Since you're so smart, Sup Forums...

Since you're so smart, Sup Forums, how would you go to connect 4 HDDs to an old ass EEE PC I have as a home server right now without breaking the bank?
Don't suggest me those expensive as fuck HDD bays.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wmEb5IDpVBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

AWS Snowball

b-but I do senpai.

I don't use it as a nas, I have a microserver for that. Its a print server. EEE 900HA, been going mostly 24/7 for years without issues.

not building pc out of recycling center trash selling it to your parents and using xdrp and ssh to host a webserver.

i spent $-50

youtube.com/watch?v=wmEb5IDpVBA

You will have to buy HDD bays. You can probably find some cheap $15 ones from china if you don't care about your data.

>expensive as fuck HDD bays
They aren't that expensive, unless you're a moron and only shop at BestBuy. Also, considering what's inside a EEE-PC, an external USB bay is your only option. It will cost about $100. If you were building a box/recycling a box in a desktop case, you could get a SATA hot swap bay for about half that price, but you'd need to make sure you had enough SATA ports to fully populate it.

go trade the old shitty laptop to an old shitty desktop/workstation, your best bet

>if you don't care about your data.
Getting the data transfer part of the adapter sorted is easy enough, you just have to trust the chinks to not fuck up soldering too much. The problem is that if they're 3.5" and need to be powered, then the chinks don't get to use a premade chip and have to design the power supply themselves - that's where the housefires happen.

4 shitty external USB docks and a USB hub.

netbook -> 4-port+ usb hub if usb3, or 2x2-port+ usb hubs if usb2 -> 4x usb>sata enclosures or adapters -> 4x hdd's

there might be other things you can do as well, such as if the machine has a minipcie slot, you can add usb3 ports that way

>you just have to trust the chinks to not fuck up soldering too much
That's exactly what I'd be concerned about. What if a power line ended up touching a data line?

I don't want to give up on my 13 Watt idle power consumption, thank you.

>That's exactly what I'd be concerned about. What if a power line ended up touching a data line?
That's why you generally shouldn't buy chink shit with internal power supplies. It's cheap enough to get an external DC power supply that's listed, so you'll usually get that, but even when you don't, you can use an existing good one. Then you're pretty safe.

Well, my objective is to use it as a NAS.

It pulls 13W idle at socket. I don't want to give that up when I don't need any more processing power.

I think the EEE has a mini PCI-E slot, yes, populated by the Wi-Fi card, which I don't need anyway, so I could use that. Aren't there any mini PCI-E multi-SATA cards?

13W seems a little high for an eeepc

What makes you think that? Can you find me lower wattage stuff that's not a SBC like the Raspi?

I'm open to suggestions.

Disable shit you aren't using via the bios and run powertop. I'd expect

Isn't 7W basically what the CPU would consume at idle?
Aren't you forgetting the HDD spinning, network card, AC adapter waste and other motherboard shit?

Well my x200 is supposedly using 9W with the screen on and several programs running incl. FF.

Did you measure that at the wall socket?

OP:
> Doesn't want to "give up" 13W idle.
> Willing to use old, unreliable POS as a server.
> Wants to have a server using SATA 1 (at best) over modern hardware.
> eeePC has:
> - USB 2.0 hardware.
> - No modern hardware
> - Weak, shitty CPU
> - Unreliable mobo
> OP wants to use unreliable mobo and generally shit-tier computer as a server.

Questions to consider:
- Do I feel comfortable storing data on this?
- Can this computer even handle the load without melting?
- Why am I so pleb-tier that I'm even considering this?
- If I can buy a ThinkServer or similar for $199, why am I wasting my time & life with this trash?

My opinion:
> OP is a literal asshat that doesn't understand technology but "neeeeeeeds" a server.

Solution:
Go buy 4 USB drives and plug them into your POS netbook.

Don't come back when your shit melts.

I'll bite:
>Do I feel comfortable storing data on this?
It's a small non-critical home-server I just use for my personal stuff. I have backups, so reliability is not a factor.

>Can this computer even handle the load without melting?
I've had it working at 70ÂșC at times because it's at my attic. I don't give a shit if it melts. At that point I'll replace it. It's not valuable.

>Why am I so pleb-tier that I'm even considering this?
Wasting money on unnecessary things is not a sign of being rich. It's a sign of being inefficient and stupid.

>If I can buy a ThinkServer or similar for $199, why am I wasting my time & life with this trash?
Why would I waste money buying a new computer that even has higher power consumption if an old ass Atom I had laying around has more than enough processing power for my needs and wastes less power?

Think about that for a moment user.

You could buy a minipcie to pcie1x adapter and connect an sata controller.

That's smart!
What about the wattage? Would that mini PCI-E slot have enough juice to power, say, 3 or 4 3.5" drives?

Nah that's the powertop reading m8

>EeePC_1001PXD
>10/100 Ethernet

Just give up.

I used one of those crappy Wintel Pro mini PCs combined with a USB 3.0 with gigabit ethernet hubs to connect a HDD and share it. It works ok for what it does. It's still miles ahead of whatever crap you could build out of this EEE Pc seeing as it doesn't even have USB 3.0

I would prefer Gigabit, yeah, but it doesn't make much of a difference when I'm just reading multimedia from it, or reading some emails.

I also use it with Owncloud, but my internet upload speed is just 10Mbp, so who gives a fuck?

Controller cards only have data ports so you need an actual PSU. It might sound a little overboard but it's your only alternative if you dont want to use a shitty usb2.0 hub.

OP you fucking jew, you're going to have to expend energy to run the drives. You will have 15w minimum on everything.