Yet another botnet disaster

E-mail organizing service Unroll.me sold scanned their customers inbox for Lyft receipts and sold them to Uber according to an article in NYT today.

Article: nytimes.com/2017/04/23/technology/travis-kalanick-pushes-uber-and-himself-to-the-precipice.html

Excerpt: twitter.com/dnvolz/status/856173836676497412

Fallout in progress: twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=@Unrollme&src=typd

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/2/2766215/gmail-man-video-microsoft-google-privacy
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=@Unrollme&src=typd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's why really everyone should boycott amurican shit.

/thread
Only Israel and Saudi Arabia are worse

>Uber employees were also told to create computer programs known as scripts

Quality article

>a free service
>that rifles through your mail
Whew who would have quessed?

It really is not that complicated. They have to make money somehow and if you're not paying what do you think they turn to next?

Unroll.me (((sells))) """anonymized""" data of its users.

normalfags blown the fuck out

Stallman was right.

Trusting tech companies with ANY of your data is just asking to be backstabbed.

These stories always make me laugh. My data is useless garbage, yet retarded marketers buy it, while I use services for free.
It's like paying people with your own doodoo

>My data is useless garbage
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

>yfw they are able to deduce your sex life from e-mail usage pattern and sells your data to a Chinese protein sex doll company

>providing your login to a third party
gee what could go wrong???

whai is unroll.me

tl;dr: captures all recurring emails (like newsletters and shit) into a daily digest and allows you to unsub them with one click.

Lol, their excuse is just "Should have read the TOS".

B A S E D
A
S
E
D

based this is same shit as google do, early ms tried to fight it with "gmail men"
theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/2/2766215/gmail-man-video-microsoft-google-privacy
but normies couldn't give a fuck so they made win10

>we do not send email content. we extract anonymized purchase data from emails. And we are not horrible. Really!

>twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=@Unrollme&src=typd
jesus christ, that damage control...

Thinking of the people in charge of PR makes me sad.

the people whos data is being sold to other companies probably have it worse
also nice trips

>dude, you said it was ok

>that picture of their HQ open plan offices
What the fuck? That looks more like a quick and dirty LAN party setup than a workplace, I don't even want to know how it feels like after working there for a few months.

Like you're among 25 year olds who have no fucking idea what they're doing just goofing off until the VC money runs out.

Uber is honestly one of the worst companies both ethically and economically in tech right now and I can't and probably will never understand why people and investors continually throw money into the open fire pit that's them.

So basically a spam filter for normies? Anything that properly handles mail can do this on it's own (Claws + SpamAssassin, Thunderbird, Mail.app, GMail)

Because it's the hot new big "disruption" start-up, and everybody else threw their money in it also, so you might as well also.

I'm pretty sure Uber reporting a massive loss and losing market share will be the beginning of the current SV tech bubble bursting.

I use Uber from time to time and it's cheaper than a cab. Most drivers tell me it used to be cool and get good earnings but nowadays some are barely breaking even.

>used to be cool
>nowadays some are barely breaking even

According to them, it's because a lot of people jumped into Uber to make money, so now you have a lot of drivers. There's just so much demand.

The market will sort it out.

Too many drivers -> drivers leave until profit can be made

>The market will sort it out.
>the invisible hand of the market
I get what you mean, and I know you mean well, and I don't want to be mean but fuck you man. If markets truly self-regulated bubbles won't happen.

But this might hold for Uber, unless you know, new drivers get into some sort of revolving door.