/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress and single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>delidded i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470-RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 580 if same/cheaper in your country, and/or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>RX470/570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/tpDhJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/9jQLBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/yxtrf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/sdgqyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/FJv2NN
pcpartpicker.com/list/zYtrf8
gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list
ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&_sacat=175673&_saslop=1&_sasl=refurbforless ryzen 5
pcpartpicker.com/list/PhLff8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NWvNFd
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VfTtBP
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YdkzgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/K3ZcvV
onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8-pro-for-students/
onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think I fucked up. I ramped up the core clock of my CPU straight from 3.0 to 3.7Ghz. The computer then rebooted, and kept shutting off and rebooting repeatedly. I let it go on for 5 times whilst panicking and the pressed the reset CMOS button. Did I damange shit by doing that?

>These sorts of things are "all or nothing" right?
No, if the GPU is seated in the PCIe port without being powered by the cables coming out of the psu (forgot the name), it might not be able to display anything even though the led will turn on and so will the fans. It depends on how much power the card needs.

>As in remove it and reinstall it?
yes
>I can try a newer cable
Try it!

You're too anxious then. If the mobo cannot handle the memory overclock you did, it will simply show you an overclock failed screen or reboot 5 times trying really hard to make it work by tweaking the settings and show you the screen anyway
It's not a problem the way you think it is. It's a program as in you can't overclock the memory high, but it's not like your computer won't start. Any DDR4 will run by default at 2400MHz and anything over that has to be set manually, it's not like your build isn't going to work or something, it's just the possible overclock that is smaller

pcpartpicker.com/list/tpDhJV
Purpose
>Play Left 4 Dead 2, Resident Evil 5, Bayonetta 1
>Dolphin/PCSX2 emulator
>Mild video editing
Budget
>700-800 USD
I'm planning on doing this mid May. I also don't really care much for modern AAA titles so I'll mostly just emulate.

Opinions? This is my first time building a computer so anything would be nice.

nah should be fine, it's either just unstable or your didn't give it enough power to run at those speeds.

So I didn't fry it by ramping up clock speed and going from whatever default voltage is to ~1.18 or 1.19?

pcpartpicker.com/list/9jQLBP

Any suggestions on this? Budget is ~$900

>I also don't really care much for modern AAA titles so I'll mostly just emulate.
He says while building a pc that handles aaa titles well at 1080p60fps ultra

It will works extremely well, in fact it's very overkill for emulation (gpu-wise) but it's a very solid build

Getting a 1600 instead of a 1500x and downgrading the Rx 480 to a rx 470 would benefit your video-editing more, wouldn't change much for emulation and would also benefit your emulation more (so that some of the very demanding emulators out there like cemu that use 4 core are not affected by the programs running on the two other ones), though that wouldn't change anything for dolphin (not really sure how PCSX2 performs but iirc it uses 8 threads so having more than what it uses is also good here).

It would also cost the same
pcpartpicker.com/list/yxtrf8

I did say it's my first time building a computer so I have no idea what's overkill or not. But it's nice to know I have the option I guess.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sdgqyf
Thoughts? Suggestions? My budget is $1500, already stretching it a bit from my old one.

i wasn't scolding you user

Alright building the damn thing was a piece of cake but getting this shit up and running is the biggest pain in the ass. I can't figure out how to get it to boot from USB. I'm using the X370 Taichi and it's detecting my SSD and Optical Drive but I can't figure out how to boot form USB/ Removable devices.

I also only have flash drive and not ethernet cable so I can't flash to the newest BIOS without either buying an ethernet cable, or overwriting the Windows USB I made to put the BIOS on it...fuck I feel unprepared.

I wasn't trying to sound snarky.
Plz no bully.

Anyway, if I did go with the other processor and downgraded graphics card, how would that change on the modern games for reference?

You only really need your OS on an SSD.
You could get a cheaper one and a couple 1TB hard drives if you wanted to.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/tpDhJV
mobo is kinda expensive to pair with a 1500X. If you're going to spend that much, you can get the mATX gaming 3 for $95 instead.
But yeah, that computer is overpowered for those purposes. You could wait for Raven Ridge, but those won't be out in May.
Even a g4560 with the iGPU will do PSCX 2 and Dolphin.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/9jQLBP
Why the 1060?
And get at least 2800 RAM, it shouldn't cost that much more.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/sdgqyf
>$1500
>pissant 240GB SSD
There's been 1TB SSDs on sale for like $200-$250. Get one of them if it's not a shitty model.
>$370 for a 1070. And for 1080p
Get 1440p.
>the monitor isn't Gsync, and is a higher hz than the GPU will operate at
idk I guess you can underclock it? I'm not sure how far you can underclock those 144hz monitors.

Get an RX580 8GB and spend those savings on a decent 1440p Freesync monitor instead. You'll have that monitor way longer than you'll have the GPU, and if you'll probably end up regretting spending so much on a 1070 just to have a shitty monitor.

>Why the 1060?
What would you suggest otherwise for this budget?
>2800 RAM
Does clockspeed matter now?

It's solid, not much that can be improved upon here. Could get a cheaper mobo though, unless you do need that one / a x370 for some reason?

Solid too, no reason to change anything. Fan case are unneeded but are nice to have as it's probably the thing that last the longest in a PC. Your build is good

>I also only have flash drive and not ethernet cable so I can't flash to the newest BIOS without either buying an ethernet cable, or overwriting the Windows USB I made to put the BIOS on it...fuck I feel unprepared.
Don't rush the bios update, it's needed only for performance improvements. Also i'm not sure of how Asrock bios work, but for Asus mobo you just need a file on a storage (may it be one of the hard drive, an usb, ssd) without needing the storage to be overwritten, just another file among all the others. Are oyu sure it's not the same for asrock?

There are so many safety cutoffs in modern intel CPUs you'd be hard pressed to kill that thing.
They're absolutely idiot proof...

Beyond pumping something stupid like 2.2V to core at stock clocks.

no you did not, reset CMOS.

It was an AMD but I assume thes rest still stands.
Already done.

Thanks guys.

pcpartpicker.com/list/FJv2NN

Already have the RAM, SSD, and HDD. Is there anything I should change? Trying to cut down the cost. Will be using this mainly just for gaming, nothing too extensive.

>AMD/AMD combo

Sorry you're not worth my time.

You don't need a cooler if you are getting a 1600. I would suggest either a SSD if you are going SSD-only or a HDD. A 1TB HDD is only about $50. Don't get the EVGA 1060 though, either go MSI or Gigabyte if you want a 1060. I would personally suggest the RX 480/580 but if the 1060 is cheaper then get it. You honestly don't need the fans either but if its an aesthetic thing that's fine too.
You don't need that expensive mobo with your CPU, nor do you need a cooler. Besides that it looks fine though.

What would you suggest instead?

Well, performance on modern game would go down it's pretty irrelevant considering the Rx 470 can still hit 60fps consistently on most AAA games at ultra. And on those it can't lowering a very few settings without it being even noticeable would fix it

>Does clockspeed matter now?
Ryzen likes clockspeed a lot, but it's not that important as the performance evee on 2133MHz kits is still great and improvements can only be seen if the CPU is the bottleneck in the first place, which will not happen unless you play at low settings, low res & with a gtx 1070.

rude man

Could downgrade the RX 480 into an Rx 470 and still do well in modern games
Also, you should considering getting a freesync monitor as they cost the same as regular ones

don't listen to him he's a shill

can i overlock a 1600 with just the stock cooler?

>You're too anxious then
Thanks user, I appreciate the help

Back to you man child

An RX580, obviously...
Radeon+Ryzen is the smoothest so long as it still delivers the power you need. The 1060 is going to be faster in a few games, like I think Overwatch, but it's not smooth in quite a number of others.

Given that you're probably on 1080p 60hz, you should probably just get an RX570 4GB.

>Does clockspeed matter now?
It always has. People just lied to shill i5s that could only use 2400 to begin with as that's all most Intel chipsets supported other than Z270 ones.
It won't matter hardly when you'll be GPU bottlenecked anyway, but you may as well spend the extra $5-$10 on a bit faster RAM.
Ryzen likes RAM clockspeed a bit more than Intel, as well.
AMD CPUs have always liked dual-rank RAM more, as well. Especially the APUs, but all of them really.

Yes
My R7 1700, on stock cooler, can run at 3.7GHz on all 8 cores with prime95 and after 5 minutes it will slowly reach around 65~
But not that i have a pretty good airflow in my case on top of 5 140mm tower fans, also note that this is during a stress test & that the 1600 has 2 less cores so it would heat up less

>Well, performance on modern game would go down it's pretty irrelevant considering the Rx 470 can still hit 60fps consistently on most AAA games at ultra. And on those it can't lowering a very few settings without it being even noticeable would fix it
Thanks for the input user!

Alright I need some seriously help from X370 Taichi owners.
I have a Windows 10 Boot Drive i nthe form some Sandisk 16GB Flash drive I got on the cheap. I'm trying to boot form it to isntall the windows 10 process. I'm on the earliest BIOS version and I can't seem to get it to detect or even give me the option to boot from a USB. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm ready to give up and go to bed.

>can i overlock a 1600 with just the stock cooler?
Yeah to like 3.7-3.8GHz, it generally seems. Unless you get some golden silicon, or you're just able to run it under stability with the applications you run, you will need a better cooler to hit 4GHz but 3.7-3.8 on a 6 core is generally plenty.

>Could downgrade the RX 480 into an Rx 470 and still do well in modern games
I've heard that a 8GB graphics card will last me longer, how much credence is there to that? Because I've also been told that you should spend the most on your graphics card and the second most on your CPU. Will get a freesync monitor though.

It should detect the USB regardless of what it contains so not sure why it's not showing up, but you should go to bed anyway

Well what you heard is true, a 8GB card today means there is 0 risk of needing to turn down texture quality or anything memory hungry. The majority of games will not hit 4GB but some games (i think the latest deux ex does) will eat 4GB at the highest of highest settings. Getting the Rx 480 is definitely much safer if you want to keep your GPU longer

>2tb ssd
Cant stretch the budget that far
>freesync 1440p
Again, budget
pcpartpicker.com/list/zYtrf8

How much would you recommend I spend on the RX 480/580 though? How much is overpaying for it?

Just looked into free sync monitors. THe only one in my price range is a 22" one and I've been told to just get a 24" monitor if I will be using my computer for gaming. How much will I lose if I get a 22" one?

You can't stretch it for that because you wasted the budget on stuff you'll probably end up replacing in 1-3 years.

For $1500, you /should/ be able to get a 1TB SSD and 1440p freesync monitor.
Anyway, I already gave my recommendations.

Yeah but those textures are made for 4k resolution, which you're not displaying on a 480/580 to begin with. You should be turning them down anyway.
AMD GPUs also don't simply shit the bed when a game allocates more VRAM than they have.

Get one of the best RX580s if it's for 1440p. They're like $250-$270.
If it's for 1080p, just $170 for an RX570 4GB is good. Having more VRAM for future games won't help when you don't have the processing power so it's better to just upgrade later.
But if you can find an RX480 8GB for $180, that can be a better buy anyway. It's down to price/performance.

Depends on the country, in US the majority of RX 480/580/GTX 1060 are priced around $220. Anything over $250 would be overpaying quite a lot, so stick around $220 ~ 230 or lower

What is your price range? Maybe you need to look harder.
24" is a bit too large for 1080p though, imo. 24"-27" for 1440p. But it ultimately depends on how far away from your face you put it..

gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list

I was initially thinking just to get an RX 570 but I don't know how much performance I would be sacrificing. If I would end up saving the money for a future upgrade, I would gladly do that, especially since I'm investing in a 6 core processor.
If 24" is too large for 1080p, I think a 22" should be fine then.

>I don't know how much performance I would be sacrificing.
Check benchmarks of the RX 570/580 in the games you are going to play then, there's plenty of them

>If 24" is too large for 1080p, I think a 22" should be fine then.

It's more a question of the distance from your screen and more of a taste. 24" is perfectly fine for 1080p, but you might find it quite big. It's nothing really bothering too unless you're very very close to your screen.

Oh wow great. I was actually planning on getting a 1600x and a separate cooler but i guess ill just get the 1600 instead.

As far as RX 570s go, which would you recommend? Is there any specific brand/model that I should get from or are any of them fine?

I got the 1600X since I wanted a different cooler anyway and it was $220.
>ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&_sacat=175673&_saslop=1&_sasl=refurbforless ryzen 5
1500X is also $170 there, and the 1400 $153.
I'm not certain that AMD will honor warranty returns from this seller, though. But at least ebay will protect against DoAs and shit.

screensnip the cheapest ones available to you. Or the ones all within like $10 of the lowest price.

>GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 ($170)
>MSI ARMOR Radeon RX 570 ($175)
>GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 570 ($180)
>ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 ($180)
>ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC Version Radeon RX 570 ($190)
>MSI Gaming X Radeon RX 570 ($190)
>PowerColor RED DEVIL Radeon RX 570 ($190)
>XFX RS XXX Edition Radeon RX 570 ($190)

Thanks for the help in advance.

I said screencap it so I can probably see some of the specs. Get sharex or some shit.

you should get the sapphire pulse 580/4 for $199.

beware threadlets poorfgt battleship incoming.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PhLff8

Pic related

It is out of stock my dude

Red Devil is probably the best performing. 1320MHz iirc.
The Aorus is probably the best performing, but they're loud.

But at those prices, you should buy one of those RX580 4GB for

Thank you for the advice. I will probably end up getting the RX 580 4GB Sapphire Pulse. This is what my build looks like now, what do you think?

pcpartpicker.com/list/NWvNFd

Can't decide between purchasing a high base clock 1070 (Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming, Zotac AMP! extreme) or a lower tier 1080 (Asus Turbo). Which will I see more longevity out of when paired with my Ryzen 7 1700 (which I have stable at 3.9Ghz)? For 21:9 1440p.

I'd go mATx. You can get a better mATX board for less, and get a better cheaper case like the Carbide 88r when it's mATX.
Just make sure you get one that has the 1x slot above the GPU for your wifi card.

You should probably wait for Vega so you can get a cheaper freesync monitor. 21:9 is a mistake, tho. Plus the lack of DX12/Vulkan/Gameworks issues.
But of those options, a

1080 if price isnt an issue, because you can always overclock it later down the road

Of the currently avaliable mobos (i.e. the ones that aren't sold out) I could only find ones that had the 1x slot below the GPU slot, not above it.

>ddr3
nope.jpg
get the gaming 3 matx. it has the same 1220 audio as the x370 boards vs the cheapo 887 chip on the atx, both have the same 4+3 phase design. other good b350 are Asrock pro4 with 3x2+3 phase, it may run cooler, and Asus prime plus but only if you need the 8x8 pci for xfire.

> Vega
Is there a confirmed launch date yet?

The mATX pro4 has it above, unless that's sold out.

No, other than Q2, but all signs point to May.
I think we'll get a concrete date after the earnings report which is May 1st iirc.

No, it's out this quarter though so june 30 at worst. We've also seen increased number of news (though nothing really interesting) these past few days so amd seems on the move already

What a cute Dragon.

post things that look like IBM but is actually affordable

i'll start: DeepCool Dukase v2

The ATX version is, the mATX version isn't.
I'm leaning towards the Pro4. How good are their boards?

I don't mean to shit on AMD or anything, Vega being successful will be great for the market, but there's always another release around the corner. Hard to keep waiting for shit doods.

Might have to limp my way into May/June with the ol' GTX 690.

>but there's always another release around the corner.
AMD making a massive comeback isn't something that happens very often
People that waited for Ryzen were very glad they did it

>Want to get a freesync monitor
>freesync 2 is coming out this year

God damn it

I'm going to be purchasing a 7700k and 1080. What mobos would yall recommend for a 4.8Ghz OC? I'm also keeping an eye out for sales on 1440p 144hz monitors- any suggestions there? Thanks boiz

The difference is Freesync and better drivers.
AMD GPU are never a stuttering mess like Nvidia are on many games.

Smoothness is better than higher averages, as long as it's not that much lower. But I'm quite sure Vega is going to be very good and deliver high minimums/averages as well.
Even if you simply doubled the size of the RX580, that would be competitive with the 1080Ti. But Vega is more than that.

>look like IBM
>posts that shit
What did he mean by this ?

I hear you. I owned a X700PRO back in the day and was very stoked to buy a 1700. I want them to succeed.

Making a cheap movie/Dolphin/PCSX2 box that's going to be hooked up to a HDTV, anything to change/add? Can't think of any upcoming games I'm interested in.
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/VfTtBP
If anyone's got case suggestions that would be helpful if they'reshorter than 17 inches.

Is it worth paying bout €100 more for an r5 1600+b350 mobo system compared to an i5 7500+b250 system? Also are there any manufacturers I need to avoid for 580?

Forgot to mention that the price difference also includes 3000 mhz ram for the ryzen build compared to the 2400 mhz ram for the intel. Also, is it absolutely necessary to go for higher ram speeds in a ryzen system or can i make do with 2400 or maybe 2667?

>is slightly more money worth 3x the multithreaded performance, and better single threaded on top of that
idk senpai

Higher is better, but I believe 2666 is around where you start getting diminishing returns.

I thought it had marginally worse single thread performance. In this case it seems like a no brainer, especially since I plan to do more than just gayman (simulations with matlab and python and a whole lotta vhdl stuff). I was just kinda cautious since I'm on a tight budget.

Roight, that's what I thought. 2x8 gb ram is probably the best option nowadays right?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YdkzgL
smaller if that's what you wanted, 2400mhz single channel so you can take advvantage of 200 series ram speed and upgrade to 16gb ram and a 4 core later if you decided to.

Has anyone dealt with newegg refurbs before? I'm looking at picking up the PG248Q they have on sale, but used/refurb anything is enough to make me shy away, and I've heard mixed things about newegg's customer service.

Will the rx 580 work well with my ryzen 5 1600?

>If anyone's got case suggestions that would be helpful if they'reshorter than 17 inches.
Rosewill SRM-01 is one of the smallest decent mATX cases.
Silverstone makes some as well. TJ08 or some shit.

>I thought it had marginally worse single thread performance
That's a pretty dumb thought.
The i5-7500 turbo is only 3.8Ghz. And it's only 3.8Ghz on all 4 cores if your motherboard supports "multi-core enhancement".

Yeah. I'd highly recommend Newegg or Amazon refurbs. They don't BS with returns.
I have not really heard mixed things. Only time I've heard someone claiming Newegg fucked them over it was entirely their fault and they were being faggots.

is this even a question?
yes it will.

pcpartpicker.com/list/K3ZcvV

>regular normie games (non aaa titles like starcraft or diablo 3)
>programming
>browsing
>planning on dual booting
>waiting for the rx 560 because it'll probably be the best gpu for me (at least for what I'm doing)

Any suggestions as to what to change? I assume that the gpu will push the price towards 800 euros.

Why not a mATX case since that's a mATX board?
Why that mainboard instead of the pro4 or something? It tends to be hard to utilize those x1 when they're all sandwiched between the x8 slots.
If you got it for the audio, just get a DAC instead.
And semi-modular PSU? Or is the price really that much different?
Looks fine otherwise.

>planning on dual booting
Get two SSDs. Grub and other things can fuck up Windows if they're on the same drive.

>waiting for the rx 560 because it'll probably be the best gpu for me (at least for what I'm doing)
Yeah probably. An RX550 would do, but at least in the USA the price is too much to be worth it.

What do you guys put in your drive bays?
I currently just want to turn it into a drawer

I removed it to have more space
probably gonna add another hard drive bay on top of the current one since i have 7 hard drive

>thinking about buying a CPU cooler that is too tall to fit in my case

QUICK SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF I!

Your case is like 85% empty.

Get a Cryorig C1

TOO LATE

>Your case is like 85% empty.
that's an old pic, i got a new mobo & cpu since, but didn't have any photo that showed the case that wall

Recommend me a big case that has big windows so i can see inside my computer pls

hey fellas, i'm building a second PC.

Where can i get an authentic copy of Windows 7/8/10 ISO's from? Digital River is apparently gone.

I don't really want to download 8.1 from pirate bay.

(roughly 28usd) Not too bad. But it won't fit in my case cause it's to tall :(

Probably doesn't matter because i'm going to replace the side panel with mesh for more airflow

Are you in university? You can get free keys for here:

onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8-pro-for-students/

onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/

Otherwise torrent:
Windows 10 Enterprise N 2016 LTSB X64 en-US Feb 2017-v2 {Gen2}

I'm not using windows 10. And no, i'm not.