/gogl/ - Gaming on GNU/Linux

GNU/Linux games, tuning and setup for gaming discussion. Game developers welcome.

Thread on /t/: Pros:
On Linux you'll get better performances than Windows once devs port the games.
Your system is malware free.
Your system won't crash as much as Windows.
You can use Linux for a year without rebooting.
By not buying Windows you can use the money to buy games instead.

Remember, no tux, no bux:
1. Don't trust a company when they promise a linux release, wait until the official release.
2. Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions for telling developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.
3. Wine is best for old tittles.
4. The unique solution to gaming on linux is to force developers using openGL / vulkan / game engines permitting a cross platform software.
5. When you see a developer supporting Linux promote him as much as you can on forums, write about him on your blog and tell your friends how much you appreciate his effort. Remember, Gabe Newell believes in you.

Steam
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD
steamcommunity.com/groups/BrokenLinuxPromises

GOG.com: webupd8.org/2014/08/lgogdownloader-command-line-gogcom-game.html

News and Reviews
gamingonlinux.com
lgdb.org/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

Open source games
penguspy.com
libregamewiki.org/Main_Page
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

Wine wiki: wiki.winehq.org/Main_Page
Database of games running in Wine: appdb.winehq.org/
Wine Staging (latest and experimental features for Wine): github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation

PCI/GPU Passthrough
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2lkPpoAhE
wiki.debian.org/VGAPassthrough
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/

>Glorious master race goes on steam forums to beg for scraps and """force""" devs to use things that will benefit them by screaming and shitting their diapers

Then what are you afraid of? Do you fear losing market winshill?

>linux
>gaming

No, you dual boot like a human being who wants both linux and games

I like that image (:

Wayland makes games suck on linux

Nope, I've seen the light, Linux can have quality native games, and already has.

Then why do you need to grovel and beg on forums?

this thread belongs to MODS PLEASE

>Don't be ashamed to post on the game forum or steam discussions for telling developers to port a game you wanna play on linux.

No company really takes these seriously because chicken and egg.
Many games don't even work on Mac for fucks sake, and that has something like 4-5X the marketshare of Linux.

Call me when Overwatch gets ported over.

>tuning and setup a rig
>not Sup Forums
that is damn hypocrite you fucking winshill

>Gaming
Hello influx.
There's a dedicated board for that.
Fuck off to your containment zone

So, are you going to complain about the NVIDIA or other GPU/gaming threads?

>no answer
I though you wouldn't

Because we want to close the gaming gap between Windows and Linux.

I agree that Steam is shit

Linux user here, fuck you OP. I'd rather have all my games running on my windows VM with seamless mode than having 2 steam clients for no reason. Also, the steam client on linux isn't that great: instead of your system's file picker it uses steam's file picker so no thumbnails for you (even if you're using it outside of the in-game interface).
Linux will never be good for gaming simply because there's no reason do anything on Linux other than: program, stream video/music, host a server, run VMs and browse the web.
>gabe
Oh, you mean that gigantic kike that almost fucked PC gaming entirely because of paid mods?

>linux gaming

this

games that are actually made for Linux run great. It can be great, if the game devs want it to be great.

>overwatch
you mean tumblrwatch