/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 & i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>No R5 1400 unless super cheap on sale
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider a locked 7700 and not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5
>Cheap Z270 board is still worth it for faster memory in games with a locked 7700. Cheap Z270 aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470 8GB, RX480 8GB, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>Vega comes in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/P8crXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fmsfjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/2P6Vyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/RZdWCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/zJcrXH
galaxstore.net/GALAX-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-EXOC-8GB_p_93.html
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NboQoVUTLD14B5vYIEFQiBFsYv7sTU9bg5V5-O2CjVk/pubhtml
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125936&Tpk=N82E16814125936
evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6284-RX
asrock.com/microsite/AM4TSD/
logicalincrements.com/articles/streaming#twopc
pcpartpicker.com/list/2bWdcc
youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU
benchlife.info/intel-x299-platform-might-launch-at-computex-04092017/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pcpartpicker.com/list/P8crXH
Looking for some advice.
budget is 2300-2600 USD.

Should I dish out for 32gb of ram cause, I'd like to livestream some.

Any edits of the same quality parts for cheaper are accepted.

If you're going to stream, why the 7700k? Hardware accelerated encoding looks far inferior to CPU encoding for a given bitrate, and you have bitrate limits.

You also picked a 7700k with a motherboard that isn't capable of remotely decent overclocks.

>Should I dish out for 32gb of ram cause, I'd like to livestream some.
16GB is more than enough for video editing and streaming.

well user fix it up for me then.

nvm that board is 8+2 VRM phases, it looks like. That is decent enough for a reasonable overclock.

Go for Ryzen 7 1700/1700X.
also make sure to get a fast memory

pcpartpicker.com/list/Fmsfjc

Increased SSD to 1TB as well and memory to 3200 for just $90 more total for the build.

You could probably get a 1440p monitor for cheaper, maybe IPS as well, if you drop to 85hz or get one that's overclockable to 85hz.

I'm going to challenge you because you're the most recent person I've seen spout the "Ryzen + fast RAM" thing.

It's a buyers suggestion to pair the two but 90% of the AM4 boards don't seem to be able to get anything stable over 2400/2600Mhz.

I've seen the benchmarks and I understand that it should theoretically benefit from faster RAM but can you show me an example of a real life build where someone actually has it all working?

Seems like all the shitty BIOS out there are holding people back for the time being.

JUST TELL ME WHAT FUCKING 1080 TO BUY

I'm looking to replace my HD6970 as there seems to be a problem with temperature sensor. Sometimes fan kicks up to 100% and it sounds like someone is running a vacuum cleaner next to me. Since I'm not gaming anymore I'm looking for a cheap passively cooled GPU that works well with Linux. So far my options include Radeon 5450, GeForce 210, Geforce 710 and Radeon R5 230. Which card should I get?

>no one else is buying shit and busted rigs from craigslist, repairing them, and replacing components with retired enterprise hardware

well, tech reviewers and benchmarks can get faster RAM to work, so it has to be possible.
Though it indeed isn't as simple and straightforward as on Intel platforms.
AMD rushed the launch and the motherboard manufacturers had no time to get the bioses right.

>JUST TELL ME WHAT FUCKING 1080 TO BUY
Whichever one is on sale for under $450.
Wasn't the Auros on sale for that yesterday?
There was another for $420. EVGA I think.

Not him, but I've hardly heard of anyone only hitting 2400 since like the first week.

Almost everyone seemed to be hitting 3200 on any 3 memory phase Gigabyte boards on the later BIOS updates before the last microcode update.
The latest microcode update (which was to improve RAM compatibility), however, messed up optimizations for a lot and dropped them back down to 2800 or 2933 for a lot. I'm sure the next BIOS coming out will bring it back up for those that can't hit 3200, but plenty are.

Just get an ASRock or Gigabyte board with 3 or more memory phases, and you'll mostly be fine. Worst case: you drop down to 2933 which is still fast. You don't need single rake Samsung b dies.

I would but the 1080tis are all sold out of stock unless you wants founders editions with shiddy temps

7700 or 1600?

Need halp. Did I go too cheap on the case?

pcpartpicker.com/list/2P6Vyf

Is this good?
>gaming 1080p60 on high
>budget is less than $1000
pcpartpicker.com/list/RZdWCy

No.
>8gb
>1063
>msi
>bronze

I haven't seen ones sub-500 unless they're refurbs or the EVGA ACX ones, which are the less reliable ones.

And do you mean the Gigabyte Aorus? That one is like, $550 minimum.

Not really interested in 1080ti since I can't do 4K. Planning to upgrade to 1440p after getting a 1080.

My only qualifications for the card are that it cools well and doesn't explode or take a month or RMA it if something goes wrong.

Get a cheaper cpu if you have a lower than $1000 budget. i would suggest getting the 6gb version of the 1060.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Fmsfjc
thanks but I don't want a ryzen build.

You can get a better PSU for that money or an equal one for less.
Also don't get a 3GB 1060. Either shell out more for the 6GB or get a 4GB 480.

Up to you and you wants/needs. They're both good. The 1600 is obviously cheaper and comes with a better stock cooler.

Get the Seasonic 550RM. $50 after mail in rebate at Newegg.

$110 cheaper with a twice as large SSD, better PSU, etc. Change case if you want.

I've seen $420-$450 1080s a lot the past week. They're daily flash sales.

galaxstore.net/GALAX-Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-EXOC-8GB_p_93.html
Here is one for $450. Which is weird because I didn't think Galax sold in the US.

>And do you mean the Gigabyte Aorus? That one is like, $550 minimum.
It was $450 a day or two ago for a one day only sale.

I thought you said you wanted to stream? Ryzen 7 is the only choice there. You can sort of get away with a 1600.

if i have to go ryzen to stream, I guess I won't stream then.

>Ryzen 7 is the only choice there
Or an external video encoding machine that uses a CPU. So an entire second computer. That works, too.

>It was $450 a day or two ago for a one day only sale.
Christ, where? I've been watching slickdeals like every day and checking Newegg/Amazon/PcPartpicker for shit. I guess I need to look harder, because getting one for under 500 would make it easier to pick up a monitor too.

>What is the boot time for the AM4 series motherboards?

>Normally, the boot time for AM4 series motherboards is around 30-45 seconds.
>Boot time may be longer if clearing CMOS or boot up from getting AC power firstly.

I'm sorry, what?
My 6 year old PC boots to usable desktop in under 10 seconds.

FYI: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NboQoVUTLD14B5vYIEFQiBFsYv7sTU9bg5V5-O2CjVk/pubhtml
Spreadsheet for B350 mobos, did this for myself because i have no idea which one to get.
Maybe someone can give me some more info on this, especially on RAM compatibility.
Personally I'm leaning towards MSI Tomahawk and ASRock K4. I know the Tomahawk still has the POST issue but i do not know if the ASRock will give me 100% guaranteed 2933+ RAM compatibility for either 3000 LPX or Ripjaws V 3200 RAM.

>if i have to go ryzen to stream, I guess I won't stream then.
You can get a 6900k or use a second computer to do the encoding.
It's just pretty retarded when you can get a 1700 build for less money than a 7700k.

>Christ, where
Oh it wasn't the Aorus, but just another Gigabyte one. It was $460 but is $500 now newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125936&Tpk=N82E16814125936

Oh and the EVGA is still on sale for $423 evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6284-RX
I'd still wait for Vega since you'd probably have tons of 1080s in that price range to choose from instead of having to just buy the one on sale, if not get Vega, but that's good price/performance currently anyway.

Uh, that's not true. Except for that Tomahawk one that people have been having take 24+ seconds to POST in some cases. But others are fine on the same board, so dunno.

>Tomahawk
That's an MSI board, this was directly from the asrock website
asrock.com/microsite/AM4TSD/

>Seasonic 550RM
Why? What does it have over the EVGA PSU?

>ayy m dee

People do this but you really need to hunt for the right components for it to make any sense from a financial standpoint. For example, a while back the market got flooded with a bunch of cheap but powerful LGA 2011 xeons when Facebook decommissioned a billion old servers. Problem is there are barely any reasonably priced LGA 2011 motherboards that still work on the market.

That is weird. I've not heard of that, and the ASRock boards are popular.

X99 or don't stream then poorfag.

EVGA has these nice, white PSU cables on their site but they're $90 which basically costs more than the PSU itself. I can't seem to find anywhere where they're sold with those cables, so are they just being retarded or am I missing something?

What kind of spec requirements are there fore the second computer option?
You can get pretty fast used office computers for less than $100 these days

>8gb
go for 16gb

>1060 3gb
pls. either go for RX480 4GB or 1060 6GB

>bronze
literally doesn't matter. Don't fall for the manufacturers memes

logicalincrements.com/articles/streaming#twopc

>You can get pretty fast used office computers for less than $100 these days
You'd want at least a recent i7 to do the encoding. You could probably get away with a recent i5 but it could drop frames while encoding, so probably going to cost you a little more than $100 unless you can find an absolute steal somewhere.

>literally doesn't matter

My 1500x boots in approx 4-5 seconds with ASRock ab350 k4

>People are too dumb to update their BIOS

Every single CPU release ever

It really doesn't unless you really care for those couple of watts more from the wall.

>muh reliabilite tho
same across all efficiency ratings

> Problem is there are barely any reasonably priced LGA 2011 motherboards that still work on the market.
you can get intel ones for like 80 dollars as long as you aren't looking at ebay/aliexpress

A lower price point right now. And it's still "top tier" alongside EVGA.

hello. would you change anything that's not too efficient?
pcpartpicker.com/list/2bWdcc

That was actually one of the boards I was looking at. How do you like it? What is your ram running at vs what it's rated at?

I think I've identified the motherboard I want to use. I want to use either
MSI Z270 X or MPower Gaming Titanium OR the Gigabyte Aorus G-Z270 Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0), an E-ATX board
Selection will be based upon connectivity options ... which board offers the greatest flexibility of most-recent technology front and rear ports. Suggestions?
Also, I'm planning on the Asus Xonar Essence Stx sound card, any advice on that

Asus Dual is piece of shit. Why not 480 for full amd build though?

A low end i5 encode isn't going to have good quality if you want to keep the bitrate low for viewers. Not even worth the setup hassle tbph if you aren't getting at least an i7. Also, NGINX can be used on the secondary PC to capture a high bitrate broadcast from the gaming PC over LAN rather than using a capture card. Saves quite a bit and you don't have to deal with the headaches a capture card can present.

too hot and power hungry as i read. also i'm mostly interested in emulation and nvidia gpus do it better

hello where are the good looking itx cases at?

Thankfully there are still an absolute assload of 1366 boards and compatible Xeons on eBay for next to nothing.

memes aside, how is the ryzens cooler?

Excellent board for the price and has had good support

I'm running a beta BIOS and have 3000 gskill ram undervolted a bit and overclocked stable at 3200

hows this for a stress test? I only have a cooler master tower for my cpu for now but I have a water cooler that i will put on as soon as corsair sends me the adapter I lost.

did I get a good 7700k? not sure what a good voltage be for 4.7 OC

yeah Im going to turn down the OC until I get my water cooler up and running. I just wanted to try it out for a second to see what voltage I can get with a mild OC

I will never understand the fanboy logic

True. Getting a little bit long in the tooth but it looks like you can get quad core Westmere-EPs for about $25 and hex cores for about $75 and LGA1366 mobos for around $100. Could be useful for setting up a cheap server.

How's that mobo? ASUS did a good job making it look sexy but doe sit perform well?

>fanboy
>logic
choose one

>replying to yourself

You could game on one i7 and have another i7 doing the encoding.
A G4560 could possibly do it if it's 1080p 30fps output. I really don't know for sure.
A R5 1400 would certainly handle it and be a bit cheaper.

He's talking about a machine to do encoding on the CPU. The hardware encoders are much worse quality.

You can technically do it, and drop the quality. People obviously like good quality video instead of a bunch of artifacts, go figure.

cablemod.com or whatever.

Seasonic are super good quality even for their cheap ones.
And it's semi-modular so you'll have less unused cables hanging around in your case.
It's a fucking steal at $50. I would still recommend it at $70.

>too hot and power hungry as i read
That's just people being autists.
150-180W isn't too hot or power hungry, for fucks sake.

For stock it's good. Similar to $20 ones. Like 30-40% better than Intel's.
It seems good for 1.3-1.325v. 1.325-1.35v if you replace the thermal pad with better thermal paste.

Jesus what cooler is that?
The deep red colors are trying to tell you something. Do you really have to ask?
And that's at 1.28v? LMAO.

Get a cheaper 100 usd b350 motherboard, put the money into a 8gb x 2 kit.
Also i would get 500gb ssd instead of the two drives. I would get additional space from an old laptop or desktop.

I love the bios and such and the WiFi adapter they give you is really good. I have no complaints so far it's been nothing but a dream for the brief time I've had it. Tech deals did a good review on it

I was just asking if that's a good voltage for 4.7 OC :(

water cooler is soon. It's just some air cooler tower I bought for $30

Help me Sup Forums, I'm in PC Building limbo and need some guidance.

I was initially intending on building an R7 build when they were released, but that turned into an R5 build because it makes more sense for my needs. Then I had intended on a SFF build, but realized there aren't any MiniITX motherboards available. I decided Micro ATX would be suitable. However I then decided that I would want to get a Vega GPU for the build, but that's not going to be released for a few weeks. Now I'm realizing that getting Ryzen now might not be a good idea because they don't have an APU, and that AMD might be releasing the chips with APU this fall.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. I've been waiting to build a Ryzen box since it was announced and now I feel like I'm in an awkward place. I don't currently have a desktop.

To add, you could do CPU encoding on the 7700k in most games if you framerate cap to 60fps or 30fps or something.

But if you want to game at 100+fps AND encode on the same machine, you need a R7 or 6900k.
You don't to use the built in dedicated encoder since the quality is ass on anything fast moving. And other hardware GPU encoders have the same problems. Encoding on the CPU is simply by far the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=jludqTnPpnU

>He's talking about a machine to do encoding on the CPU.
I know. I'm just saying that even on a separate PC set up for streaming, an i5 may not be powerful enough to be worthwhile. For the stream to be a good quality you really want to target OBS's "fast" setting and I'm pretty sure that's going to make an i5 chug.

It's a good voltage for 4.7, but your temps are fucking awful.

Still sounds awful even for a $30 tower cooler. I bet you're going to have to delid. And you need way better airflow over the VRMs, too.

Just get a 1600 and an Rx 480 8GB and coast on that for a while. There'll always be something better down the line so just get in now while things are cheap and then do an upgrade in a year or two if you must.

Don't fall for the Just Waitâ„¢ meme.

Yeah. To get high quality CPU encoding with a dedicated machine that does nothing but take the output from what you game on, encode it, and send it to Twitch, a 1400 is probably the minimum you could use. But he doesn't want to use AMD, so another 7700 it is.

Use that as a starting point and see if that changes your mind.
Vega will be better, but also more money and not out yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Switch the motherboard to the Z270 Apex and ram to Trident Z 4266mhz

A better cpu cooler for the high memory OC

Why do people advise against buying Windows OEM keys, again?

reminded me

So what's the deal with the 1700x? Is it really just a 1700 with a factory overclock?

Because the seller can revoke the key and resell it.
Make sure you buy from some place that gives you some sort of purchase protection to prevent them from doing that.

It's binned like 2.5-3.5% better.

>My 1500x boots in approx 4-5 seconds with ASRock ab350 k4
As far as i know the POST/boot issue only concerns the MSI Tomahawk.
>I'm running a beta BIOS and have 3000 gskill ram undervolted a bit and overclocked stable at 3200
G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 CL16 by any chance? If so, what are your settings and did you reach stable 3200 before the beta BIOS?
I'm actually looking at the ASRock K4, it has a little better sound due to seperated PCB section and it's on sale here.

I'm really in between the Tomahawk aka boot for longer than my first Pc ever or the ASRock.

Recommend me a case.
Mid tower
Don't need any external drive bays
Vents on front, not flat panel
Window or vent on side, not flat panel
USB3 x2, audio, power on front, not top
My previous case was a HAF 912 and I loved it, but new ones only have 1 USB3 port.

I'm getting the X370 for the wifi. And since this my first build i don't have an old desktop. I'm oy getting that RAM because Ryzen RAM seems funky right now.

So you're saying there will always be something 'around the corner'? I just feel weird buying a motherboard with display outputs that can't be used. The whole 'upgrade' later thing doesn't sit well with me though, because at that point I'll have leftover parts that will turn into another computer, which isn't somethig I'm very interested in.

Vega will be better, and if the release is anything like Ryzen it will be a hot ticket. I have money, that I'm not worried about.

So what's the non-cuck version if you're just going hrough the things on the pcpartpicker list? The ones listed as 32/64-bit?

If you can wait 2 months then no problem

benchlife.info/intel-x299-platform-might-launch-at-computex-04092017/

>Skylake-X is probably the most exciting HEDT product coming from Intel since the original Core i7, and I'm sure they want to make an impact here. One friend told me some applications/games are seeing 10-15% performance per clock increase compared to original Skylake, that's probably because of the new cache architecture and quad-channel DDR4. Expect the entry level 6C/12T to become a very attractive all-around choice for productivity and high-refresh/multi GPU gaming choice.

>Also, unless I'm mising something, this is the first time Intel mentions 'LCC' next to one of their HEDT codenames. I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning a special 'MCC' version of it with even higher core count. BenchLife hinted 10C SKL-X would not be their X SKU and than an italian blog reiterated the rumors about 12C SKL-X.

>another fucking chipset

>It's binned like 2.5-3.5% better.

So considering it's about 70 eurobucks more expensive on average it's a complete waste of money?

The alternative is waiting another 8 months to a year until the Raven Ridge APUs are out for desktops.

If you want a VEGA anyways, what are you concerned about integrated graphics for?

You can also sell of spare parts when you upgrade.

A socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear.

What happens to ryzen idles when overclocked?

Kinguin with purchase protection (like an extra $5).
Their support can be a hassle sometimes, but usually fine. Usually the seller isn't going to be dumb enough to try revoking when you have the purchase protection.

Yes the extra you pay is not worth it.
If you have the money, the 1800X is nice, but it's obviously not good price-performance as anyone would expect.

Doesn't seem to hardly affect idle for most people.

>streaming on a $1700 10 core
>not a $1250 16 core

>The alternative is waiting another 8 months to a year until the Raven Ridge APUs are out for desktops.

You think it will be that long?

>If you want a VEGA anyways, what are you concerned about integrated graphics for?

I mean you could say that about any GPU right? It just feels weird having ports on my system that I can't use.

> You can also sell of spare parts when you upgrade.
I suppose.
> work

>Kinguin with purchase protection (like an extra $5).

No I mean what's the "you pay full price and it's absolutely, undeniably yours" option?

Is that just anything without the OEM branding?

So, is the RX500s worth waiting (specifically 580), or will they just be higher clocked rehashes of the 400s?

Definitely the second one.

Refined manufacturing process. More perf/watt.

Looks like there are many custom OC versions of the cards coming at 1400-1500MHz stock OC whereas most high end models of RX480s only hit about 1370 or 1380 on a manual OC.
Only RX480 I'd get now are the ones known to OC over 1400MHz fine like the XFX GTR, unless you get one really cheap.

PowerColor is already sending their 6 VRM phase 8+6 pin model out to reviewers, so we'll see soon.

>You think it will be that long?
Looking at things like Vegas track record, it could be even longer. The RR APUs are coming out in some notebooks around September IIRC and then they should be available for desktops a couple months after that.

>I mean you could say that about any GPU right? It just feels weird having ports on my system that I can't use.
I get where you're coming from. It triggered me when I realized my HDMI port on the mobo was essentially non-functioning. I know you wrote off the upgrading thing, but if you think about it, you're going to have to upgrade EVENTUALLY, especially if you're into gaming. I thought about it and figured that:
1) The AM4 Socket will be here until at LEAST 2020
2)I will be plugging all of my displays directly into the GPU anyways
If I ever want to upgrade the CPU in 2019 because a hotnew APU is coming out, I can just slide it right into the AM4 slot and get use of the port.
Similarly, if a hot new GPU comes out Ican just swap that in and upgrade.

tl;dr It's not worth waiting 8 months because of port autism. If you actually, undeniably, can't live without an APU and Vega in your system, then go ahead and fall for the wait meme. Otherwise, there's cheaper, available options that can be at your doorstep in 4-7 business days.

>More perf/watt.
Oh dont start that shit.
Difference will be like 5% tops and they'll be more expensive for months.

AMD has or will have many millions of dollars of orders to fill for APUs to Apple, Microsoft, and laptop manufacturers before there will be ones to sell to consumers.

It very well may be mid-late Q4 before consumers can buy them.

I'm sure it's over 5%. It must be since the reference model is still a 6 pin yet clocks are 8% higher.
The difference between the XFR GTR and your average RX480 is more than 5%.