Sup Forums games

Sup Forums toddlers go away. This isn't a thread for you.

As programmers and other adults with real jobs, we all know that video games are for children. But let's be real, not ALL games are for children. There a certain subset of Sup Forums-acceptable games that encompass the following:

- They're either good in short bursts, or have so many possibilities that they're intellectually stimulating.
- They have very modest system requirements. No fancy graphics card needed.
- They're multi-platform. Preferably, they should run natively in Linux.

Pic related is the perfect Sup Forums game. There is literally nothing wrong with the occasional NetHack indulgence.

So what is your favorite, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1268567
youtu.be/OMH-yDR35lI
codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/161559/timeleft-utility
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Animal Crossing

Dwarf fortress because loosing is !fun!

Me too. I only really care about that and Splatoon nowadays.

Farming Simulator while I wait for my servers to reinstall

I work 40 hours a week and have no time for games, but when I do, I play indie shit on STEAM with my WINDOWS machine.

Charles, my brother, you need to stop trying to emulate the autism of Levi. Not even Levi is so autistic that he plays that game.

Trafficworlds

I really like the Atelier series, especially the Arland trilogy.

It's just nice to take a break and play. It's so peaceful. There's no real goal or main plot point, just gather materials and synthesize items. The music is peaceful, the environments you go to gather are pretty to look at, and there are some battles which shake things up a bit.

What makes the Arland series nice is the time limit, so while it's peaceful it forces you to micro-manage everything so that you gather enough of the best materials to create the best items to create even greater items to create even greater greater items, to accomplish some goal or quest.

Particularly, it's a great exercise in time and resource management with beautiful artwork, but the Arland trilogy is only available on PS3 as far as I know.

The newer Mysterious Book ones are on PC though, and the first one (Atelier Sophie) runs natively on Linux with no problems. I haven't tested Atelier Firis though

my sides

I've played the shit out of both ADOM and NetHack. Great games to play when you're bored at work or in school.

Played this last night, psp emulation is pretty easy. Forcing higher res looks decent too

Fuck your criteria, op

back to Sup Forums you degenerate manchild

I keep a Dwarf Fortress game running at work, usually one fortress that I kinda pay attention to sometimes, or on occasion my adventurer games

nice quads. This game is boring though.
>press x to win

>natively on Linux
I meant to say through Wine

DOTA meets all of those requirements.

>>press x to win
Every once in a while I need a break from killing floor 2

I've easily spent more time playing nethack than all other computer games combined. Best game. Best played with text, (box drawing glyphs are fine) and not tiles. Do you numpad Op, or use the home row?

openttd

>But let's be real, not ALL games are for children

Nope

Make better use of your free time, you fucking autist.

>caring what Sup Forums autists think of how you structure your life

ISHYGDDT

I don't always run cisco software, but when I do, you can assume VLSM is involved

is teeworlds Sup Forums approved ?

I hate rogue.

Some shmups are nice: containable, quick, easy to play hard to master.
Pacman championship edition dx is nice as well.

Pic related is great

Redpilled Sup Forumsames:
Faster than Light
Dwarf Fortress
Eve Online
DEFCON
Nethack

Am I a pleb if I play with tiles?

EVE Online

Touhou.

vim-adventures.com

>You guys are fucking stupid for playing video games I do not personally approve of haha

Actual programming is waay more addicting than any game, much more fun if you use a proper language/have a goal.

Once you get addicted to dat problem solving there's no turning back fampai.

Factorio, OpenTTD, most of the zachtronics games

best game desu. anyone that talks shit is just mad their MIT nigger brain can't comprehend quality games. and are also too stupid to learn how to play.

Wait, wait I take that back.
The Trails games are gr8

this is a true Sup Forums game. the rest belong in Sup Forums

Dwarf fortress

DEM DORFS MAN

CTFs

this man's entire collection is literally Sup Forums games. No normie likes this shit. but they're great puzzles and most times you don't need to be a CS Autist.

I have the TIS-100

LOL POORFAG!

You seem to be confused. This is the Sup Forums game thread. This thread is for not for man-children that spend all of their spare change on games, gaming graphics cards and video game consoles. This is not the thread for those who consider games as one of their "hobbies". This thread is for programmers and other well-adjusted members of society who indulge in the occasional game.

There is literally no argument against this unless you're some weak-willed former "gamer" who literally cannot spend a single moment playing anything that resembles a game, lest they take over their life again. And that's your problem, not ours.

Hell yeah. Zachtronics and especially SpaceChem is quintessential Sup Forums.

Wow I never ever saw a Sup Forums games thread before but these are all the games I played over the last year. Especially TIS-100 is cool

That's just 8 hours from M to F. What a sissy.

Also, Gears of War master race.

Someone made a motherfucking computer inside that game. A turing complete computer!

Dwarf Fortress rides the fine line between Sup Forums and not. Although the simulation is deep and full of possibilities, it is simply an incredible investment of time to learn how to play it properly. We're professionals here, in many cases we simply cannot afford that amount of time.

I would argue that, despite costing money, Rimworld is superior, simply because it offers a similar experience while being easy to learn and play. It even runs on Linux.

No love for Rimworld?

i guess a Sup Forums game would be the mainframe trek games

also is that really a nethack shot? i don't remember rooms this complex

My favorites are Simcity 4, Cities: Skylines and Minecraft. I love creating stuff and all offer a lot of outlet for creation. City builders are prime so they are up there for my. SC4 is older but still solid and stands the test of time. CS is heavy, visually better looking and handles a bit different.

civ5

link

super mayrio 64 is a programmer's game.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1268567

learn2google next time

only if you're not pressing A

I feel like you guys are me, and I play project diva a lot~

Great, I just spent 20 minutes looking at scuttlebugs

telehack

Original 2 prince of Persia dos games were the shit, I think you can even play them online in a browser on some websites.

Nobody ever talks about 868-HACK for some reason. It's a pretty fun roguelike/hacking game. Great trailer too.

youtu.be/OMH-yDR35lI

You already know the game's shit just by that youtube video.

Anything Paradox makes
Crusader Kangz especially

just because you take pride in how little you play games doesn't make it not vidya

Dwarf Fortress is /tg/, not Sup Forums related at all.

>They have very modest system requirements. No fancy graphics card needed.
what does that have to do with anything? just so you archbabs can run it too?

Adult with a job here. nice you kids can have some fun once in a while :)

I really dig the aesthetic of ASCII roguelikes, it made me want to develop one of my own. I got pretty far, but burnt out and stopped after a while. It's more of an engine than anything, being almost entirely driven by config files, so maybe i'll return to it one day.

else heart.break() is neat

I think OP is actually serious. People like this actually exist.

This is how some people build up their self worth, by shrouding their pastimes in a thick fog of pure, unadulterated SHAME.
They try to conceptualize their life by viewing it through the warped schema of what a "real adult" is supposed to be like.

It's really sad.

Dayz arma 2
And fuck off if you don't agree

I disagree, enjoy your slavshit.

Also Dota obviously

You just never had a bunch of good friends to play the game with
Sad

Online multiplayer

you sound like someone who would play checkers over chess because chess takes too long to get good at.

you can play with my timeleft utility

codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/161559/timeleft-utility

First, set a time in the future

Then, observe how that time gradually becomes nearer and nearer

You win when you reach the time you initially set

At what age am I supposed to become a joyless automaton that has no time for fun?

>tfw no scuttlebug jamboree

Mandatory TIS-100 post

Unfortunately not many play ctf nowadays

I spend 40 hours at week programming so after work i dont want to be using computers, but when i have free time i enjoy playing N64 ROMs , specially Zelda Ocarine of time

Bad analogy. You can be taught how to play Chess in the span of 5 minutes. Dwarf Fortress' interface on the other hand is actively hostile to the point where third party programs are necessary to actually play the damn thing.

good game until you realize just how easy it is to make money. Need to challenge yourself by doing mountains, or by never doing trains, or only doing one type of transport -- goods or passenger

Blood Island forever!

You already have an entire board for your degenerate hobby. You can go back there and back-pat yourselves about how much you loooooove vidya and how you're not wasting away your life all you want. Over there.

This thread is strictly for Sup Forums-approved gaming.

I don't understand your mentality.
You can't call gaming degenerate and at the same time suggest that gaming is fine if enough people from Sup Forums like your favorite game that you only play on your lunch break from your soul crushing software dev job.

> You can't call gaming degenerate
Yes I can. Why doesn't it matter what words a board you don't belong in uses to describe your hobby? What do you feel like you have to prove to us? Why the white-knighting in a place you clearly don't belong in the first place?

>a-am i fitting in guys???

kek

>Blood Island
>when bloodgulch exists