Optical Drives

Everyone shits on them, but for the few of us who actually enjoy watching our physical movie collection, or play retro games that only ever were released on discs, what is top of the line these days?

Need something that can read and write Blu-Ray, DVD, and CD and is relatively quiet.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Blu-Ray-Burners/SubCategory/ID-600?Order=RATING
walmart.com/ip/LG-GP65NS60-Disk-drive-DVDRW-R-DL-DVD-RAM-8x-8x-5x-USB-2.0-external-silver/42491483
microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>relatively quiet
Doesn't exist. They're all noisy.

relatively, m8

newegg.com/Blu-Ray-Burners/SubCategory/ID-600?Order=RATING

Slim slot loads are quieter. They don't have huge read/write speeds and the disc spins slower being slim and slot loaded.

> write Blu-Ray, DVD, and CD

why are you trying to make this hard on yourself ?
Not like you have a lot of choice, just get some BR drive and call it a day.

A lot of these are OEM and don't include software. Are there any that include the software and can at least read the three types?

What software are you talking about? Just download a 3rd party burner and that's it. I recommend CDBurnerXP because it's free (as in free beer) and has official portable version.

For reads.

Why would you need any further software than an OS for reading discs?

>BR drives
>launched in 2006
>still >$50
>4k BR drives will be even more expensive

Seriously, what are they thinking? Do manufacturers really want this technology to flop so badly?

I personally use the samsung portable BD-DL RW.
The best part is that if you hold the eject button, it goes into 'android mode' which basically shows the disk drive as a flash drive (read only), and you can read discs on an android device. Very quiet, and although it does include some software, I prefer 3rd party programs.

AnyDvD to decrypt and then any media player to play it, DvDFab to rip discs (including BluRay) and just plain Nero for general burning

>put it disc
>BRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

why are betas so triggered by noise?

I'm looking for a cheap optical drive to burn PSX games with. Any recommendations?

some cheap shit like this should suffice.

walmart.com/ip/LG-GP65NS60-Disk-drive-DVDRW-R-DL-DVD-RAM-8x-8x-5x-USB-2.0-external-silver/42491483

>why are betas so triggered by noise?
Perhaps they have learned to associate it with low quality hardware.

>for the few of us who actually enjoy watching our physical movie collection

Torrent down the bluray rip of your BR disc and enjoy it from HD.

There's no reason to own optical drives anymore, unless you are the one ripping your discs in the first place. I do that often, but even for me it was simpler to get an external drive (and lucked into a Plextor 700 one at that).

Kind of hijacking your thread OP

Is there a modern alternative to lightscribe? It was fun and cheap, now it seems that the CDs are out of production, and what is left if getting really fucking expensive. I ain't falling for the inkjet printer meme again.

Ok so everyone hates on optical drives, but how the FUCK do you even install windows without one?

Also sometimes I get drivers on a disk and I don't want to look for them online... It's just good to have the option, no?

USB Drive.
microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Rufus and a USB drive. Or Unetbootin if you're running Loonix.

>Ok so everyone hates on optical drives, but how the FUCK do you even install windows without one?

Use a Jump Drive my dude

>Jump Drive

>want to enjoy our physical collections
>just stop having a physical collection
Fuck off.

CD-RW
LASERDISC-RW
DVD-RW
BD-RE

Fucking thanks Sony for ruining this fucking consistency
Nevermind the fact dual layer rewritables don't exist, but no just change it to RE, people will accept it without question

Fuck

BD is proprietary and requires a licensed software to be able to run it.

Best you can do is rip it and turn it into an .mkv or something and then just watch that in VLC.

I'm glad that BD is available for about 1 buck(in my currency) at my local rental shops.