/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for single threaded. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5/7
>R7 for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>RX500 comes April 18th. Vega in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/PthTRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/LRrLnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/YpfGD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/mrz9pb
youtube.com/watch?v=JypkqwpOtNI
outervision.com/b/HEAcmp
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/PQ3BJV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Evidentally I've made some stupid decisions while planning out my build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PthTRG

Please fill in the missing places with parts that would be best. I don't know as much as I think I did.

I'd like to use this as a rig to power a racing sim when Forza 7 comes out.

That's a nice case desu

>pcpartpicker.com/list/PthTRG
>i7
wew lad what a fucking mistake

dont

buy

that

case

i have the same one and it gets really dusty, the front panel that is

So what's the verdict on Zotac as a company and their 10 series GPUs? I read online that they offer the highest clock speeds for their GPU's and their AMP Extremes are GOAT but I'm a little wary about that

That chip is sitting at 4.5ghz and beats pretty much everything in benchmarks. Money well spent, which is why I'd like to keep it.

Already have it, but my front isn't dusty?

Building a new R5 1600/1600x gaming computer.

should I buy rx580? or buy 1060.

>1080p gaming
>144hz monitor
I know both gpus can push 100+fps in most games just not sure which will be more worth.

Is there an advantage to SSD's like that?

>beats pretty much everything in benchmarks
what while stuttering and being a housefire?

>Already have it, but my front isn't dusty?
it will be soon or your airflow is shit

Hey Guys i want to upgrade my Graphics from the GTX 960 to a new one.

I want only to play in FullHD.

So should i buy a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1070 or the RX one?

I bought it because the motherboard (a gift) had an M.2 slot and I figured it was a good place to keep the boot drive since I still have two 2.5" bays.

But my M.2 is SATA which uses the same sort of data lanes as a hard drive or an SSD, whereas more expensive M.2 drives are NVME which are much faster and don't use a SATA port so you can have more HDD/SSDs

buy 1060 lol. 1070 is for 1440p range.

Get a 580 when they come out or a 480 right now.

If you are going Nvidia I wouldn't get anything less than a 1070.

>stuttering

What a dumb meme. When I was putting together the build I ran it through a ton of graphics benchmarks because I was stoked to own a gtx1080. Running Heaven, I recorded a min FPS of 9.3 but that was ONLY when it was transitioning scenes or coming off the main menu, and that was literally one frame that would drag down the FPS.

Otherwise, running Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Civ V, etc, I've yet to see anything drop below 100fps on a 1080p monitor. (Except Fallout 4 because that has to be locked at 60fps)

And as far as the housefire meme goes. Stress testing it on a heatsink only gets it up to 70c.

I have 2x140mm up front, pulling in. Anyways, it's a dust filter, it's supposed to catch dust!

so with a 1060 i can play most of the modern games in 60 fps?

If you like to have money in your pocket don't buy an i7 and don't buy an m.2 SSD. get a 1800x if you really want to spend that much money and buy a Samsung 850 EVO. Also 16gb of 3200 ram

yes a 1060 will run basically anything at above 60FPS if you play at 1080p

Yes. And that $10 more is worth the 5-20% performance increase. It gets you more performance/$ overall for your system
An even bigger performance increase with APUs.

i7 aren't good performance/$ with Ryzen 5 here, but they're still good at what they're good for.

You need a cooler. lmao. Get some 2800-3200 RAM.

All M.2 aren't NVMe. You have no clue what you're talking about so stop spreading misinformation.
Just smaller. That's it, when they're SATA M.2 like that one. Exactly the same otherwise.
M.2 don't cost any more for a SATA M.2

RX470. RX480 if you really want to spend more, but the RX470 does 60fps+ on virtually every game if you just slightly turn down settings.

Subjectively, people say they stutter. You can see it in video capture, too, even though the FPS counter is still high.

>all M.2 aren't NVME

>But my M.2 is SATA
>whereas more expensive M.2 drives are NVME

Dude, c'mon.

And the i7 is awesome.

About to pull the trigger on a masterbox 5. Any reasons not to?

epic eight core crossfire gaming rig for my battlestation
pcpartpicker.com/list/LRrLnn
r8/h8

What i dont understand why are the 1060 are having only 6 GB of VRAM

>it doesn't have basic reading comprehension skills to understand

Not really, unless you don't like the looks of it. My Master 5 is built well and it's nice to be able to remove the drive cages for airflow. There are two HDD cages on the bottom and two SSD brackets above the basement, plus a lot of room to install CPU coolers and work with cable management with the panels removed.

But they're a big case, too big for what I realized I needed. In retrospect I would go ITX or mATX (if I saw SLI in my future)

>pcpartpicker.com/list/LRrLnn
Why not 2 R9 Fury and a 4k monitor?

Really, you could make an actual good build here for the same money if you wanted to.

I said my M.2 was SATA, but others are NVME.

If someone doesn't understand that, then it's their loss.

Also, no one has helped me with my RAM/PSU/CPU cooler/monitor/keyboard/mouse question so I can leave the self-righteous circlejerk that is /pcbg/ alone.

It's not a meme. I went from Ivy i5-K to a 1600 with a 144Hz monitor and suddenly running at >100FPS is not a stuttery mess with frametimes all over the place.

Maybe that's because you went from a five-year-old 4c/4t processor to something that's modern.

Zotac was so shit in the past no one wants to be anyone elses beta tester and give them a chance.

because 1080p gaming doesnt use more than like 2.5-3gb of VRAM why would you even buy the 6b model. Get the 3gb.

RX 580, nvidia drivers a shit

I really love the look of it and it seems very versatile. I'm just kind of hoping it ends my search for the perfect case as all the other cases I've had fell short of my expectations and needs, probably my fault for not researching thoroughly. Did the case come with a 5.25" drive bay or is that something you order extra?

My case is a Pro 5 and at came with a 5.25" bay.

but amd always builds fucking bad drivers

that says more about nvidia then amd

Tech reviewers are subjectively seeing stutter even with the 5960X and 7700k, both with an SSD.

I'd say the juries out until it's proven /not/ to exist. I'm on a 2500k, which stutters for obvious reasons, so I can't comment.

I wouldn't even get a 1070 unless you know it's required for 144fps in the game you play and you absolutely need 144fps minimum in it. Like Overwatch, for example.
The performance per dollar on the 1070 is awful even when it's dropped to $325.
For 1440p? Get an R9 Fury in in the US, most of the time.

AMD's drivers are better than Nvidia's now days.

Should I do it ? I need to go with intel for VFIO Passthrough. I chose the 144hz panel because I play a lot of old games and emulation (3rd to 7th Gen) and I'll get very fluid gameplay in those.

Er to add:
This seems a lot like the microstutter thing like 5+ years ago with SLI and AMD GPUs.

People were swearing it happened. Tech analysts were saying it didn't.
It took them many months (over a year?) to figure out how to measure for it to see that it really was something that happened.
Software measured frametimes are not a viable metric.

>blah stutter blah blah blah blah

I'm tired of hearing about how shitty my chip is, when my own experience is completely opposite.

All I want to know is what to fill in the missing spots with on the list.

Most likely, but it's something to consider for those still clinging to Sandy/Ivy i5s like they were the second coming of Jesus because, frankly, what we got from Intel was just exactly the same plus a few more megahertz for 5 years. Now that we can have an actual upgrade at a similar price point it would be foolish to keep pretending 4c/4t is still perfectly fine if you want to keep Discord and others up while gaming or you're using a 100Hz+ monitor.

>AMD has better drivers than nVidia
>Asrock makes best motherboards, Asus is worst
Did I slip into bizarro world recently?

buy SSD you will not regret. switch 1070 for 1060, buy a 6700k and overclock. save money and get basically the same performance

I have no idea about the PSU, but the rest seems fine.

Have you just waken up from a 2 years coma? Nvidia drivers have been a fucking disaster lately while AMD has been fine and improving since they changed to the Crimson drivers.

Welcome to 2017.

You slipped into the best timeline.

AMD Fine Wine, baby. Honestly AMD having better drivers than Nvidia has been the norm for like 2 years now, granted there's some silly stuff with crimson.

What's a good CPU for an H97?

I need it for 3D rendering

Well nvidia still has the best power usage

>be me
>casual gaming on my 13 inch mid 2012 macbook pro
>installs 500gb 850evo
>16gb of ram
>loads faster into games than all of my friends with 2000+ dollar pcs

it literally has a 2C/4T i5 its garbo

lmao

The best part is that ASRock is still well priced, despite being the best.

Gigabyte's Ryzen boards are also way fucking better for less money than their Intel ones.
I think a lot of it is that they well overestimated the power that Ryzen would draw, so they overbuilt the fuck out of motherboards.

But now you have some retardo B350 boards like the MSI mATX GAMING one, that can't handle an overclock and which should be A320. Though I guess they work for underclocking...

It'd say it's been since the second Crimson Edition drivers release that they were really good. Finally like no significant issues at all. I forget when that came out.
And since then they've kept getting better, while Nvidia's keeps getting worse.

Nvidia even ties fucking game keys to a GeForce account and hardware instead of just giving you a key that you can give to a fucking friend if you don't want it, in addition to many other fuckups.

True, but who really cares? RX470 and RX480 wattage are still acceptable. They're less than half that of the Fermi GTX480.

liek this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/YpfGD8

Sure, not going to upgrade my 960 any time soon, at the very least until we get Vega or something with Maxwell+ tdp (fan noise)

>despite being the best
the only reason Sup Forums likes them is because asus doesn't want to support amd chips like do with intel.

>pins on cpu
lol. yes give me a larger risk of ruining my $400 chip rather than my $100 motherboard

Old 290 literally just cooked itself, thankfully no other casualties. What's another good placeholder while eternally waiting for the next big thing? Price isn't a problem if it can be justified, am using 1440@144hz.

The 6700k /w Mainboard costs more than the 7700k /w Mainboard where I live. I had already considered going for Skylake.

Will a SSD make any difference aside from loading times, boot time and opening files ?

pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
Is there a better option for the motherboard that is at around the same price point?

How do you even completely ruin a cpu with pins? Step on it? I've successfully fixed dropped AMD cpus, as well as improperly inserted or removed ones with entire rows of pins bent at 45-60 degree.

no but load times are fucking insanely fast

im never going back to hard drives now that i know how fast SSD's are

>lol. yes give me a larger risk of ruining my $400 chip rather than my $100 motherboard
For one, the pins are much beefier than LGA ones.
I made my first PC in 2001, made so fucking many sense. I've never had that problem. I've never heard of that problem.
It's just some bullshit non-issue that cucks obsessed with jews financially dominating them have made up.

loading levels and streaming in assets which is common in newer engines.
scratch disk if you get one with a long enough life time.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
Not sure. I just know the mATX ones. But that board is very good.

Can anyone answer my questions? Please point me towards the best RAM/PSU/cooler/monitor

>best ram
>best psu
>tfw newfag

best RAM is the cheapest DDR4 you can buy.

best PSU is the best rating you can buy for the least amount of money

best cooler probably a 212 evo for aircooling. watercooling is now the new norm.

monitor go for either 1440p 144hz or 1080p 144hz.
personally I have a 1080p 144hz. they are all the same really just go through newegg and amazon and see whats cheaper lol. the real decision making is the cpu and the gpu.

best PSU was linked multiple times in the previous thread.

best cooler is subjective. Depends on what you want.
best monitor is subjective. Depends on what you want.
best RAM is whatever 2800-3200 is on sale. Intel CPUs care more about true latency than actual frequency. Google how to calculate the true latency of memory.

>best cooler probably a 212 evo for aircooling
no it's not

> watercooling is now the new norm.
and most AIOs cool worse and create more noise than high end air.

>RAM
Fastest DDR4 RAM you can afford just use PCPartPicker's filters

>PSU
550w+ G3, G2

>cooler
Up to you if you want to air cool or use an AIO cooler

>Monitor
For a 1080? A 1440p @144hz is what I'd aim for for. You wont hit 144 fps but you will be hitting 60+, tune down your games graphical setting accordingly

I'm looking for a build that's music production oriented. In other words I'll be using a DAW, some MIDI controllers and (hopefuly) lots of virtual instruments and samples. I suppose CPU and RAM should be the most important parts? I already have an external soundcard.
I'm from Brazil so prices could be a problem but I really don't mind spending if it's worth it.

Which DAW?
You'd have to look up benchmarks to see if it's single threaded or multithreaded.
Give a budget, equivalent to USD.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mrz9pb
>Forza 7
>not using the biostar racing mobo
>do you even wanna go fast?

Honestly it looks fine except your dumb ass motherboard.

Hmm should i buy a rx 480 or a Gtx 1060

All shitposting aside about the i7, Forza seems to love more cores and threads.

It's not a game benchmarked a lot, but this is telling when the 1600 that's only 3.2/3.65ghz handedly beats the 3.5/3.9 6600k
youtube.com/watch?v=JypkqwpOtNI

Unless there is a specific game you play that the 1060 is optimized for and 20% better in, the RX480 as it's better on average and cheaper.

Ryzen 7 1700, 3200mhz RAM kit and an asrock B350 Pro4 or asus prime B350 motherboard.

wait next week for the RX 580

That'd be Ableton. Budget would be at about 950 dollars but I believe most hardware components sold here get almost 50% more expensive because of heavy taxation, though.
Thanks in advance.

He doesn't need 3200mhz RAM for fucking music.
2133 or 2400 is fine for production. Few production applications need faster RAM nor faster infinity fabric.

$950 isn't a lot considering that things cost more there.
Do you already have a GPU you can use? PSU? Case?

i think you're right i should wait for the rx 580 or vega

3200Mhz RAM is like 10-20 bucks more at most per 16GB, easily worth it. In fact second cheapest kit I could buy was 3200.

If it was like double the price sure but it's a tiny ass premium for better performance across the board for most stuff.

That stuff is multithreaded and uses SMT, so R5 1400 at the very least. But you might want to get a 1500X or 1600 if you can afford.

Try to put a build together in pcpartspicker.com that has what you think you need. Add custom part for what you already hard or try to look it up and mark it as purchased.

Vega will be 1070 prices at least. But RX580 looks to be 8-13% better than the RX480 at the same price, which is already better than the 1060 on average, so it's a no-brainer.

I feel so cucked paying the yurotaxes to build sharia schools and refugee houses, holy shit

Hitler did literally nothing wrong

The MSI RX 580 should be out at the End of April or?

If 1080p, RX 580

If anything over 1080p, Vega

>bending pins
>a risk
???
are you a literal retard or something to bend your fucking pins?

the 18th

*house burns down*

5 days.

l m a o.
Buy something used maybe?
That's just so not fucking work it.

Frankly, I think 1070 is a trash card.
It's too powerful for 1080p. Okay maybe for 144hz, but how is 90fps not good enough? The difference between 90 and 60 is huge, but 90 and 144 is hard to tell for most games.
It's too weak for 4k.

It's like the "muh futureproofing" card, I guess? But most games are still console ports that are going to run 60fps+ on an RX480 anyway since they were made to run 30+ on something weaker than the RX460 that's half as powerful.
And Nvidia midrange cards are known to age shittily. 8GB of HBM2 is going to age much better since a game can use 12GB of VRAM and not hurt it much, just like how the Fury with 4GB of HBM outperforms the 1060 at 4K in games using 6GB of VRAM. And Vega is supposed to improve that further.

wat?
1070 aren't housefires at all. Even the 1080Ti isn't.

The only time I've seen pins bent is
>I'm bending a pin every day until Vega is released
shit

I probably exaggerated a bit with the numbers, and sometimes we have some decent prices during sales. Maybe we could try a higher budget and see if the prices match?

I have a PSU (it's a 400W Corsair iirc, but I'll look into it when I get home), a shitty case which probably isn't worth it and no GPU. Would a GPU really matter for this build? I would've thought that the onboard chip would be sufficient, but at the same time I don't know shit. Thanks again.

Is a 1070 a good upgrade from a 780?

Yes you need a GPU since Ryzen don't have integrated ones. They stopped putting GPUs on the motherboard ages ago.
Your 400W PSU will be fine.

Can you wait until Q3 or Q4? Then you can get the AMD APUs which would save a lot.

I mean you could just get an RX460 or 1050 which around like $70-$115 US... but they're kind not-worth-buying bad. The price-performance on them sucks.
Whereas the upcoming AMD APUs will likely have a GPU that's 50-75% as powerful included for like probably $25 more than an equivalent CPU without it.

Does your 780 not feel good enough? People are still gaming 1440p on 280Xs and 290Xs.

The only time I've seen a bent pin is when someones CPU leaked acid or some shit ontop of the CPU which literally ate trough the pins so hard that they corroded from the middle and couldn't keep the weight.
The concept of bent pins in the first place is fucking unthinkable.

>The concept of bent pins in the first place is fucking unthinkable.
kek well, I've bent Intel LGA ones; they're so fragile.
But I was able to bend them back with a needle.

AMD ones are so beefy, you'd have to have them on a hard floor and step on it. Just dropping it generally isn't enough. And if it does, it's much easier since you can use tweezers on them instead.

Its not like is just a 1070 thing, and I'm not buying it, fuck the juden

>Does your 780 not feel good enough?
Not for top end stuff, and its only going to get worse. I want to upgrade from 1080 to 1440p as well, and it already has trouble holding 60 on graphically intensive games.

Speaking of America getting the best deals.

8GB ROG Strix RX480 + Prey for 200 Euro. wtf?
computeruniverse.net/group/prey/donnerstagsdeal.asp

drive to Germany or whereever and buy it for under 1/4th the cost with a new and good looking game included?

>drive to Germany

Where fuck do you think that caps are from?

Germany is the cheapest place in europe and yet the prices are retarded as fuck

Just a quick question, will a 550W EVGA G3 be enough, or should i spend 5-10 bucks more on a Super Flower Leadex II 650W?
I won't OC from the start, but do want to OC maybe in a year when i upgrade my GPU and monitor to 1440p 144Hz.
According to the PSU calculator 550W should be enough, but it says i can hit up to 472W under load, which leaves little head room and isn't really efficient.
Am i correct to assume the 650W is the better choice?

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list outervision.com/b/HEAcmp

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Ryzen 7 1700X ---> 1600 OC !!
CPU Speed: 3900MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.4V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x AMD Radeon RX 480
Core Clock: 1331MHz
Overvoltage: 5%
Memory Clock: 2188MHz
Storage: 1 x SSD
Storage: 1 x SATA 7.2K RPM
Optical Drive: 1 x DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive
Other Device: 2 x USB 2.0 Device
Other Device: 2 x USB 3.0 Device
Other Device: 1 x Fan Controller Device
Keyboard: 1 x Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Gaming Mouse
Fan: 5 x 140mm
Computer Utilization: 8 hours per day
Load Wattage: 472W
Recommended Wattage: 522W
Amperage: +3.3V: 9.6A, +5V: 14.8A, +12V: 34.7A
Recommended UPS Rating: 900VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2017-04-13 06:23:40

Also somewhat related. Do you think getting a X370 now (because better VRM) and upgrading the CPU in like 1-2 years for hopefully better OC on AMDs side is worth it, or should i simply stick with 1600 and B350?

I'd go with the 650W for 10 bucks more as it gives you more flexibility if you overclock or upgrade, for instance, to vega.

On a similar note, why do I never see anyone mention the asrock b350 pro4?
>9 phase VRM (more than some X370 boards)
>DDR4 3200Mhz support
>$85 on newegg

Seems a damn good choice for the 1600

So... R5 1600x/B350 or R5 1600/X370?

>asrock

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/PQ3BJV
thoughts?

MSI shill begone