Is computer science really that big of a meme?

Is computer science really that big of a meme?
Isn't it just a general "jack of all trades" starter set?

the only useful thing you learn from CS is asm

Are there any good Assembly books on amazon?

>Computer science
>Don't do any research
>Don't formulate any hypothesis
>Don't actually adhere to the scientific method
>'Science'

Top kek, Social and Political Science is more of an actual science.

All computer related degrees are memes

it's not
you don't learn anything from these as long as you aren't retarded, but it gives any job provider a thumbs up

The S"""TE"""M meme sure wasn't forced by scientists and mathematicians.

Computer science and Computer engineering are LITERALLY the same shit, and if your school doesn't teach them both as same or similar, you're going to a shithole.

LUL.

Only thing useful you gain from Uni is the piece of paper.

Though I won't lie, I did learn something from numerical analysis cl I that I applied at my software dev job the other day.

Now I wouldn't say I "learned it" I.e can make it from scratch. But I did learn that it exists and it's use so I can apply it as necessary. (Outlier analysis is what it's called)

A dev in a small company in Tokyo here. We had a bunch of freshly graduated CS students to go through a "trial" of being asked square questions like "how many people on the Earth are shitting at this particular moment?" for three days straight.
When they left, we were asked who of them we want to work with. The answer to an expected question "but what about their actual skills?" was "lol, they are CS graduates - they don't know shit".
So, CS is there mostly for an employer to be sure you aren't a literal retard and are supposed to be trainable into a dev material.

Is it true that studying computer science in israel is a lot harder than in america and people with degrees from there are considered more desirable?

i've heard this from a few people

>CS is there mostly for an employer to be sure you aren't a literal retard and are supposed to be trainable into a dev material.

This. Employers know what to expect from CS grads, and most of the time, they expect to give them a lot of training before they're actually competent.

If you can prove that you are already competent, you don't need a CS degree or even a degree at all for most companies.

>CS and CE are different areas
BUT WHY
WHATS THE FUCKING POINT
THEY'RE BOTH THE SAME SHIT IN THE END, YOU'RE GOING TO JUST HAVE TO LEARN THE MISSING PART ON YOUR OWN

>w-well uuh in computer science you need to learn on how to think really deep to solve really hard and issue creating problems!!
wow, so just like literally every other job related to computers?

That sounds like an excuse Jews use to hire more Jews

>THEY'RE BOTH THE SAME SHIT IN THE END
Wrong. CE is closer to electrical engineering than CS. It's electrical engineering with a focus on computer hardware and then a bit of programming thrown in.

Haven't really gotten in depth with what computer science does, but isn't there supposed to be programming of some kind there? Or is there just some basic shit everyone learns in 5 min?

It's entirely based on where you study, for example my studies in Norway were the same as CE.
I was CS and my friend was CE, we saw eachother in the same classes at least 90% of the time, which is honestly how it should've been in the first place.

But yes OP, CS is a meme but it's a good meme, just be aware that it's going to be babbies first spoonful of everything and you're going to have to heavily learn shit on your own no matter what.

what should have yandev used? swtiches? recursion?

>recursion
Never use recursion unless there's no adequate way around it.
>swtiches
Switches are for checking a few specific conditions, not for a whole variety of them.

I can't (and don't want to) see the actual source code, but, overall, it looks like a bunch of checks that were implemented not in the place they should've been.
The general idea for checking a complex condition is to check a complex condition - not to break it down into simple ones. Just encapsulate the condition in a method and make it obvious.

Was this meant as bait?

>Just encapsulate the condition in a method and make it obvious.
like make a function that does the checking?

>function
Essentially. Term "method" works better, because while a "function" implies an actual function, "method" in OOP basically refers to a block of code that's to be slapped on the place from where it's being called.

So, instead of checking if(weAreTalking) then if(sheIsThere) then if(sheHasaFuckingGun) etc., you just check for all of them together, but put all of that shit away from human eyes and call the method some sort of name that describes the actual situation. So when on the next day you're having a hangover you still can just look at your code and understand what it does just by reading it without having to decipher all of the condition trees.

If the "alarm" timer has to decrease dynamically depending on some of these semi-conditions, you can just write a formula for it.

Aww. You're so dumb and misinformed.

CS is more focused around modeling and doing advanced mathematics using code. It teaches algorithms and other code structures.

Comp Eng is more hardware focused in the sense of applying code to make hardware do something. So processor design falls here.

EE deals with the hardware itself.

>you just check for all of them together
with alot of &&'s?

so just pack all the checking into a function with a self explainatory name?

>Did the bare minimum in university, just followed orders to get a passing grade
>no internship, got a C on everything, barely understood the course material, just wanted to make video games
>Can't get a job
>"Computer science is a meme!"

I think that's what he's saying though, if your uni separates it into two different programs then it's retarded. Computer science should teach algorithms, code structures, and applying code to hardware.

Yep.
"and", "or", "not" - whatever is required.
The reason you hide it into a properly named method is because it still looks like unreadable shit which obstructs understanding of the code. But if you absolutely need that condition check - at least you can put it away and, maybe, write some comments to it.

I got gainful employment after getting my degree.

CS is a great pathway into deeper mathematics while giving you useful vocational skills along the side...

thats true i guess, but when your frustrated and just want it to work people tend not to care about usability and other functionalities

t.easily frustrated but bears with it