/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/releases
ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium#getting-the-source-code
superuser.com/questions/111152/whats-the-proper-way-to-prepare-chroot-to-recover-a-broken-linux-installation
github.com/libretro/RetroArch
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Compton_for_a_tear-free_experience_in_Xfce
duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/
wiki.bash-hackers.org/howto/edit-ed
without-wayland.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_wayland
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/README.md#compilation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Watchdog did not stop!
Watchdog did not stop!

.NET is now fully open source and cross platform. Mono is no longer needed.

What's the best distro?

How do I download Ungoogled Chromium on Kubuntu? I'm new to this.

Depends on what you need.

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

>fully open source
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

It's free (BSD+MIT+Apache2.0) software, don't meme it down to just "le open sores".

PCLinuxOS is objectively the best distro.

install gentoo

>sudo is a must anytime you make install
>not installing inside $HOME
>giving root to unverified repos
KYS yourself

0. re-consider your life if you use i368 ubuntu in year of the lord, 2017
1. open github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/releases
2. search for the section for ubuntu binaries
3. download the .deb packages.
4. install the deb packages with dpkg:
dpkg -i file1.deb
You can supply more than one .deb files or you can put all the files in one directory and inside run
dpkg -i *.deb
5. run apt-get install -f to install any necessary dependencies
6. chromium is now should be in your.... "start menu" or whatever it is called in kde

Check out the github page.

There are prebuilt packages here:
ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/

Compilation instructions here:
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium#getting-the-source-code

Since you're on Ubuntu you can also use a PPA or deb file. Try searching for them.

Wow you're dumb

>KYS yourself
kill yourself yourself

is it worth it to install Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 or should I just stick with Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 LTS and then wait to upgrade when 18.04 comes out? The newer version of GNOME is appealing with a few of it's features but I don't know if the compatibility will be there.

>i just googled a random repo and made make run some scripts from it as root
>but the user that calls on me for it is dumb, not me
That's the joke

>be newfag
>follow compilation guide minus part that says sudo is important
>instructions say make install
>do it
>it doesn't work correctly
>needed sudo
>the devs assumed I knew this

>compilation guide says sudo is important
>compilation guide doesn't warn against unverified sources and to fucking check your trust web twice before sudoing anything new

That's how you turn curious noobs into rooted ms shills... or are you one yourself?

>i just googled a random repo and made make run some scripts from it as rootesn't even include make install. The last instruction is make.
No. That repo doesn't even include make install. The last instruction is make.

>>compilation guide doesn't warn against unverified sources and to fucking check your trust web twice before sudoing anything new
This is common sense homefry.

One infographic can't be everything, it's a good explanation of what compiling is.

>That repo doesn't even include make install
Refer to your own disgusting guide
>This is common sense homefry.
Not for newfags who need infographics

Hello friends, I just built a new rig, I'm running ubuntu on a fresh ssd and have my old hdd with my windows partitions inside, the windows drivers are all broken as fuck though and without at least the network adapter drivers I can't go in and fix it from there

I have access to the file system, are there ways I can use this working linux install to go in and fix it?
I'll post screenshots if you want specifics but I'd just like to know what direction to look to fix it myself

nth for reversing audio

>Refer to your own disgusting guide
Look at it again.

>>This is common sense homefry.
>Not for newfags who need infographics
>Installing something you don't trust
>ever
Whatever dude. Fuck off. You don't even understand what you're looking at.

chroot
superuser.com/questions/111152/whats-the-proper-way-to-prepare-chroot-to-recover-a-broken-linux-installation

Wrong thread

thank you

I'm sorry

He's trying to fix Windows from Linux dude

EPIC XD

Devuan is now 1.0 RC

Shit, I thought it was the other way around
You could try and mount the drive raw in a virtual machine and boot in safe mode

goto ;

>That repo doesn't even include make install
>Refer to your own disgusting guide
>repo
>guide

see: github.com/libretro/RetroArch

I'm sorry I thought English was your first language and you seem to have trouble comprehending images. The image clearly shows the instructions from github and it clearly ends at make.

What's the difference between Fedora and OpenSUSE? Aside from release cycles they seem very similar.

Installed Xubuntu 16.04 64bit on a ThinkPad X230 (Intel HD Graphics 4000) and I just stumbled upon a problem where the screen seems to glitch when playing video or scrolling on Firefox.

Just activated the proprietary graphics drivers on the Additional Drivers program/tool but the problem seems to persist. Didn't have this problem when I tested vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 a while ago.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what I should do to fix this? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I-Is this real? By installing gentoo have I become a desirable male commodity?

compton

Now that devuan is 1.0 RC, next will be the final release?

Should I be worried if my /efi/boot/ entry is called antergos_grub_h7sy instead of antergos_grub?

I'm using linux mint 18.1 cinammon on my laptop (gf gt630m/intel). I bought a monitor and I want to use dualscreen. The problem is that I cannot rotate external screen.
I've already added "Option "RandRRotation" "true"" to xorg, but it doesn't help.
any ideas?

Is installing compton from the official ubuntu repos the way to go or should I look for a ppa?

Why does almost every single linux distro have screen tearing when multiple open windows overlap? For example, having a video player or a windowed game open in front, and a file manager or a web browser window either fully or partially behind will cause screen tearing in the part where the 2 (or more) windows overlap.

I've been using Xfce for a long time and just switched to the compositor to compton. It was one package and dropping some stuff in two files and it insanely smooth now. Why isn't this default?

Hi. I'm I didn't see this before I posted. I just switched to compton and everything is really smooth now. I used wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Compton_for_a_tear-free_experience_in_Xfce

it's probably the same process on Ubuntu but surely you can find a guide for Ubuntu specifically. Maybe this duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/

Intel TearFree, look it up. Turn off the compositor (vsync) in the Xfce window manager options.

Ed is the standard text editor.

How do we fix the clusterfuck of code called Xorg? Why don't they get rid of ancient codes and update it someday?

GNU+Linux*

I use it often. ed is awesome. Try to edit a 2GB file without ed.

Comfy for scripting too. wiki.bash-hackers.org/howto/edit-ed

Linux*

Wayland is already in line to replace X everywhere

Xorg is just patches and hacks taped together. It's being replaced by wayland.

it just werks

without-wayland.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_wayland

GNU+Linux*

Doesn't change the fact that everything is moving to it.

non-GNU/Linux*

>it isn't real

>doesn't get the point

No. I get it.

GNU

Shit*

Linux*

How much of the software you run uses the GNU Public License? Fuck off.

GNU/Faggot*

top kek

RMS disapproves of the GPL v2, faggot.

hue

GNU operating system with Linux added as its kernel*

Oh so you use Hurd? Oh wait...

how to comile git mpv from source

>trying t figure out how to restart compton
>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton
>CTRL + F restart
>no results
This happens all of the time on the Arch Wiki. Even people on the Arch forums link to wiki pages where the answer is absent. Fuck you. It's not as great as you people say. It's an elitist meme. Honestly the Manjaro wiki is turning out to be superior.

There are instructions on the Github. If it's not on the main page check for a README or similar. In this case it is at link related.
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/README.md#compilation

see to get a better idea of what compiling is and follow the instructions at the link.

kill -KILL compton; compton

what laptop is that?

What phone should a freetard get?

Just use kr.
$ kr() { ( p="${1:?}"; pkill "${p}" && "${p}" & ); }
$ kr compton

Had the same problem a year ago and I was to dumb to install+configure Compton properly so I went back to Ubuntu. I hope this gets an OOTB fix before 18.04.

Fresh Debian+Xfce install on a laptop, not much more experience with Linux than just knowing a tiny bit of the terminology and some basic core stuff(cron, screen, ssh, etc). My main computer is a well running Win7 install that I'm familiar with hotkeys on, have a workflow, have fixed any little flaws on(thumbnails for webms, etc), and play games on. Where do I start on making this work for me? I've heard Xfce is terrible for screen tearing, so that needs fixing, I need to get the latest Firefox and my add-ons(ESR is preinstalled), I want to remove some of the bloat that was preinstalled, gotta get the usual laptop bits setup(what to do on screen close, show battery percentage and how long I have left, if it should behave differently on battery vs plugged in), Steam, gotta either learn what the hotkeys are, or configure them to match my old ones, gotta get the layout right on my DE(taskbar on the side, system tray on the bottom, quick launch and start button on top), probably some other stuff. Can you guys point me in the right direction on anything and I can go from there?

Well, shit, just when I needed the Sup Forums archives the most they're down. Doing a search on Google for this is a mess.

Why don't all programs come with a configure script and you just do make install instead if it doesn't?? I thought ./configure was standard?

The world is full of code monkeys.

So this is a problem in general for all the distros that use xfce? What the fuck, how come this hasn't been fixed yet?

Is there a way to decrease the title bar size of programs on gnome?

Mmaybe declaring another dpi to Xorg

./configure
make
make install
is the most common in my experience. I have seen ./autogen.sh quite a bit though which automates it. It's just up to the developer.

Xfce devs don't give a shit about your modern use case. It works for them.

idk it's weird especially since it's such an easy fix and it's not like enabling compton adds bloat. It pulled no dependencies when I installed it, just the one package.

there's no reason to say linux

>>؜59861248
there's no reason for you to live

>Xfce
>devs

Prepare for building
./configure

Build
make

Install
make install

If any of the configure options are pointing to out of home (like /usr /usr/local) you need to add sude to make install and 99% of the time you need to. Some devs use scripts to do everything or you can even get away with ./configure && make && make install also. Personally I like to do it one step at a time. It really doesn't matter though.

I could swear I had code brackets around make oh well you know what I mean

I'm planning on building a PC soon. I'd like to use it as a way to teach myself a variety of Sup Forums related subjects: programming, networking, and GNU/Linux.

When shopping for hardware components, what is the best way to find out if an item will taint my freedom with proprietary firmware?

Also, is Debian a good distro choice for and inexperienced learner such as myself?

My experience is that code brackets are remove when one word only.

Here a test in code
test
does it work?

For what can I use SSH? I am messing with some new things but I can't gasp how I configure it.