Is it possible in 2017 to buy a chromebook and completly replace chromeos with some linux distro?

is it possible in 2017 to buy a chromebook and completly replace chromeos with some linux distro?

i've been hearing about this croupton thing that allows you to run chromeos along with linux, but thats a waste of space.. i want linux alone!

all i want is a cheap 11.6 laptop that i can run linux on so i can code while i take a shit or while i am in the train on my way to work..

Other urls found in this thread:

mrchromebox.tech/
galliumos.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>taking your laptop with you for the 37 seconds it takes to take a shit

i always take at least 30min, its a ritual thing.

The specs will disappoint you. You're better off buying a used memepad or something.

Dat battery life doe

>Have a Dell Chromebook 13
>Muh 13 hours battery life

Linux is terrible with battery, user.

This. And I do it completely naked

This isn't true. My laptop gets a little bit more time out of linux actually. About an extra hour.

I've seen people do it.

it depends on the kernel, distro, and de you're using

I get amazing battery life on openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE compared to openSUSE Leap 42.2 GNOME, like 1-2 hrs more (for a total of 5-6 hours on a T420).

It's pretty easy. I went crouton > legacy boot w/ galliumos > uefi boot w/ galliumos.
You can install linux w/o opening your device, but opening and removing the write-protection screw is easy as fuck.
Some links:
mrchromebox.tech/
galliumos.org/

thanks, this was exactly what i was looking for.
btw what chromebook do you have?

Lenovo N21, I got a few years back for college. Needed something that was cheap, light, and durable. It fit the bill then, but there's better chromebooks on the market now.
Remember, get an intel one to avoid issues and look up the compatibility of any model prior to purchase.

Is there a way to run Linux on a chromebook without having to go past the scary warning sign every boot?

I actually use my laptop in public and I want to be able to use it without alarming nearby normalfags into thinking they're being hacked or something.

Not op but
>Mah nigga

And then taking a quick shower

Open it up and remove the write protection screw, it's much easier than is sounds.
Use the mr.chromebox firmware script from the above source to flash the custom firmware.
btw you will have to reinstall.

This is exactly what i do

Fuck them. Say "GTFO or I'll hack your ass too."

Get a pinebook

You can press Ctrl + D and it'll bypass that screen once it comes up. So it'll only flash for like a quarter second, not long enough to worry the normies

> We'll contact you in February
> We'll contact you in June
Will they ever deliver?