/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI
wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for smash capitalism!

h-hey.

I can't decide on a distro.
What would I lose choosing Manjaro over Arch?
Would updates be delayed over when Arch gets them? No as many packages? Anything like that?

Is there like an easy guide on how to quickly get Arch up to how Manjaro is, like step by step and up to date on what you need for all the basic normie desktop stuff? And I don't know, a better installer?
Or would I just not miss out on anything using Manjaro?

You can check the arch wiki for that guide you're asking for.

Manjaro AFAIK does hold the updates for a little, but it should be a matter of a few days if it does really work like that.

desu who cares in getting something a week sooner or later; 99% of things you won't directly notice anyway

This should be in the sticky:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI

Experimenting with distros is time consuming when you're using it as your primary desktop.

Then what's the downside to using Manjaro over Arch?

Manjaro updates average about 2 weeks behind Arch for most packages and the user experience is the same minus initial configuration. If you want to run plain Arch without the extra testing you can use the arch-anywhere installer or Antergos. I ran Arch for a long time it's not a fragile as people meme so don't worry about it but in the long run Manjaro will probably save you from a breakage of some kind down the road because of the release model. And if you want, you can use the Manjaro unstable repos which are synced with Arch and be just as up to date and if you have problems revert back to stable.

I'd had to google to give you a complete answer, but apart from the install method there shouldn't be much.

Arch linux forces you into a netinstall, whereas a distro like manjaro eases the process and maybe has some kind of *forced* desktop environment installation (maybe they install KDE? maybe they give you some choices but defaults to KDE?).

desu the *up to date packages* is kind of a meme

>Then what's the downside to using Manjaro over Arch?
You will be abused on the internet by Arch fanboys

Okay I did some more reading.
How is Antergos even a different distro? It seems like it just has a better installer and rename's Arch.

>Despite being Arch-based, Manjaro uses its own repository and holds back Arch's packages for a testing period
Hm.. but if I change to unstable, it'd use Arch repos or something?

I guess where I'm at I... want hand holding pretty comfy desktop experience to start with, but I don't want to be held back by it.
I have plenty of experience with Debian servers, know how to use Linux through a terminal, and command line is comfy for me, but I don't necessarily want my desktop experience like that.

I was considering Debian unstable for desktop as well, as that'd be more familiar, but I was getting the impression from people that customizing it to the degree you would with Arch could likely lead to instability and updates breaking.

But when I google image search "Arch Linux", I see a bunch of people's desktops with anime backgrounds. Isn't this a big downside?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

So, I'm having a problem right now regarding lightdm installation I follow the installation guide exactly the same in the wiki. I also installed lightdm gtk greeter theme. I did enabled lightdm.service successfully and when I start lightdm.service, It just show blank screen. I already did the blank screen fix based on the wiki. but nothing happens.

here is what the systemctl status gave to me: Apr 13 23:29:10 hajim lightdm[450]: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

can anybody look into this matter? as I am a newbie.

you can go with debian testing (instead of unstable) and there isn't a single thing holding you back from having a light, customizable, start

during the installation you simply select no desktop environment and start apt-ing what you want to use or just stick with one of the options

debian testing has been frozen for a few months, though; if you don't care about the release cycle there shouldn't be any issue

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Linux is not POSIX certified

>40 peers
>4.44 MB/s
thats some slow networking

GNU isn't either

GNU+Linux is

Well I just need 4.10 kernel at minimum, 'cause Ryzen.

There any reason why I wouldn't start with a desktop environment, then replace its desktop with KDE from there?

But umm. I really hate when I need a new thing and it's not in the repo. It doesn't seem like Debian testing/unstable is really that bleeding edge with my past experience, is it? Compared to Arch?

Can someone help me? Im using ubuntu and have alsamixer and pulseaudio installed. Every time I reboot the computer, 'Headphone' in alsamixer is set to 0. So whenever I reboot, the sound mutes itself again. I need then to manually set the sound to my liking(pretty annoying).
Ive tried:

alsactl store in terminal
disabling automute in alsamixer
Uninstalling pulseaudio
Running a script on startup:
script.conf

amixer set 'Headphone' 100%

In etc/init

>Hm.. but if I change to unstable, it'd use Arch repos or something?
Not Arch's repos but Manjaro's own repo that they sync with Arch stable.

Why are you messing with alsa when you have pulse installed? Install pavucontrol.

Debian (stretch at least) is a buggy mess. I switched to it from Arch thinking that I was going to get similar package freshness with split packages and it was a disaster. They like to patch everything just because they can evidently. The mostly vanilla packages from Arch are tons better.

Arch is a stepping stone.

>But umm. I really hate when I need a new thing and it's not in the repo
You won't have that problem with an Arch based distribution since you will have the Arch User Repo.

Yeah... I've had pretty bad experience with Stretch.
But I hear Arch can break a lot too and "don't update".

Void looks super promising, but immature... I feel pretty lost still.

>You won't have that problem with an Arch based distribution since you will have the Arch User Repo.
Yes, that is appealing to me.
And why I'm shying from Void.

But I mean I could add "user repos" to Debian, too. It just often created problems in the future.

>Arch is a stepping stone.
toward what?

Why doesn't someone fork systemd into something that is only an init system and more moduar?

>>Arch is a stepping stone.
>toward what?
An Arch based distribution

because anyone capable of doing that is most likely fully aware it will never catch on nor have the force behind it to replace the original one resulting in a little to no impact on the linux ecosystem and therefore a massive waste of time and effort that could be put into something more useful.

there are alternatives to systemd.
noone uses them.

Devuan is now 1.0 RC, it's almost ready for prime time. Also, I think that by june debian stretch will be released.

So I just put in a second graphics card to hook up a third monitor, and I got to experience the wonderful world of having more than one X screen, and being unable to move windows between that monitor and others, among other things. Apparently, it's impossible to have one X screen span monitors that are connected to different cards.

Is Wayland going to fix this shit? Because up until now I've been pretty ambivalent about all of Wayland's claimed benefits, but if it improves multi-monitor then I'm getting on the train.

No it's not. POSIX certification is a costly process not reasonable to free projects.

That guy is one of the most obnoxious person I have ever seen post videos.

Just because you messed your installation doesn't mean something is unstable. If it happens something didn't work out for you but it actually did for others maybe you should think twice about the issue and where did it stem from.

If you start with an already set up DE installation you're fixed to what that installation medium provided to you. In the case of debian, I'm not sure which packages it does install, since you have several options available (like desktop-environment-core vs desktop-environment-full).

I'm not sure which kernel does debian testing have right now because of the frozen state. IIRC I used to have the important updates a week later or so, not sure there but it seemed *soon*. Not that I care most of the times anyway. I'm going to boot up to debian and check.

I don't mind installing from source every once in a while. AUR has many packages available, but it's still the Arch User Repository, not the official one (not like it matters in the end for an average desktop usage desu).

The downside is that it's a useless downstream distribution.

You don't even know what makes up a distribution. Instead of informing yourself about the few things that do and then forming an opinion about it yourself, you want to be spoonfed "the best" distribution out there. Invest some time (30 seconds) or effort asking the right questions and you'll get answers.

Which distribution? What hardware? Did you install the video drivers? Because LightDM wouldn't start on me without installing drivers (modesetting one didn't work). Did you install X?

This .
Undo all the changes you did. Reinstall Pulseaudio. Install the "glue" package your distribution should ship to make Pulseaudio work flawlessly with ALSA (called pulseaudio-alsa on Arch, no idea about yours).
Then delete all the Pulseaudio configs in your home directory. Do not mess with ALSA directly then.

debian stretch is frozen in 4.9

wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch
> 2016-08-13: Stretch kernel will be Linux 4.9 LTS

if you need 4.10 you can either install a different distro or stick with testing and wait for the new release

Actually its called systemd-linux.service. Get with the times nerds.

Because systemd is modular and it has an init system component.

that's a fairly niche use case outside of hooking up a dozen monitors

but on a serious note I'm pretty sure xinerama is what you're looking for

it's*
, nerds*

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best simple and modular init system for daily use?

>If you start with an already set up DE installation you're fixed to what that installation medium provided to you
Wait really?
I can't switch between Cinnamon, XFC, KDE after it's set up?

So if I want Arch with KDE, I need to install Arch CLI only, then get the KDE packages?

Alright, thanks.

runit? Well, not that modular since you can only use logrotate.

Or just install 4.10 yourself

How useable is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?
Anyone with experiences?

>Just because you messed your installation doesn't mean something is unstable.
It was just a net install of Xfce. There was nothing I could have possibly fucked up.
All I did was install Chromium and tweak Xfce panels, that's it. It froze within the first 5 minutes when I was tweaking panels. The clock in the panel would crash if I tried to change the format. And Chromium, They disabled the use of extensions except the 3 bullshit ones they shipped it with. I fixed it but still. Overall everything is pointlessly flavored and patched. Arch is proof that vanilla packages can work together fine.

Debian is garbage.

Can a 32 bit distro burn an ISO for a 64 bit OS?

Asshurt archfag beta(tester) confirmed

Yes.

>program doesn't work
>blame distro
epic

>Because systemd is modular and it has an init system component.
It's modular to the point that you need 42 out of 69 binaries. Which isn't even modular by definition. By a simple definition maybe but not the full one.

is modular a meme?

didn't mean that; there are multiple ways of installing a DE, just the core-utils or the full blown package with all the stuff. I don't know which one chooses the installer. You can uninstall, reinstall and install whatever you like afterwards

Well, you obviously can, but it's a desktop installation with many packages, not a small server or a small embedded box. It doesn't seem reasonable to me; you need to be aware of multiple possible broken dependencies and it's a tedious process for someone that doesn't want to bother with it.

literally

>But umm. I really hate when I need a new thing and it's not in the repo

>If it happens something didn't work out for you but it actually did for others maybe you should think twice about the issue and where did it stem from.

Can your brain come up with any actual thoughts instead of the same stock response and an image? Obviously not, because otherwise you would have understood the tone of my post.
A normal and not retarded person would understand that downstream distributions serve no purpose. Arch isn't the only distribution which has idiotic downstream leeches. I suggest you familiarize yourself with some basic knowledge about the topic you're posting about.

Go sniff a floppy dick

>I am a normal and not retarded person
lmao then why are you on Sup Forums of all places arguing with strangers about your beloved distribution?

I see you have realized that you have no real argument and are resorting to more assumptions.
Why do you assume I love Arch or even use it? It doesn't change anything. You seem to be obsessed with Arch or Manjaro, because you only point out my posts where I call Manjaro retarded. It is retarded.
I don't see you making such a baseless and wrong fuss when I call Korora, Bunsenlabs or Peppermint Os retarded. I suggest your kill yourself or go to the Manjaro forums if you need a hugbox.

Why do archfags suffer from dangerous levels of faggoyry?

Is there a way to create a .desktop file, and make so that this desktop shortcut has no name at all, not even the path? I want only the icons to appear on the desktop, nothing much else.

I thought 32 bit couldn't read 64 bit files. Or was it just for launching executables.

can run 64 bit binaries, has nothing to do with the data

give it a newline character \n or tab character \t as a name or something

I assume you want it because it looks better. In that case, you have the wrong approach. Look if there's an option for the desktop icon program you use to hide the names. Don't mess with the .desktop files, mess with the program displaying them.

I was told you cannot run a 64 bit program on a 32 bit OS

Oh you mean a DE (desktop environment..?) with the installer instead of CLI installer. And the DE for the installer can be different than what the OS actually uses.

Stop replying to trolls stupid fuck you're ruining these threads

Not you at

yeah I meant can't, sorry.

you can manipulate any data you can read/write, has nothing to do with the OS bit version

Okay, I can copy, move, burn, etc 64 bit stuff on a 32 bit OS I just can't run it. Got it.

I have a problem that is driving me nuts.

I installed Fedora on my MacBook pro, and whenever I put it to sleep or hibernate, it immediately wakes up.

Where do I start in troubleshooting? I can't ever take my computer around in my backpack because it will run warm (closing the lid only causes it to sleep and then imediately rewake), so I am sort of desperate.

Are you schizophrenic?
I dont think thats a problem since I create the desktop files myself. Im running the latest version of LXDE and I didnt find an option for that.
I had forgotten about this. This worked. Have some gold

>Why do archfags suffer from dangerous levels of faggoyry?
anime.

Any cutie trap arch users post pics, btw.

Are you by chance using the Transmission torrent client?

I had the same problem back in the day when I was using it and it also was driving me nuts. Transmission has an option to "prevent the machine from going to sleep or hibernating".

Is kali linux a useful distro for basic compiling on top of using it to test exploits on my main machine?

I plan on running it from a netbook to test my houses net security.

kali is too mainstream, use blackarch

kali linux is a distribution supposed to be used as a livecd

You mean bootable usb.

it's starting to get a little messy, let me rewrite what I was trying to say

> There any reason why I wouldn't start with a desktop environment, then replace its desktop with KDE from there?

tl;dr not really, if you want a certain desktop environment just go with it

If you're running a random distro you often have at least two choices to install a desktop environment. A "core" package that only has the bare minimum to run the desktop environment and a "full-desktop" package, that also has a bunch of extra apps and services apart from that minimum installation. The installation medium of *random distro* might use one or another. You can remove or install whatever you like afterwards, anyway. You can't remove the core apps and services of the desktop environment, even though you can install alternatives and use them instead of the "official" one. You can use nautilus (gnome) instead of dolphin (kde) in KDE. Or firefox instead of konqueror (kde).

It's literally debian (unstable), but with its own repository and a lot of extra tools.
You can use it like you want. You just have to be root to use the extra tools.
Use the liveCD in a virtualbox, so you have an amnesiac kali in your daily kali.

/proc/acpi/wakeup

should tell you what devices can cause wakeup

otherwise, check journalctl after it happens, something should be there

GCC needs to be rewritten from scratch. It's so painfully bloated it's not even funny

who gives a shit.
it's the performance of the produced binaries that count.

how can clang boys even compete

GCC lards ladies and gentlemen

Hm. That makes it sound like I can't use GTK with KDE. Why is that? Can't you use GTK on top of windows shit in Windows?

well you can but you'll have a bunch of excess dependencies for only a few programs and basically all gtk programs have either a qt build or an equivalent program

That's sort of hilarious, but no I'm not using it.

Will try it out and report back.

GTK is a toolkit for creating GUI applications. KDE is based on Qt and I guess it renders better Qt based than GTK apps, but don't quote me on that because I don't have any solid idea about this.

Both gnome and KDE work alright with wx, qt, gtk and what not, AFAIK. You have multiple tools to work the theming of gtk/qt, I remember using lxappearance or something like that when I was using i3.

Excess dependencies is not a problem unless you're trying to run on a 512mb of RAM 1ghz machine, no?
Like Windows is full of so many excess dependencies.

Alright ,thanks.
You guys have been way more helpful than I expected.

I now tried hibernating, and it immediately woke up. Running journalctl -n I get

Apr 13 20:28:54 localhost.localdomain audit[4930]: USER_AUTH pid=4930 uid=1000 auid=1000 ses=2 s
Apr 13 20:28:54 localhost.localdomain kwin_x11[1482]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow),
Apr 13 20:28:54 localhost.localdomain kwin_x11[1482]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow),
Apr 13 20:28:55 localhost.localdomain wpa_supplicant[1026]: wlp3s0: Trying to associate with SSI
Apr 13 20:28:55 localhost.localdomain NetworkManager[947]: [1492108135.4174] device (wlp

(sorry that some of it got clipped out)

In my /proc/acpi/wakeup file I have

Device S-state Status Sysfs node
PEG0 S3 *disabled
EC S4 *disabled platform:PNP0C09:00
HDEF S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1b.0
RP01 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.0
RP02 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.1
RP03 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.2
ARPT S4 *enabled pci:0000:03:00.0
RP05 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.4
RP06 S3 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.5
SPIT S3 *disabled
XHC1 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:14.0
ADP1 S4 *disabled platform:ACPI0003:00
LID0 S4 *enabled platform:PNP0C0D:00

I don't know what to make of this.

the only other issue is you'll have to manually tweak the appearance to match the rest of your theming if you're aestheticfag

What are some cool terminal commands?

cowsay

>not modding cowsay to darkwingduck
pleb
also fortune

curl wttr.in/hereyouputyourplace?lang=hereyouputyourlanguage
>so you have the weather
fuck
>you have to install thefuck but it's cool and usefull sometimes

XHC1 is a USB hub, and it's allowed to wake your pc

echo XHC1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

:(){ :|: & };: