/uni/ thread

>first year CS in top university in country for computers and engineering
>over half the students in compsci and software engineering have never programmed once in their life, probably closer to three quarters
>and they chose to study computer science at university in order to pursue a career
I thought you guys were projecting or just fucking around with that CS graduate meme but it's fucking real. Why are any of you insecure about your job prospects?

>people go to university to learn, programming being one of the things
>expects people to already know how to program just because you the learned it in your free time

You're the one that's insecure. Yes people go to university to learn you imbecile. Some start from zero, some have a headstart but ideally it will balance out. Stop being a cocky asshole and use your headstart for good, to actually get in lead and maybe even help other students. Then again you probably never leave your bedroom.

ITT: OP is amazed that you go to learn something to learn something.

I expect a person who wants to persue a career successfully to consider gaining experience, if not simply to find out whether that is what they want to do with their life or not. If you are going to pump serious money into university, why waste it on something you have never explored?

If I wanted an arts degree, I'd be insane not to practice that art at least weekly.

You have clearly never dealt with normalfags before. They do not attend classes because they like technology nor do they show any interest in it. Only thing they see is yearly salary figures.

And yes, I am using my head start to my advantage and I am sharing my knowledge to assist other people. Im not a selfish shithead in real life, I just seem like one as I vent my disbelief.

>You have clearly never dealt with normalfags before
That's a fair cop.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I remember one kid I knew who had SoftEng in a dual degree since his parents forced him to.

>help other students
lmao look at this stupid fag

I'm not going to call you a samefag because I'm not 100% sure you are. I am, however, 100% sure you're retarded.

Saged.

>my sister is gonna get into my dream school because she has a vagina
>her stats are around mine but since there is a 70-30 male to female ratio, females get in really easily

2 out of 4 isn't bad. Also, stop thinking people who disagree with you are retarded. Thats retarded.

Over here there are more girls than expected (due to scholarships and programs, etc.) But its still about 10:1

wew man you're a faggot

OP if you are first year college you are too young to remember ren and stimpy...you actually wanted to watch that shit?

fucking cuck

That's the result of one major problem with uni - is that you have these kids that are grown up being told that they can be and do whatever they want
They live in their boring, ordinary, safe, suburban neighborhoods doing nothing creative with their lives so they pick a career they're not passionate about because they don't know better.

> I can't be assed to learn even BASIC if I don't get graded
> I will be at least a decent software dev

choose one

Oh man, people go to university to learn something new, what a weird fucking phenomenon.

Yea. I'm almost done with my 4th semester and I litterally have to explain what a pointer is to some of the people here. I'm even only scoring B's and C's... I am amazed on how they even got to 4th...

Just hope the retardation levels drop next semester enough so I don't have to write 80% of the code for the semester projects..

A lot of these people will end up getting paid more than you because they have better social skills OP
Remember that when you think you're superior because you're "going to" "contribute" to "science" or something equally delusional

>tfw the rest of first year is complaining about Java being too much work
It's the end of the year and we've only just met HashMaps. It's fucking easy.

I didn't know any programming when I started.
I fucked around with some bash and I new how to use a text editor, but basically, I knew nothing.
Now I am writing my masters and I feel comfortable with programming. There is maybe one or two people in my class who I wouldn't trust to implement something but the rest is good.
None of them are good because of stuff they learned outside uni.
Studying something for yourself is different than studying it at a university.
Over my education, I have learned to study. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are better than everyone because some day you will be matched up against someone else who is either smarter than you or just as smart and then you need to prove your worth.
And you don't do that by alienating yourself from your classmates.
Teaching them can help your own understanding as you think of stuff in a different way, but they are also more likely to talk to you when you need to.
Even if they teach you nothing, you have created a network of smart people in your field and that is worth more than the time you would spend watching Netflix at your home.

>over half the students in __ have never done __ work once in their life

>and they chose to study __

People go to school to learn, just because they didn't learn to hack minecraft in html like you did doesn't mean you're better than them.

sorry that was meant for I agree with your post.

whatever you have in practical skills you lack in social skills

you will see how important those social skills are once you graduate m8

I go to the top uni (I think) for computer engineering in my country, and to me it seems a lot tougher than those Anglo comp sci courses due to the emphasis on mathematics, physics and theory in general from the first year.

I also had no prior experience with programming and the first language we were supppsed to learn was C. I haven't passed the exam yet although it's evident that the course was only really suitable for those who had already done plenty of programming. I found the programs they had us write during the exam were a little too hard compared to the exercises offered in class. And the professor is a woman and is actually rude as fuck.

C is not the best introduction to programming. It's too much about how the machine works, rather than what you want to compute.

what kind f physics, user?