Looks like we finally found /ourbrowser/

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.brave.com/introducing-brave-payments/
brave.com/about_ad_replacement.html
github.com/brave/browser-laptop/wiki/Fingerprinting-Protection-Mode
brave.com/Payments_FAQ.html
github.com/brave
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Isn't that the Make America Great Again logo?

I agree with you OP, but I don't think this is the right time to promote Brave. Personally, I will wait after a few more update before recommending it between my friends.

For instance there are things that the average Sup Forums user wants like Appchan X that are still not in Brave. So they will complain about that kind of stuff.

Best android browser though.

>Best Android browser thought.
Why?
Can you convince me to download it? I'm tired of Chrome's botnet and is slow as fuck.
[spoiler]I still want that incognito tab tho[/spoiler]

> and is slow as fuck.

I think you would like it then, because it is fast as fuck and it has integrated features like HTTPS Everywhere, Fingerprint Protection, Script Blocker, Adblock. That speed up your browsing.

It also blocks third party cookies by default. So all that should improve your browser performance.

It's an open-source Chromium based browser with an adblocker built in, incognito mode included.

Creator of javascript and former CEO of firefox, open source, built in adblocker, built in httpseverywhere, though cons are it's betaish but already usable

>700MB for one 4chin tab

>based on Chromium
>nodejs
It's absolute trash.

Reminder to report and sage all shill Brave threads
It's literally adware

reminder to prove it or kys

not yet, but it's looking good

Can you post an screenshot because I don't have that issue on Windows.

Just checked my Android phone and Brave is using 144mb, so again nothing weird.

Hi guys I heard there was a new botnet general happening.

How does it feel to get your browsing history and data sold to third parties for profit?

How does to have your browser extort money out of content creators instead of doing the sensible thing and using Firefox&ublock?

this is after a restart, browsing directly here to this thread.

If you can it would be nice to report the issue.

Yeah I suppose I can try, I should also mention the 600mb is practically nothing compared to about 1-2hr of just browsing the Internet with only a single tab, it can easily get up to 1GB total usage

I Personally prefer Firefox ESR or Icecat in DE. But the CLI browser are awesome too.

That's some bullshit. You probably have other shit open. Post full screenshot

unless you can convince me that it does something that FF does not or that it does something FF does but better i am not taking your bait , stop shilling you nigger

Que?? It hovers around 200mb for me.

You're doing something wrong

Tried it for 10 minutes, it's shit. Tried it, installer asked for no install directory (or anything else) which made me want to uninstall it already. Which I probably would have, if it didn't also automatically open itself without ever asking me if I want to. Performance-wise it was fine, but then I saw some shit about payments while trying to configure it, turned around 360 degrees and walked away.

Also no way to customize it from what I saw, so I wouldn't use it no matter how good it was anyway.

For one, it renders webpages 10x faster than FF. It's also inherently more secure and also sandboxes tabs properly, given it's Chromium based.

That's weird. I never saw anything asking for payments during my install.

Could you screenshot what you're talking about? I find it's good for my use case.

>does something that FF does not or that does something FF does but better

For starters the first thing that comes to my mind is how Brave has better defaults than Firefox for privacy and security. With Brave third-party cookies are blocked by default and DRM is opt-in instead of opt-out. In Firefox those things are enabled by default, which sucks because we know most people will never touch them.

Also, Brave comes with all those things people already mentioned in this thread (httpseverywhere, noscript, adblock etc) integrated, so again better out of the box.

He is talking about Brave Micro payments.

You can read more about it here

blog.brave.com/introducing-brave-payments/

It gives you the option to support your favorite sites with bitcoins.

I'm not going to reinstall it, but this is from their website.

I don't care if I can turn it off, I don't want this in my browser at all.

Oh, I'm using it on Android so I guess that doesn't apply to me. Would micro payments in this case be considered a downside? Just wondering if that's a "bad" business decision or a warning sign to look out for

>Would micro payments in this case be considered a downside?

I think that depends on what do you think about the feature, if you are going to make use it, great. If not, you can always ignore unless you have strong opinions about it there is nothing you can do because it is integrated.

>Just wondering if that's a "bad" business decision or a warning sign to look out for

I think it is great way to help content creators when you block all ads and don't really see how it would impact negatively.

Now, Brave ads is something that seems to me more complex and I could see that having more difficulties.

You can read more about it here

brave.com/about_ad_replacement.html

In the end both of those things are options that Brave gives you and you can always ignore them and follow the route of blocking everything like I do.

Does Brave have WebRTC leaks like Chrome or no?

github.com/brave/browser-laptop/wiki/Fingerprinting-Protection-Mode

tl;dr nope

Oh, I'm using the Android version... so I guess it doesn't apply to me. I should've known you guys were talking about the desktop version.

But regardless-- if the micro-payments are optional and designated towards a logical and appropriate service, why would it be considered a downside? Do you guys see it as a warning sign? I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

so how do you get extensions on this thing?

ublock origin, etc.

I deleted and reformatted my post lol to:
Are you the dev or something? Or a legitimate shill? How the fuck did you reply so fast with such an in-depth answer?

I'd be fine with it if it was an official addon or something like that, but I wouldn't want it included in the browser by default. If the browser was good otherwise and I could customize the looks, something I can't do on chrom*, I might actually use it, but as it is, never.

>why would it be considered a downside?

I see it as something that it is there, that I currently have no use for (because I am a poorfag) so I have it unused.

I see myself in the future though making use of that option, because I like the idea of support websites that create quality content.

Is it as customizable as Firefox? Firefox is not very secure or private out of the box.

Adway + Any Browser Masterrace checking in.

yes it does actually.

Brave/Chrome/Chromium all leak your IP even if you use a VPN due to WebRTC, and you can't disable it.

FurryFox is the only browser that has legit WebRTC disabling.

I would say neither because I have no programming skills and also don't have a close relationship with Brave or anyone from the team. I am just looking for a Firefox alternative and Brave got me very enthusiastic.

> with such an in-depth answer?

I just gave you a link, because I am unable to explain with my own words some things.

>Start supporting publishers today with our new Brave Payments system.
Okay hold the fuck up.

Brave removes advertisements and trackers that are used by websites, and instead shills its own service used to pay publishers instead? So this browser you idiots are shilling turns out to be not only self-serving, but rent-seeking?

FUCKING

D R O P P E D.

I don't understand your post, no one is pointing a gun to your head telling you to use Brave Payments.

If you have some personal issue with the word "payment" that's your problem.

You can completely block ads, dumbass.

It just gives the option, you can disable it. So fucking silly to completely disregard a good browser over something so small, especially when there are no better options. Dealing with/ignoring an opt-in payment service, is a doable compromise. Don't expect a full featured Chromium based browser geared towards user privacy to popup without at least a minor incentive to so. Holy fuck, just ignore it. It literally affects nothing else.

nobody is going to answer this?

Some things are yet to be implemented.

I would stay tuned to future updates for when they finally drop it.

You can't install ublock origin as of now. All the privacy/ad blocking extensions are implemented natively (already installed right out the box)

It's not rent-seeking for the users, it's rent-seeking for the people who run websites.

Normally, the website owner is paid by the advertising network of their choosing. They can shop around. What brave is doing is saying "I'm sorry, you're not going to get money from those advertising networks anymore for these visitors. But _we_ could pay you. On our terms, of course, since we own the browser, we have the leverage, and can change our terms at any time..."

Do you see? They're trying to insert themselves between the website owner and their money. That's rent-seeking.

If I owned a website, I'd tell Brave to get fucked and block their users, serving them a link to Chromium or Firefox with uBlock Origin. At least normal ad-blocking users are doing it out of their own self interest instead of supporting a company.

i wonder why privacy/security tools devs/activists don't all just contribute to this

>He uses windows
Wew, lad

No

> "I'm sorry, you're not going to get money from those advertising networks anymore for these visitors. But _we_ could pay you. On our terms, of course, since we own the browser, we have the leverage, and can change our terms at any time..."

But Brave doesn't pay the website owner, Brave gives an option inside their Browser so you (the user) can pay the website owner. Also, aren't bitcoins supped to eliminate the middle man?

I never used the feature, so I don't know all the details about it.

>Do you see? They're trying to insert themselves between the website owner and their money. That's rent-seeking.

What I see is that Brendan is trying to solve the ad issue (allows micro payments or safe ads while protecting privacy)

>But Brave doesn't pay the website owner.
You are a liar, a shill, too stupid to breathe, or all three. Do some basic fucking research. Here's the link for everybody else:

brave.com/Payments_FAQ.html

They take a 5% cut.

>What I see is that Brendan is trying to solve the ad issue (allows micro payments or safe ads while protecting privacy)
Brave Software Inc is a corporation trying to make money. It's not a non-profit. Brendan is not your friend. Quit fucking shilling for companies that wouldn't give you ten cents to put cheese on a fucking hamburger unless they saw something out of the deal.

On a side note, anybody else amused that people pilloried Adblock Plus for doing something similar?

The security glitch affects all WebRTC-supporting browsers like Chrome, Opera, Palememe, Mozilla Firefox, etc. And you're correct in saying that you can only disable WebRTC in Firefox based browsers.

However, the vulnerability itself only affects Windows users -- people using Linux, Android, Mac OS X (most of Sup Forums, I would hope) are not affected by the glitch. WebRTC doesn't leak IPs in those Operating Systems. Winbabies are at a perpetual disadvantage when it comes to user privacy, so worrying over which browser can disable WebRTC is silly.

With that being said; the Bravefags do seem to care about what the users want, and I've seen them implement features based purely on the suggestions and opinions of end users. I wouldn't be surpised if they implemented the option to disable WebRTC down the line.

^ this

>hurr durr muh communism
>gib me free shit

Who gives a fuck. As long as a company can produce a quality product, respect its customers, and avoid doing anything shady along the way-- who are you to judge them for wanting to make a profit off their work? The micro payments are 100% optional, so what the fuck are you even going on about? This isn't even a case of it being proprietary... it's open-source and provides an option that attempts to benefit all users

Kys yourself, you fucking entitled and autistic manbaby.

Seems interesting, unfortunately it's going to have a lot of opposition solely for the fact that it's associated with Brendan Eich

So first you guys got caught in a lie, and then when called on it decide to start name-calling. Nice business you or your clients are running there.

>communism
The 20th century called, they want their insults back.

red pill me on source so I can post issue on github pls.

I'm not the guy you originally replied to.

I use brave, aliexpress doesn't work properly.

Otherwise it's alright, better than Google Chrome.

It's good on Android.

I've glanced over the bits that differentiate from Chromium. It all seems relatively well written, and nothing nefarious stands out. Brave has a relatively large user base, so I'm assuming it's been audited pretty heavily. If there's anything sketchy baked in- I don't see it.

I'm giving it a go~

What makes it better than Opera other than muh chinese botnet?

Oops, I misunderstood you.

>here's their github page: github.com/brave

Sadly, way more slow than chrome

we had a thread yesterday about why it sucks

>paying to cnn.com, sjw.com,

I hope you die of cancer you piece of shit

This is not a chrome thread, this is a brave thread.

>using windows
Why even bother posting your opinion at all if nobody is going to take it seriously?

adblock, https everywhere and noscript are already built in, others are still in development, this browser is not quite done yet.

>adblocker
>not collapsing elements
Why even hide the ads if they still take up space?

>malware thread

"The Brave browser calculates the percentages based on a combination of how many pages you visit and how much time you spend on each site."
So they took Chromium and added their own botnet on top of Google's? I would rather use IE9 than this garbage js app.

I remember when everyone raged when adblock plus did this.

>tfw no google botnet installed on my system whatsoever and brave works just as well or better

feels good.

>electron

>edge
>steam
>windows 10

t. chinkpad faggot who promoted staying on windows xp when windows 7 came out

fair enough will try it out when i get home

you do realize you can unpin edge and store? You can also get rid of the search and task view icon