/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do I get when do where Macintosh

should I buy a used Mac, or Hackintosh that shit instead?
there'd be a minimal price difference between the hack/mac

Why is every program a 'botnet' according to this board?

when installing new RAM, which are going to be 8gb x2. does it matter how the RAMs positioned as i currently have 4gb x2 and two empty slots?

How can I get multiple monitor work on Linux? Ubuntu for example. I have 5 monitors and I'm pretty much a noob

Let's say:
1: I install Windows 10 as guest VM in VMware.
2: In VMware, I specify a private network between the host and the guest.
3: My host has an internet connection.

Is there any known way that Windows 10 can escape the private network and get access to the internet?

(Assuming, of course, that I haven't deliberately run any other software on my host that can bridge between the private network and the internet.)

Depends. Read your service manual.

It does matter but I suggest just swapping around until you get a way that turns on correctly

>buying skylake cpu
>can't install windows 7 on a USB
>burn the iso to a CD then put it in the CD/ROM
>finally can install it
>"Expending windows files" stuck at 0% for hours
>error 0x80070017

Not sure the problem is my 8yo disk drive or the CD or something else, the computer is recently built.

This I'd at least try to get the pairs in the dual channel positions

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

Is it worth installing ICM color profiles on a Windows PC or laptop that isn't used for graphic design?

Sweet! thanks for the link

because it starts to be true.

My G400s' feet is starting to get deteriorated, it's peeling itself and leaves a residue.

Should I bother importing mouse feet for this or should I just buy a new mouse?
This one's like 4 years old already.

My laptop is becoming slow and I think that my SSD might be the problem, often it takes 15 seconds or longer to just open a word, powerpoint, eclipse or any game and sometimes it's even slower. I looked into TRIM and AHCI, cleaned up my system as well as i could, ran anti-virus and malwarebytes. Nothing changed.

Pic related is the benchmark I just made. Left is the SSD with my OS and programs, right is my HDD I use as storage.
Looks pretty bad, but the HDD surprised me desu, look at those access times.
The SSD is now over 6 years old. Do I need a new one?

Scale of 1 to 10 how important is cable management to everyone?

Well yes, early SSDs had lots of problems so im kind of surprised it has lasted you this much.

Get a 250GB 850 EVO.

Try to avoid 120GB SSDs.

Sup Forums, I have zero programming/developing/RSS knowledge. How difficult is it to create an RSS feed from a folder of MP3 files?

I have a collection of mp3 files of an old podcast, and want to create an RSS feed of it so that I can put the link into my podcast app and download it as that

My build? 8.
Others? 6.

It affects maintenance.

How much free space do you have on the SSD?

I have a 2 channel Logitech speaker system plugged into the green port of my mobo, and the speaker power is plugged into the same power strip as my computer.

I am getting a buzzing noise out of my speakers. Any idea how to stop that?

Alright. I built mine in November and did an awful job. Should i just rebuild and correct it?

>early SSDs had lots of problems
I feared as much. But the new ones should last longer, right?

45GB

What are some good lectures on MIPS? The lectures at my college are pure shit and can't explain a thing.

How long would it take someone with no experience to become a competent computer programmer? Assume they can spend 5 hours everyday for learning and practice.

A month easily for competence with the basics.
As with most things, it is real world experience that makes you good at programming.

Mute/disable microphone and other IN audio?

I'll try that.

I'd install samsung magician and let it run maintenance on the drive. If your scores don't improve, use the program to make a bootable secure erase program, run it then do a clean install of windows. Then use magician to set 15 gb reserve for performance. If you're still in trouble go ahead and shell out for a new SSD, maybe use the old one to spruce up an old laptop.

is there a simpler way to describe botnet wikipedia/other place is tooo confusing

Didn't work.

Note that I am not technically grounded I don't think. I have a 2-3 prong converter between the wall and my power strip. Any ideas?

>rebuild
I wouldn't rip out the mobo for it, but you could do some tidying up. Mostly you just need to make sure you've got enough airflow for your GPU/CPU. If you're not OCing or using an upper level GPU, it's not critical.

i only have 1 and a half feet on mine and its still all all good. as long as it doesnt scratch at the mousepad itss fine although maybe its not

I'm currently running a Squid proxy on my pfSense firewall, is there any way for it to cache HTTPS without me installing a certificate on every computer in my home?

thanks, i'll probably return here to bitch and moan when i got the parts

It's kinda scratchy, like dried rice building up under the feet. If i remove it, it's just black residue from the melting(?) mousepad

>I have a 2 channel Logitech speaker system plugged into the green port of my mobo, and the speaker power is plugged into the same power strip as my computer.
>I am getting a buzzing noise out of my speakers. Any idea how to stop that?
I have this, my mobo shielding is wearing out and it's picking up static.

Sup Forums doesn't mean botnet literally. Like meme, it has a second meaning here. We mostly use it to refer to shit where the software gathers more information/telemetry than it really needs. A "literal botnet" is an army of home computers that some hacker has managed to take control of through malware, and use to silently do his bidding, like DDOS attacks.

or your inbuilt might be wearing out, try front port or external?

Try the speakers with another device (smartphone, laptop, MP3 player) so you will know if the buzzing comes from your mobo.

I fixed it...

As much as it pains me to admit, the plug had just come loose at the back of the computer.

reposting, in case anyone has that weird solution that might work, but I tried a lot of things and spent too much time on google already, will get a new cable tomorrow and if its still doesnt work I'll RMA next week , AOC has a 3 year guarantee here in EU I just hope they wont fuck me

I have 2 monitors, 1 in vga/dvi, the other in DP
energy saving and all that stuff is turned off
pc was on, running fine like always, I leave for 10 minutes, come back and the DP screen is just black
its power led is on, but it doesnt appear anymore in nvcp, windows settings dont detect it either

I tried restarting multiple times, plugging it on-off, tried others DP ports on the card ( monitor only has 1 port ), checked the nvcp settings which havent changed anyway

I just did a fresh install with last nvidia drivers, same situation, I'm on win10 ( inb4)

the screen just stays black, even during boot, no 'no signal' message or anything like that
pls halp

monitor is the AOC G2460PG

I still dont want to believe it just broke randomly like that, I never have my pc turned on when I'm not there, and somehow it choses to break right when I turn my back for 10 min ? weird. I still suspect windows doing some fuckery with power saving, or the DP port on my 970 just died. anyway its all very weird

well probably worth a try since inexpensive. mine was bit scratchy so i just rubbed the bottom of my mouse on shitty mousepad, after a while it smoothed out where it was hanging off. so u can try that first

I wanted to upgrade my machine to pay sim games, and it turned into me wanting to build a whole new rig. This is what I'm working with now. Someone talk me out of buying all new parts, realistically I only need say, an i7 and 1080? And maybe a cooler for cpu.

I already bought a case secondhand to migrate and recycle stuff into. Upgrade Windows or nah?

>install samsung magician
Tried it, it won't let me run maintenance because it doesn't recognize the SSD, I guess because it's a fairly old one.

>make a bootable secure erase program, run it then do a clean install of windows
Yeah, this might be my last option before I really buy a new one. Thanks.

depends on the game

I have an old 2012 Rosewill RK 9000 keyboard, which has recently stopped working,

I have found that two of the LEDs are a little loose to the touch, and the keyboard will both be recognized and start working when I push one LED to the a little bit.

Would re-soldering the pins fix this?

oh so that why mirc required my life story i guess ty

>I only need say, an i7 and 1080
>only an i7 and a 1080

I hate that black glossy plastic that a lot of electronic items come with nowadays, you know the one that somehow gets a ton of fingerprints, dust, hairline scratches, etc.

I saw a tutorial video that you can use a scouring pad, or the scrubby end of a sponge, to run back and forth on that plastic it take off the glossy finish and create a more "brushed aluminum" finish that not only looks decent but removes all those fignerprints/dust/scratches

I've done it with a few older things I had and it turned out not bad. Have any of you guys ever done this? I may start doing that with all glossy finish plastic I get that I don't plan to resell in the future

That's basically the system I'm running now and I can play all my vidyas on max settings no problems.

Racing sims like DiRT etc
Compared the price of i7+1080 (roughly 800 ish) to the price of i7+1080+new mobo+new psu+new case+fans etc... That's why I talked myself into an all new machine, it wasn't THAT much more after the cpu and gpu to just have an all new rig.

Tried booting linux?

I play most everything on max, I really wanted the upgrade for my autistic racing games though, which DON'T run at max... Months between rallies has me bored as shit.

I need some laptop recommendations since Ill be travelling abroad a lot.
Id be using it for 3d rendering (preferably with gpu). Id prefer if it wasnt an edgy "gaming laptop" though..
So far I have HP Spectre x360 15 and Dell xps 15, but they are a bit on the expensive side... Also not sure about their cooling systems.
Thanks in advance~~

why is everything at drug stores so expensive?

Buy a new GPU.
Your CPU will hold for a while.

$450 for a four year old processor (i7 3770), plus another $450 for an overkill GPU for a SIM game isn't smart at all.

nope, what would be the lightest thing to get just to test the monitor ?

>Sims
>Gtx 1080
You don't like money, do you?

This is why I'm in the sqt rather than blowing my money as we speak, you made your point now offer the guidance maybe?

I may or may not be understanding what you're asking

You say "escape" as if there's some inherent thing that would prevent it. It's all just code. There's nothing inherent that makes that impossible.

The router is independent of that and it just services or prevents access to ports from IP addresses

If you're asking if you can use a virtual machine as a VPN I'm honestly not sure

Buy a GTX 1060.
If you are using 2x4GB RAM get another 2x4GB.
If you are using 1x8 then another 8GB stick.

Also post speccy next time.

What does it mean when throughput in the system is constant and only response time changes (linearly)?
Does it mean that I have to have a bottleneck?

And I thought the i7 was 7700? All the ones I've browsed were 7700k for 329$.

just saying, I run a 6600k, 16gb ddr4 and 'only' a gtx970, literally anything runs like a dream, including dirt rally, forza horizon 3 ( dips into the 50 tho, game runs like shit for most people anyway ), etc
not turning this into a gpu war but your CPU even if not the strongest today is fine and you really dont need a 1080 to have fun with racing games.

Will a phone repair store be able to fix this

If you were planning on getting a 7700, you're going to need a new mobo and ram too, which is why I took the highest end of the generation you have already.

user im not sure what are you doing but a i7 for sims?

For starters i7 is useless for gaming, look for i5 isntead.

Both are the same CPUs, the difference is that i7 has hyperthreading which doesn't affect games.

If you're playing on 1080/60, then all you need is a 580. You probably don't even need to upgrade your processor or ram unless you're noticeably maxing them out.

Yes, that will be $150.

Go buy the screen yourself and pray that its a easy to disassemble phone and it would be $30 tops.
You have to replace the screen and display.

Usually the idea of buying a Mac is specifically wanting something simple and straightforward

If you're gonna take it apart and customise it I'd recommend just buying a machine for Linux. The former is a little counter-intuitive

If you don't have anything to lose by having a machine you can customise though then just get the Hackintosh

Also you probably will need a torx screwdriver.

I guess the cheapest would be just wiping it every time there's buildup.

Right now the only good laptop GPUs are Nvidia 10xx. Also get an intel processor that ends it "q" something, not "u". Unfortunately you'll probably have to get something pretty gamey looking.

Puppy if you NEED a small download size, otherwise I'd go with lubuntu or peppermint.

So then I could stick to my current cpu and upgrade simply the gpu and ram?

This is a relief. So I could cut my gpu budget in half (say 240) and what would I be looking at in that price range?

I already bought a secondhand case (CM stacker or something for 30 bucks) so maybe that will trick my brain into thinking it's a new computer

RX 480/580 or GTX 1060
Just pop it in your current machine and if you run into a CPU bottleneck then you can consider upgrading CPU/mobo

6gb GTX 1060.
I would also recommend getting a SSD if you don't already have one, just because Windows 10 is so unpleasant and unresponsive without one.

Pretty much.
Try to checking your PSU since you are upgrading from a 60w card to a 140~160w one, you will need a PCIe 6-pin power cable.

Look for RX 580 or GTX 1060.

You don't even necessarily need to upgrade the ram. Get something to monitor your specs while gaming and see if you're maxing out what you have now. Rx 480/580 8gb and Gtx 1060 6 Gb are all good options, in this case you'll probably do better with AMD, unless you have a strong need to game in linux.

I have finally the energy to write for some job ads.

They want me to send my cv and the rest as one single pdf.
I have some pdfs, some images, and text documents.
How do I merge them together into one pdf file?

Are there free/cheap email forwarding services that support custom domains and unicode, specifically SMTPUTF8?
I think gmail supports it, but addresses on custom domains cost $5/email address/month.
I tried my registrar's email forwarding and mailgun, but neither supported unicode.

Boot CD that provides drive wiping and works with UEFI?

All my gotos don't support UEFI and the machine I have doesn't offer legacy boot

>How do I merge them together into one pdf file?
You'll probably have to look for a site online that does that unless you want to shell out some money for some pro-adobe tools

There's pobably a broken solder joint on the USB port rather than on one of the LEDs, you might need a multimeter and a magnifying glass to find the problem spot but it shouldn't be that difficult to fix with a soldering iron.

>the machine I have doesn't offer legacy boot
All computers do.

What are you using?

How do I get hardware acceleration going with MPCHC and large mkv files?
I rarely watch high quality stuff so usually I'm fine installing cccp and not giving a shit about it

I'm trying to watch some pretty movies and theres quite obvious stutter from time to time which I want to get rid of , 1080p movies, 15gb file size, 4670k cpu gtx970 gpu, win 8.1
No matter waht settings I choose in lav vid, CUVID or DXVA, checking details while playing it keeps saying Not using DXVA and gpu is just on 20% load while playing

Also try Rufus GPT UEFI setting.

Gtx 1060 it is then, plus a ssd plus fresh install of windows on my "new" machine (ie migrating parts to new case).

I would probably keep my 1tb hdd, so, is it possible to just have windows and important games on the ssd and all my Sup Forums meme pics on the hdd? And windows 10 isn't that bad huh?

what does the cpu vdd18 setting deal with in bios? looked around, but could only find values about it, not a meaning.

r5 1600 and ax370 gaming 5 if that helps.

W10 is that bad.

Since you are reinstalling windows just install W7 Ultimate x64.
If you really want to install W10 use the Enterprise LTSB 2016 iso, but you are better with 7.

For SSDs look for 850 EVO, dont get 120GB SSDs.
Dont get the 3GB version of GTX 1060.

Windows 10 is a tool with updates, but it's not bad for gaming. LTSB won't let you play any game that requires windows store. If it comes down to a similar price, 580 outperforms 1060.

Bumping

Many people seem to recommend the 480 for graphics and gaming rather than just computing, why is that?

>You say "escape" as if there's some inherent thing that would prevent it.

Well, the idea is that VMware would hopefully prevent it, because I selected private guest/host networking (instead of bridged networking).

My question is whether Windows 10 might be using any tricks to try to circumvent this protection -- or if there are potential bugs in VMware that might allow Windows 10 to escape the private network and get access to the internet.

> There's nothing inherent that makes that impossible.

Yes, I understand that. Windows 10 could get access to the internet if there is a bugs in VMware. Or if I deliberately ran software on the host that bridges the private network to the internet.

I can imagine all kinds of ways that Windows 10 could have access to the internet.

My question is: Assuming that I am highly motivated to keep Windows 10 off the internet, and take reasonable precautions to keep it off the internet -- is there anything that I should be worried about? I imagine I can break it into two parts:

1: Design flaws or known bugs in VMware that would expose a private guest/host network to the internet, and

2: Deliberate attempts by Windows 10 to exploit those design flaws or bugs, to gain access to the internet.

My question stems from an absolutely complete lack of trust in both VMware and Windows 10. Perhaps my total lack of trust is unusual -- but from a security perspective, a total lack of trust is the recommended starting point.

when they say "Debian stable packages are outdated" what real life consequences would that even mean to an average user?

That Firefox is stuck on version 49 instead of 52?