After all these years improving it is it a good idea that Cannonical ditches Unity??

After all these years improving it is it a good idea that Cannonical ditches Unity??

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkHeaderBar.html
gnome-look.org/p/1174889
gnome-look.org/p/1174889/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This, unity with a good gtk and icon theme is great, it has actually nice keyboard shortcuts and it's easy to configure them.
The global menu in the title bar is no short of genius.

yes

improved shit is still shit

>t. Red Shat poo in loo
See

I hope someone will fork and develop Unity7 instead of that Unity8 mess.

So far the guys who are trying to develop Unity8 are just modifying readme's, comments and translations. Just a bunch of fags.

no

>implying only Unity and GNOME exist

it's a stupid comparison too
everything looks good compared to GNOME cancer

It's a bad idea but hopefully something better comes along.

Gnome 3 is fugly.

It might be a better idea to modify gnome shell like the mint devs did, after all it's just use something similar to dash to dock, tweak the top panel to include the application's menu and small tweaks here and there.
I mean it could be done with extensions alone and not forking anything.

yes, finally no more botnet and over 9000mb/s internet speed on static desktop without any programs running
(probably, maybe they will do something to "their" gnome, idk)

The only good thing about this is that GNOME might get thumbnails faster with so many users on Ubuntu.

>Implying there is even a single DE/WM/whatever(aside from unity) that implements locally integrated menus(to the title bar) and SEAMLESS integration of a title bar to the top panel.

GNOME devs don't care

>implying GNOME will merge anything from Canonical

>implying one particular feature can pull the whole DE out of shit

that's not how it works user

>shilling this hard for literally shittiest and slowest DE available

Canonical has to make money, so they ditched Unity8, Mir and mobile devices in favor of server market. Unity still will be developed independently and available in repos in 'universe' section.

No, desktop Linux is now officially dead.

it's stupid as fuck

I don't know, what I know is that GNOME will never be good.

Given how canonical was exclusive unity developer it probably didnt pay out the wasted time and manpower
Theyll focus on the server now

*LEAK*

I just got an image of what Canonical wants to do in GNOME 3!

lmao

wtf this is just horrible

I like this to be honest. It looks very clean, fresh and modern.

it still amazes me how the gnome project thought that having a taskbar was distracting
having an entire top bar dedicated to 1 application menu, that bullshit "systray"/whatever and clock is just breathtakingly inefficient

That's exactly how it works. I mean, really, there is nothing more important to a DE than how it handles windows, menus, accessibility of programs and main functions of the computer.
No Screenshot I have ever seen on this board was better than Unity in this respect, Gnome on Fedora was Eye cancer and not really usable, even iOS and W10(which I love) do not compare.

And "muh performance" for what, glorified text editing a.k.a. coding and browsing the web?
My 6year old lenovo who literally died under Windows 7 worked smooth as butter with Ubuntu 16.04

GNOME 2 was as inefficient as this.
GNOME 1 was as you described, but they wrote it in C#.

Amazing. Looks clean, I like it a lot more than gnome 3 default look.

I thought it was cool until my eyes moved to the left and saw that stupid dockbar there. I love how KDE has gone from shit to decent at light speed but Unity and Gnome both slowly deteriorate.

I honestly think at least half of ubuntus appeal comes from its choice of colors. It is really satisfying to be greeted by such a warm screen in decently differing hues.
Somebody at Canonical has a real talent here!

Let's see how much of my shit is broken after this upgrade.

> upgrading
> not enjoying life on 16.04 until 2021

16.04 just randomly crashes on my laptop for some reason, 16.10 just werked. I'm hoping that this will be an improvement.

lol I could debunk this but seeing retards go against GNOME amuses me

Nice mechanical keyboard.

wtf I actually like GNOME now

>Geynome
Disgusting

>I could
You literally can not.

>Somebody at Canonical has a real talent here!
too bad they'll get laid off since canonical won't maintain unity anymore

>pro tip:
Don't reply if you are not sure
t. /fglt/

>pro tip #2:
Never admit you're wrong.

>Not actually providing a backup for his words
>Being this stupid
Just lmao

Fuck gnome

33 minutes later and it's still fucking going

It's fucking broken, I can't maximise the terminal

They're just getting started, calm down Autismo

>Upgrading using GUI
are you a pre-schooler?

yup, used linux for 3 months.

What's happening?

In this case, it's bad, linux is still unusable for normies.

I think it's prompting me to set up some kind of mailing thing for bugs, I mashed tab and enter on the window and that seemed to resolve it.

The community should ditch 98% of Linux distros and their useless packets

Fuck Richard, Shuttleworth is the real face of linux.

>I used to think that it was a privilege to serve people who also loved the idea of service, but now I think many members of the free software community are just deeply anti-social types who love to hate on whatever is mainstream. When Windows was mainstream they hated on it. Rationally, Windows does many things well and deserves respect for those. And when Canonical went mainstream, it became the focus of irrational hatred too. The very same muppets would write about how terrible it was that IOS/Android had no competition and then how terrible it was that Canonical was investing in (free software!) compositing and convergence. Fuck that shit.

Fucking nailed it there spaceboy.

We (pretend to) hate:
Gnome2 (because Ubuntu shipped with it)
then
Unity (because Ubuntu shipped with it)
then
Gnome3 (because Ubuntu shipped with it.)

I know they don't have the time to do this, because they are a private company ACTUALLY MAKING MONEY instead of whiny IRC "historian" turbo loser pre-suicide shits, but I would literally die if Ubuntu just for a month or something came with some autistic obscure tiling wm like i3. Just to see faggot hipsters immediately start to find pseudo-problems with it and drop it.

Why don't you fuck off to BSD? It's permanently shit and you can keep saying you're better than linux users because it isn't mainstream. You don't do anything here besides shit up the linux community with pseudo-intellectual desktop circlejerking. Please, please, please fuck off to BSD.

tldr please

>mommys leet haxors hating on mainstream things that actually good
nothing new

Why didn't the let users do pic related?

Literally the only reason I didn't use it.

This

you could do that, it was just hidden in the compiz-tweaks-setting, just like all other useful configurations (auto-hiding etc.)

Well actually looks better than It worked, didn't it?

when i first tried it broke stuff everywhere and then i found a blog post by shuttleworth telling users to shut the fuck up about it

>only flux broke

>flux
I thought GNOME 3.24 has night light

it does, I uninstalled flux just now.

Image related

Why are KDE shills so insufferable? Specially the chinks.

Oh... okay.

i imagine when they decided to ditch ubuntu mobile (and by extension u8) they were left with nothing to add to unity, and explored what severing that team would really change. They probably got to look at gnome 4 too, and it was at least up to their standards that it was worth it to cut the unity team to make up from sunk cost into ubuntu mobile.

>looks better
It looks worse
literally first post after op

1. That's called gtk headerbar developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkHeaderBar.html
Headerbar is actually a nice idea to get rid of an extra menu panel. As a result your screen space is saved in the vertical axis
2. You can save even further by installing an extension called PixelSaver in GNOME, Unity basically forked pixelsaver into their shell --it's literally the same shit
3. Unity 7 looks like some garbage from 2007. However that "leaked" picture is much more cleaner. In fact I wish it was a bit more cluttered.
4. Going back to your meme in the first post, you can see it's not nautilus in the bottom screenshot, nautilus uses the gtk3 headerbar. With the screenshot in the bottom, the whole panel is lost in printing the title and 3 icons.

If you don't know the technical aspects of the thinks you want to talk about you should study a bit more. If an app developer uses gtk3 and the headerbar your DE can do nothing about it.

See picture: On the right, polari makes use of gtk 3 headerbar and on the right Qterminal doesn't use the headerbar. Qterminal wasted a whole row for title, Polari was more space efficient. Unfortunately neither GNOME nor Unity can do anything about those apps using the headerbar or not.

Why are you torturing yourself with this? It's obviously a pile of garbage. Try Arch, it isn't that hard and has lots of advantages, rolling release is one of them.

>thinks
things

Everyone's endgame right now is to move away from X and Compiz is an old, unmaintained piece of shit. People ask about Unity 7 and they explain that it'll take too much work to improve Unity 7 when they can just easily take away, tack on and modify Unity 8's codebase. You can't say the same for Unity because of its dependencies.

Until there is a great number of good applications that use the gtkheaderbar, Gnome 3 will be shit due to inconsistencies.
>Web is shit. No other browser can use the header bar properly than Web, but Web is too basic to use.
>Geany doesn't get updates.
>Evolution doesn't use the correct header bar for some reason.
>No replacement for Libreoffice with proper headerbar
>GnomeMPV is missing a few features to be good
>No video/audio editor uses the proper headerbar to my knowledge
>Gnome Terminal doesn't use the proper headerbar
>Builder can be considered to be lacking for some (I do like it though)

w-what
tell us why the image is wrong

gnome-look.org/p/1174889

That pretty screenshot further up was initially a mock-up, but someone tried turning it into a theme. Don't have time to try it right now, let me know if it's any good.

>DE that depends on systemdick
kys

THIS IS A MOCK UP. NOT OFFICIAL; JUST A CONCEPT. FUCK YOUR LIES, FUCKING NIGGER MONKEY.

>Giving a shit

>I could
But you either can't or won't, which makes your point moot.

Yes, because there is Gnome.

This

I agree with most of that except that Gnome 3 is shit and that's not because Ubuntu is using it.

Inconsistent.
Ugly.
Waste of vertical space(see second post from op)
Stupid.
GNOME is shit.

Not so fast sweety
gnome-look.org/p/1174889/

>Gnome 3
>Unity
>Ubuntu

>Why are you torturing yourself with this?
>Try Arch

>linux

>leenix
K E K

You fucking dumb fuck dipshit, I explained you in points and yet you didn't read and decided to be the clueless mouthbreathing sack of shit you are and posted this. Cease to exist, kill yourself.

These

GNU/Linux

>never tried arch

Autohide the dockbar. It's simple. You can make GNOME look like pretty much any other DE these days.

>now

That's a problem with GTK.

It's garbage

Well they're about to start because canonical is going to become a large portion of gnome devs.

>gnome 1
>using C sharp

are you retarded?