Tiling WMs

So Sup Forums
i3 or awesome? Or maybe xmonad? Which do you prefer and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/i3/i3/issues/2497).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

herbstluftwm
because I'm edgy and a huge faggot

>herbstluftwm
Does it have any advantages over the ones i listed?

yes, it's obscure, you will be cool in every desktop thread

wmii though it is now abandoned

Awesome is great but I prefer the manual split handling of i3.

chmod +x /home/vagrant/.i3/conky.sh

fify

bspwm forever

Compiz all the way.

I use i3 in a pleb way, I unbind all the shit I don't use and just have splitting and window/workspace switching, and resizing. I never use tabs or stacking or whatever.

sway, because wayland is the future

Reasons I use i3

- Its easy to setup (install, and that's it)
- It has nice keybindings
- I can't be bothered to try something else
- I hate using the mouse

It just sucks that some applications have a hard time working properly. Eg. virtualbox (github.com/i3/i3/issues/2497). Same problem (more or less) exist with Emacs (strange un-writable margin on the right, can be fixed by doing float->fullscreen) and Java applications (usually doesn't obey WM_CLASS and related).

>tiling wm
We mac users prefer to tile pretty cocks, not windows

tiling wms are for autists

I use i3 mostly stock settings with xfce's panel along with a few edits to the config file and love it.
One thing I miss though is a workspace viewer that allows you to peak at all your workspaces in a tile format. Yet to figure out how to implement it with i3.

> he thinks tiling wms can only tile windows

> wikihow

kys

I use/prefer awesome wm because it comes with sane defaults and I don't need to do anything to have a fully functional wm. I only changed the wallpaper and the theme.

I don't add a bottom bar because I have a 16:9 monitor.

What else are they supposed to be tiling? Your roof?

nice reddit spacing and epic funny green arrows

> Yet to figure out how to implement it with i3.
My best bet :
- modify i3 to create workspaces thumbnails via compositing and off-screen buffers.
or
- modify i3 to expose the position and dimension of the windows via substructure redirection
or
- maybe dirty stuffy via XGetImage

THIS
I fucking hate redditors
Why does every plebbitor use spaces after each sentence?

What's up with that?

why tho?
you jerk of too bash in your sleep?

>a mac user is a literal faggot
Really makes you think.

Tiling is for ricers, the true best wm is cwm.
Groups > Workspaces
Easy controllable stacking > forced tiling

If you need a tiling wm though, i3 is the least autistic.

I am not an advanced user, was hoping not to reinvent the wheel besides installing what already exists or writing a simple quick and dirty script.

I'd probably go for whatever method requires the least effort, might look into writing something basic workspace switcher in python or so that just scans all workspaces and displays a scaled down screenshot in a tile format in your active monitor.

Pressing on the desired tile and getting it to link to the workspace through some cli command would probably be the biggest pain in the ass.

I don't know much about this shit, but I would think Compton would be a better target for this. I don't think i3 has compositing at all

By that I mean let Compton run side by side i3 and use it's compositing features to accomplish the exposé

Thanks already have compiz installed to deal with xfce issues, I'll look into it.
On second thought, I don't think it is particularly urgent as I rarely have a lot of windows open in different workspaces. Find myself tabbing or stacking containers more often.

> vox

kys

>Thanks already have compiz installed
In that case I think compiz has Expo feature