We're tired of shitty discussion forums such as reddit and BBSs such as Sup Forums...

We're tired of shitty discussion forums such as reddit and BBSs such as Sup Forums. We're also tired of the dozens of sites that try to become "the next Sup Forums" by including features that are absolutely shit in hopes of appealing to more users.

We're currently creating a new site that is going to try to not be shit. It will be easily customizable, fast, have an API, and built by someone who didn't just finish their first lesson on programming.

To ensure it's not shit, we want to get your opinions: What kind of features do you want to see? How would you use an anonymous discussion platform? How would you improve Sup Forums as a whole?

Other urls found in this thread:

heiho.net/bbs100/
iomha.eu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's only one thing to add:
Anti-shitposting filters Integrated

Browsable and postable in puretext, either through a text browser or ssh.

This is something we're doing. It's going to be browsable and usable without css and javascript.

this thread deserves a bump
make sure we can post anonymously

I want anti-nonshitposting filters

Of course. But we're also considering having some sort of optional user system, but we're not sure about that yet.

encrypted threads to keep the normies confused and only allow people to access whose been a faggot since the begging this ill ensure shills and kikes wont sabotage threads

each oldfag as an encrypted key to access the oldfags threads

also allow threads to be accessed by encrpyted key for one time use

Interesting idea, but if we were to implement something like that, the keys would surely be leaked

>wanting online circle jerks

dont allow only one key use
each thread has its own keys

fuck off its better to have secret club then a fuck fest

So yet another imageboard, forum, reddit or hn-like as a four second year CS students project?

Then what are you doing here?
Go to one of the myriad irc channels and get a link to a site visited by 15 other people.

>We
whos we, faggot? you and your mom?
dont like it, move along

I really miss forums pre social media. 1998 - 2004 was comfy

What we have now is more like an imageboard, with boards, threads, and replies. We haven't decided yet if we want nested replies.

The team I am working on to create this, which surprisingly doesn't consist of me and my mom.

What's wrong with reddit, Sup Forums, hn?

just clearly define what topics are to be discussed, posting rules and enforce strict moderation
remove shills and people asking questions without reading stickies

>We're currently creating a new site that is going to try to not be shit. It will be easily customizable, fast, have an API, and built by someone who didn't just finish their first lesson on programming.

I wonder how this will go?

Please don't include a voting feature of any kind (other than sage/report if you want to include those into that). Voting generally undermines free speech and creates a hivemind mentality, because as seen on Reddit, people vote on posts/threads according to their own agreement/disagreement and not according to relevance. It also discourages critical thinking.

As an improvement over Sup Forums, I'd like people to be able to post other files than images/videos such as mp3s or torrents.

Reddit is pure shit, don't think I need to explain this one.

Sup Forums is at most "fine", but it's messy and is missing a lot of features to optimize it for discussion. Using Sup Forums X is almost a necessity, as well as creating your own stylesheet to make it not look like trash (or using something like OneeChan).

HN is also fine, but that's not the kind of discussion platform we're aiming to create.

We agree, we're not planning on including any voting.

As for the files suggestion, we also want to include the option for OP to decide what file types can be attached to replies, as we think that could come in handy. (As well as perhaps letting OP decide if replies must have a file attached)

Post github.

It is going to be a free open source software project, right?

> enter your email address / password
I've abandoned half the web over this shit. I got up to, maybe 500 site sign-ons and just said fuck it.
It's OK OP. I know you've programmed that in. I know you've rationalised it because you don't know any better. But sorry, I've reached my limit, and I don't care.

Pic related. This is what I see when I go to the biggest site on the web. And I walk away. Have been doing so for all the current major sites for at least 5-6 years now.

>, fast
It's won't be OP. It will use react or whatever and pile on the css and javascript and refresh itself 3 time during pageload or put up some rotating timer icon that itself required about 300kb of downloaded material. I'm sorry but your mind, like that of all web designers has been polluted and destroyed by the glut of bandwidth and CPU power, flat design, and mobile-first. I am sorry for your lots.

read the thread faggot. he said registration will maybe be an OPTION, also, a pure text view will be available.

what he says

Eventually

Creating a user is not necessary to use or interact with the site, it's for those who would like the features that having a user brings.

>It will use react or whatever and pile on the css and javascript and refresh itself 3 time during pageload
Fuck no.

>flat design, and mobile-first
No.

I see your point, but if all the available options are bad (which they are), then creating something new - that strays away from what makes the other options shit, and tries to be better - is justified.

meant to reply to

>We're currently creating a new site that is going to try to not be shit. It will be easily customizable, fast, have an API, and built by someone who didn't just finish their first lesson on programming.

>implying anyone cares about all that shit

People visit reddit and Sup Forums because other people visit reddit and Sup Forums. How do you plan to attract visitors to your site?

With superior memes!

It'll likely be a gradual process. There are many users from both Sup Forums and reddit that want something better and are always looking for that. Once they find that, they'll obviously want it to succeed. I think if people just see that the site isn't dead and it's not shit, they'll want to use it.

There's also the fact that it will be new, and people will have a big say with regards to what direction the site will move in and help decide what needs changing. Having the power to change something usually keeps people interested.

Let\s reverse the question then. What makes the other options bad? If you know why the other systems are shit then you know what needs to be changed.

Else you just want your own pet project instead of helping a community made one. That is understandable as long as you can develop it and keep it alive on your own. If you cannot, don't expect others to make it good for you.

You could have the greatest site in the world, if he has no userbase/community it might as well be the worst.

webms with sound
no recompression on uploads

I've talked a little bit about it here: We're not expecting people to make it good for us. We're creating something both we want to use, and something which we think others will want to use. The development of the project will keep going on its own, however opinions from the community are valued and will influence the development.

That goes without saying as it is a user-driven site, however we're confident that if we present a great site, people will use it and it will grow.

Noted. It's part of what I talked about here:

>That goes without saying as it is a user-driven site, however we're confident that if we present a great site, people will use it and it will grow.
Well, I wish you luck, Sup Forums is ready to die, but trying to take its userbase at this point is like trying to overthrow facebook

Just make a traditional BBS with this:
heiho.net/bbs100/

Thank you

If you do this, please implement protection against normies signing up. No niggers, kikes, shitskins, sjws, mudslimes or cumdumpsters. Maybe you could implement attaching 23andme cert in signup process, and looking at e.g. muhammad willingly fucking a pig etc..

Well when this thread gets GG'ed where can we find more infomation and follow with this site you are creating?

an imageboard is a filesystem

special snowflake just can't create a fake fb account to login with it everywhere

Highly active with copious, quality content.

Good luck though, it depends entirely on the active population of the site.

>complain about Sup Forums
>want user system
Into the trash.

We'll post again on Sup Forums sometime in the future with this tripcode, so you can search archives to see if there's an update.

Thank you

I'm guessing you haven't read the thread

A hidden vote system that uses a proportional percentage vote to eradicate shitposters. So, let's say a shitposter appears in a thread with X amount of replies, if Y amount of anons vote to delet, the shitpost disappears. No bans, no mods, just peace and harmony dictated by the anons in the thread. Basically, each thread becomes it's own self-policing microcosm.

>Basically, each thread becomes it's own self-policing microcosm.

That's how you get a nice echo chamber, just like leddit!

Don't include a politics board.

The problem with this is that it wont be used only to eradicate shitposters. Unpopular opinions will be deleted. Who defines whats shitpost and what isnt?

>what kind of features do you want to see
How about some kind of system to upvote/downvote specific posts to control what ends up on page 1?

Content and how it is managed is more important than any other feature you can implement.

As long as you can find a way to engage the userbase your catering to then that's all you need

It won't be like Leddit though, there should be no upvote system. Most anons have some level of self control and can accept legitimate differences of opinion. My idea is only to prevent threads from derailing into nonsense. Why should a thread die because of some triggered jackass want's to spam it into oblivion? Threads should only die due to lack of interest, not because of derailment and or janitor intervention.

Op is trying to be the next kimo.

>Who defines whats shitpost and what isnt?
Some cirklejerk clique on some IRQ channel presumably?

Simple, give the option to OP mark if in his thread shitposting is allowed or not.

Peer-to-peer

Content never hosted on the servers, but rather seeded. Furthermore, like said earlier in the thread, all content should be encrypted.

I can't even count how many clones of these sites have been created and galled on my 2 hands.
I have 1000 fingers on each hand.

BBS is pure, fuck you

>We're tired of shitty discussion forums such as reddit and BBSs such as Sup Forums.
The issues with these sites is completely unrelated to the features/apis/whatever bullshit they do or do not have. The only feature worth having is a good community.

vp9, larger upload sizes

>clones
We're not creating a clone.

Those features are what brings in users, though, and is what keeps them there. Having a great community with a shitty site is pathetic.

Noted.

>we're going to build a non-shit Sup Forums
>we have everything figured out
>QUICK, TELL ME THE FEATURES YOU THINK IS ESSENTIAL FOR THAT TO HAPPEN

Sorry already exists, iomha.eu

NO USER NAMES

Since you appear to be too retarded to read the thread, let me repeat myself:

We have everything that is *essential* for the site, we are simply asking what kind of features people want/don't want, so we can take those into consideration as we further develop the site.

That's fucking disgusting.

What we have right now is an option for registered users to select whether or not they want to display their username. This will most likely receive changes in the future.

OP, do you already know about 8ch?

Nah you're the retard here. You think it's technology behind the site that matters. It's evident that you think technological features are the essence of these websites. You literally don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Seriously how fucking new are you? Your little project isn't going to go anywhere kiddo.

>option for registered users to select whether or not they want to display their username.
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

>registered users
>display their username

Congratulations on inventing reddit but shitter.

What about it?

>You think it's technology behind the site that matters. It's evident that you think technological features are the essence of these websites.
It's pretty clear you haven't read a single thing I've posted. If you have, you would understand that this is not what we think.

We're creating a site that's easy to use with features people actually want and care about. The community will be the essence of the site, but for there to be a community, there needs to be a site that is capable of having one, which does need enjoyable """technological features""".

>This will most likely receive changes in the future.

>registered users
>name tags
Oh god no

So you're recreating Sup Forums, with a lot of special snowflake features added. Yawn.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Active mods that publicly ban users.

And also this idea I have been wanting to see it realised for a long time: an active part. Do you see all this empty space on the right? It could be used for a chat / minigames.
The chat would support image that expand when clicked on, webms with sound, gifs etc.

>but user there is already discord
fug off, some people don't use discord because they're not at home, and alt-tabbing constantly is annoying. Also a lot of people just don't want to bother installing it.

The minigames could include: a giant canvas like /r/place, pictionnary.

Another active feature could be: Memestream (tm) (c) : Are you working / reading mails / doing anything but browsing Sup Forums ? Do you still want to see the freshest memes, in real time? Then open Memestream (tm) in your 2nd monitor, streaming the highest voted images of the imageboard ! The number of votes would be displayed under the image.

>minigames.

User board creation. Decentralized. Empower the administrators and the moderators.
Excellent.

Also, can I get a link to your GitHub or similar repo?

>User board creation.

cripple chan proved that while good in theory is horrible in practice, leading to massive fragmentation of the userbase.

>Decentralized

Nice joke.

When can we get a "sneak peek"?

>while good in theory is horrible in practice
wrong, 8ch is an incredible community.
>decentralized = joke
wrong, see NNTPChan

Scrap user system per se.

If people want to authenticate themselves they can use pair of certs. Or any other method.

Like calculating md4 hash of next message before posting it.

I think a good idea would be to set up a democratic system that would vote in internet-politicians, like a president would be the admin, who would be in charge of different ministers (for example meme-minister, minster of economy etc.)

Also there would be ambassadors from different websites like reddit and Sup Forums.

Honest to god answer? Robot9000. Enforced originality or bust.

Linked posts.

Scrap ordered structure of board/Thread /post

Display board as whole, with visual links to referenced posts.

Only display post without parent reference on catalogue.

Limit folks to one post without parent per day per IP.

Whole board would be a giant thread. Allow tagging posts without parent, it would make it easier to find similar threads and link them in one network.

(really small) micropayments for each post.

BTC or ETH.

Why not retire the whole concept of threads? The entire board is a DAG of posts that link to other posts, and it only gets linearized when you jump in and view it starting at some particular post.

Scrap linearization.

Display replies in chronological order at different parallel lanes.
Depending on source.

Think something similar to git tree.

8ch's community can't even begin compare to this site's, according to the stats compiled by .

>NNTPChan

Wow an even smaller chan that puts technology first rather than having an actual userbase. It's literally nothing. Nobody cares that you can't censor it, there's hardly anything worth censoring in the first place.

this

Age verification

Ban all under the age of 25

This. The technology of Sup Forums is irrelevant, its userbase is all that matters.

Ban phoneposters, make the interface archaic and barely usable.

There is no public repo yet.

No

Interesting ideas. It would be very interesting to move away from the traditional threads, however it could be very unappealing to many users. It could be something worth trying.

Unfortunately this would end up working the same way as on Sup Forums, which is that it doesn't.

Sup Forums already has Anti-shitposting features, it's called Sup Forums and Sup Forums.

Add a deep web link.

>we're confident that if we present a great site, people will use it and it will grow.
Well that's fuckin' naive.

A comprehensive strategy for poaching users from elsewhere is far more important than any technical planning and should have been sorted out before any other considerations. Many before you have walked the road you're on now.

>Well that's fuckin' naive.

He's straight up retarded. He literally thinks he can focus on the "essential technology" and everybody will just flock to his shitty chan just because it's "better".

Get Moot to run it

Apply the private tracker format to an imageboard. So literally make it a secret club.

thatd basically make it a private forum, what good would that do

Do the opposite of HN. Instead of having an upvote only system, have a downvote only system.