Redpill me on Ubuntu

please talk practical shit, is it stable? is it secure? is it usable for normie and non normie stuff alike? is it fast? is it good looking?

arch fags and genderp faggots need not post
am using debian at the moment

yes

>debian
Ubuntu if you want ot just werk, Arch if you are power user, using Debian is straight retarded

>is it stable?
Yes

>is it secure?
Secure enough for normal desktop use

>is it usable for normie and non normie stuff alike?
Yes

>is it fast?
Depends on your desktop environment, but yes.

>is it good looking?
Depends on your personal preference, choice of desktop environment and so on.

I personally use Ubuntu LTS with Xfce at work, and it works fine there. I also play games on it using Steam.

But at home, I'm completely fallen in love with macOS for day to day use.

>Redpill me
kys

t. arch loser

Ubuntu is shit, mainly because it uses Nouveau and Mir by default. Actually tried installing it the other day, couldn't even get it to be stable with my monitor setup.

>using Debian is straight retarded
No, it's not. It's a stable distribution that can have newer packages if you decide to use "unstable" repositories.

> macOS

why?

>t. just a loser

> Nouveau

Debian also has nouveau on default, but it has loads of garbage on it i dont need like libreoffice and a fuckin dictionary, how do i install it without all the bloatware?

because memes

Use Xubuntu 16.10
It's the best

>why?
Because it just works, and I'm tired with having to deal with crappy GNOME extensions or Thunderbird plugins or GUI bugs in general that crash every time I breathe to hard. Even Xfce has a bunch of quirks I'm tired with dealing with on a daily basis, such as the Xorg DisplayPort daisy chain naming convention that completely screws up Xfce configs and creates a new unconfigured virtual desktop every time I log in.

>debian unstable
have fun user :^)

Yes, but it doesn't use Wayland/Mir by default.

Also, Ubuntu comes with most of the same garbage, like LibreOffice. You can either uninstall them through Synaptic or not select a desktop environment during installation and manually install Gnome or similar later.

but dude mac is botnet

non free software

>not installing Sup Forumsentoo
what a gay

>but dude mac is botnet
I don't care. I use chrome on my workstation too, which is also a botnet. And I'm forced to use gmail for work, which is also a botnet.

>non free software
See above.

Contrary to the name, Debian unstable isn't unstable at all.
hell even the experimental packages aren't unstable at all. Debian is just pretty good.

Sorry, meant to say testing repos.

> And I'm forced to use gmail for work, which is also a botnet.

bad part i guess, hard to run free software when the normies always use non free software, and they are often not compatible because niggers at microsoft dont like to have libreoffice be compatible with office.

I have two machines, one is a laptop with debian on it and one is a desktop running winblows 7, so I am thinking on what might be the best choice for me, not quite certain if I would want debian, but given that Ubuntu is the most popular distro, it should have the most support too.

What about Mint?

Ubuntu is a fine distro.

The key things to look for in a distro are "stability", "default packages", "ease of installing new software", and perhaps most importantly: "ease of googling answers for".

>stability
Not much to say here. The maintainers tend to be pretty careful about this since ubuntu is a common server distro.

>default packages
Ehh, some complaints here, but normies won't notice and wizards can fix it on their own systems.

>ease of installing new software
There's a gui for installing new packages, which is nice if you're new to linux, but as you google answers, you'll find that the command line is easier for this since it's easier to copypaste some commands than it is to follow text instructions on where to click.

Worth mentioning: since the maintainers are careful about not breaking things, the versions of software in the default repositories are often old. If you want the latest and greatest, be prepared to enable unofficial repositories or install stuff manually. If you're not a software developer, you probably won't need to do this much.

>googling answers
This is the real reason to use ubuntu. A lot of people of various skill levels use it, so if you have a question, someone's probably asked it, and someone's probably given a decent answer to it.

Since it's got numbered versions, you can get very specific with your searches, but a lot of the time any Ubuntu advice will work. (A lot of the time any linux advice will work really.)

I don't like Mint. Personally, I think it is an autistic rehash of Ubuntu because the distro maintainers couldn't deal with the fact that Ubuntu moved away from Gnome as default DE. I tried it early, a lot of the bugs were due to the fact that they simply renamed a bunch of executables to Mate-sounding names but didn't get them all.

But in the later years, I see that it's gotten more stable.

Seconding this.

I started with mint and convinced my mom to start using it. She still uses it, and whenever I'm called in for family tech support, I regret that decision.

It tries to be a bunch of things it doesn't need to be, and it doesn't have corporate buy in that ubuntu does, so it has to rely on its community of autists to do everything. Since it markets itself to beginners, not enough competent autists are drawn to it, resulting in a pretty meh distro.

oh well, ubuntu it is then!

>stable
yes, after you let a release mature for a month or two. Stick with LTS with backports/ppa if you want better stability
>secure
It doesn't feature the security like hardened gentoo (as that level of security is not the goal of ubuntu), but since it's backed up by a company, paid professionals and paying customers, you can expect security issues fixed as soon as a fix is available. Ubuntu has a large user/develper community too so there is a good chance they find security bugs before someone exploits them
>is it usable for normalkek stuff
Ubuntu is the normie distro m'lord.
>and non-normie stuff
It is still debian undernath. Want to do a minimal install and use emacs only from terminal? You totally can.
>is it fast
It can be fast
>is it good looking
subjective

Let's not forget this is the same board that uses Mint because installing Gentoo is too hard. Stop with install gentoo meme we all here (or almost everyone) don't know how to fucking use a command line correctly

Ubuntu is fine, just make sure you remove whoopsie and disable apport

install gentoo

Nobody here uses Mint, except you n00b.

>Debian unstable isn't unstable at all.
It is. I literally had debian testing shit itself a week ago and switched to Ubuntu. I don't want to waste my time debugging a shitty OS.

you want stable
pic related has stable

its good if youre fucking lazy but wanna rice like all the arch cool kids but dont wanna deal with the install, basically
GANOO LOONUX EZPZ MODE

There is a ton of software available. The DE and file browsers suck monkey balls.

Made by niggers for niggers and sells your data to Amazon. Arch is all you need to ever use if you're a desktop user.

> and sells your data to Amazon

can't that be disabled?

No. Once your machine is compromised you're fucked.

Are you trolling me, user?

It's based on rolling UNSTABLE (but relatively new branch of Debian called Sid. So, even traditionally stable LTS-es may cause temporary problems between updates. The main principle: have patience and knowledge of what you're doing, because Linux assures you know what you're doing.

[citation needed]

That was a problem with Unity, which Ubuntu no longer uses.

Fedora always felt more stable to me, although its a rolling release.

With Ubuntu putting less focus on their DE and switching to GNOME, I'd like to see what happens, though the only reason I see for running it right now is the amount of packages. People always package .deb's and spam some trash into AUR, but rpm's aren't that common.

How can I get multiple monitor work on Linux? Ubuntu for example. I have 5 monitors and I'm pretty much a noob

you should be able to do it using the settings, if not, set it up using xrandr though you might have to look some stuff up.

alright, I will look it up. Thank you

I use Ubuntu GNOME and its pretty comfy desu
your gonna need an icon packs and a gtk pack
i use paper icons and numix gtk theme