How difficult is it to learn what a CS undergrad knows?

How difficult is it to learn what a CS undergrad knows?

Other urls found in this thread:

teachyourselfcs.com/
github.com/open-source-society/computer-science
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Could probably cover the core curriculum of a good CS school in a year of intense study.

pretty hard if you give a shit about all the useless theory, only focus on algorithms and data structures. everything else is easy.

Moderately difficult if you don't already have the base math and logic, and spread it over the 4 years. You could compare this to a math-heavy version of a soft-science like biology or sociology. Where things like business, IT, and soft sciences are easy; architecture, BA versions of math and hard sciences are difficult; most engineering degrees, and BS versions of math and hard sciences are hard.

Anyway,

Easy if you already have the math and logic, and spread it over 4 years.

Difficult if you have the math and logic and compress it into 1-2 years.

Very hard if you don't have the math and logic, and compress it into 1-2 years.

That pic has a BLACKED.COM feel :(

>theory
>useless

found the pajeet

Hey guys, what do you think is the right motivation to learn programming?

I know it can be fun from the little bit of MATLAB in my engineering program. I have a few ideas of things that would be fun to make, if I could program. I do have spare time this summer, I'll only be working 20hr a week.

It's just some random girl from my school.

I have no idea. However, I did spend 10 years learning computer science independently and now that I finally have a job I realize that I am miles ahead of people entering my field with master's degrees. I think I could have got my foot in the door after just a few years.

You will never use pumping lemma for context free grammars in your career.

>don't want to fall for the college meme
>still want to fall for the cs meme
What do?

It is if you ever write a compiler

program to program, it's not really that deep

Damn it, I cannot unsee it now

Honestly college really boils down to two things.
1. A way to force you to be motivated to learn and do your work and
2. A degree to show you (probably) did that work.
If you're able to motivate yourself to always do your work on your own and can keep a fairly strict learning routine you would probably be in the same position as an undergrad. The problem is most people can't do that.

in two years of daily 8 hour studying

>Honestly college really boils down to two things.
It also shows a certain level of maturity and well-rounded education. You don't get a degree without taking English courses that force you to be able to state your ideas clearly, or without enough basic math to get by in an office.

teachyourselfcs.com/
github.com/open-source-society/computer-science

>It is possible to finish Core CS within about 2 years if you plan carefully and devote roughly 18-22 hours/week to your studies

>100-200 hours x 9 topics

>that webpage

why

I want to put my dick in it.

Hurr STEM is difficult

i want to cum inside her

>It's just some random girl from my school.
name?

>Hurr STEM is difficult
If you need the underlying basics, which almost every student does, when entering university? Then yes, it is difficult. If you went back after having a decent education and did any other subject, it would be pretty easy, because you already HAVE the groundwork. But without that, it's difficult.

Since when has something being difficult been a bad thing? Stop trolling and fuck off back to Sup Forums

I know the image is a joke but would it not be better to have 4 { 0 to 9 } dropdowns rather than 1 { 0 to 9999 }.

it would be better to just allow the user to enter their phone number in as text and then validate it with regex

I get that, I was the under the assumption that the person didn't want to validate what the user entered. Also in some way its safer to use dropdowns if don't know how to protect against injection.

it isn't any safer

in fact you can do the validation with HTML only

no javascript required. the only reason you would use dropdowns is if you are too incompetent to use anything else

depends on the school. CS is such a new topic that only schools who have pioneered the subject are worth considering.

True, I guess I'm taking the joke to seriously :^)

>teachyourselfcs.com/
This looks reasonable.

Knowing of it alters the way you code, though, as does all theory.

>The difference between code that takes 2 weeks or 15 minutes to run is complexity theory
>The difference between mysterious slowness on sequential tasks involving memory access and blazing rapidity is an understanding of Von Neumann architecture and its implications
>The difference between secure C and insecure C, the language on which most others today tend to be based, is a theoretical understanding of how language design affects your daily code
>The difference between a sensical database and the random scribblings of a madman storing ravings is a strong grounding in first order and propositional logic
>The difference between spending weeks training a neural net to perform inaccurate classification and using simpler logistic regressions that'd solve it nigh perfectly in one hour is a strong basis in AI principles
>The difference between a man who gives up after three weeks of attempting to parse HTML with regexes and someone who does not is knowledge of context-free grammars as learned in a compilers course

Every time you learn theory, you win

About as hard as getting a CS degree.

>>The difference between code that takes 2 weeks or 15 minutes to run is complexity theory
Fucking this. This is the reason optimisation is a lost art.

yeah only babby level software "engineers" think theory is useless

>>The difference between code that takes 2 weeks or 15 minutes to run is complexity theory
Only very basic complexity theory and algorithm analysis. The vast majority of devs do not have strong understanding of complexity theory beyond basic undergrad stuff at best, I don't think it's that big of an issue.

That's the basics that these theory classes impart, studying theory in school would give this desired level of understanding to them, as do most other undergraduate CS theory courses.

Yes, a research level depth in these subjects is probably not going to be used by most people who don't plan on doing work in research (or in anything where an expectation of particularly specialized knowledge exists and is rewarded with more fulfilling and challenging work), but no one bats an eye if I tell someone "If you want to work as a applied mathematician, studying applied math is a good idea".

It should go without saying that
>know more =>
>can do more =>
>can do more cool things or make more money.

So since learning theory is learning more,

>Learn more theory =>
>Do more cool things or make more money

Depending on mental faculties and previous knowledge (i.e. if you were programming as a hobby in high school), you can power through that shit anywhere between a month and a year, depending whether you have other shit on the side (day job, family/kids, etc).

>tfw forgot most of the theory I learned about grammars and compiler design
I know it can be incredibly useful but I just never use it and now I forgot about it.
Protip: don't slack off and cram everything just before an exam.
You may get As and Bs but you'll forget most of it, which is a huge waste.
I'm doing pretty good at university, almost finished a CS masters, and I still feel like a retarded bumblefuck who has no clue what he's doing. I just google my way through.

I would say, 6 months of 6Hrs/7days without all the useless stuff that is though in Uni.

Not much if you really want to.

Yes: 10×4

who dat? any nudes? I wanna cum inside her