/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3, i5, and R7 aren't worthwhile for regular consumers. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 8GB, RX480 8GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games, it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/vkjBJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJLKRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/tXjKRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/LncPNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming/index.asp
pcpartpicker.com/list/BK6jCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/Qf3MgL
scan.co.uk/products/32gb-(2x16gb)-corsair-ddr4-vengeance-lpx-black-pc4-24000-(3000)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-17-17-35-x
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RZ3MgL
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3MbDFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/6wKR6X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this a competent Ryzen 5 build? pcpartpicker.com/list/vkjBJV
Yes i understand, Win10 is for stupid goyim, the botent, etc etc. I would love to use Win 7, but i want constant updates and compatibility.

Second for ryzen master race. Corelets pls go and stay go.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZJLKRG

How is this build? Need suggestions for a good case as well.

Why do you need a wireless card?

Sandisk is kill. Get PNY or Mushkin or stick with Samsung/Crucial. Avoid Kingston.

You honestly shouldn't be getting the 1600X. Just get a 1600 and OC it. Comes with a pretty nice cooler too. At your price range I would go for a B350 mobo as well. Maybe a Gigabyte one. Everything else seems good but I would get a different RAM model but that's just for aesthetics.

Build seems perfectly fine to me. Only thing you may want to do is weight the pros and cons of purchasing a 1600x+aftermarket cooler vs a R7 1700+ the included Wraith Spire cooler.

Any particular budget?

>is kill
Overkill? Or bad? Explain por favor. I just got the cheapest ssd i could find that sounded like it was from a reputable manufacturer

Because computers don't come with wifi.
Around $1000 to $1100

>the included Wraith Spire cooler.
Is the cooler actually any good or is it like Intel's shit? Also if it's pushpins avoid it like the plague.

Nah. I went over the average temps of the spire and the max, and it seems to do sorse than the NH-U12, which is worse than the H7.

IMO
Go for a B350 mobo instead, going for 1600 instead of x version can be considered too (1600x has a guarantee for good overclocks though).

The ram I have no idea.
At the moment, it appears dual rank memory is your best bang for buck. Finding something 2667 dual rank would be a better buy, but if there's better ram compatability down the line, the rams you picked may be ok (as for now, they will not run at 3200mhz).

I can't point you two double rank ones, because I don't know which ones are, and I can't be bothered to put in the effort to find ones right now.

>Because computers don't come with wifi.
They do, at least on the more expensive side.

Am I stupid for doing this?

Basically a while back I bought a used AMD CPU+Mainboard+Cooler from Ebay and the guy screwed me and send me a short circuited parts (got it confirmed by a pc shop).

Now I just want a fucking PC to play for little money, it's apparently going to bottleneck my RX470 but I don't have 100€ left for an i5 and I don't even own a fucking full hd TV, just 720p. I JUST WANT A FUCKING PC OK

Or should I fall for the Ryzen meme? Just not really into AMD after the whole incident, also 1151 seems set for the future with Cannonlake.

I cant really speak for the 1700 but my 1600 is running perfectly fine at 3.7 with the included cooler.

Price is not worth it.

Check that compatibility issue with the cooler's mounting brackets.

did you get a refund on the short circuit parts

>buying shit from Ebay without knowing who to go to in the used PC parts scene
Don't ever do this.

Also, that i3 is shit. Go for Ryzen if you're going budget. It's practically a cheap Ivy Bridge but with updated instruction sets and modern hardware support.

AMD is more set for the future, as they'll most likely keep AM4 for at least 3 years.
If you don't mind spending more money right now, AMD 1600 is a good pick, as it should last you a good while.

G4560 is a better buy than 6100, but you must buy a b250 mobo for it to work. Pick this if you want a cheap route, but one that will not last that long.

I would rather not go Intel at my price range, but thanks for letting me know.

>1151 seems set for the future
1151 is a dead socket now that we know the X series of chips will be using LGA 2066.

It was this weird thing where you're actually meant to personally bring it over, don't know how it's called in english ebay "kleinanzeigen" in german, but many people use it for normal mailing. The guys intent was to screw me over.

Just found out Ryzen is already out, yeah no, that's to much money. I want something for 100€, they start at 200€.

It's supposedly really good.

As long as you don't OC too much, it'll do well, supposedly not super loud either.

NOOOOOOOO

>Just found out Ryzen is already out, yeah no, that's to much money.
Get the really cheap two core Intel pentium with hyperthreading then.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tXjKRG
Remove your aftermarket cpu cooler if you arent overclocking.

>compatibility issue
Source?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/LncPNN
Here is my $870 huge-dick-value build.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/f9cNjc
Someone posted this in the last thread which is really good, too.

If anyone is looking to make a 1600 system for cheap, you should probably start with either of those.

3.9 at 1.352v? Nice if that's actually stable and not just CPU-Z stable.

imo you're spending a lot of money while only having an SSD that won't fit much more than your OS.

I'd stretch your budget out more, or drop the 1070 to a cheaper GPU to get a better SSD instead.

Get a less garbage motherboard.
You could get one with wireless on it and forget the wireless card, too.

>too small ssd
Alright. I doubled the size, since my budget IS $1500

As hilarious as 4cores is on a 2000+ pins LGA, the even more hilarious thing to me is that it only has 16 fucking PCIe3.0 lanes.

Maybe Intel will surprise and the motherboards will be $125 instead of $250, and the CPU will be $250 instead of $340. But it's still so fucking stupid.

I think you replied to the wrong person.

Which AM4 mobo has built in wifi?

FYI i'm selling my PC for a new R5 1600 build in Göttingen, specs are:
>i7 870
>4x4 GB DDR3 1600, 2x ADATA XPG and Crucial Ballistix Sport
>XFX RX 470 RS Black Edition
>1TB Hitachi/HGST 7K1000
I'd sell the GPU only after RX500 launch, it's the only i have around currently.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/LncPNN

asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming/index.asp

whoops didn't mean to quote build

pcpartpicker.com/list/BK6jCy

Here's my build.

Hopefully when this is all together I'll have a nice black and white motif and then I can ruin it with some dumb LEDs.

In addition to these
The ASUS Crosshair VI Hero and ASRock X370 Taichi also have built-in wifi.

The Taichi is also the board to get for AM4 right now.

Why a windowed case when the non-window versions with sound absorbing foam are an absolute comfort to the ears?

>X370
>$150 mobo
No thanks

nope. talking to the right person. talking about the build.
then just get a b350

Yeah that's why I said those with built-in wifi are more expensive.

So I can look inside at my dumb LEDs.

Plus nonwindowed is more expensive by like $50 last time i checked. The windowed are only that low for a good sale.

I figure if it sucks ass I can just swap the panel in the future.

Go to newegg and you can filter for wifi, if pcpartspicker doesn't also have that.

That's a REALLY good one for having built in wifi. A lot of them are crap.

Yeah, too small SSD, as others have said.

120gb... 30-40gb goes to windows, 12 gb has to be freed, that leaves you with 68-78gb for games.
Which is like 2 larger games.

250gb+ or nothing imo.

120gb is only good for linux
windows needs like 500gb because goymes, temp files, and paging files eat up space like a hambeast

someone remake the moar cores with moar chipsets

is this better? cant get any higher with my budget. pcpartpicker.com/list/Qf3MgL

Only noctua tier coolers would give a decent upgrade over the stock 1700 cooler. Or a watercooler.

The H7 is pretty wasteful honestly.

>The H7 is pretty wasteful honestly.
For a 1600X? No it's not. That's on the top end of what you ought to use.

Looks fine. I'd just worry about spending so much on the 1070 only for Vega to shame it.

You just have a 1080p 75hz monitor. An RX480 or even RX470 would be more than good enough.
Just save that money and apply it to an upgrade later.
Or if you have a left over GPU, use that for now and see how Vega is and if 1070 price drops or if you want Vega.

I am, which then means I nesd to get a wifi card.
Will do, thanks.

Why is my motherboard so hot?

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/64zw20/am4_motherboards_list_041217/
Lists motherboard VRM phases.

3 is too little for the first phase (CPU) and should be run for stock 65w TDP chips only. 4 for 95w TDP ones. 6 is as more or more than anyone will need for a 1.4v overclock, if not 5 really.
Some boards have way more than that. That's basically for LN2 and shit, though it certainly doesn't hurt and can help with smoother power delivery which means less overvolting, IIRC.

Are you using an AIO?

Make your rear fan blow on it instead of pull out.

it has better thermals than the NH-U12S

need more housefire tech

been a long time since i used paint.
kek

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($307.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $111.87)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart M 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)

I'm mostly using it for gaming, homework, and movies, in that order. Using that PSU because I dug it up in my basement. The Taichi might be overkill but I picked it just because B350 boards are relatively expensive in Canada and it seems to be a safe choice for OCing and ram compatability. plis help

Had no signal on the screen, took it apart and added pieces at a time, GPU fans won't budge so it presumably died even though it worked fine yesterday.

On the other hand I was planning on moving to a new rig soon-ish, which meant new mobo, ram... basically everything. I think I could still have use for this though instead of mothballing it, so I was thinking of getting a cheap second hand gpu for it in the meantime. Thoughts?

>Canadian prices
nope, nope, nope nope nope

you could at least make a pcpartpciker list, so i can easily make it American currency (AKA the dollar, AKA everyone (who doesnt live in America)'s dream currency

Not him, but this is what I meant by the H7 being overly good for it.
You don't need $80-$150 coolers like Intel to get 50mhz under the wall.
An H7 is only $35 so why not buy it?

Personally I got the C1 because it's just so sexy and helps cool VRM and RAM as well.
Most of these Ryzen boards have good VRMs but their heatsinks are usually not good enough on the cheap ones.

Holy shit. You pay 60% more for that motherboard than the US. It's $190 here.
At least the RAM isn't too terrible by comparison but it looks like they're seriously price gouging those boards there.

To be fair, the 1950X is going to have higher TDP than those. 180W most likely.
But it'll also have double the multithreading performance as Intel's 10 core, so.

Does that case come with fans? like 3 of them?

Still, I think you should go with a B350 mobo instead, and possibly opt to use a r5 1600 instead (if you're gonna buy a aftermarket cooler anyway, it's not a big deal, as you get a better binned chip).
Your SSD is fine, you may consider going with Crucial MX300, just for the larger size, and therefore longer lifespan.
The HDD seem fishy... $64 for a 3TB disk? That HDD is probably intended for different use than desktop. If it's enterprise HDD, it'll be LOUD, like give off the same loudness as the HDDs did 10 years ago. To be on the safe side, consider a WD blue (I think, the 7200rpm one anyway).

its a refurbished HGST enterprise HDD.

Not everyone wants the 1600 non-X, user.

Some people really want that 100-200mhz more OC potential. Or they don't want to overclock, and want to have good performance stock.
1600 pretty much requires an overclock if you're not GPU bottlenecked and want the real big dick perf/$.

I dunno why so much of /pcbg/ assumes everyone will be proficient at overclocking and shit. Overclocking CPU is way more of a pain than GPU, even if it's easier than usual on Ryzen.

What do you guys think of this RAM sale, apart from the completely ridiculous and stupid amount of memory?
scan.co.uk/products/32gb-(2x16gb)-corsair-ddr4-vengeance-lpx-black-pc4-24000-(3000)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-15-17-17-35-x

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RZ3MgL

Would be better to grab a 16 gig kit with better CAS.

Ryzen cares little about CL compared to frequency, for the most part.
Even CL18 is fine.

It's okay. I've seen better prices in the US 2 months ago, which are similar to UK. Maybe shit's gone up.
You used to be able to get 2x16GB G.Skill CL15 3000 for like $190-$210.

If you need 2x16GB, you probably don't need fast RAM for what you're doing and should just get 2400.

so I fucked up a flash drive of mine and made it RAW. is EaseUS Data Recovery the best thing out there to save my files? To save em all, it costs $70 for the pro upgrade...

what do you need help with? peripherals? monitor? this build looks okay, i just got you a cheaper RAM set. it still has samsung chips, so it should still run 3200 fine on Ryzen. ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3MbDFd

well shit. canada wins one. i just realized the trident z is cheaper than the ripjaws v in canada. goddamn you canada

Giant retard here. Looking for a cheap gaming PC, and laptopscribes recommends the Dell Inspiron 7559, which is super cheap at $670. But after looking at other places, I found a very similar laptop in the same series for $850 that also had good reviews, only difference being:

>Intel Core i5-7300HQ compared to i5 6300HQ
>Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti compared to GTX 960M

Is the difference worth the extra $200? Should I stick with the one on laptopscribes?

[spoiler]also, how bad is using your laptop on your bed[/spoiler]

I'm fine with peripherals, I just meant the components themselves. Not sure if the Taichi is worth 50% more than other x370 boards. Also, the TridentZ memory I have is $50 off right now, so it's cheaper at $160 CAD.

Jesus. You can make a 3x more powerful PC for $870.

But ya I guess it's okay.

gonna be a student so I'm going to need that laptop

should I go with the cheaper one? Is the extra $200 worth it for a better processor/GPU?

also do spoilers not work on Sup Forums or what

Get a used thinkpad for 200 bucks and make yourself a desktop PC in parallel is what I'd do.

dealing with storing a PC, moving it from school/home, in addition to the fact I'm going to be on my laptop 90% of the time with not too much time for gaming, makes me extremely hesitant to drop money on a PC

You do not want to be carrying around a giant, heavy laptop all day every day. ThinkPad X series is what you want for school.

the dell one is cheap and light which is one of the reasons I'm so interested in it

plz, I am not interested in dropping money on a PC I won't have time for, just want some advice on which laptop to get

Ok Sup Forums, I've decided on an R5 1600 build, but make sure to suggest if you disagree.

USAGE:
>Work (software development, compiling code, some VM usage, some office apps usage)
>Occasional video compression
>Games at 1440p @ 120hz (I'm happy with 80-90 frame-rates)

1) I plan to OC, hopefully to 4.0Ghz. Do the 1600 generally allow this? Am I better off spending a few more for the 1600X?

2) Is the cooler included with the 1600 good enough for this? I don't mind running a bit hot, as long as it's inside AMD's safe temps I don't care.

3) Are the B350 boards good enough for the OC task? I don't really plan on using the premium features of the X370 chip.
Will I be fucked later 2 or 3 generations from now and find out only the X370 boards are compatible with the new chips and not the B350?
Please advise what boards are recommendable and what to keep away from. I plan on using 3200Mhz RAM.

4) I have no idea what RAM to get. Should I just check the mobo list of compatible RAM and get the cheapest?

go with a bigger HDD if this is all your budget allows
Or, free up some money by getting rid of that razer mouse and put it towards more space

>Am I better off spending a few more for the 1600X
Purchasing a 1600x along with an H7 cooler is probably your best bet.

> Is the cooler included with the 1600 good enough for this?
The 1600 will struggle to get up past 3.7 on the included cooler.

>Are the B350 boards good enough for the OC task?
A decent b350 board should be good enough.

>I have no idea what RAM to get.
Purchase 3000+MHz ddr4 memory. Make sure to check your chosen motherboards compatibility list before purchasing though.

I've got a 802.11n wifi adapter from an old build and wondering if upgrading it is worth it or not for my new build. New router does AC but it's just a 75Mbps connection from Comcast. Would upgrading to AC only matter if I had a much faster connection?

Well a 470 block the pciex1 on my mATX mobo? Do they normally make them with double wide gpu in mind?

fucking disgusting how spics look like potatoes

Going to build this machine eventually (rx580 instead of 480 obviously). Anything you would change?

>The 1600 will struggle to get up past 3.7 on the included cooler.
Any aggregated info on this somewhere on the internet?

Fuck you man. Im mexican. Theres a didference between white Hispanics and real beaners

>network adapter on a mobo with wifi/bluetooth
>buying a refresh of a refresh of a refresh of a refresh

I haven't built a PC in a long time and didn't even consider that mobos came with wifi now lmao

I would opt for a 500gb SSD, you want those quick load times in games. And recently, installed game sizes are growing quite fast, some more than 50GB.
Also, are you sure the CPU cooler will fit the case?

Other than that it looks fine.

Not many, but usually any of the top tier chipset mobos that cost over $150 have onboard wifi and bluetooth (ex: asus strix z270, asrock taichi X370)

>white Hispanics

yes, a white Hispanic. basically not a fucking nigger or asian. can probably trace my ancestry to spain if i got a dna test.

Think I finally figured out my build. Tell me if I've fucked up on anything.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6wKR6X

>$100 keyboard
why
>mobo is called SLI killer when you aren't even using crossfire.