How frequently do you upgrade your stuff?

How frequently do you upgrade your stuff?
I get a new phone every three years.
And I don't upgrade my laptop until it gets seriously outdated (like five years old or something)
People tell me that I should upgrade more often but I don't get it, every new phone looks the same except for a few tweaks here and there. And laptops still work even after years of heavy usage, they aren't fragile like smartphones.
Also what phone are you currently using? I still have my Google Pixel from early last year but I'm considering getting the Galaxy S8 or maybe even wait for the S9 next year.

when shit breaks or i want something improved in the newest

I always go high end, never cheap shit
so I get like top expensive shit then keep it as long as I can. It usually stays relevant due to high specs.

This

>when shit breaks
I don't understand how people manage to do this; I've never broke any phone I ever bought.
The first thing I do when I get a phone is buy a case and a screen protector. I still have an iPhone 4s from 2012 and Galaxy S6 and they're working perfectly.

Shit happens.
What if your phone cooks itself? Or just stops turning on one day?

I just update whenever I feel like the jump is large enough, or shit breaks as well.
Batteries don't have infinite cycles you know.

>How frequently do you upgrade your stuff?
I change phone only when the one I have starts malfunctioning to the point of hindering usability.

I had a Nokia N70 that last me seven years, and then I changed it because a few keys wouldn't register keypresses anymore.

I then bought a Samsung Galaxy S4, which is now close to being four years old; the back camera's picture quality is now terrible, screen flickers visibly, it's slow as fuck, but it still works.

I think I'll upgrade to a Galaxy S8, or a LG G6, or equivalent bezel-less smartphones, if I'll find a good deal with a carrier.

>PHONE
I still have a oneplus version 1 from their first shipment after the kick starter

I only use it as a phone and gps so I see no reason to upgrade anytime soon

Thinkpad T420 from 5 years ago, Galaxy S5 from ~4 years ago.
Before the S5 I had the S3 but then the radio shitted out.

I'm using a Galaxy S3 and Thinkpad T60P

Every year. If you weren't poor you would understand. Changed my last year 6700k at 4.7ghz to a 7700k at 5.2ghz watercooled.

I don't use a phone because I use Linux and I'm not a Android fag

>worse than vegans

However long it takes for software trends to make my stuff excruciatingly slow to use or totally obsolete. It's not a set amount of time, though.

I went many years into the smartphone era with a feature phone simply because I had everything except GPS/nice maps. When I looked to upgrade for those, I went with the cheapest option: Lumia WP. That did well for years until the app market totally tried up and third-party substitutes were taken down. Now I'm on an Android handset that I'll use until it doesn't support software or hardware features I end up needing.

i upgrade whenever i think i miss something in life..

only to realise after the purchase that this feel hasn't been fixed

I try to keep my phone for two years, although certain realities (e.g. lost device) make that hard.

>2011: Buy AT&T "Samsung Infuse 4G" (a modified Galaxy S1). Regret purchase, slow as shit
>mid-2012: Buy Galaxy Nexus. The charging port goes just outside of a year. Amex refunds me under the extended purchase protection. I buy a Nexus 5.
>late 2013: Buy Nexus 5. Lose device towards end of summer 2014.
>late 2014: Buy a OnePlus One. OPO's shitty warranty support leads me to...
>late 2015: Buy a Moto X Pure. Enjoy the phone largely but then the updates slow down and Moto's warranty department is fucking ABYSMAL
>late 2016: Bought a Google Pixel which I love.

If I can be more fucking careful I intend to keep the Pixel at least two years. My hope is the Pixel line continues to succeed and Google makes their own silicon so they're not tied to Qualcomm's horrendous support policy of "lol we're only providing new driver updates for two years, sorry manufacturers" stops.

Other shit:
>laptops
My X230 is 4.5 years old and I don't intend to replace it soon, I did just replace the battery. 16GB of RAM works fine, 1366x768 screen is a bit tough but it does fine for web browsing.

>Desktop
I built a $550 AMD Phenom II X3 hobo build in 2009 that was on its last legs. I built a much stronger desktop with a Haswell i5 and 32GB RAM/960GB SSD/AMD 290X that I'm going to upgrade periodically but intend to keep longer.

I keep my laptops until they die, and always invest in a high end one. Smartphones are all different. I used to do every year since I was never happy with what I had. I've actually had my Nexus 6 since 2014 and still love it

the last phone I bought new was a nokia 62xx, don't remember the year.
my first smartphone (ishit) I won.
since then only hand-me-downs.
currently on a hand-me-down LG G3 as my hand-me-down ishit 4 stopped playing any sounds.

Galaxy s3 2gb ram version and 2600k and GTX 670. I see no reason to upgrade those. I have a newer Asus laptop, only because college and it's my first laptop, had 150 dollar bestbuy gift card, plus there was a $100 student discount and it was on an extra $250 dollar sale student discount. I regret it

My iPhone 4's power button just stopped working one day and I couldn't turn the phone on anymore, and my HTC One m8 stopped charging one day and I had to replace it. I take care of my stuff, but sometimes the company screws you and it isn't your fault

A moto g4 plus.

This is the first time I'm upgrading to a better phone without my current one being totaled. What a fucking piece of shit this is. budget phone is a meme, flagship phone is a meme mid range is best.

I buy new PC components or a new >rig when I feel I can't play the vidya james I like with adequate performance anymore.

As for phones, still using my Nexus 5 and not planning on upgrading until it dies. Its only weak point is the battery, and I'd carry an external one with me regardless of the phone's capacity, so it's almost a non-issue.

>not waiting a year for flagships to depreciate then snagging them for 250-300 dollars less

Wait what's wrong with your G4+

Not really a flagship anymore after a year though. But yeah, that's also an option I guess.
Everything honestly. If I had to pick the single most horrendous thing about it I'd say it's Lenovo.

consumerism is a scam, upgrades are a spook, put the money you would spend on that shit away and stop falling for the technological jew

more often than i should. i remember not caring about phones and at all when i was younger and using the same blackberry imitation thing for like 5 years. now i use a oneplus 3t. significant downgrade in certain ways

I only upgrade whenever something stops being good enough for my use.

I've only had 3 cellphones in my life. Nokia 3510, Nokia Lumia 610 and now I've been on my Sony Xperia Aqua M2 for around 2 years and desu I don't feel the need for buying another phone for a long time unless I somehow manage to break it. I can't understand people who go and buy the latest Iphone or whatever each year even when the old one still can do pretty much anything you need.

When I feel like it. I switched to my current phone after a year and a half of using my old phone just because the newer one had different features I wanted to try out. I'll probably switch back to the old phone at some point and be going back and forth between the two, possibly getting a third I've had my eye on, for the foreseeable future.

Had the s6, wanted to wait for pixel 2 but couldnt so I went with the s8. After an hour of deleting bloatware is by far the best phone ive ever had, do it op

When the harware makes everything unusable. I used a phone that had like half of the touchscreen not working, I had to rotate the phone all the time, so I could let the apps in horizontal in order to do stuff.

I'm using a Moto G3 right now, looks trash, lags a lot since the day I bought.