland.

Guys I think this butthurt fakerolex poster is actually the chinese guy who's feelings we hurt the other day about chinese quality

Please don't fee him (You)s

>lobbied for by the hucksters at the Swatch Group

These laws were in place before Swatch group ever existed. Swatch actually pushed for it to be 50% instead of the already existing 40% pushed for by Rolex.

Prove both of those assertions.

By the way, seeing as Rolex has their own steel and gold foundries in Switzerland, you would be required to argue and provide evidence for the metals being smelted in Switzerland and then shipped elsewhere for any other process, which would of course be self evidently ABSURD, so you might as well just stop now before you embarrass yourself any further.

Buy my watches faggots

Hans Wilsdorf, the gay founder of Rolex died in 1960; since then, the trust has owned and run the company.

Rolex SA is owned by the private Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, which is registered as a charity and does not pay corporate income taxes.

There is no person or persons who 'profit' from higher sales, since no person owns shares of the corporation.

Hans Wilsdorf began creating Rolex watches in the early 1900s along with his lover and business partner, Alfred James Davis. Rolex became a registered brand name in Europe in 1912. In 1920, Wilsdorf bought out Davis' share in the company and continued making improvements to the quality watches. After the death of his wife in 1944 and with no heirs, Wilsdorf wanted to ensure the company continued to run as he dictated, which prompted him to create the trust.

Its important to note that the Foundation's trustees are not owners or shareholders, they are only custodians, like the board of a nonproft. They decide how to reinvest the profit, hire or fire the Rolex director, and so on. As trustees, they may get a free watch from time to time, but they are not owners and don't benefit financially.

So in a way, Rolex, a globally successful company which generates 4 billion in sales annually, belongs to nobody! Nobody uses this money. How many billions has it hoarded over the years is a mystery as neither the Rolex comapny's or the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation's accounts are public.

>take my new used solar watch into the jewlers to get a fresh battery
>get told it takes a special battery that costs £50

Wtf?

Is this true?

Ebay seller said it needs a new battery but it starts sticking in direct sunlight but stops in shade so does it even NEED a new battery? I'll just leave it outside in the garden a bit.

>The trials and tribulations of a mentally decrepit poorfag too retarded to spend 5 minutes googling before buying something

Tip top kek, poorfriend.

>How many billions has it hoarded over the years
They have incredible r&d, always renew everything... Pretty sure almost none of the money is sleeping.

You're stupid

They're probably just trying to have me on. No one would design a watch with a £50 battery change.

They change batteries on the Sunday market for £3

I assume the cash in the bank is minimal. They probably give a big chunk to charity (after all they can't keep it as profit as no one "owns" Rolex) and the rest they pour into research and development.

That Hipster Jew at Hodinkee got the amazing privilege to tour the Rolex factories and (beyond their being a surprising amount of handmade aspects of all Rolex watches) the amount of effort they put into literally every aspect of their watches is astonishing. They're like the anti-Swatch.

hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex

Swiss """""""non-profits"""""" are well known for being anything but and generally shady. Why do you think FIFA chose it as their headquarters.

alpine views and clean air

Anyone been to the Patek Philippe museum in Switzerland or know if there's anything else worth seeing watch related? Will be working in Bern between May and September so have the chance if it's worthwhile.

>buy automatic watch
>Go to set time
>Pull out crown all the way
>Second hand keeps moving
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK

Seriously, the only way to set the time accurately is to autistically movie the dial back and forth to move the second hand one step forward two steps back so that the second hand can remain on zero at the change of the minute, but then when you move the minute hand the second hand stops so it's inaccurate again

Top fucking kek somebody please tell me there's an easy way to do this and I'm not retarded

Visit the local chapter of the Archie fan club

Thoughts?

kek, that was guaranteed of course

You have a non hacking movement where the second hand doesn't stop. The movement is likely so inaccurate there'd little point setting it to exact time

It's an Orient. Good thing I only bought it as jewelry for when I dress up

While I wish it wouldn't have the seconds / minutes marked in numerals overall it's fairly good. Remember it as being decently sized and not very thick either. Make sure you don't overpay - "ETA" in reps is usually not a good idea.