Ryzen 5

Which motherboard has the best BIOS at the moment. I heard ASUS is being shit rn and that ASrock is the new king.

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/reviews/8099/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-motherboard-review/index3.html
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-rev-10#sp
youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA
translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html&edit-text=&act=url
semiwiki.com/forum/content/6566-iss-gary-patton-keynote-fd-soi-finfets-beyond.html
semiengineering.com/to-7nm-and-beyond/
eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330467&page_number=2
semiwiki.com/forum/content/6596-globalfoundries-makes-pure-play-foundry-great-again.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HNc4q1kBwhE
pcpartpicker.com/product/HXbkcf/gskill-memory-f42666c15d16gvs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>still no vr bios

why bother

the Asrock Taichi or the Gigabyte Gaming K7.
Taichi has the best power delivery and the K7 has the highest RAM speed rating

No fucking X370 Micro-ATX boards. I've heard the Biostar one is shit

the performance oriented SFF boards will be called X300

Has there been any improvements on the Ryzen motherboards regarding IOMMU groups? I'm mostly concerned with GPU passthrough.

>if you want to buy a Ryzen now, you have to choose between shit and punke mainboards

Fuck it, I just bought a case that can fit µATX max.

This is just stupid. This is one among other reasons why AMD will never overthrow Intel.

1600X is such a strange price point. 1600 can OC to match it and you have to get aftermarket cooler which puts you at 1700 price.

The X-models are for the lazy folks.

This is hardly AMD's fault. Mobo manufacturers didn't give a fuck about Ryzen until launch day. The only exceptions were Gigabyte and ASRock.

I'm just finished building my R5 on the B350 Mortar (mATX) and managed to boot with my 3000 RAM on 2667 after a BIOS upgrade. Will try to clock it higher and OC the CPU asl well tomorrow, good enough for now.

The board is really easy to work with btw, no hard-to-reach connectors or having to decipher the instructions for the power/reset buttons.

You think Intel had ITX motherboards on launch for Skylake and Haswell?

>best power delivery
i watched enough hair autist videos to know that simply counting the chokes, v regs, doesn't suffice to make a final statement on the power delivery.

taichi has more phases 16, not counting the chokes but from their specs, that's all. If you know of a review that has this kind of detail please post it, I'm interested. I'm torn between the k7 and taichi.

I want premium mATX, x370.
Couldn't find even rumors of them yet.

Dude, 16 phases is overkill, 8 is overkill, even if they're using the shittiest of shit chokes, it's still enough for a 150W CPU

well, there's that.
I doubt they're using the cheap stuff, their promotional material makes a big deal of it, super premium.

I just wanted to point out that the amount of phases isn't the end all metric, since a good 8 (or 6) true phase design with real super premium components would fare a lot better.

emphasis on the difference between factual premium and marketing speech premium.

>Asrock Taichi
Too bad the board has been out of stock since fucking launch. It was the motherboard I wanted to get, but it seems like that will never happen.

X models are probably higher binned, so you're guaranteed those speeds. There's some value in that if you care about like ~100mhz in overclock room.

X models can also reach these clocks with less voltage, which decreases power usage.

The ASUS board is fine and has the best memory support rn

The Taichi uses top quality parts, including the same TI NexFETs found on the Crosshair VI Hero (the only two boards using them AFAIK).

tweaktown.com/reviews/8099/asrock-x370-taichi-amd-motherboard-review/index3.html

The only board that can touch it for power delivery is ASRock's own Professional Gaymen model, but that's just the same board in ugly red and black gaymer colours along with a 5Gb NIC that you probably don't need.

That just isn't true though. The Gigabyte Gaming K7 is the only board currently offering >3200MHz speeds without touching BCLK. Others will probably add it eventually, but Gigabyte are offering 3600MHz right now.

>tfw I couldn't get the taichi and went with the gaming k7 instead

hopefully it'll werk just fine. I mostly am using it for the dual bios feature, since I had a bad experience with bricking my sandy bridge MSI board.

That's 'cause premium mATX is x300, not x370

Proof?

not him but
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-rev-10#sp

x300 is supposed to be mini-itx with practically no features.
As I understood it, it isn't meant for commercial use.

I mean verified cpuz posts or something, not the manufacturer's tech specs.

Yeah the 1600x is pretty weird.
Why get it with a cooler if you can get a 1700 for a little more but for plenty more in terms of value.

Then you'll have to go find some. It doesn't change the fact that no other motherboard even offers anything more than 3200MHz right now, as in you can't even try to go above that without adjusting the BCLK. We already know that 3600MHz is possible with Samsung B-die though, because MindBlank got his Crosshair VI Hero running it (via BCLK tinkering), so the Ryzen IMC is certainly capable.

youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA

AMD is readying a large AGESA update for memory compatibility in May, I think most will be able to get over 3200MHz with that, on top of vendor BIOS updates themselves

Speaking of AGESA updates, most R5 reviews were done literally 2 days before the memory latency AGESA update rolled in, that's a no small performance increase in memory bound games like Witcher and Tomb Raider.
Seriously AMD should have lifted NDA on the 16th or something.

>ASRock is now considered good
What a time to be alive.

Is the ASrock AB350M any good? If the ASrock AB350 Pro4 is anything to go by I'd assume it's among the best mATX mobos available right now (especially for its price) but you can never be too sure.

I hope so. I have a pair of CL18 3866MHz Samsung B-die sticks, but am currently limited to CL14 3200MHz on the Taichi. Can't be fucked with BCLK overclocking, that's always a shitshow.

Some were done with it in place via a special BIOS at least. I remember one reviewer specifically mentioning that he was sent a beta BIOS with the latency reduction code included. Possibly TTL, but I don't remember.

ASRock always made great hardware. Their firmware was a little lacking though, and they don't have the same marketing budget as the big boys, so stupid gaymers lump them in with Biostar and friends. The OC Formula range have always been amongst the top overclocking boards though.

Isn't that the same mobo just a mATX version?

>Is the ASrock AB350M any good?
Yes

Yup they even have the same number of VRM phases. 9 total

the matx version doesn't have a heatsink on the 3 right side chokes

How much of them are auxiliary/redundancy?

6+2 real phases, all doubled

What about the AB350?
I've seen reviews and spec/features but I have a question about the Ryzen mobos.
Do accept Windows 7 as an OS or are they restrictive to like W10 only?
(New to mobos here, sorry).

it only has 3 real phases for cpu, all other brands with B350 have atleast 4 phases.

6+3 I think.

How do you know this?

Your source?

What's the best motherboard for Ryzen in the mATX form factor?

Why would it only have 3 phases for the cpu when it has 9 of them?

How is it only 3 "real" phases? Each phase has its own choke, capacitator and mosfet, that's what a phase is, and unless that phase is disabled or routed to god knows fucking what, it's a 'real' phase, does a "real" phase constitute a 20A+ choke or something? Because you're not gonna see those on $90 mobos

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html&edit-text=&act=url

>PRO

I wish mobos wouldn't come with such gay shit.

>Sources: Picture of the mobo with VRM heatsinks on
>No responsibility is taken for the correctness of the data
Actual sources you dipshit

make 3 phases add doublers and some dedicated components. Call it 6 phases.

Double phases (3x2) though.

So is there any B motherboard with 7 "real" phases?

even X boards top out at 6 phases for cpu, Bs top out at 4. 4 are enough for Ryzen, although can get quite hot with shitty heatsink.

I got this one, it comes with two m.2 slots

All of Biostar's and all of Gigabyte's have seven real phases, counting CPU and PCH. But it's irrelevant really. The ASRock AB350M-HDV has seven real phases, but is the absolute cheapest board ASRock offer, so the components will be trash. Component quality matters far more than the sheer number of phases.

Eight is the maximum you're going to see on any board without doubling. Digital PWMs like the IR35201 top out at eight phases. Anything above that is doubled. You're way past the point of any of it mattering at that stage anyway, so long as the components used are of good quality.

Considering I'd keep the system for at least 4 years I'd rather just get a Taichi or that board that supports 5GbE instead of some cheap B350 one, $100 isn't some big money over 4 years.

I agree with this, you get a good Intel NIC too and decent power delivery, the cheap mobos don't have that.

How would this compare to 4 real phases?

also planning to do this in the Arctic. does MSI have RGB Control in the UEFI?

Why do people think a CPU not even pulling 200W overclocked to the brink needs 8 phases when a GPU pulling 300W is fine with 6?

Efficiency? Heat dissipation?

>fab on hpp
>get mad clocks
>Sup Forums burns down the house
>fab on lpp
>get mad efficiency but lower clocks
>Sup Forums still burn down the house

Raven Ridge will be the first Zen+ core, to be launched later this year. Also AMD is getting FDSOI for Pinnacle Ridge, in the same process IBM is using for their POWER9.

semiwiki.com/forum/content/6566-iss-gary-patton-keynote-fd-soi-finfets-beyond.html

semiengineering.com/to-7nm-and-beyond/

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1330467&page_number=2

semiwiki.com/forum/content/6596-globalfoundries-makes-pure-play-foundry-great-again.html

>17 (seventeen) metal layer
A literal brick made to kill people. Whoa.

I shilled for the Taichi before, but now that my god has spoken

youtube.com/watch?v=HNc4q1kBwhE

thank fug I got a k7

NOCTUA SEND BRACKET ALREADY JESUS

Piss off, shill. You can't even read your own shit you link to, Raven Ridge is the Zen based APU that we have known for close to a year now

It keeps getting more and more reviews though, someone is fucking getting it.

I'll hold out a while longer, my fucking wife's 1600X system is gonna be ready before my 1700.

Zen+ isn't until 2018

>raghu78
>Banned

>Too bad the board has been out of stock since fucking launch. It was the motherboard I wanted to get, but it seems like that will never happen.
Just bought it a few hours ago.

Found this mATX x370 from Biostar, doesn't look exactly premium.

Sup Forums is considering the link to biostar site as spam, so if you want to look it up, the model number is X370GT3 Ver. 6.x

Which RAM did you pair with the board?

Hardware is almost identical on all the mobo makers, it's just that the bigger players have far more resources to also get the software side right

While we're on the topic, a friend wanted a good Sup Forumsidja build, gave me $1500 to work with.

I really want to build a 6C12T minitx setup but the cost puts me off.
Should I just go with a 4C8T?

That might be an older CPU Cooler. Make sure it comes with AM4 brackets.
I'd also check and make sure the RAM is on that mobo's QVL.

No, it's quite underwhelming for such a small price differential for $49.95?

Price difference here is a bit more in the north.

what a worthless contribution, dont ever reproduce you fucking failure.

your dna is defective, die the last of your kind you cunt

No worries, Noctua said all they need is just the invoice on both motherboard and cooler and they'll ship the AM4 bracket. Told my friend about this and that they should do it the moment they pull the trigger and order.

I also checked the RAM, it does fall within the motherboard's spec. I was hoping to get 2667 but only OC's beyond 2400.

>2400 RAM
Invest in 3200 to pair with Ryzen.

>MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
You may want to compare and contrast it with the GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3.

Is it? I just assumed you were 'merican since that's most of the guys around here. Where you at? I'll try and see what I can do to help c:

Holy shit this is part of the reason why I love coming to Sup Forums. These comments make me kek.

what are you using your computer for?

>Invest in 3200 to pair with Ryzen
The MSI page said that it only accepts OC's over 2400, plus the price/performance differential seems to only really level out at 2997 (I think? Somewhere along those lines) and anything above is just 2-3 fps for much higher price.

>GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3
I'll take a look into it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Norway
Hobby coding, media/design content, sometimes game but I don't really care about max graphics, just fine with 60fps at 720p if so.

get 4C8T.

>preforms about the same stock as an i5 7400

if you dont need more cores dont spend the money on them :) .

samefagging btw, spend extra money on faster and more RAM

Yeah might do so. Does every extra thread in the AMD CPU equal or work as their counterpart from the blue team?

Also not really interested in overclocking, just want something nice that will be a bit future proof for casual stuff but still snappy enough to be enjoyable?

the IPC isn't /as/ good as Intel's, made somewhat worse by the speed difference per-core. However, when things inevitably move to 6-8 cores main they'll deffo shine there.

for your uses ryzen is perfect. amd imo was pushing for content creating and such. it preforms well in adobe products and stuff like that. gaming it kind of underpreforms but if you dont mind medium graphics it's perfect. of course a 6C 12T will be faster but you might as well use the money on more ram / an SSD. SSD's are worth every dollar you spend.

I will get the cheapest 6C12T, should be good enough for everything. How well does the Ryzen work under linux?

not sure, windowsfag here lol. i'd do some research on it if i were you though. don't trust everything you hear on Sup Forums lol. goodluck with the build

I see thanks

At 720p it should manage pretty good frames with even somewhat older GPU's.

Alternately, with 1440p monitors you don't fucking see the slightest difference between anything above the 1500

I am highly considering the Gigabutt board, now. Though what RAM do I pair it with? It specifies that the rest are OC above 2400, so if I suggest 2666 would it be overclocked to 2667/2933 ? Considering this pcpartpicker.com/product/HXbkcf/gskill-memory-f42666c15d16gvs