/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K
amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHD6XX.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

posting again

When plugging my m50x into my computer i can hear a feint squeaking. assuming it is my on board motherboard, and i believe it would be more expensive for me to replace my motherboard and processor so i'd rather get a dac/pre amp and new headphones.

Anyone know a nice set up that is a upgrade from m50x. Got $460 coming in next week and have some spending money in the checking.

Second for detachable cables

Did you try plugging it on the back port?
Some times the front one gets noisy, back one is usually fine.

Open or closed?

Oh i'll try that when I get home
i don't really have a preference. i'd be willing to try open as i'd only ever use them on my desktop

Who /hd558/ here?

reposting from end of old thread:

hey guys i'm lookin for some headphones that I can wear without guilt when my head is stinky cause I haven't showered after a few days. So like, something full-sized, open-backed, very comfy, mostly neutral, but doesn't have a headband that goes over your hair, but like rests on your neck or something, idk literally anything that doesn't have to touch my hair would be fine. I don't care about budget, anything up to like $1k is fine

>Oh i'll try that when I get home
Oh shit nigger what are you doing

Nobody uses the front port and I mean nobody.

Typical open recommendations are:

HD600 / HD650
DT880
K702 / K712 / K7XX
Fidelio X2
HE-400i

It's a matter of finding what sound signature you may like.

>I haven't showered after a few days
u wot m8

Also get this:
amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

Don't let the price tag fool you.

>Sennheiser HD 600 - 279 euro
>Sennheiser HD 650 - 309 euro
Any idiot guide to the difference between the both? Which do I purchase as a good open headphone for about 300 euros?

oh i had a pair of those a few years ago, they stopped working after a bit and were a tad bassy for my preferences but otherwise pretty solid. I totally forgot about them, but maybe i'll pick up another pair. thanks for the suggestion~~~

HD650 has a more sloped response - more bass, less highs. Might be better for listening for longer sessions as it won't get as fatiguing as the more neutral HD600.

If you can't decide flip a coin because both are good.

You can meme all you want but the K701 is clearer than the HD600. Bigger soundstage too.

*snaps your path*

I would disagree here, K701 is a bit veiled because of its weird frequency response past 2kHz that dips into 4kHz then rises back up at 6kHz.

Under what I consider an ideal seal I think the K701 has more mid-bass than the HD600 and even the HD650.

I'd rate the K701 the least clear out of the trio.

Delete tih.s

thats just unacceptable
what a shit brand

Surely if it was a problem there would be negative reviews.

amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H

This is just cherry picking broken headphones in a desperate attempt to make an argument. It's like posting a Toyota Camry that crashed, does that mean all Camrys are fragile pieces of shit?

i'm a dolt

go on...
kys

I have HD 598s and need something to complement them. Should I buy HD 650s, Fidelio X2s, DT 770s, DT 880s, or AKG 7##?

Haven't heard HD600, but I would agree comparing K702 vs HD650. I feel the quality of the HD650 treble is actually really good.

Sometimes I think people just read shitty reviews and spread that around as fact.

I use my front port because the speakers are plugged in the back.
Whats wrong with the front line out?

HD600 + Schiit Fulla 2 will get you started in decent sound.

DT770 is what compliments them best.

The HD650 are very close to HD600, but worse at everything, except for a bump on subbass some people do like.

Most reviewers who own both do prefer HD600.

>muh clamping force
Stop being a fat fuck

>*snaps your path*
*driver imbalances your path*

>got my pair of DT880s a few days ago
>upgrading from SR850
>100% comfy as fuck
>treble isn't as bad as I imagined

Downsides
>3m attached cable
>the adjustment system feels really badly made, there's way too much wobble/play

SNR takes a hit and shit like that.

>protonumales constantly bitch about how heavy their well constructed headphones are
>surprised when cost cutting neoplastic construction that shaves a whole 20g off weight makes for a fragile piece of shit

X2 -> Colored AF, they might sound good if you're coming from Beats, but trash next to HD598.

DT770 -> Closed bass canons. I haven't tested them myself, but what I hear is that the bass is similar to HD598, and everything else is worse. Might be interesting if you need a closed set.

DT880 -> they're just worse sounding, somewhat less neutral HD598s.

AKG 7## -> Known for awesome soundstage, but you already have that on HD598.

HD650 -> Major improvement over HD598 and everything else you've listed. They're almost as good as HD600. They're more expensive. Their "plus" is stronger subbass. I'd suggest HD600 unless you care about strong subbass over everything else.

A few month ago, I upgraded from HD598 to HD600, and I'm not looking back. They're better at everything.

What can I do if I want speakers and phones both plugged in? I'd need a preamp right?

>Closed bass canons
>bass is similar to HD598

A Sennheiser shill can't be this fucking retarded, can they?

Too many Sennheiser shills here lately. You know things are bad when they delude themselves that the HD600 has a clear sound, clean treble and great soundstage.

>HD650 Their "plus" is stronger subbass.
>DT880 -> they're just worse sounding,
somewhat less neutral HD598s.

lmao.

>ive only listened to 2 headphones, the 598 and 600!!

>there's way too much wobble/play
Premiums have loose clamp compared to the Pro versions though both have the same extremely soft pads so the driver touching your ear is common with Pros. I'm thinking of getting Pros with DT770 Velours to help with that.

>I upgraded from HD 698 to HD 600
So, you've never had any of those headphones? Opinion dropped, but now I know why you gave such a fucking autistic answer.

Yeah fuck those sennheiser shills and their neutral headphones, pic related: clean treble

>Clear sound
>Clear treble
>Great soundstage
What did Sennheiser mean by this?

>Top: AKG K702, Q701
>Bottom: Sennheiser HD 600, HD 650

What DID Sennheiser mean by this?

>HD 698
How do you fuck up quoting someone

Since everyone and their mom is a shill here, let me give you good advice.

The HD598 is tuned to be relatively neutral and you want something to COMPLIMENT it so that removes all the other relatively neutral headphones on your list. That leaves Fidelio X2 and DT770. One is open and the other is closed. The Closed headphone may come in handy as an alternative when you don't want to leak sound or when you need isolation. Also the DT770 has strong sub-bass, something the X2 can't do. The DT770 is also strong in the areas the HD598 is weak in (bass and treble).

My advice is to get the DT770, specifically the DT770 Pro 80 ohm limited edition.

Don't bully the sennshills.

Sorry familia, I tried my best.

innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf

dat distortion tho

I've been using these for awhile now and I feel like they're going to break on me soon. Are there a pair of IEMs that have comparable or better sound signature, build quality and comfort than these below $115?

All in the game of mid-range headphones, user.

Would you rather have ass-wipe driver imbalance, or some distortion?

Looking for something with a microphone that matches the following:

>Budget
< $300

>Location
US

>Source
Wireless

>Type of headphone
full size

>Open or closed
Either

>Comfort level
Whatever

>Sound signature
Similar to Grado SR60s or JVC HA-RX 900s

>Would you rather have ass-wipe driver imbalance, or some distortion?
neither which is why i use hd600

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

>HD 600s are old pieces of shit from the 90s that are so dated they cant even function on modern audio hardware unless you pay at least half the cost of them for gimmicky paperweights to simulate an 80s home theatre
>HD 650s are over a decade old and just rehashed that shit from the 90s
Technology has advanced and given us much better and modern offerings. Why do people cling on so desperately to relics of the past?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>he thinks headphone technology has been improved

it hasn't moved in decades lel

Good 'ol nostalgia; the HD 600s reminds me of my mother's old kitchen countertop :)

muh set up

see image here

Frankly beyer need to think of a better design, I got scared shitless when I was adjusting the left earcup yesterday, it was making an awful scraping sound

kys chink shill

>HD 600s are old pieces of shit from the 90s that are so dated they cant even function on modern audio hardware unless you pay at least half the cost of them for gimmicky paperweights to simulate an 80s home theatre
Uhh, I can power it on my phone and I plug em straight into my motherboard.

High impedance is great, I never worry about needing an amp due to possible varying output impedance values on my devices

DT770 aren't bass cannons like everyone says. They have a lot of sub bass, but not a prominent mid bass bump which makes headphones muddy.

The highs are boosted, but not piercing or sibilant, and easily fixed with eq.

Would be a good complement to most neutral open headphones.

>Sennheiser could release HD600/650 mk2 and idiots will clear them out

Aren't Sennheisers supposed to be neutral? Whatever happened to that meme?

what hybrid is this? Looks pretty nice.

But they are... for headphones.

Don't tell me you think AKGs are neutral?

AKGs have never been neutral, and the same thing goes with Sennheisers.
Are these somehow neutral graphs now?

So tell me then... which is MORE neutral?

Are you same guy from previous threads?

In that price range? I'm not sure, but people need to stop memeing HD 600s as neutral headphones.

Why are Sennheisers more expensive than the equivalent AKGs and Beyers?

Looks better irl.

It's actually pretty dark looking, despite the shinyness it has in pictures.

Looks it's going to sound warm as fuck.

HD600/650 got several tweaks since they were released.

Because AKGs and Beyers are inferior products.

They're the AMD of headphones.

Slow as shit lol

They're less neutral compared to what full-sized similarly priced headphones?

I'd be scared too with that scraping sound.

2bh the only thing better is er4s/er4sr but who wants to wear in-ear dildos in their ears

>Sennheiser is the Intel of headphones
>While snapping is an issue
Seems about correct, user.

This. Unless you need more bass the 600 is superior.

The only headphones that are actually more neutral than HD600 is SRH-1440 / SRH-1840 but the bass roll-off and driver distortion are bad.

There have been some discussion about the K601 being very neutral as well but them seem to have a different response than the K612 as seen on InnerFidelity.

Because they are the best and most natural sounding in their price range. They are SO good that even being old as fuck doesn't stop them BTFO other headphones sometimes even pricier. And for mad cuck's reference people don't want other headphones, people want HD6xx for 10th time because they are so good.

Fucking wow. Nobody who owns the 600 praises the 'clean treble' or great sound stage, which it doesn't have.

You seriously sound like an akg faggot. Just earn more money and stop crying.

innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHD6XX.pdf

I dunno, shill-kun. This seems really fucking top-tier to me.

>The only thing Sennheisers have are mids
Colour me surprised!

AKG ain't trash. It's just the k702 are no HD600. But they also cost much less.

The k712 are worse except for the exaggerated soundstage, yet having that combined with reasonable sound at the same time makes them appealing at their price.

The beyers, however, I can't see how to defend them. The DT770 and DT990 are just colored garbage, whereas the DT880 are almost as expensive as the HD600, but don't even hold a candle to the much cheaper HD598/599.

>HD 6XXs are better than the actual thing
Kek.

Triggered as fuck.

Left finished

If Sennheiser is good then why their headphones are not as good as flagships from Focal, STAX or Audeze?

Those are really old measurements, the HD6XX is a newer measurement.

Sennheisers are the designated mid-fi shitting area.

These are effectively just the HD650 made for massdrop, and their driver matching is pretty good.

Random senn-hating user will however keep spamming his shitty pic with a particularly poorly matched specimen of HD600.

Because Focal, STAX and Audeze headphones are shit. You're right, the senns aren't as good, they're far better.

>Sennheiser shills are this delusional

Not as good according to whom?

Also, how much do these "flagships" cost? Is it fair to put them against cheap Sennheisers?

Good job, senpai. Keep it up!