/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask all your stupid questions here that don't deserve their own thread

Google your question first

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0TMNL43MubO
download.cnet.com/Lazesoft-Recovery-Suite-Home/3000-2094_4-75749925.html?part=dl-10055229&subj=dl&tag=button
groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I googled "Is google a botnet?" Then my browser crashed. Should I have used firefox instead?

I'm interested in poking around Freenet, just out of curiosity.

Is there anyway to camouflage your ip? Would turning on the VPN have any effect?

Alwys use firefox. Also, be sure to remove anything related to jewgle and use another browser. They track everything you do. Which should be obvious to anyone.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MY SHIT

>Is there anyway to camouflage your ip? Would turning on the VPN have any effect?
I fear your safety if you are able to ask something like that.
VPNs encrypt data. You connect the dots. Just know not all VPNs are good, some work better than others, so on and so forth.
As far as camouflaging your IP. Start digging.

make sure none of your cables are loose. Also try booting in safe mode and update your video drivers

either your videocard has a hardware fault or your driver is fucked up

Cable is FUBAR or your GPU is about to buy a farm.

How old is your computer?
If its fairly new, it may be somthing small.

Better not fuckin' be my gpu. Dropped $400 on that bitch.
Been gay men on it for about a month and a half with no issue. This is the first bit of fuckery.
The 8 pin connector is the only real variable apart from a completely dead card.
EVGA, you motherfuckers best set me up with a nice rgb model for my troubles.

What kind of cable are you using? DVI or VGA?

If you are using HDMI or DP worry.

Is there any such thing as a "good" free vpn?

vocaroo.com/i/s0TMNL43MubO
My CPU cooler makes this noise while under heavy load. It's a water cooler (Silverstone TD03). It doesn't make it all the time, it just makes that screeching sound every few seconds while under load. Is it the fan? Or did air get into the loop and that noise is air bubbles going through the CPU block?

HDMI. Why would that be notable?

>Better not fuckin' be my gpu. Dropped $400 on that bitch.

served you right for spending $400 on a GPU LMAO

>muh gaymen

the best games these days don't even need $100 GPU so you probably play gay shit like overwatch for cawadoddy

Remove the cable and try another one.
Boot into linux.

If your computer has a IGPU (Inb4 AMD) use it.

God no. Those things are raging honeypots.

>overwatch
>demanding

It's mostly been Arma 3, and going through the Mass Effects again. Considering giving andromeda a chance, but fuck paying those kikes.

yes

there are some paid vpn providers that give you limited free vpn per month or so and if you use below this limit then they are fine

obviously not fine for youtube or torrent or shit like that

HDMI is a digital cable so if there's a fault in the cable then you would probably get nothing so this color shifty thing is either the GPU fucking up or the driver. probably the GPU.

probably got too hot and one of the components is in terminal stage

RIP

>there are some paid vpn providers that give you limited free vpn per month

And I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. People put way too much faith in VPNs. Just because they give you a way to hand them money doesn't make them magical guardians of security.

nice blog post

GPU overheating seems unlikely, I've never seen it go over 70, or even hit 70 for that matter.
Did a furmark run to test, though I'm not sure how relevant that is anymore

This happens randomly or only while under load?

You might have to RMA your GPU if its not the cable.

It's true tho. People don't realize the kind of security risk that comes from pumping your entire network connection through anyone who can set up a webpage and an exe.

Hard to say, that's the first time I've ran into it, and it happened after I closed a non-intensive game.
I'll give swapping the cable a go, but I'm not sure if I'll see it again.

Is there a way to backup my files on Windows (about 200gb worth) and then get a fresh start switching to Linux? Sorry for the dumb question I'm new to Sup Forums

Sure. Linux can read windows filesystems. So you just need enough space to install linux. You can copy your files to another drive and wipe. Or shrink your windows partition to makes space.

What if I only have 1 hard drive

Maybe drivers just derped, dont worry unless you see it again.

Then I'm afraid you'll have to read all the way to my last sentence.

linux noob here. how can i run openvpn without having to leave a terminal open?

Why does some of Win10 (Microsoft Edge, settings window) ignore my keyboard layout (dvorak)?
It's really annoying, but piques my curiosity more.

Did you change your keyboard settings in control panel?

keylogger

bvest gaming mouse? 200~ dollar budget

What would be the best way to fix my bootloader? I have windows 7 and it wont boot up, I've tried putting windows 7 on a USB and booting it up from that but still no use, only ubuntu has worked but I don't know what to do from that stage.

Also would windows bootloader be a problem with the hard drive?

That kind of image only tends to happen on Nvidia when the GPU is about to get fried. EVGA? 1070? Then you're fucked. Pic very related.

I just updated newpipe, now videos aren't full screen by default anymore.
Why is it so damn hard for people make software for phones?
Is there any situation where anyone would ever want to watch a video in portrait mode?
I can understand why you would implement it as a programmer, but why would anyone ever use it?
And if there is one person in the entire world that watches video like that, why not make a setting for that freak?
So many idiotic programmers rely on automatic rotation, it doesn't make sense.

Set SSD or HDD with windows installation as default boot in BIOS.

I don't have my windows disc anymore.

I had concerns about that when I ordered the card, Nvidia has a serial # checker that will determine whether or not your card has the thermal pads, checked mine day 1 and it does.
Apparently Amazon was still selling them without the pads, which was why I chose to buy from newegg.

When making .BAT scripts, is it enough to write the file name (e.g. readme.txt) if I want to open a file using the script? or is there a command to use before the file name?

if you want the file to be opened with the default program then the filename on its own is fine.
otherwise you'll have to specify which program to open it like
notepad test.txt
if notepad is not the default application but you want to open it in notepad anyway.

download.cnet.com/Lazesoft-Recovery-Suite-Home/3000-2094_4-75749925.html?part=dl-10055229&subj=dl&tag=button

Well, I needed the batch script to keep running after opening the file, I just found about "start filename" so I'll be using that for now.

Is this a bootloader repair?

That's one of the things it does.

Can you use a google home as just a regular speaker? I'm getting one for "free" with my phone, but have no idea what I'll do with it, if I even use it.

Thanks! then I just do the same right? torrent it and put it on my USB and boot it up from my BIOS? and it'll fix my bootloader?

Torrent? Where are you getting torrent from? It's an installer that prepares a bootable medium. You boot that then choose the repair options you need.

Ah, I can't open it my only spare computer is a mac

Looks like you're making another windows disk.

Heh you need some help I see. Firstly, torrent is not a synonym for download. Secondly, there are multiple methods available to you for opening and installing that crap to your usb stick, your "mac" is more than capable.

i wish i was good with computers

what's the easier route for someone with very little programming experience: webdevelopment with JS/Ruby on Rails or sheer Java?

I don't know if it wouldn't be more time effective to just learn one language at this point and stick with it.

Are there any good youtube desktop programms?
Does anyone have utility which converts whole playlists off youtube to mp3s?

youtube-dl & ffmpeg

What are some actual good DownThemAll equivalent for Chrome? I mainly want a prefect equivalent to the OneClick Download.

If you want to be a mediocre do-the-minimum guy then probably go JS/Ruby and find a webdev job some where.

If you want to achieve mastery at some point then SICP.

Congratulations! You've successfully installed the Creators Update

How much do we know about intel's 8th gen?
I want to upgrade my g4400 to a i5 skylake or kabylake but don't know if the wait is worth

The wait is never worth. Processors develop very slowly.

kek

lol!

I had. That was indeed set to qwerty. Set to dvorak and it's working as intended in that regard.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

In doing this, I found that my issue still stood due to a detail I forgot: My Japanese IME layout is set to dvorak via a registry edit; works fine except in the windows mentioned.

Played around in Control Panel and just discovered layout is fine when typing Japanese in the misbehaving windows but when IME is toggled to typing alphabet the layout is qwerty.
Guess this is due to Control Panel and Edge windows reading the selected input method (I had it on US/qwerty) for English displays; the JP IME being strictly for Japanese input.* Pretty annoying.

This mystery had bothered me for months and I'm happy to have figured it out. Thanks a lot, user.

* I use the JP IME for general typing (including alphabet); US is so the layouts can be effortlessly toggled since I share my PC sometimes.

I wish I was good with women. But at least I can bring a terminal to orgasm.

Browsing youtube and I notice videos show up with a (501) before the page/video title, what does this mean?

My pc won't boot and I found the windows disk but after putting it in loading it up from the BIOS and trying to repair this message comes up

>"This version of systems recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows"

I don't understand it's the same disc I used years ago..

Is there a fast way to basically debotnet windows 10 and fuck with everything so that I don't notice significant differences from Windows 7?

It seems I'm going to be forced to "upgrade" when I replace my current laptop and I don't want to spend all day fighting the operating system instead of just copying my shit across.

I couldn't really think of the word I am looking for in google.
So here is my situation:
I am documenting my boss' excel file for his business record and calculation, which his previous assistin worker made.
Now I want to "program" a new excel file and save it as a very big template to use for any kind of event he is gonna work with.
Are there good documentations where I can input something like:
Do ((RowO_n+1) +(RowP_n)) =P_n+1?
So, make some functional work on it and shit?

If it's a disk that came from an OEM manufacturer it might not work as a repair disk. You should download a generic one.

No. You cannot remove the botnet. It is hardboiled in. Best you can do is reduce some of the telemetry with a tool like W10 privacy. There are things like classicshell that help restore a lot of the feel. You might be able to install windows 7 on your new laptop.

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

32 bit windows disc on a 64 bit windows install, or booting in mbr mode to repair a UEFI install

install the LTSB iso, put up with the nags or use toolbox to activate it.

you can use "start", it will open the file with the default associated program.

start meme.jpg opens the file with your default image viewer.

He's using the same disk he installed with. Probably just a janky OEM disk.

Why did they choose to use ARM for phones instead of x86?

I bought a new stick of ram and whenever its in my motherboard the PC will not go past the Starting windows screen. My old sticks work fine so its not a problem with the ports. Its the same brand and model but just a higher capacity.

In BIOS i see that the sticks are there but don't know what else to do besides send them back. Did I miss something? Are these sticks of ram doa?

It's much more energy efficient

(It's not dominated by one (two if you're generous) manufacturer)

When will I be able to get a 5K OLED HDR 21:9 monitor?

My computer isn't booting up, when I tried booting it from the hard drive in the BIOS I just get a blinking_ I swapped to my old hard drive and it works if booted through the BIOS. is my bootloader on my main hard drive fucked?

Say I want to run an anonymous function in place in Javascript.
( function() {
do_sth()
}() )

Why do I need the outer set of brackets?

Can I still use windows 7 with a tyzen CPU or am I doomed go use windows 10?

Could be any part of your windows install. Do a repair.

I get this message
>"This version of systems recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows"

you've messed up your brackets.
you need to enclose the function in brackets to execute it immediately.

function() { ... }()
will not work, hence the extra brackets

(function() { ... })();

the last two () will execute it.

Stop making separate thread chains. Are you the guy who didn't know what a torrent was?

I find that it works whether you do
( function() {} () )
or
( function() {} ) ()

Which is a bit weird. But that wasn't really the question, why do those work when
function() {} ()
does not?

help! can does this pc run league of legend?

(sry for bad englesh)

What are some good cheap mb/cpu/gpu with good linux support like pic related?

>original laptop had 320gb hdd with windows 7 pre-installed
>added ssd two years ago, did fresh install W10 on it
>want to sell laptop but clean hdd entirely with DBAN data wipe
will this also destroy the licence key for windows, or is that on some other piece of hardware?

because it implies a named function and requires a name, where when enclosing it with ( ) it's seen as an expression.
you can do it like
!function() { ... }();
+function() { ... }();
-function() { ... }();
too to enforce it being parsed as expression, but I haven't seen those being used often or even at all.

W10 pairs to mobo.

aye, also if w7 was pre-installed on it?

If you ever had legit 10, you always have legit 10

thanks
gotta love botnet-ease-of-use sometimes