Got this in 2000 as a gift from my parents

>got this in 2000 as a gift from my parents
>dropped it once but was able to repair it because sony actually provided service manuals for theese
>survived the whole ipod/mp3-aera
>losless cd quality
>as easy to handle as a cassette but way smaller, lighter and better quality
>one AAA-battery lasts for about 20h, rechargeable within the device itself
>you can record from every fucking source with a simple cable
>not dependend of any service or software
>great for live recording
why is the minidisc again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kU3BceoMuaA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*dead again?

Checked

Lossless? This isn't Hi-MD.

Nice satatan

MD isn't lossless. But it is one of the few standalone devices which does digital in/out (S/PDIF) and so is useful in some niche applications. A small local band I know uses them for recording sessions without having to bring computers along

you're right, regular MD is not lossless, but still superiour to most mp3.

What a stupid blog
Go back to Rddit or kill yourself

Looks comfy, wish I grabbed one of those back in the day.
Now we have smartphones with shutty audio outputs. Thanks apple.

Nice quad

It's not apple's fault that every chink want's to rip off them and cutting corners in the process.

thanks user

you can still get them on craigslist or ebay, even amazon is still selling some.

if you don't like the topic, piss off.

i guess he's talking about the ipod. service-wise it was a step backwards

>needed software
>could not record
>build in harddrives eventually dies and bricks the whole device.

I had the mz-nh1 until it was stolen out of my bag during a trip

beautiful piece of kit, would buy again if i could find one and figure out what to do about software for it

things cost as much now as they did when i bought one new in 2004 though

HAHAHAHAHAHA
no

Sony also made was slim Walkman sized DAT players and they are better than MD so what was your point again?

One part fear of piracy and one part flash memory based media players.

>why is the minidisc again?

Because Sony fucked up. They had a great media on their hands, but decided to make it insanely expensive for other manufacturers to license, AND they believed so much in their own brand that they could survive with a proprietary media format.

Yes it was fucking brilliant and yes i fucking wished it became as mainstream as ordinary cd's, especially in computers. But nope, Sony dun goofed, as they did a million times in that era.

same thing with the UMDs in the PSP and the memory stick vs. CompactFlash or SD card. sony has always had a boner for propietary formats. with the BluRay it worked because they licensed it at a reasonable price and you could get your discs fabbed by numerous parties.

Took them far too many tries to finally get it right with the bluray. Just imagine if minidisc became mainstream in the 90's.

Oh yeah, to add to your list of proprietary formats: remember atrac? It was actually a part of what made the minidisc contain so much information.
I had a discman with atrac3 support. It was pretty awesome to have hundreds of songs on a 700mb cd-rw.

I had a net-md walkman mz n510 and the atrac3 thingie was pretty neat.
I remember it came with 2 programs, one for ripping cds and a jukebox kinda? open mg?
Ripping cd's was pretty easy and straightforward that was the sonic stage?
But the other one? it was a shitshow.

Ive seen a couple of music and sound production studio's that still use minidisc.
Its like the betamax of the audio production world.

DAT was never meant to be a consumer format.

>>losless cd quality
ATRAC3? That's actually worse than mp3, user.

Perhaps because people don't store their music physically anymore. Perhaps because this is a relatively long-winded way to listen to music. Are you autistic or something?

just kill yourself

Storage size and the death of sales for physical media for music is why it's kill. It was too beautiful to live.

I miss my Minidisc players, they deserved better than what they got.

youtube.com/watch?v=kU3BceoMuaA

>Excellent video explaining MiniDisc.

Those were a real nice piece of technology.

>Are you autistic or something?
probably. also, most stuff i like is not available on streaming services and i buy cd/lp/mc anyway.

It was just one of the other countless stepping stones to pure digital. I liked mine at the time, but it sure wasn't as special as you want it to be. All physical media sucked. I fucking hate clutter

>but still superior*** to most mp3.
Nope.