/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress and single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to Ryzen 7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470-RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 580 if same/cheaper in your country, and/or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>RX470/570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report. (especially intel-shill)

Other urls found in this thread:

us.hardware.info/reviews/6030/4/total-war-attila-tested-with-23-gpus-test-results-wqhd-2560x1440
ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Z170-PRO-Intel-Socket-1151-DDR4-ATX-PCI-Express-3-0-x16-Motherboard-/322492355501?hash=item4b160ad3ad:g:03oAAOSwWWxY~NgZ
pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/JtpYJx
pcpartpicker.com/list/6XVGRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/fcqRbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/CFhmHN
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Battle of the PCBG, oh joy.

THREAD WARZ BOYS
The other OP even took out the bit about brand loyalty being bad

Should I upgrade my 4790K to a 7700K?

I've got a 240Hz monitor and I emulate a lot of older titles. I want maximum CPU performance, or should I just wait it out for Zen+/Coffee Lake?

The answer is almost definitely no, though I'm not sure what exactly you're playing to know how affected it is. Gamersnexus put out a reasonably comprehensive bench comparing intel CPUs from 2500k to current, you might take a look at that
I'm almost positive you'll be throwing money into a pit, though, especially as you'll need to update your RAM/motherboard as well

Wait for X299 when Intel launches an 8 core monster for $400 with fantastic single core performance.

Not worth the upgrade yet.

You'll have to wait for at least another generation.

Best thing to do is ignore the shill's threads. I been absent for about a week and just realized what happened. Pajeet made his move.

Nah. No current CPU will give you respectable 144hz+ FPS. So just wait.

Are you retarded?

Fuck it, I ordered the VG2401. I've wanted a 144hz monitor forever and I'm just going to get it. The only one with better colors seems to be the Samsung VA panel, but it's curved and I'm too autistic to make that many changes in a short period of time. I don't think there's any other "budget" 144hz monitors I missed.

I really hope Vega isn't shit, my 290 is a fucking jet engine.

Best of luck to you.

My XL2411z has terrible picture quality but I can't give up dat 144hz.

>VG2401
Fuck, I mean XG2401
I've never used an IPS panel, so I figure as long as I avoid it forever I won't know what I'm missing. This is supposed to have "good for TN™" levels of color, so we'll see. It's through Amazon, so I'm not worried about returns.

What are some quality cables to get? I need to stock up on USB, HDMI, more USB, and DisplayerPort cables.
Amazon sells cheap USB cables but they're shoddily made. The metallic folds that keep the male end lodged into the female often flatten out and the cable just falls out if you tilt it. I received I really nice USB cord with my PS4 and I want more like it.

Anker is a solid brand.

Ok so I need a microphone to go along with my headphones (my old ones broke). Need some solid advice. Hit me with it senpai

Is it just for talking in teamspeak/Discord or do you need something high quality for streaming?

Nah just for discord.

vmoda boompro
i don't think the antlion is terrible either
this all assumes you're looking for something to attach with your headphones and not a standalone

Either is fine, I've heard that stand alones are better though. Thanks for the suggestions though.

>when Intel launches an 8 core monster for $400 with fantastic single core performance.
current intel 8 cores cost $1100, user.

Intel didn't have any reason not to charge an absurd enthusiast price, now they do
We'll see if they actually give a shit or if they lose enough market share to do anything significant with their next set of releases though

7700k is king of single core performance, clocked at 4.2GHz + 4.5GHz boost. Priced at $325.
7740 will be the same but slight clock boost, can expect a similar price.
A $400 8 cores with singlecore performance would completely cannibalize their 4 cores i7, unless the 8 core is not clocked high (just like the 6900k) but then it wouldn't have monster singlecore performance.
Also, there's no need for it. The 7700k is still getting better sales than the r7 1700. They're not gonna go agressive until Zen+ and even then they might not go agressive. Th
The lower i'd expect a 8 core cpu from intel would be $800 but lower is unreal because intel wants profit before anything

A ~$420 6 cores clocked at 3.6 base to counter ryzen properly by attracting the moar coars crowd isn't unthinkeable

Shitty gayming question
>1080p v. 1440p for esports titles
Does it make a difference? Will I care? Assuming you have the card to power it is there any reason not to pick up 1440p?

better to have higher hz than higher resolution. depends on your game though.

For esports titles you generally want the most fps possible so the benefits of 1440p would not be enough to be worth it. Unless you can manage a constant +120fps that is.

Is an RX 580 good for 1440p?

Are you playing AAA titles and expecting maximum or very high settings? If you are, then no. If you're willing to get away with medium settings around or slightly above 60fps, or are willing to drop as low as the 40s and as high as 60 on very high, you'd be okay. If you're trying to really drive a 144hz monitor with it and expecting to get into the upper range you will be disappointed

Yes, but you will have to turn down some absurdly demanding options that don't add much visual difference in a few games (watch dogs 2, dishonored) if you want to be constantly above 60fps. Other games won't have any problem. 1070 if you don't want to spend time tweaking options in said game, but even then some games like watchdogs have it at 59 fps average at ultra

I can't even really tell the difference between high and ultra 90% of the time

As long as it can play massive battles in Attila: total war

>massive battles
Without knowing anything about the game at all, that sounds more like it would be CPU bound. If you're looking primarily at performance in a single game, find benchmarks for that one game or look at what benchmarks are available with cards similar to yours.

That said, you're probably be fine, especially as you don't seem averse to losing graphical fidelity in certain areas.

From my short research a 580 will probably have to play on Medium settings to stay over 60fps at 1440p, but it should make it.

1070 or a cheap Fury when they are on sale for ~$230

us.hardware.info/reviews/6030/4/total-war-attila-tested-with-23-gpus-test-results-wqhd-2560x1440

Here's my primary source - the 580 should compare pretty close to the GTX970.

I want to get a 1070 but they're $500 for the cheapest one here in Canada, compared to the Rx 580 which is like $320

Disgusting.

7700k is king of housefires and stuttering

poo in loo

Back to your oven, kike.

Should upgrade from Phenom II to Ryzen?

maybe

How do I know if a motherboard has wifi? The one I am looking at has a Realtek GbE LAN chip.

Maybe.

I mean, I have a Phenom II 1090T and I'm planning to upgrade in June, but my reasons may not be your reasons.

It will say it has WIFI. If it doesn't say, it doesn't.

What's the best X370 board under 200$ for Ryzen?

Is the Asus X370 Prime Pro the best all-rounder? Is it true it has the best power delivery?

ASRock X370 Taichi. It got a 10 out of 10 on some website that doesn't give out 10s a lot.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Z170-PRO-Intel-Socket-1151-DDR4-ATX-PCI-Express-3-0-x16-Motherboard-/322492355501?hash=item4b160ad3ad:g:03oAAOSwWWxY~NgZ

Found a cheap z170 that doesnt come with cables and accessories. Does anyone know if it would still be worth buying?

The Taichi is 244€ around here while the Prime is only 166€. And doesn't the Prime have the same VRM as the Taichi?

First of all, fuck you for tricking me into thinking I could safely recommend you american products.

Taichi offers built-in Wi-fi, 6 more power phases, and I/O shield, and an Ultra M.2 slot over the Prime Pro. Prime Pro has an HDMI and DP ports you're not gonna be able to use your with Ryzen so you're gonna have lmao dedports.

There's also the
>Asus BIOS
meme but I'm not up to date on all that.

Just get a Gigabyte mobo

pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/JtpYJx
Rate please
>inb4 vega
Already accounted for. If it turns out to be cheaper, i will switch the ssd for a cheaper one and hope i can afford vega 11

>cheaper
I mean better

Why not get the 1600 and OC it yourself? Why the overpriced mobo? Drop the HD and get a proper sat 6 SSD with the savings.

Also:

>1080p monitor
>GTX 1070
What?!?!

I also have a 4K monitor. I just want a smaller one for a different setup

>No current CPU will give you respectable 144hz+ FPS. So just wait.
wut?
My 2600k was able to hit 144fps in many games
CPUs aren't really a bottleneck these days.

Go up to 1440p 144hz and it removes even more bottlenecks.

>wi-fi
useless for me, will be gathering dust

>I/O shield
What the fuck are you talking about? Don't all mobos have that?

>an Ultra M.2 slot over the Prime Pro
Only at PCIE Gen 2.0 x4. Won't that bottleneck any decent NVME SSD?

>BIOS
No idea about that. Is the Taichi one good? Does it allow Ryzen overclocking while keeping the ability to downclock and downvolt at idle?

Able to hit 144fps is not the same as stable 144fps.

I'm looking to move to 1440p in the very near future. Is a 1070 sufficient for non competitive games on decently high settings? Should I fork over the extra 100 for a 1080?

Alternatively, I heard that Vega is around the corner, is it's release likely to get me more bang for the buck? I'm hesitant to wait, I played this waiting game last time i upgraded my gpu and I ended up buying what I was planning on originally (gtx770) cause the AMD cards were having heat issues and price inflations from bitcoin miners.

Taichi are the best motherboards currently, unfortunately they are sold out everywhere.

1070 is a low-end 4k card. It is more than enough for 1440.

What kind of answer is that user? It contains no info.

I might get a Taichi, but it's much more expensive than the Prime and I need to justify such a price difference. What makes it so much better than the others?

>OC
I want to hit 3.9GHz without having to OC and hit the voltage wall.
>overpriced
The average X370 board is $200. Whats the difference between the Gigabyte, K7, Gaming 5 and the K5?

Will the ryzen 1600 bottleneck a 1080ti at 1440p? Best alternative if so?

I just don't know why you're bothering with a X370 board. And "not wanting to OC" is a stupid reason when it's super easy to OC a 1600 safely to 3.9 even on a stock cooler..

The I/O shield is just a cover on the motherboard over all the external ports. You're thinking of the panel that goes in between the motherboard ports and the case. Most motherboards have that component.

The Ultra M.2 isn't the bottleneck for the NVMe, it's the PCie x2 that does it because you essentially have half the bus size.

My fps it limited to 144fps by mail afterburner.
It was a 100% solid 144fps in a lot of games.
My 2600k still hits 144fps 1440p easily as well.
Not in demanding games though, as I'm GPU limited.

>The I/O shield is just a cover on the motherboard over all the external ports.
And what's the purpose of that if I don't plan on punching my motherboard?

Listen, I'm just giving you the facts. Go buy whatever piece of silicon shit you want and put together your computer already. You already sound like you've made up your mind.

The only games you'd hit solid 144fps are older games. Modern games will not hit solid 144fps even on 720p.

Are you ok user? I was just curious to know if it serves any other purpose. You don't need to get mad.

>Best thing to do is ignore the shill's threads. I been absent for about a week and just realized what happened. Pajeet made his move.
Yeah. I've been a bit too busy, too.

Anyone else can make a new thread and just ignore the shill. There's not just designated people that can make /pcbg/.

>I really hope Vega isn't shit, my 290 is a fucking jet engine.
Does an artic accelero or similar cooler not fit it? You should have done that ages ago.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6XVGRG

Which HDD should I get? These WD Golds look crazy but I'm not sure if they underperform in areas that aren't really discussed.

can /pcbg/ be renamed /cpug/

also should i get a 500GB 2.5" SSD or M.2 SSD

>Does an artic accelero or similar cooler not fit it? You should have done that ages ago.
>assuming I'm not a tech pleb
It took me months after building my PC until I felt confident enough to open it up and install another HDD/dust it out. The concept of removing the fans/installing an aftermarket one terrify me.

Do you actually need the features either of those provide, or is this just a generic storage drive

It really doesn't matter. It's just a form factor. But I believe m.2s are more expensive usually.

>/cpug/
I think we shitpost hard enough in these threads already

Any help with this one guys? I have a friend who builds pcs who could put it together but I'm not sure what exactly would be missing from a motherboard with no cables and how much they would cost to buy.

I want something that's fast and reliable but I guess you'd just call it a generic storage drive?

>And what's the purpose of that if I don't plan on punching my motherboard?
Isolates airflow through it goes through the places that are easier to clean dust from.

>Will the ryzen 1600 bottleneck a 1080ti at 1440p? Best alternative if so?
The only games it'll bottleneck 1440p are games that are just shittily programmed and not designed to go over 60/110fps or whatever like Nier, Bayonetta, Fallout 4, etc.
So, no.

An RX580 is sufficient for 1440p 60fps. Plus you get the benefit for cheaper freesync. I don't think a 1070+gsync 1440p is worth it. That's like $500+ for a monitor instead of $350$-600 for Freesync... So at minimum an extra $150 for the monitor unless I'm missing something.

>Alternatively, I heard that Vega is around the corner, is it's release likely to get me more bang for the buck
Obviously. Gsync throws value out the window.

If you have the cables and accessories already, sure? Simple answer.

>but I guess you'd just call it a generic storage drive?
You could just pick up a WD Blue if you don't need the additional features. If you really want specifically a 2TB 7200 drive then sure, but you might check if you actually need that much space or what you're storing on it.

This is also assuming you have an SSD in your build and are using it primarily for boot/games/frequently used shit that isn't media

I'm willing to pay the premium for black or gold, but I'm just curious if anyone uses a gold in a normal gaming/workstation build or what.

No, Black is usually the one people get if they want a higher-tier HDD.

Gold seems slightly better and the 4TB is on sale for a good price.

Well get it if its on sale.

Usually gold is way more expensive,

The Gold are hermetically sealed with helium.

Still seems too expensive. But Black is so expensive right now, too.
I could swear I saw 2TB Blacks for $90 last week.

$190 for the 4TB doesn't seem too terrible, though. Maybe I should get one myself. I've done a good job of cutting down digital hoarding lately, though, so idk.

It's $154 for the 4TB if you have a student email and buy directly from the WD website. They also have discounted Black (and blue, I think?) drives there too.

Why are seasonic power supplies recommended over other brands?

Theyve been in the business the longest.

meme reputation over the years.just look up scores on jonnyguru for the PSU you're interested in. EVGA typically scores well

could i potentially get a better mobo ? Also are patriot ram sticks good quality?

pcpartpicker.com/list/fcqRbj

>Modern games will not hit solid 144fps even on 720p.
What are you fucking going on abOUt?
Sure, you have a lower some settings, but 144fps is easy to hit with modern GPUs.

Can you name some modern games that hit stable 144fps on medium or better?

meh I don't have a student email

Because other brands change manufacturers after they get a good review on a model to some shitty manufacturer.

Seasonic is both the manufacturer and their brand name. They're always manufacturered by Seasonic. Most of the good models of other brands are manufactured by Seasonic.

There are other good manufacturers.. but it's often changing who manufactures what model so it's hard to recommend a specific model as it could have changed over what was last known.
Like Seasonic used to make some of those cheaper to midrange EVGA and Corsair models but then they changed them in the middle of last year yet people still have still been recommending those models even though if you look at recent reviews they have tanked in quality.

What are YOU fucking going on about? I'm not that guy but tons of games are shittily programmed in a way that they literally can't hit 144fps even if you have a 7 GHz overclock on LN2. And if they do they cause problems like how GTAV hitches for 100+ms when it hits 160fps.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CFhmHN
Is this a good build? Im new to Sup Forums and i want something for playing FPS on. My friends told me more cores were better for games

Friend is trying to sell me a GTX 1050 Ti for $80 buck, he only used it for 3 months. Should I take him up on it?

I can name one. The Division can in DX12 with crossfire RX480s an a 1800x.
DOOM can on lots of different hardware. Even a lock i5, I think.
For Honor has an easy time getting 144fps minimum on Ryzen.
Rainbow 6 Siege.
But I can also name a ton of games that won't.

Many games can hit 144 minimum, namely "dumb" shooters. Many can't.

I'd say