Pyra Handheld - Your opinion?
>5" 720p LCD with touchscreen
>WIFI
>runs Linux
>Open Source
>modular
>HSDPA/LTE (3G/4G)

What do you think about it?
In my opinion it's sad it doesn't have a microphone for calls so I can use it instead of my Smartphone but it's still a nice idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pandora/
youtube.com/watch?v=x2CA0UE6yRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YWlZ3B_hq_g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it has perfect design for me
but its overpriced and hardware is not powerful enough in 2017

get a vita and install homebrew on it. better than these chinky kickstarter pieces of shit.

i would like it to be more like the zipit z2 and a bit cheaper (i understand it's price though). other than that it's a cool litle thing. i woudn't buy it thoug because i don't really have a use for it.

SHIT
OVERRATED
VAPORWARE
TOO LATE
JUST AS SHIT AS NEO900 PROJECT FUCKED UP BY EGOTISTICAL AUTISTIC LINUX ZEALOT ASSHOLE DEVS

this has a real keyboard though
and it runs debian

I love its form factor, the two SD cards in the front, spaced out keyboard layout, easily accessible replaceable battery, and clickable thumbsticks.

Shame it has such poor specs for its price, a lot of thought put into its design.

>ARM
No thanks I'd rather waste my money on a GPD portable than waste my money on this.

>overpriced
>don't really have a use

Exactly. It's sad it won't replace a phone.

Anyone know of any similar products like this that aren't overpriced chinky vaporware?

Wait what? Wasn't that some Linux game console thing that came out a few years ago? I thought it was shit

Another useless ARM device, right?

>ARM
to trash it goes

Overpriced, underpowered garbage

zipit z2.
it's smaller and more confortable but it has a tiny (320x240) screen and an ANCIENT cpu (300mhz).DONT RECOMMEND IT

GPD Win or GPD Pocket
That said, anything in this form factor is pretty much going to not be worth its cost. (that cost being both money and usability)

I swear this shell has been invented before

HOLY SHIT I'M NOT CRAZY.
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pandora/

its shit

I watched this review a while back:
youtube.com/watch?v=x2CA0UE6yRQ
and pretty much it gave me the impression these things are mostly for portable /vr/ stuff, not actual development. They're not worth the investment tbqh. You can get a laptop that can do everything this does better and at a cheaper price. If I got it at a huge discount (like around $100-$150), I may consider it though

What the fuck, that's just a rename for whatever that other one was called.

Ah, so they're the same company?

Like a few of the other similar devices out there right now this seems like a good idea that's arrived too soon.

AMD's next-gen SOCs should make an open source handheld with enough power and a large enough library to be useful for more than PS1 emulation a reality.

How, a Pyra thread. I wonder how many more of these I'll see before someone finally makes one as "PYRA FINALLY RELEASED"

Shit's like $500 for the worst parts of a phone, a laptop, and a gaming console. I love UMPCs, but they don't really have a purpose anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=YWlZ3B_hq_g
When my case arrives, I'll be done this with modifications so that it acts as a regular screen and not just terminal. I think that's what UMPCs should be. Fun, comfy, kinda ugly projects. I can't picture really tiny laptops styled professionally catching on.

These are all shit. Just use a laptop.

Looks like that old Pandora thing from like 7 years ago.

>it doesn't have a microphone
but you said it was modular

>ARM
DOA
O
A

Ugly and too thick

Honestly, if this were cheaper and made between 2007-2011, I would look into it. But, it's about $500 and it's basically the Pandora again. I would honestly rather buy a chromebook from a couple years ago since it can practically do everything this does at a WAYY cheaper price.

It's neat but certainly nothing I'd spend that much on. I'll pick one up for cheap on eBay in a few years, maybe by then it'll have a CPU upgrade available.

You're thinking of the Pandora. This is its successor, the Pyra.

Can't put a laptop in my pocket.

That's because it's basically an updated (and still out of date) one.