/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/SwRysprE
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/65d7zo/omega_well_reddit_i_fed_up_anyone_have/
youtube.com/watch?v=07gCEduNwts
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/65cmvf/patek_philippe_my_grandfathers_1960s_patek/
youtube.com/watch?v=lSfUQasmUFY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>first for Omega Speedy Pro

reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/65d7zo/omega_well_reddit_i_fed_up_anyone_have/

kek
Some people are truly retarded

Isn't this speedy a super expensive special edition too?

This watch is overrated

>2019
>50 year anniversary of moon landing
>Omega release special edition speedmaster
>Valjoux 7750 shitter with meme "exotic" materials like black ceramic and meteorite metal

How shook are you?

>In my 10 years of working on watches, I've never seen someone scratch a sapphire crystal. Good job mate.

Why aren't watches cool anymore like they were in the 70s?

This is exactly why I always wore cheap shit (sunglasses, watches, shoes, etc) when I was a raging alcoholic

I've decided to start collecting 1000euro+ vintage watches.

Which ones should I buy first? I'm aiming to buy one a month. This month I have 1500-2000 to spare.

They should be between 34mm and 36mm in size.

You're gonna buy 12 watches a year?

10-12

If you don't even know what to buy you're either going to get scammed or buy shitters
Read a fucking LOT first

concur

it hits a nice price/quality point for most thirty-something single professionals. If you can't afford a Rolex, get an Omega.

Nice fukn Connie m9.

Omega pie-pan constellations

Tell me about it. Production watches in particular have largely declined since the 1970s.

Start researching vintage Omega models with the 56x or 75x movement and once you are familiar enough with them to be able to accurately identify originality, condition and price on your own then buy one. They are one of the greatest series produced watches of all time.

>20th for Omega Constellation

>one of the greatest series produced watches of all time.
Hell yeah

How much should this cost?

Pre-Swatch Omega had such fucking sexy movement designs. That thing is a masterpiece. What a fucking tragedy befell Omega under the Swatch Group.

They were already cheaping out on shit before swatch though, for example the massive downgrade from 321 to 861 in the speedy pro in the 70s.

As far as I understand, Omega started value engineering desperately as they were in financial trouble in the mid to late 1970s. If they hadn't been in such dire financial straights, they probably wouldn't have resorted to cost cutting their movements as they did.

In any case, the real loss from their absorption into the Swatch Group was the loss of their institutional knowledge and approach to movement making of one of the greatest production movement designers of all time.

Got this today

AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch

I was wondering whether a leather strap would look good

>non standard lugs

Good luck m8. Getting a strap made which will fit will probably cost more than the watch itself.

It won't. The watch has hooded lugs (meaning the space between the metal lugs that hold the strap is covered over in metal) and watches with hooded lugs usually don't look good on leather straps.

Then are there any Casios or other solar watches that can work with a leather?

I hope to get one once I am out of poverty tier.

Update: My £25 solar powered watch is working now despite me autistically raging because a new battery was £50.

Turns out it doesn't need a new battery at all and the previous owner was a moron or something. A day out in the sun fixed it.

I wouldn't put it on leather because it's a dive watch but the Casio Men's MDV106-1AV appears to be the only solar, analog Casio below $50 that doesn't look like hot steaming garbage, so I would recommend that.

you can get one like this but that will add cost to a cheap watch
for 40 bucks I don't know, seikos and citizens are a little more, maybe a used one. I don't see a great reason for solar anyway changing the battery is not a big deal.

the strap

Thinking of buying the new Seiko Astron SSE109JI for my bf. What do you guys think about that model?

Good choice will feel good when you're fisting his arse.

>$2000

For that much you should get a 9F grand seiko instead.

it's really big, ugly and expensive

I liked the pictures I saw desu, didnt see it in real life yet. Is it that big?

>45mm diameter

Yes, yes it is.

If he's big, it's a really great watch.

>not using scrap pieces of the apollo 11 rocket

>not even Russian movements, just some trendy Kickstarter shit that will arbitrarily double in price once the campaign ends

I found a company selling meteorite dial watches with miyota 9015s in them for 750$ or something a while back

>reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/65d7zo/omega_well_reddit_i_fed_up_anyone_have/

>People think sapphire crystals can only be scratched with diamond. Jesus fuck these cunts are dumb.

When will we have 35mm watches again? I know there are 35mm watches but we don't get a lot of the really good designs in that size. 40mm is just gigantic.

it's not solar though is it

that meme is spread a lot, you see it in like ebay listings from asia and stuff

I want to trade this for a steinhart military vintage. Anybody interested?

why?

I lurk these threads and never post (in fact that pic is from an ebay listing if you reverse image search, but I have the very same one, in the same condition)

I figure before I go thru the trouble of making an account on watchuseek or some other forum, I'd offer it to someone here who has interest. I really want a steinhart or something very similar in return though. (will use cock.li for contact if you're interested)

It is too big for my wrist. Also, for the other reason above.

Too bad the printing is so pitiful that it's going to waste.

I'm not even sure the Soyuz first stage boosters even reach suborbital trajectory, just higher atmosphere. Unless it breaks the Kármán-line it hasn't been to space.

Last bit of self promotion. I will post on the public forums tomorrow if nobody shows interest.

Too stupid to not post this pic.

I was thinking about this as well. Hardly "space"born.

I'd be interested if it weren't so fucking thicc.

its certainly THICKK

good luck but I don't think you will get a bite here.

but given the msrp difference I don't doubt you'll find some poor sap on public watch forums

heheh. I'm hoping the price difference catches some fatso's eye. It is a big piece. But a really sharp piece, nonetheless.

Good morning /wt/

Are you trolling me? Want to trade that for the Oris posted above? You have chubby wrists..the Steinhart is too small for you.

Tudor should be made with 904 stainless steel.

It's far too easy to deeply ding and scratch 316 stainless.

There's certainly something to be said about tegimented steel, ice-hardened steel, and 904 stainless.

Why are watchfags always such huge snobs?

+$500

not all lmao just rolexfags LOOK AT ME HAVE CASH HAHAHAH

>too small for you
It's a perfect fit nigga

Yes I'm a bit on the larger side, but that's irrelevant.

And no, I don't want to trade sorry m8.

Put that Oris of yours up for sale or some shit, even if you only get $150 out of it, that's nearly half the price of an OVM.

does 904 actually make a noticeable difference?

What are you talking about this thread is one of the most snobbish on Sup Forums. If you don't buy a watch with an in house movement you 100% get looked down on.

don't confuse shitposts and banter with 'meaningful' 'discussion'

In the end, so long as it's not a pure dogshit mall-brand like Tag Hueueueuer or Fossil, they're fine.

That's not true. There are droves of Casio 'terrorist' fans in these threads. Unironically, as they damn well should be. It's a good digital.

what was he attempt to convey by this?

> in house movement
Shut up and take the banter like a man.

that's an in-house movement though

Rolex uses it, and Rolex owners typically comment on how durable their watches are, after years and years of abuse.

Speaking of digital have you guys seen this?
>youtube.com/watch?v=07gCEduNwts

Seems like if you have to measure something in 100s of a second you will get shafted since the display skips numbers.

>wanting steinshit

yeah that doesn't mean shit

Reminder r/watches has PATEKS

When was the last time /wt/ had a Patek huh?

reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/65cmvf/patek_philippe_my_grandfathers_1960s_patek/

Alright. So you're saying terrorist owners are "looking down" on people? Maybe you're just fucking retarded, dude. Ever consider that?

Because people in these threads are too poor for real watches they had to invent a different way to look down on people and create their own little circlejerk. It's not hard to understand.

It sorta does.

Not many things get to go into space, but most things that do are made from a select range of materials. 904L is certified for spacetravel.
It's also one of the key materials used in high grade machinery due to it's chemical and corrosion resistant properties (Even more so than 316L) as well as the improved ability to resist stresses that would otherwise erode the metals.

>mom and pops gave me expensive watch
Wopty fucking do

You're familiar with Lawyer user, right?

>not a modern Patek
Bitch those are somewhat affordable now

And lawyeranon has an A. Lange & Söhne and a F.P. Journe more expensive than that. (And better.)

I think you've got some misguided hate, user. Maybe consider going to bed.

And the 18k Bullhead

Shit. Someone needs to post his pic.

bro keep the oris

Steinsharts are shit

Sure.

What is a better trade idea, then? I'm open to suggestions, obviously. I'm not opposed to keeping the Oris for a while, but it really is vulgar-looking on my wrist.

Maybe it's just sour grapes because I could never afford it but I'm not sure I'd want that many watches even if I could. Seems a bit overkill.

Yeah I'm just fucking with you guys.
I'm just missing lawyerfag and I'm craving some close ups of his beauties.

Until then we have to deal with fatman steinshart and fatman plaidseiko

don't listen to that wretched homosexual

there's nothing wrong with steinharts. get on a watch forum and trade it.

He claims that most of his collection is in his safety deposit boxes. This is but a snippet that we see.

Oh come on now nigga, I ain't that fat.

Just bought it for 350euro on a local craigslist type site

Plenty of people have Rolexes and Omegas who come here. Just no Pateks.

very nice,just open the case and make sure you got the right mechanism .603 cal or similar

This is probably true, as he has also posted at least five more -to my knowledge- watches that aren't in that pic.

Well, we know he has a Speedy, I'm not seeing that in the pic.

youtube.com/watch?v=lSfUQasmUFY

Steinshits are a fucking ripoff. They are $400 homages with fucking ETA's in it. For $400 you could get a fucking SKX and a night of strippers and drinks.

If you're going to buy a low end ETA based watch you might as fucking well go get a Hamilton King Khaki second hand or something that makes you not look like a fucking retard because it atleast has a somewhat original element to it.

TGV got rid of the one or two he had like instantly because even with his shitty fucking taste it's embarrassing to own. It serves no purpose other than trying to make people think you have a Rolex. Look at the obese manchild who owns one in this thread and every thread. His fat wrists look ridiculous with a copypasta watch on it. Nobody is fooled.

Fuck look in this thread, got an Omega for 350 euros that if he cleans up is a killer watch.

Viral Shilling is real, for all the fucking morons that come through /wt/ I couldn't honestly believe that someone would willingly encourage another poster here to get steinshit without getting paid to do so.