Holy shit it's a reason to go to Best Buy for once

bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401
These things apparently open up to reveal WD Red drives, which aren't meme-tier like Black or outright dog shit like Green or a Seagate Barracuda.
The bare drives themselves are something around $300, what the fuck is WD doing?
>unironically buying anything from Best Buy

Other urls found in this thread:

techdirt.com/articles/20170106/10163236419/fbi-is-apparently-paying-geek-squad-members-to-dig-around-computers-evidence-criminal-activity.shtml
bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401
bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-book-3tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605522.p?skuId=5605522
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's wrong with bestbuy? (Except that they don't fucking keep anything instore)

Geek Squad are literally FBI rats.

what's this contain when you open it?

The ignorance of their employees is offensive

wut
I don't talk with anyone.

well no shit, they hire anyone who can set up a Bluetooth device and plug in hdmi cables to an xbox.

Former employeee here
They hire anyone for any job. Absolutey no training ever, they just toss you to work after you get a shirt that fits. Most of the time supervisors and managers don't know shit either and have to ask the oldfag who never wanted a promotion because the pay isn't worth the 80+ hours a week

bricks and mortar = sales taxes

Here's how you into reading:
>These things apparently open up to reveal WD Red drives

techdirt.com/articles/20170106/10163236419/fbi-is-apparently-paying-geek-squad-members-to-dig-around-computers-evidence-criminal-activity.shtml

Nice find

>OP posts product at price that is too good to be true
>90% of replies of why you shouldn't buy it is from butthurt fags about how geeksquad are a bunch of assholes
never change Sup Forums

Used to work a shitty stocking job.
They gave me a discount on everything in the store, including the 4TB WD externals.

Let me tell you at 90 bucks a pop, I cracked three open for a freeNAS RAIDz1 and still use it to this day.

>WD Black
>Meme

What? It has five year warranty and lowest failure.

>WD Red
It's literally a Green.

>WD external
Enjoy no warranty when you open it.

If you go on there website (like to check if they have something) they put a lot of marketplace prices on their shit, but when you walk inside the store none of the marketplace shit is there of course, so everything is 10$more than you expected.

>black
>meme

Black are literally the best WD drives

and meanwhile in Sweden the cheapest 8TB external drive is $400

i hate the european union

>>WD external
>Enjoy no warranty when you open it.

you can literally buy two of them for the price of one. Fuck warranty here desu

>They hire anyone for any job
I've been trying to get something just to survive at Best Buy for the last three years, and they don't even touch me, despite the fact I load their online app with every possible cert from Cisco's own program at my college for the schooling section, along with the fact that I do shit on the side for a load of companies in the area with a tons of big-name references. My theory is that they're actually extremely picky, and will ignore anyone that could breeze through any given position for a trivial paycheck, or has a conscience regarding repairs and recommendations

i wanted to see if best buy had a price mistake or not and this is what happened

>SMR hard drives

>Enjoy no warranty when you open it.
What is Magnusson-Moss?

>>SMR hard drives
What?

That's why you ask for a price match.

>Got an s cover for my S7 edge from bestbuy for 10 dollars intead of 60 because it was cheaper on Amazon.

all recent wd external drives come like this inside.

Ever heard about overqualification?

Not this one, it's got SATA plugs. Which makes it even more bizarre, you would think WD would want to bait people.

writing to an SMR goes at about 12MB/second, pretty much 1TB/day
that's the same speed we were getting from PATA drives or 100mbps ethernet

>bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401
Geek squad has gotten some kind of bounty thing worked out for cp. Not sure what else they would find to beef on.

>not living in NY state

I can just crack this open and put the HDD in my computer right

You won't have a warranty if the drive failes prematurely though.

Red drives ARE dogshit

Can't remember what their niche use is, but I know that if you're just looking for a single drive for home use, they are the worst

Look around for business client suppliers and wait for them to have a clear out on enterprise drives (as old or excess stock)

Enterprise drives are designed to be high performance and highly reliable - these drives are designed to be moving data 24/7

True, good point. It's not as discounted as I thought anyway so I'm not buying it. I was just talking to my friend about drives and we both agree that it just feels bad spending money on non-SSD storage these days. I think I would rather have a fast 256gb nvme than a 4tb hdd even though I'm really low on storage space.

I got one of these when they were on sale for $250.

Been running torrents off it 24/7 still good.

Ooh. How do i know if a drive is SMR?

You need to check press releases and reviews for that. I don't think WD or Seagate advertises their drives as SMR anymore for obvious reasons.
To my knowledge, 5/8/10 TB Seagates are SMRs and 6/8/10 TB WD (and Hitachis) are SMR, although there are some exceptions within the 6TB range (like WD Black, Hitachi Deskstar/NAS)

Thank you, user.

Interesting. I'm in need of a cheapish external for my ps4. Was going to cannibalize something with an old USB 3.0 enclosure and swapping an old shit tier drive, but upon further review, even the my books are good.

Thinking about running down and picking up this...

bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-book-3tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605522.p?skuId=5605522

Should I do it and post results?

Could I buy one, remove the drive and add an old 80GB or something and return it for my momey back?

T....thats fraud a...user!

>yes if you can get past the void if removed stickers.

>fraud
Meh.

I don't think they have stickers, I had a 4TB My Book and it didn't.

Sometime the thing won't come apart if you don't remove the label. The effect is the same.

Don't think it has something like that, my enclosure didn't. I removed the 4TB Green drive and put it in my PC.

My books come with green? I read it's a dice roll, but can come with many different drives.

Mines did, it's not that bad but I wouldn't get a Green drive. I fucking hate the parking feature, it's very annoying.

just bought the 2tb
thanks for the heads up OP

Amerifats do this scam all the time with drives bought at walmart, some user even posted a story some months ago about how he found an old samsung drive inside a WD external bought there which was filled with corporate documents from a Kellog's factory.
Look it up on the archive.

Geek Squad
Piss poor computer selection and variety unless you're getting apple shit
Their "techies" couldn't tell the difference between an SSD and an SSID even if they had google open
Fuckhuge phone area where a lot of it is just wasted/empty space with nothing there
And at least for the one that I go to, they tried to weasel out of price matches ("Oh uh, this price you found online is just for a flash sale"; "Sure this one is lower priced but that's not accounting for s/h charges") to the point that I once had to take it up with one of their higher ups who was visiting the store.
When I buy tech from retail, I always go the extra distance to Microcenter because at least those old ass grandpas running it aren't trying to be complete asshats.

Daily reminder that externals contain drives that expected to fali sooner and it is the only reason they are sold within secondary enclosures.

If you buy one of these fucking things you are literally an idiot.

You're literally too qualified. They don't want to pay you.

Why the fuck would you want PMR? Are you trolling or retarded?

Red is blue blue is green. There is no green

That's pretty fucking funny.

What's wrong with seagate barracuda?

>no training
K hun. Except the sales training and 1 on 1's. They even send every knew hire of every round out for paid training. It's sales training, but it's training. Why do you pretend the store is there for any reason other than to make money? Of course there not going to pay experts I. Different fields to sell, that would be retarded. Cmon. Why would you expect ANY retail job, to not consist of high school amd college dropouts?