Why is this so hard to understand?

Why is this so hard to understand?

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2017/01/31/stop-windows-10-rebooting-after-updates/
wsusoffline.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because unnecessary automation.

Doesn't it behave itself now? I installed a little while ago and got to pick my "I'm busy, don't bug me" hours. Am I in for disappointment when it ignores me or something?

there is no legit reason to update to w10 from w7

cortana

>got to pick my "I'm busy, don't bug me" hours.
So what if you one day happen to be doing something important outside of those hours? Isn't it ridiculous that your OS doesn't just let you decide every time?

are you mentally disabled

I'd help you though, there's is 1 (one) reason - Forza Horizon 3, I'm contemplating dual boot w10 for it exclusively

What happens to your Windows 7 when it's no longer supported?

Windows 8

I disabled all updates and ties to M$ right after I installed it in 2014. Why would I even want to update it, let alone receive "support" from fucking microshit of all companies.

Because microshit is too lazy to hire real computer scientists to completely redesign a brand-new windows, and they'd rather just hire code monkey pajeets to slap half-added code on top of an already existing operating system.

What happens to your Windows 8 when it's no longer supported?

Gentoo

>hard

It being exploitable because windows needs security updates for all the holes microsoft let in their software.

I figure it'll let me do what it did right after installation: let me finish what I was doing and then apply the update. Is that not a thing I can do with future updates?

>Poomb
>Gwomp

This baka desu senpai. New exploits are found every day. You shouldn't have to disable critical security updates just to make the operating system usable. That's just a bad workaround for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

I've never had problems with software security in the last 15 years, might have something to do with me not visiting dodgy sites and opening unknown .exes. And even if I AM vulnerable, what am I ultimately risking? Becoming part of a "botnet" or mining operation? I'd take notice momentarily because I know every running process and normal system loads by heart.

> hating on windows tan

Everyone thinks they're good until someone in China uses their credit card to rack up debt. Don't be stupid user. Update before you hurt yourself.

That sounds better for people who use their computer on a regular schedule but it's still utter bullshit that there's no option to turn it off altogether.

True, but then we're outside the scope of this thread entirely. Stick Man sounds cool with applying updates.

You have to be clinically retarded to use overdraftable credit cards for online purchases.

why can't people use this?

>this is the only way to have your identity stolen online
The future doesn't look too bright for you, I'm afraid.

What is there to understand user? are you cheating on me by dual-booting linux too?

user, they don't actually use Win10.

You didn't even try Windows 10 did you?

Whatever makes you sleep at night. At the moment I am risking infinitely more allowing MS to tinker with my OS. Fuck them.

Why would I dual-boot linux, when I have WSL?

Windows 8.1. And what's with the support? If you have the latest possible hardware, that could be a valid reason to update to 8.1. if it supports it.

By the way, what's the status of Ryzen and Windows 7? I'm so far removed from having the latest hardware available in my machine, but I'm interested nonetheless.

why can't i leave my shit open for 8 days without my computer deciding to close everything and restart it?

just friendly advice, user. In an increasingly digital and online world, the same practices you've used 15 years ago won't be enough as time goes on and criminals get smarter with technology.

>winbabbi gets to pick his """busy""" hours
How cute.

what if you happen to change your hours
you then have to worry about changing the system

utter garbage

its low grade
people are having to manually maintain their deteriorating shitheap .. linux updates without downtime/reboots

>he keeps complaining about Windows 10
>still hasn't switched to Linux, OSX, or even stayed with Windows 7 until Win7 security support ends in 2020

Why do people still do this? I keep a Windows 10 virtual machine just in case I absolutely need to use a Win10-only application, but I only use Linux and occasionally a Win7 virtual machine for my day-to-day productivity, browsing, and even gaming. For over two years, 95% of my computing has been done in a Linux environment, and I'm not a developer or neckbeard.

You should at least be installing the "security only" updates. You have to grab them through the online update catalog. They're not cumulative, so you have to grab the ones for each month and install them individually.

>big linux update
>takes maybe 5 minutes max
>doesn't even require reboot

>big windows update
>takes 1 hour
>resets all your settings
>forces you to reboot
Why the fuck can't Windows get this right?

W10 is needed for games now thanks to DX12 and retarded devs using it and nothing else.

You realize it's Linux users making these threads to try to justify their poor decision making, right?

>Linux
>shit-tier OS
>after 5 minute update, still shit tier.

>Windows
>God-tier OS
>after 5 minute update, still God-tier, only better

Why the fuck can't Linux get this right?

N-no, Windows-tan, I would never...

i don't even care about support
oh no microsoft won't install new spyware on my computer automatically anymore

i'm still on XP, propably switching to seven soon

>Windows
>God-tier

hahahahahaha fucking stockholm syndrome
>"You need to restart your computer to apply this settings change. Restarting..."
>"Program successfully installed. You need to restart your computer to complete the installation. Restarting..."
>forced restart to apply updates
>can't use your computer while installing updates; have to sit there and stare at the screen as it installs them
>"we couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes..."
>"restarting..."
>can't refuse specific features in an update
>can't refuse updates at all, unless you disable them completely, but...
>have to disable critical security updates just to make the system usable
>but it will only be usable for a week because Windows has more holes than swiss cheese
>still need an anti-virus
>still need to defrag occasionally
>still need to reinstall Windows regularly due to windows rot (this is arguable, some people say that you won't get windows rot if you take precautions, but no such measures are required on other operating systems)
>BSOD- It is NEVER acceptable to let the entire operating system crash when a single application causes a problem, yet Windows allows it.
>can't change the Desktop UI without some broken hacky shit
>can't customize anything outside of what Microsoft "allows"; it's Microsoft's computer for as long as Windows is installed on it
>feature creep
>ads in file manager
>ads in settings UI
>ads in start menu
>ntfs (LOL)
>still uses registry (LOL)

what the fuck happened that made it necessary to explain everything like I'm eight years old?

It's because they're too cheap to hire people that actually know what they're doing and they don't want to invest the time or money required to create a brand-new operating system that doesn't suck, so instead they just hire pajeets to copy-paste code and .dll's

Linux isn't an OS. try again, wincuck.

>what are security updates

Arrived at work at 8, turned on my computer as usual.

Windows 10 decided to start an upgrade, which lasted a full hour. No work actually done until 9:04.

There's absolutely no valid reason why it would upgrade at startup instead of before shutdown last Friday when I turned it off for the weekend.

Turn off auto restart in the windows task scheduler. Windows has a tendency to re-enable this setting if it's disabled for too long. To fix this, you have to rename a file in the system32 folder. It's simply called "reboot" with no file type. Rename it to reboot.bak. Updates will still download and install on their own, but windows will no longer auto-restart.

betanews.com/2017/01/31/stop-windows-10-rebooting-after-updates/

Remember to always make a fresh backup of your windows install kids. With MS forcing updates down your throat, never know when said updates will fuck your machine. I cannot believe this is honestly the state of windows now. What happened to MS since XP? Or windows 7? When did they start seeing their users as nothing but data mining prospects?

Around the time that they decided EVERYTHING needed to fall for the software-as-a-service meme. Including your fucking OS. Not allowed to just own and have a thing anymore. Because you see, MS didn't make any money from it when I installed Windows 7 last week from a disc I got in 2010. The idea is to turn customers into constant revenue streams, not just single purchases here and there.

You realise your attitude won't save you when some chink rapes your credit card right?

>You're too stupid to decide when your updates happen!
>If you put it off, we're coming over and making you update damnit!

It's funny, if people would smarten up enough to use Linux, I'd lose most of the cash I earn by fixing all the Windows fuck ups. Even my computer illiterate grandpa who needed help every month hasn't needed help in two years since putting him on Linux Mint.

>install Linux
>decide you want to try a new hobby
>YOU MUST SPEND THE NEXT 5 YEARS LEARNING LINUX TO DO THIS! LINUX IS YOUR HOBBY NOW!
>decide to leave it as a Facebook machine

>install Windows
>decide you want to try a new hobby
>Windows opens the world to you
>After years of romping through endless vistas, each more beautiful than the last, you do something that fucks your configuration up.
>have to pay a NEET $10 to fix it
>Get it back and continue on in absolute bliss

You're right, Linux sounds much nicer.

this is not true

I've only been using Linux is my daily driver for 2 years and I've picked up digital art and programming as hobbies.

Windows just kept getting in the way when I tried doing this :(

>windows
>opens the world to you
>windows

That's funny. It has more restrictions than macOS. You only pretend it doesn't because more developers make your video games for that platform.

You can program on a fucking napkin.

>what are security updates
Whatever Microsoft wants them to be. It's a proprietary operating system after all. Good luck proving if anything at all gets patched.

that's less of a pain than windows programming

Why doesn't it need to shutdown to update?
Is this some kernel limitation or Pajeets just can't do it?

Napkin doesn't have PEP8 or traceback.

Can't windows pro users defer for 35 days now for security updates and a year for feature updates? Is that enough? Or is the only solution never sending to Microsoft (they always have) and disabling all updates? I find it hard to believe this is the normies' general opinion of 10.

>With MS forcing updates down your throat, never know when said updates will fuck your machine.
It has happened to me several times already, I don't know if I'm that unlucky or what, but I don't remember ever having such problems with 7.
Windows Update is also broken on fresh installs of 7 and 8.1, you have to manually download some updates first to get it working.
It's depressing to think that this is what the most popular OS family in the world is like to use.

Five years to learn? You learn awfully slow don't you? Took me a month to adjust after 22 years of Windows. Haven't missed it once.

A month to learn? You must learn awfully slow don't you? Took me a week to adjust after 22 years of Windows. Haven't missed it once.

>cheating on me by dual-booting linux too?
No, I'm just going to wait until my hardware is supported and install a distro.

>put computer to sleep last night
>It wakes up after an hour
>Fans start hauling ass for 5 minutes
>It goes back to sleep
>Hard drive makes a distinctive screech as it turns off
WTF was his problem? I haven't started it up again yet, slightly scared it ruined the drive

What kind of insult is this? You claim to have higher intellect, yet you also claim to have stuck to Windows just as long.

Smells like bad bait.

What kind of insult is this? You claim to have higher intellect, yet you also claim to have stuck to Windows just as long.

Smells like bad bait.

I'M A FAGGOT

Yup it's truly sad. As much as the Linux users on Sup Forums think, MS was a decent company at one point in time. As for updates on windows 7/8.1 why not just use WSUS offline updater? Straight forward and easy to use. I got my living room PC on windows 7. Got all patches/updates installed in around 30 minutes.

wsusoffline.net/

I know you are, but what am I?

If you postpone for too long it will literally restart whenever it wants to.

This. It's fucking retarded. One of the reasons I'm using Linux to actually get my work done these days. It doesn't just randomly reboot to do updates (wasting 10 minutes in doing them, possibly also wasting up to half an hour of unsaved work).

Man, fuck Windows. Honestly. It's turning into complete shit and at this point I only have it installed for games.

I wonder how many (You)s populate this post.

This is what to expect when talking with a hurt Windows user. I'm satisfied with this level of reee. Time to go outdoors.

I know, so why are we still updating?
its like 20 years old?

or you could just use your computer correctly and never have anything lost.

Playing lol, about to initialize team fight, suddenly windows popup asking me if I want to update.

Die and lose team fight as I frantically try to close the fucking popup.

Who thought that was a good idea?

Shut your computer down at night like once a week at least. Probablem solved.
Retards like op who just spam remind me later for years are the reason it is mandatory.
If you are too fucking retarded to schedule updates or anything you necessitate it being shoved down your throat.

Lmaoing at the guy who doesn't understand anything about security.
>if i don't click an exe i am totally fine!
Somewhat unrelated but i lovr people like you because i got free wifi from shit like reaver for years, because if it isn't ransomware or something totally obvious, everything is fine! I didn't click gethacked.exe.

WSL.

Here's your (You)

>DX12
nice meme

(You) forgot your (You)

(You)

That's because Windows was never designed to turn your computer into a glorified gaming console. It's an operating system for working. It needs popups to inform the user of different things. It's not the responsibility of the operating system to help you do well at video games.

Reposting from the other thread.

Let's just excuse the fact that Microsoft created a graphical API exclusively for its operating system, then claimed it would not support OpenGL on Vista. It's not like they wanted to hoard all the games or anything.

>Games for Windows Live

What you say is correct. Nevertheless, Windows was never designed specifically for games. They add support for games as an afterthought.

Perhaps they should rethink a little then. If they're going to attempt to monopolize something, they should at least try to do a good job of it.

>windows is a service
That's kinda scary. Windows 10 is probably going to be the last Windows.

Never! Cause then you couldn't watch me and I know you like that

>buy windows 10 professional edition
>turn off literally all telemetry and windows functions
>basically a paid version of linux but i won't look autistic in front of others

seems good