What should I upgrade first?

What should I upgrade first?

If not your mom, then GPU.

upgrade to ryzen

Upgrade your operating system to Debian Testing.

Is ryzen good or is it just a meme? Considering going with an i7

You have more than a decent machine.
If you are up for some gaymez, consider buying 1060/1080 gtx.
Otherwise you are fine, don't waste money on the things you don't need or even want.

upgrade operating system to GNU/Linux

You are actually all good. For that screen rez, you are fine.

I would suggest a ~500GB SSD, and a 1440p@144Hz screen, depending on the budget.

Thanks, I've been very happy with it so far. Built ir probably 6-7 months ago or so.

Would a 1440 monitor slam my framerates?

you are fine user, wait 2 more years

Would cut your framerate by something like 30-40%. But you can reduce AA to compensate, and upgrading beyond a 970 is overkill for 1080p.

>fx 8320
>radeon hd 7870 2gb
>8gb ddr3 ram
What upgrade?
Is Ryzen worth getting or is it trash now that the benchmarks have come out and the hype is over?

how well does the 8320 clock?

3.5 Ghz
Can overclock because shitty mobo
If im going to upgrade my pc id rather just assemble a whole new one

u
Cant***

I went from [email protected] to 1700X (Haven't OC'd yet because waiting for correct watercooling bracket)
I'd say that it's only worth it if you want the features that the platform offers (USB3.1g2,PCIe3.0,NVMe, etc), or you just want a faster computer.

1600/B350, 6700k/z170 are the best bang for the buck right now.

>not even 1tb of storage
lel

Ryzen is objectively very, very good.

Your OS
> Install Gentoo

>your life
>your 3.5gb vram gpu
>your monitor, higher resolution/refresh rate
>your cpu
in that order

Just want a faster computer

Yeah, it's definitely fast. If all you want to to is play games, the 7700K is faster in most cases, but it's typically better at everything else

Get on my level.

Ayyy my Phenom II X2 550 bro! Replaced it with an 8320, then Ryzen, but it still gets use as a file server.
It hasn't run Windows for about 3 years now, how well is it holding up?

Not holding up at all.
I'm getting 99% CPU readings watching 1080p video and can't play anything newer than Left 4 Dead 2 at 1080p 60.

Have you overclocked it?
I got mine to 3.7GHz pretty stable with minimal voltage bumps.

I had a light overclock at some point but it's been running at stock frequency the last few years.
Maybe that's why everything's still working though. I've had this system since 2009 or '10 I think.

The silicon was designed to run at 3.7GHz at up to 1.4v, which is what the X4 980 shipped with.
1.45 was considered the "safe maximum" for overclocking.

what about me
what should i upgrade

CPU. Go to Ryzen.

i7 is a stutter fest plus it is not future proof like the Ryzen. So no, the Ryzen is not a meme.

This and this

Don't listen to , the GTX 1060 is barely an upgrade from the GTX 970. Go with the 1080 if you ever want to upgrade your machine, anything less than that is a waste of money.

This

It's good. No, it's not a meme. If anything it's just objectively better overall.
But just upgrading to a 4790k would be a lot cheaper for you.

You might want to upgrade GPU before that 970 shits the bucket, though. 970s run worse than a $60 GPU when a game uses over 3.5GB of VRAM. Currently you can still scam Nvidia fanboys out of like $150+ for a 970 when they should be worth closer to $100.

OS

Can do.

Its running a Phenom II 940 now.

>gaming
Intel
>streaming/workstation
Ryzen

Saved you from all the amd fanboys

Only if you mean a used 2600 or 4790K. Kabylake is horribly overpriced and four cores will be lowend soon.